Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106271 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2010
POSER.

Colour red.

Red colour.

This one, nko?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2010
Answer: Come out with flying colors
2.Helms of affairs (?)
3. Colour Red.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 7:28pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^
slap1, Odunnu and @all.

I am really sorry for this. I'd welcome dissenting views. I did say this. But, I would like people to give me a fair chance to retrace my steps. But, same hour, same minute and, haba, same second?

Abeg. I no go let you down again.
Can I take that as an apology for calling me a Arrow?(a whole me for that matter)

I find it so hard to say these kind of words to people online cos you just dont know who is behind the computer(ofcourse except Mr cork and 190).

You corrected Jarus and Slap1 on a thread and they were cool with it. Expantiate is not even a spelling mistake;its a common error by almost everybody. Just accept the fact you don't like to be corrected, and I sincerely meant no harm in my observation just to let you know.

Apologies all for the derailment!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 10, 2010
Enough, you two.

ola olabiy:

Odunnu,
POSER.

Come off with flying colours.

Come out with flying colours.

Wich one ni, jare?

Come out with flying colors.

ola olabiy:

POSER.

Colour red.

Red colour.

This one, nko?
Color red. [lol color me red]

ola olabiy:

POSER.

At the helms of affairs.

At the helm of affairs.

Abeg, tell us the correct one, jare.
At the helm of affairs.

Guessing game! Keep them coming
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2010
denzel2009:

Can I take that as an apology for calling me a Arrow?(a whole me for that matter)

I find it so hard to say these kind of words to people online cos you just dont know who is behind the computer(ofcourse except Mr cork and 190).

You corrected Jarus and Slap1 on a thread and they were cool with it. Expantiate is not even a spelling mistake;its a common error by almost everybody. Just accept the fact you don't like to be corrected, and I sincerely meant no harm in my observation just to let you know.

I am sorry! I made a mistake, sir. Thanks. I did admit 'jokes apart' as well. And, I did examine mistakes in my book.

So, I am not that egoistic.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:42pm On Oct 10, 2010
denzel2009:

Sorry, Denzel. But, before you leave, sir, check these grey areas out.

''these kind''

''a thread''.

''its''.

I sincerely apologize for calling you a Arrow.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 7:48pm On Oct 10, 2010
ahhhhh you see why you are my personal person. Hi Five cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:09pm On Oct 10, 2010
Answers to POSERS.

1. Come off with flying colours. It's a fixed expression.

2. At the helm of affairs.

3. Red colour.

But, thanks all.

You make this thread FAB.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 8:25pm On Oct 10, 2010
Awww, I was late! * saunters away thinking, "I'd have gotten it anyway"*
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2010
slap1:

Awww, I was late! * saunters away thinking, "I'd have gotten it anyway"*

Yeah, slap1, I'm sure.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:34pm On Oct 10, 2010
denzel2009:

ahhhhh you see why you are my personal person. Hi Five cheesy cheesy

I don see, Denzel kiss kiss.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 8:53pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

Fabulous kiss kiss [s]We are not batties but metrosexual[/s]

Now more posers pls.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^
OK.

POSERS.

This is very unique.

He is the worsiest enemy of the country.

The bill must be settled as at when due.

Please, tell us if they are correct or wrong.

If incorrect, what part (s) is/are incorrect.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 10:25pm On Oct 10, 2010
how many times did y'all repeat primary 1?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^
OK.

POSERS.

This is very unique. CORRECT -----> This/That

He is the worsiest enemy of the country. INCORRECT ----> Worst

The bill must be settled as at when due. INCORRECT---> can you use "as" and "at" together? undecided

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 10:56pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^Olodo
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2010
chamotex:

^^^Olodo
lol you just dey jelos mi.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 10:11am On Oct 11, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^
OK.

POSERS.

This is very unique.

He is the worsiest enemy of the country.

The bill must be settled as at when due.

The first poser is correct. However, it is not in every case that the adjectives 'very' and 'unique' go together. They may only be used when 'unique' is used to describe something VERY SPECIAL OR UNUSUAL. E.g: She has a very unique voice. This is MY own answer, I may not be totally correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 11:03am On Oct 11, 2010
There is nothing like This is very unique

This is Unique.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2010
denzel2009:

This is Unique.
But my dictionary says otherwise, sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 11:44am On Oct 11, 2010

The bill must be settled as at when due.[/b]

For this I'd rather write: The bill must be settled in due course.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by parki: 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2010
nobody cares about english abeg. you guys should get on with something else.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 1:38pm On Oct 11, 2010
parki:

nobody cares about english abeg. you guys should get on with something else.
Speak for yourself, dude. You sound like you just lost a job. Did you?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Pennywise(m): 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2010
@OP
My own contribution is from an English lecture I had a long time ago (GS001) about not ending a sentence with a proposition or something of the sort- like 'where are you at'?

Unfortunately, the lecturer was young, sexy and too fine. I was distracted from begining  to the end. Can you throw more light on this pls
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2010
ola olabiy:

Just curious, what are you? A Professor of English undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 11, 2010
slap1:

Speak for yourself, dude. You sound like you just lost a job. Did you?
grin grin grin grin

denzel2009:

This is Unique.
I kinda agree with you. If it's already unique, how MORE unique can it get? undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2010
It was a mistake.
But, Denzel worded his question wrongly. Hence my . . . .

Trust me I knew the spelling but I pronounce it that way.

He didn't even wait for me to re-read my post.

Obviously, he had been lurking for a while, looking for mistakes, one way or the other.

Imagine this: I posted at 02:58:33pm
And he asked his question at 02:58:33pm

He must be jealous. Why? Well, I have you and Odunnu on my thead. Bad belle.

LOL @ Ola grin grin

You are paranoid sha . . . grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by shadrach77: 2:26pm On Oct 11, 2010
this thread is quite interesting - but it is ironic that the header of the thread is grammatically wrong
NB: error and mistake are the same thing - see the meaning of error below:

er·ror
   /ˈɛrər/ Show Spelled[er-er] Show IPA
–noun
a deviation from accuracy or correctness; a mistake, as in action or speech: His speech contained several factual errors.
belief in something untrue; the holding of mistaken opinions.
the condition of believing what is not true: in error about the date.
a moral offense; wrongdoing; sin.
Baseball . a misplay that enables a base runner to reach base safely or advance a base, or a batter to have a turn at bat prolonged, as the dropping of a ball batted in the air, the fumbling of a batted or thrown ball, or the throwing of a wild ball, but not including a passed ball or wild pitch.
Mathematics . the difference between the observed or approximately determined value and the true value of a quantity.
Law .
a.
a mistake in a matter of fact or law in a case tried in a court of record.
b.
writ of error.
Philately . a stamp distinguished by an error or errors in design, engraving, selection of inks, or setting up of the printing apparatus. Compare freak1 ( def. 5 ) , variety ( def. 8 ) .

Also please note: it should be english language not english - The word English can be used to describe a native of England hence, you need to use the word 'language' in this particular situation
grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2010
I also noticed that most Nigerians dont know the meaning of blackmail. to them blackmail means to speak ill of someone [ or something] so its not uncommon to hear some one go like ' I hate her, she blackmails me a lot' cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2010
@Shadrach77. Thanks for the contribution.@Ileke-Idi. I use the 7th edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. It says I'm correct.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by german007(m): 2:43pm On Oct 11, 2010
A lot of people make this common mistake of using "am" to replace "I'm".

Example "Am Okay" "Am at your house" "Am driving".

Instead of "Im Okay" "I'm at your house" "I'm driving"

cool   cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blank(f): 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2010
Love this. I am subscribing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.