Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106146 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:48am On Oct 10, 2010
slap1:

^^ I sincerely think your post belongs to the Jokes Section. I don't think the answers to these 'questions' will improve your grasp of English language. That's my opinion, though.

Abeg, tell am o.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:08am On Oct 10, 2010
Odunnu:

@Phate07, its an interesting read but thats not what this thread is about. We are doing 'common errors and mistakes' and your post is defunct of any error.
Maybe you should start a thread so we could discuss 'why is it that. . .?'

The guy funny pass Osita Iheme.

He should start a thread. It should be called 'Figures of Speech'.

Odunnu, na your pix be dat?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:23am On Oct 10, 2010
POSER.

Please, answer this poser.

Jokes apart, I meant it

Joke apart, I meant it

Joking apart, I meant it

Please, tell us the correct one. Abeg.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 10, 2010
@OP, you're doin a great job. Keep it up! As for the poser, the correct one is: Joking apart, I meant it. But the 1st one is commonly used, maybe it is correct too, I don't Know
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2010
So how's understanding of the English language going to change your life, career wise?

yeah.

ola olabiy:

POSER.

Please, answer this poser.

Jokes apart . . . . , I meant it

Joke apart . . . . . ., I meant it

Joking apart. . . . . ., I meant it

Please, tell us the correct one. Abeg.

Joking Apart, I meant it  [meant it? why not "mean it"?

People tend to use "Jokes apart, I mean it".
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2010
Correct! Thanks, my people.

And, Ileke I should have used 'mean' and not 'meant'.

That does not mean 'meant' is grammatically wrong, though. Eg. You did something 'quirky' last week and your friends now think it was off the cuff, a bit tongue-in-cheek Then you can use 'meant' if you truely meant it.

Told you all. Mai darling is BRILLIANT!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:06pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

So how's understanding of the English language going to change your life, career wise?

yeah.

Joking Apart, I meant it  [meant it? why not "mean it"?

People tend to use "Jokes apart, I mean it".

I don't know why we all prefer 'jokes apart' ( me sef, at times).
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:11pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

This English 'thing' happened in the 90's.

I am trying to serialize my book here.

I am not into the language again.

I am trying to take my career up a notch. Hence, my interest in professional accounting certification.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:13pm On Oct 10, 2010
And, 'joking apart/aside' is actually an IDIOM.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

Sorry, my pple. Yesterday was hectic. Holed up somewhere around West End. It was wicked.
Chei! Odunnu don finish me o. Old ke? Lai lai! Tkb417 old pass me sef  grin. No wonder you dey use all these sirs sirs ( my primary school teachers luv d word).
I read most threads but I don't just comment a lot.
And, I have learnt from you as well.

You are a chartered accountant. I have a few papers to complete this. So, academically and socially, you are right up my street. But this tkb417 dey fall my hand.
Aren't you around 25? No be so? We dey the same bracket, den tongue.
My parents want me to get married, nau. They really do. But with you, I no think tkb no go gree. So, I hope Ileke says yes, sha. Still waiting for her.

And, who no like brain and beauty like you  tongue wink. My Ileke brilliant, too sha.

. . . . tkb comes in. . . . . . . . ola leaves the room. . . .(act1 scene1).
Lol! You have a nice sense of humour. I'm not 25 yet and I respect authority -its a part of me. Since you are authority in this thread/language,as far as i'm concerned,u are 'Sir'.
About Tkb, the guy is really slacking,na when Chamotex or Slap1 pay my bride price na him e go wake up from sleep.
ola olabiy:

The guy funny pass Osita Iheme.

He should start a thread. It should be called 'Figures of Speech'.

Odunnu, na your pix be dat?

had to look at my profile again to be sure of the photo there,I change my profile pix like 2ce in a day.Yez,thats my pretty 'me'. You like it?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^Odunnu,
slap1, chamotex. E gba mi! plenti pple. Na only tkb I fear sha. The guy fit take loan ( e get access nau) woo you.

And, you fine o. I likey, well well.

Ileke sef no want me.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2010
Odunnu, age: 1009.

Ileke, age: 43.

Abeg, babes, expantiate.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 3:02pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

Odunnu, age: 1009.

Ileke, age: 43.

Abeg, babes, expantiate.

Is there something like that in English?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2010
denzel2009:

Like what o? Se na d 'n' dey worry you?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2010
People say[b] Expantiate[/b] whereas it is[b] Expatiate[/b]

I might be wrong though.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:10pm On Oct 10, 2010
denzel2009:

Don't let me 'form' for here o. If you vex me kpere, i go show off my English skills and make you look like . . . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2010
Please form oh. Learnt a few things here already!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:15pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^
I have been waiting for your type. After 6 pages of this thread, with many appreciative comments, you came up with something expected of a shadow cabinet. Forever anti!
And, I am sure you have benefited immensely here.

Imagine! A spelling mistake?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:17pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^
And, me, I no dey look face (your signature). You shouldn't have worded your question that way.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^
You should have asked me about 'abeg' too.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 3:29pm On Oct 10, 2010
Chill out man, you have been doing a good job here and can't deny the fact that it has helped immensely. Abeg, I no dey fight!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

This English 'thing' happened in the 90's.

I am trying to serialize my book here.

I am not into the language again.

I am trying to take my career up a notch. Hence, my interest in professional accounting certification.

Yea I know. . . . I asked you HOW [/b]Understanding the depth of the English language going to help you your career. My major has nothing to do with English, I've only taken 1 course lmao!

denzel2009:

People say[b] Expantiate
whereas it is[b] Expatiate[/b]

I might be wrong though.
lol I do the "expantiate" thing. I even say it like that.

Expatiate doesnt sound right on my tongue, feels like I got sth stuck in my throat.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea I know. . . . I asked you [b]HOW [/b]Understanding the depth of the English language going to help you your career. My major has nothing to do with English, I've only taken 1 course lmao!
lol I do the "expantiate" thing. I even say it like that.

Expatiate doesnt sound right on my tongue, feels like I got sth stuck in my throat.

I didn't say 'help'. It was like a hobby then.

I am try to change my career by racking up more qualifiactions and experience. In my field. Not in English language.

That's what I meant.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:03pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yea I know. . . . I asked you HOW [/b]Expatiate doesnt sound right on my tongue, feels like I got sth stuck in my throat.

It was a mistake.
But, Denzel worded his question wrongly. Hence my . . . .

Trust me I knew the spelling but I pronounce it that way.

He didn't even wait for me to re-read my post.

Obviously, he had been lurking for a while, looking for mistakes, one way or the other.

Imagine this: I posted at [b]02:58:33pm

And he asked his question at 02:58:33pm

He must be jealous. Why? Well, I have you and Odunnu on my thead. Bad belle.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2010
Why are you like this? Its a common error and your are taking it personally.(you see I learnt that from you).

Sorry if I worded the question wrongly.(No offeinse) cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^
Jealous Arrow, is 'personally' an incorrect word?

'Personally' is an English word of North American origin.

'Take (something) personally' is actually an IDIOM

We need to get your brain frozen and fed to penguins in the Antarctic. Olodo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by denzel2009: 4:30pm On Oct 10, 2010
Excuse me, is there any other problem? (Alufa ewo n'tepe)
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2010
Hey hey hey! Whats going on here?
You guys are by far better than this. Please,sheath your swords and lets move on.
Leave ths bikering for Ileke and I, and as you can see,we've outgrown it. Plz lets move on.
Mr Ola, plz whats the poser for ths evening?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 5:58pm On Oct 10, 2010
If what I don't want to think of is actually happening on this sacred thread then . . . I'd just grab Odunnu and um . . . yeah, Ileke-Idi, for the sake of EzeUche my brother, and then lock this thread!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:35pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^
slap1, Odunnu and @all.

I am really sorry for this. I'd welcome dissenting views. I did say this. But, I would like people to give me a fair chance to retrace my steps. But, same hour, same minute and, haba, same second?

Abeg. I no go let you down again.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2010
Odunnu,
POSER.

Come off with flying colours.

Come out with flying colours.

Wich one ni, jare?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:53pm On Oct 10, 2010
POSER.

At the helms of affairs.

At the helm of affairs.

Abeg, tell us the correct one, jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.