Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, I'm An Alcoholic! (31924 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / Her Family Says I Can't Marry Her Because I'm An SSCE Holder / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Lexusgs430: 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

Don't cut off your alcoholic intake completely, but gradually take steps to reduce intake, with a view to stopping......
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by successflow(m): 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
I understand how you felling everyone is addicted to one things or the other, but let me tell you it might seems not possible to change on a long run but it's not. I will advise you need to seek for counseling or if you are a Christian go and talk to a good man of God, but first you need to made up your mind you want a change and be ready to give it all its takes by looking out those things that cause your addition act I.e friends circle, environment, family etc.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by bluefilm: 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
Madam, have you considered drinking alcoholic sniper?

I'm sure once you do that, all your drinking problems will be solved once and for all.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Leviana(f): 3:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
Well I also have a drinking problem, once I start drinking I can't stop till I'm hammered, and I can't say deliberate alcohol deprivation Is easy, it's actually really hard and sometimes I crave it so bad it physically hurts,

So I don't start, my friends are people who don't drink *half of them prefer to get stoned* so I in turn don't drink with them, my roommates don't drink either. But tbh even though I know its a horrible habit, I still drink, it's actually a joke among us how Im liable to die from alcohol poisoning,

But since it's affecting you this bad and you're older than me you should probably try therapy to find the root cause of your alcoholism, once you understand that and it's taken care of, you'll find it easier to curb your alcoholism.

Edit
I forgot, never ever try to stop drinking by quitting completely, it's dangerous and can cause both physical and psychological damage, you can start by gradually reducing your daily or average intake

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Arckeen: 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
You Dey take beer ?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Badooguy: 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
First, stay out of your bad friends, second, talk to yourself about want you want in life, speak to someone that is a psychology about it.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by somehow: 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
Like a compass that never goes to its destination. Like an atlas to point people to their directions without leaving its spot.

So how have you been coping? I surely know it hasn't been easy.

Devgod:
Depression. I would have ended up like you though.
Mine is as a result of Failure in life. Like I guide people to a treasure I can't possess. All my friends are balling hard. 90% of them got help from me, in other to attain such. But I can't just help myself. No matter how I try I just can't make it to the top. I start wondering Wether some people are destined to fail!.

But in all these fustrations and depression. I never smoked or drink to get high or forget my sorrows. One thing about me us that I hate anything takes control over my conciousness. I like been in control of the way I act, think and reason. So getting high is a no no for me. Because it distorts my conciousness.
Whatever is pushing you to get drunk. Drinking would never take it away from you. Embrace it! And try to rise above it!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Starboytwo(m): 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
hopexter:
Enjoy it auntie, we are all addicted to something, God doesn't need the body anyways, it's the Soul he wants. grin grin
baba wahrah nie, u make me laff forget hunger.... God doesn't need the body, na d soul be koko grin nice one hahah

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by positivelord: 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
...I can feel your sincere desire to stop,but like most substance abuse its really hard...you have to replace it with something...if you are a christian I will suggest to be addicted to the Word of God..buy CDs of any of your preferred preacher listen continuously..go out in the evening to churches where they genuinely share the word of God...you will be surprise how much you will be restored in no time.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Mayor88(m): 3:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
gsetwhoa:
Another Viral Video Man Spotted Having Sex At A Backyard iI Festac Area Of Lagos.

See More Below

COMPLETE FULL VIDEO HERE
Geraraa here!

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2019
It's worse than being an alcoholic, health-wise. Read-up to be enlightened.

TheFacelessMan:
cry

My own addiction is energy drinks....

Don't know when to stop!

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2019
sisisioge:
Chai! This is hard o...I don't think we have AA groups or assessable rehabs here. Your best bet is to go home, tell your parents what's happening, let them lock you indoor for 4 weeks without any exposure. You would go through a lot before becoming sober. Afterwards, you've got to make conscious efforts to stop!

Your liver,kidney and general wellbeing is on the line right now maami. Good luck.
The part you suggested she should be locked up is funny.

This post is why I only cry when I've relationship issues. grin There is no point in drinking yourself to stupor thinking it would help when you'll still face reality after a hangover.

For a woman, apart from the embarrassments, the health risk associated are too many.

First, she should make a conscious effort to stay away from those friends who freely aid her drinking habit. The war between a habit and breaking out of it is being able to deprive yourself of what your body wants. Involving parents may lead to something else considering how African parents behave.

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by phardhar: 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2019
Self Realisation is the first step to deliverance. Since it is coming from your heart to stop the habit of drinking, Then pray about it and be determined in your heart. Ask the the holy spirit to be i control of your mind so he will direct you in making your decision. God be with you
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Benosa205(m): 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2019
[color=#000099][/color]Come to omega fine min. We are gifed with people who knows how to do delivances
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Kingluqman(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80521117:

Please, kindly shut up if you have no contributions to make on the topic.
This thread is not for under 15....okay?!
Be guided!

Weyre, U15 ko, U20 ni.

No Nairalander fit solve her problem. She already know solution to her own problem. Very simple.. Deliverance!!

When village people don fast forward to see one future that it is bright, na dis kain thing dem dey do.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by IamPlato(m): 3:39pm On Jul 22, 2019
UyaiIncomparabl is This You?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by cococandy(f): 3:40pm On Jul 22, 2019
Gradually decrease your alcohol intake until you finally stop. Never quit cold turkey. You will go into withdrawals and alcohol withdrawals can be lethal.
It’s one of the few addictive substances that can kill you when you try to stop taking it.

Reducing your intake will set of withdrawal symptoms in your body as well but not to the point where you go into delirium tremens. Just try to pull through the moments when you feel the symptoms of decreased intake and then keep decreasing until your brain starts making the normal hormones that alcohol was suppressing. A little at a time. It will take a while but gradual is the best if you are in your home.

If you want to quit suddenly, you have to do it in the hospital where they have Ativan, and cocktail of other medications that will protect your brain while it withdraws from ETOH. Don’t do it at home.
You will either die or end up drinking even more than you were doing before just to get rid of the awful withdrawal symptoms.

Slow is best.
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by joseph1832(m): 3:40pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

are you employed?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Forreellinc: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

I can pray for you in my house, this is my number 08032773199
don't call if you are ugly sha

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by sucessdriven: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Is a long list, process to follow not a mere word.

you can shorten it. but at least say something so people will know you that you know what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Mightyhaiz: 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2019
tofolo:
Good move, you have accepted the fact that you have an issue with alcohol.. have you heard of AA(Alcohol Anonymous)?
Oga,AA no dey nigeria
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by victorazyvictor(m): 3:42pm On Jul 22, 2019
sucessdriven:

you can shorten it. but at least say something so people will know you that you know what you are talking about.

Is a secrete, it doesn't come cheap, easy, or free.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by rapcy(m): 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2019
OP you're a smart girl.

The first step to stopping a habit is by acknowledging that you indulge in such habit, then following a routine to stop it.

Secondly, I'll advice you start gradually, remember when you started, it was a gradual process... Let's assume you take 2 bottles a day, cut it down to 1 bottle or 1 and half, when you've adjusted to that, cut it a bit down again (down to one bottle a day) then you move to drinking 1 day on 1 day off, gradually you move to 2days off 1day on... Gradually you'll stop it totally or bring it under your control. It takes someone with a great self control to just cut it off once.

Try your best to learn something or get a job, if you're busy with work, the urge will reduce drastically, especially those jobs that take your time till evening...

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Donchukz(m): 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2019
Dear friend,I can fill your pains,I can even see it from where I am now,at times,they are habits we always wish we can drop,but no matter how hard we try,we always see our selves going back to what we had sworn never to do again,that's where your weakness lies. But,I want too let u know that habits,be it negative or positive,is something we freely do without thinking of its consequences,the harder we try to stop it;the more we see ourselves indulging in it the more,what you're currently going through now; I can relate to it,it did happened to me when I was in my third years in the university,my involves alcohol,weed,tramadol and anything that will make me forget my pains,I discovered it can only solve my problems momentarily,not until I began to apply the withdrawal methods: Which involves me not taking alcoholic beverages for a day,two,one week,one months and other substances that could high me,the same rules which I applied to my friends,after one month;I noticed a great change in me,in my thoughts,the way I acts,in my confidence,etc. There friend,u can do it,if only you can discipline your self,that's it,at the end,u gonna be a winner.

Any habit you want to develop,starts in a week,and any habit you want to drop,starts in a day,remember,what ever you want to achieve,starts with DISCIPLINE,dear,always be in charge,I luv u
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by sucessdriven: 3:44pm On Jul 22, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Is a secrete, it doesn't come cheap, easy, or free.

continue deceiving yourself
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by bamasite(m): 3:44pm On Jul 22, 2019
Listen to the program Be obsessed or be average by Grant Cardone

The great Grant Cardone you might have heard of today (10X Growth Con), was a huge substance abuser, and he tells his story in that program.
gracegrace668:

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by alizma: 3:44pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

My advise is that you need to meet someone in person to assist you on this. Reason being that, you mentioned that you drink to forget certain troubles and until those troubles are discussed and solution profers, you are likely going to return to drinking anytime the opportunity comes your way. However, i do not expect you to narrate your life story here for public consumption hence i suggest you explain your problem to someone you trust will understand you and be willing to help you. I wish you well

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by bikerboy1(m): 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80521049:

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water,l.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done to stop or cut your drinking habit,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss

This dude and copy and paste

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by tofolo(m): 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
Oga,AA no dey nigeria
bros them dey Kaduna please....they might not be as big as their international body.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by samifet: 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2019
My dear you can't stop automatically because of withdrawal effect, but you can reduce the quantity you normally consume at a sit, Let me share a little experience with you, sometimes ago i used to drink 10 bottle of beer at a go but when I began to realized that i am not doing myself any good i decided to get involve in church activities so much that i was given a position to handle in the church, during our discussion with my fellow members I came to realized that some healthy young men and women have not tested alcohol in their lives so why am i addicted I asked myself are they not humans that can stay without alcohol? If I stop drinking what will happen to me? I picked up courage I spoke to myself no more beer for you, I refused to go out when i'm thirsty till the day my friend invited me I responded to his invitation when he offered some drinks to me, I told him I have stop drinking they laughed to scorn, next time the same thing happened and I used that as another measure to control my decision till they believed that I have stopped drinking and I have never thought of going out to buy for myself that was how I get rid of alcohol by the grace of God I have not drank beer since 2014 till date. Therefore your decision/determination will stop you from drinking no one can do that for you. May God grant you the grace to heed to my simple advice.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Offpoint: 3:48pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80521049:

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water,l.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done to stop or cut your drinking habit,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss
I prefer she remains an alcoholic than eat your dead bodies BBQ
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Macon1212: 3:48pm On Jul 22, 2019
If you can do what l tell you when you see alcoholic drinks it would be like poison and when you smell it, it will smell like poo. Please locate ASAP deeper life Bible Church nearest to you for deliverance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do? / I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Should I Get My Brother's Wife Arrested, After His Demise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.