Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,503 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, I'm An Alcoholic! (31926 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / Her Family Says I Can't Marry Her Because I'm An SSCE Holder / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Haddeyholler(m): 8:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
Good luck Grace.
gracegrace668:
In the past few years, I haven't gone a week without alcohol. I'm glad to know you are conquering the addiction. I believe I can do it too.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by victorazyvictor(m): 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2019
sucessdriven:

continue deceiving yourself

Tnx
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by holuphisayor(m): 8:14pm On Jul 22, 2019
Don't listen to those saying go for prayers. They are hungry lions looking for prey.
I was in similar state. I drink a lot.
For some reasons I won't say more than I've stated here.
If you're worried about things. Get someone you can share them with, don't keep things to yourself.
Many posters here are probably right. Get busy with something you enjoy doing and celebrate your small wins. Days without beer, weeks without beer. And don't be shy to reject advances from people willing to bottle you.
When you have an urge to drink, just take water(buy bottle water and drink)
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by JastSiryin(m): 8:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Devgod:
Depression. I would have ended up like you though.
Mine is as a result of Failure in life. Like I guide people to a treasure I can't possess. All my friends are balling hard. 90% of them got help from me, in other to attain such. But I can't just help myself. No matter how I try I just can't make it to the top. I start wondering Wether some people are destined to fail!.

But in all these fustrations and depression. I never smoked or drink to get high or forget my sorrows. One thing about me us that I hate anything takes control over my conciousness. I like been in control of the way I act, think and reason. So getting high is a no no for me. Because it distorts my conciousness.
Whatever is pushing you to get drunk. Drinking would never take it away from you. Embrace it! And try to rise above it!.
My God! it's like I would've typed the same thing. I could see us getting along I swear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2019
somehow:
Like a compass that never goes to its destination. Like an atlas to point people to their directions without leaving its spot.

So how have you been coping? I surely know it hasn't been easy.

I swear you understand. It's not easy for me.. everyone knows what I'm capable of. Family, siblings all looking up and waiting for me to become what I've made other become. but it ain't coming. I have become so introverted. I just try my best, and leave the rest to fate.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 22, 2019
JastSiryin:
My God! it's like I would've typed the same thing. I could see us getting along I swear
How are you coping man?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by somehow: 8:49pm On Jul 22, 2019
Change location. it works wonder!
Devgod:
I swear you understand. It's not easy for me.. everyone knows what I'm capable of. Family, siblings all looking up and waiting for me to become what I've made other become. but it ain't coming. I have become so introverted. I just try my best, and leave the rest to fate.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Neddyogu(m): 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2019
Replace ur addiction with a hobby. U can take up horseback riding, table tennis, photography or chess. Enjoy the outdoors, take a vacation, and make sure to form healthy platonic relationships with people. Release your creative powers. Get a copy of Rhonda Byrne's book "The secret-the power". God bless
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by mechanics(m): 9:05pm On Jul 22, 2019
Visit any Bible believing church for prayers, that addiction is not ordinary.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by JastSiryin(m): 9:08pm On Jul 22, 2019
Devgod:
How are you coping man?
Music helps alot... And I just began practicing meditation again, it really helped me then

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Kenneth10110(m): 10:27pm On Jul 22, 2019
My best advise to you forget all these stay away the first step
1. Prayer

2.Reduce your intake of alcohol. If you take 10 before reduce it to just 1 or 2

3. Think and test yourself ones in a while if you don't take it a whole day what will happen to you. By that your trying to be back to normal

4. Avoid friends who drink

5. Try to listen to songs to while away time you should be drinking.

6. Avoid gist about drinks they'll only push you back

7. Try something else to replace the taste maybe coca cola or pepsi

8. Try to save more

9. Seek more advice

10. Don't always be alone all the time
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nettoyage(m): 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2019
For a more practicable process to deal with your addiction.. You can send a mail to rolandx_2000@yahoo.com.
We will offer you a free service.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

Nothing wrong with you o jare. Drinking is a hobby. I drink too. But it's being channeled. And when you redirect it you find yourself going days without it. If you identify it as a problem it becomes a problem. Need I say more?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by kiddkash(m): 10:41pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

alcoholism is not a disease to cure, its a symptom for you to manage. all you is will power. reduce the amount of intake by 50%, then 30% then 10%.people always drink alcohol throughput their lifetime and they live long lives
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Mrjo(m): 10:55pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80521049:

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted/intoxicated the more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss

So good to read this from you.
YES, we believe you can do this.
All the very best dearie.
wahoo'so you can do betterment like this? I'm impressed, is like somebody took over your handle today
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Mosco100(m): 11:01pm On Jul 22, 2019
Ephesians 5 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by RitzyNd(f): 11:11pm On Jul 22, 2019
Don't stop o u need am
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
If I can stop bet9ja addiction girl you can stop it is not that hard
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by OiOi: 11:30pm On Jul 22, 2019
kekakuz:
there is nothing wrong with you, you are just jobless
get busy
addiction doesn't really work that way. What happens when after work she is no longer busy?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by ladyju(f): 11:38pm On Jul 22, 2019
Talk to a psychologist. Or go to any rehabilitation centre. There s one in Jos, I don't know where u stay
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Csonice1: 11:51pm On Jul 22, 2019
this may seem impossible but with God, all things are possible.
abstain from alcohol....
� replace it with another pleasurable thing like eating (some people use potato chips, chocolate � , chicken � or any other thing. at least you could have spent money on alcohol... use that money to nourish your body!)
you can buy trending films and watch.
� you can replace it with latest songs (I recommend religious songs)
� beware � of "let me take it one last time " run and never look back!
(have this mindset that it is the cause of every bad thing that has ever happened to you ; which may still be true if you really look into it)
I don't want to sound like a holier than thou, but do you really believe in the power of God? if not, why ? He is able tobreak every one from addictions. ... believe in Him and his son Jesus Christ and it will go away..
you may want to do it gradually...
you know about fasting? use it as your fast or even try a dry fast then pray about it. ..
any day you fall back to it, start your fast afresh from day one.
for example you want to do it for one week, then on the third day you relapsed, start the fast Over again ,...
May the Lord help you through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 23, 2019
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement, prayers and advise. Your support means a lot to me, as there is no one I can personally confide in at this point.

I intend to take things easy as majority of you have suggested: creating small goals and putting effort into achieving them. I could monitor intake for this week for example and see how things go from there.

Sincerely, I want to better myself in all areas of my life. I have lost a lot and taken stupid risks all for this. Please keep me in your thoughts.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by leonard509(m): 1:31am On Jul 23, 2019
gracegrace668:

Answer these questions dear one...

Do you want to die of liver failure sometime in the future?

You love alcohol, to what end is this love of yours??

If you loved to do something else like work, you could be addicted to it and it will make you a billionaire. But this love for alcohol, what will it eventually make you??

I can guess dear one, it will make you miserable....

I'm a mind model, I could help you out by remodeling your mind..chat me up if you want . 08092651191.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by wowcatty: 4:15am On Jul 23, 2019
You didn't say if it's only on weekends like most people do and how much you actually drink, if you have worked hard all week, it's ok to reward yourself, just don't over do it. An 8oz glass of wine is a drink, and with 2 glasses most girls can still hold down a conversation and even drive home, at least I do. I popped a rose on Friday night and by Sunday afternoon it was gone
gracegrace668:

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by babeosisi: 4:58am On Jul 23, 2019
gracegrace668:

See the highlighted
There in lies the main issue
You have to deal with that emotional trauma first and heal from it so you don't need to medicate with alcohol anymore.What is it?
Where you raped or abused?
You may need to confront that or whatever it maybe headlong .
Did you witness violence .Was it an abortion that you can't get over?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Unconquerable: 5:22am On Jul 23, 2019
gracegrace668:

The greatest physician and rehabilitator, Jesus the Son of God has the power to free you. He says, Come to me all you that are heavy laden and I will give you rest. His medication is free: the only price is a broken spirit and hunger to be set free, which you seem to possess. Don't go to any preacher: call on Him yourself and you will see what will happen. It is well with you and this bondage shall come to pass.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by SHOCK7(m): 5:50am On Jul 23, 2019
tofolo:
Good move, you have accepted the fact that you have an issue with alcohol.. have you heard of AA(Alcohol Anonymous)?
U don't have groups like that in naija!!
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by tofolo(m): 6:17am On Jul 23, 2019
SHOCK7:

U don't have groups like that in naija!!
we have rehabs in Nigeria. Just google plus.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by kekakuz(m): 6:28am On Jul 23, 2019
OiOi:
addiction doesn't really work that way. What happens when after work she is no longer busy?
well atleast that is a good place to start
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by divyadp: 7:31am On Jul 23, 2019
The Finer Options With the Weed Purchase: What Your Options Go To
https://marijuanaspot420.com/products/buy-weed-in-europe/
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 23, 2019
[b][/b] It takes a lot of discipline to stop or limit alcohol intake, try to avoid going to places where you will be tempted to drink, try keeping distance with people who triggers the urge to take alcohol in you. try hanging out more often with people who will bring the best out in you

gracegrace668:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Girl In Abuja Cannot Locate Her Home & Parents(Pics) / Should I Get My Brother's Wife Arrested, After His Demise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.