Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,371 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, I'm An Alcoholic! (31925 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / Her Family Says I Can't Marry Her Because I'm An SSCE Holder / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by stankezzy: 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2019
Bustincole:
Go to Redeem camp for deliverance

Oh Lord pls deliver from dis
this is d only meaningful post I have seen here , forget about all these rehab nonsense , alcoholism is caused by a spirit called baccus , once it is casted out u are free , u don't need to go rehab wasting 6 months

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

Yeah you should reduce, other proper people will advice you better, I would have said switch to weed but that doesn't help all the best. We all drink too , just curb your excesses.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by joeferrari(m): 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
So sad to hear about your story and it's a good thing that you are coming out to say this, I applaud your courage for that. The first step to be clean from alcoholism is admittance, the second step is self control and restraint, the third step is separation from your circle of friends who indulge in it.
Have been down that road and have helped people who are in the same situation get out of it. If you need further help let me know.
God will strengthen you

gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by openmine(m): 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80522743:

We Respect your political affiliation and views,
kindly respect ours also, we beg of you.
All of us cannot be aligned politically pls.
Nowhere in the world is that done!

Do have a great week ahead!
Adios!!
Try next time to peruse submissions before reacting frantically!
I see no basis for this superfluous reply!
I have already 'acknowledged' your political inclination which is completely needless based on the topic of discus!

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by deltateam: 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
Op its very simple

Watch this video and you will stop it immediately
It works wonders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLISoM7PwKw
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 22, 2019
Can’t believe that someone is advising her to start taking weed, seriously ? Weed is not addictive Don’t use weed, don’t be deceived.
Try to cut down your alcohol intake, don’t use weed, don’t use anything that will make you high to cure highness. Fuçking bollocks

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Evidenx(m): 4:47pm On Jul 22, 2019
When you start at first, it's just a simple alcohol, when you do it again and again and again, you begin to attract the spirit dimension of alcohol and before you know it, you can't stop because the demon of alcoholism have entered and partnered with you.
You can't stop or discipline a demon, it needs to be casted out.
you need a genuine man of God to lay hands on you and cast it out. and finally repent and live a holy and righteous life.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by jullary(m): 4:51pm On Jul 22, 2019
for me I will say it's about your mind, I was a drunkard for good 10years I don't take beer only gin and schnapps to make matter worst I am the store manager and thats what we produce! so I open it anytime and nobody can question me cos am the boss, I can't do 10 minutes without taking schnapp my staffs call me baba schnapp,but one day February 1st precisely.i promise not to take it again the thing affect me but I stand, for that day my hands was shaking as if I will die but I say NO.i was affected seriously but I didn't take it my boss is still surprise. my sister have a strong mind it's possible you can control your emotion u are human being, and pray over it. pls do this. Jesus loves u

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Goahead(m): 5:00pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Please, change your city, move out to another city immediately and make new friends. You are never gonna be sober with your junkie friends around you. They will keep baiting and trapping you! I was just like you when I was living with my uncle in Plateau state, he sells all types of drinks, both alcohol and none alcohol. I was a little mess back then. I got so addicted to Maltina to the extend my urine was always yellow then! I moved to Lagos and got busier, and got no time to think of my favorite killer. I only take it now when am walking around under the sun.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Sammycee: 5:01pm On Jul 22, 2019
Accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour is all you need now- Matthew 11:28-30. My sister, the moment you accept Christ and steak to the word of God, you will definitely experience a dramatic change of story. Look for a Bible believing Church and start worship there. Remember, with GOD all things are POSSIBLE- Matthew 19:26 Jesus love you
gracegrace668:

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Enemyofpeace: 5:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
I like babes that are alcoholic, they are like beasts in bed. If you know you know.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by sisisioge: 5:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
buiquiey:

Can I chat with you in private? Just to give you a nugget on what to do. I have already sent you a request. Cheers.

You quoted the wrong person sir.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Maestroedem001: 5:06pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

sorry dear,u need positive influencers in ur life,also a job that takes lots of ur time is needed so u can abstain a little longer during the day,I feel for u,whatsoever that was the ish that made u indulge is not stronger than ur will to move on,I drink alot but with moderation,Las las try getting to know me u will be ok
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Ezonman(m): 5:07pm On Jul 22, 2019
Please if you like take it, if you don't like leave it, the truth is that you need deliverance, you can't help your self. Visit Christ Mercyland deliverance ministry in warri Delta State. For more info:08153207303
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by sisisioge: 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2019
Macky2:

You need a very tasking job to take more of your time.

grin grin grin grin grin

I'm not the OP.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Segeshow: 5:11pm On Jul 22, 2019
Addiction is a mental disease. You are sick. If you're feeling sick with physical illness,where do you go? Go to Yaba psychiatric Hospital or LUTH. You need psychotherapy and maybe some medication like disulfiram that is administered to alcoholics to deter further use. Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by godofuck231: 5:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

send me a direct message , it's not new for person's either high IQs to be easily addicted to substances including alcohol, you need guidance trough rehabilitation

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Avast(m): 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Move with someone that doesn't drink and let him/her be aware that you want to stop drinking.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Sonofthunder9(m): 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2019
Where can we see to do a drinking competition
I been dey find u
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2019
tofolo:
Good move, you have accepted the fact that you have an issue with alcohol.. have you heard of AA(Alcohol Anonymous)?
we dont have such in nigeria.best bet is for op to go to her pastor for help
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by missimelda01(f): 5:26pm On Jul 22, 2019
She came here to seek help cos she knows the danger of being an alcoholic, are you providing a solution? Or what do I call this one
labusinessguide:
My thoughts

Drinking is not a problem

Abusing it is a problem that will affect your health most importantly.

As you may have noticed, alcohol have a negative impact on the body.

Now, here are some quick facts

Alcohol is fermented sugar

Much intake of alcohol will definitely make your insulin work double as hard to remain in check

Alcohol affects kidney and liver

Anything taken in excess will always have a negative impact on the kidney and liver.

This is exactly why drunkards speak in tongues until the system excretes the alcohol.

So even if you don't want to quit alcoholic beverages, reconsider for the sake of your health and wellness.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

How much alcohol do you consume in a day?

In any case, I would think twice before contacting any of these fōōls hurriedly dropping their numbers for you to call them, if I were you.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by favour32(m): 5:26pm On Jul 22, 2019
Go manage everything about stress.
Stress is unavoidable but can be controlled to a minimum state.
Alcohol is one of the stressors.
Tips to help you out:
*Avoid alcohol-based social gathering.
*Be with friends that are not toxic and do not like alcohol.
*Make yourself happy in other ways and be positively inclined.
*Get yourself bitter-cola/ground nut and chew anytime you feel like to drink any alcoholic drink.
*Develop your mind/subconscious to control your physical activity.

God help you finally.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Topmaike007(m): 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2019
post=80521049:

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss
even me self dey drink,I hope I will follow her and come to BBG to come have some plates of chicken smiley
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by omobaba1759: 5:39pm On Jul 22, 2019
Change your circle and make channel your energy into something new. Nobody is gonna parent you on here
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by oglalasioux(m): 5:40pm On Jul 22, 2019
These may help.

1. Turn to yourself and point out the physical disadvantages of alcohol.

2. They may include vomiting, headache and stomach ache and the general symptoms of hangover including your sleep pattern.

3. Begin to programme your mind to see these problems as allergies.

4. Compare yourself when sober and imagine having the above allergies.

5. Your mind will choose not to have those allergies and therefore not drink alcohol so you don't have them.

If you look at the moral side of alcohol you'll never leave it. Look at the physical disadvantages to your body and it will help you stop.

Colin Wilson, a clinical psychologist helping alcoholics and sexual perverts said, " feigning allergies help more in discarding a habit than trying abstinence."

Stay cool. You'll be fine.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Lemmyo: 5:43pm On Jul 22, 2019
No habit cannot be stop, it doesn't matter how bad it is.First is to make up ur mind to really want to stop it.Stay away from things that easily influence u to drink. If u are a Christian believe the word of God which says who so ever d Son of God shall set free is free indeed

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by DissTroy(m): 5:44pm On Jul 22, 2019
MyGeneration:
you are lucky its just alcoholism. i was once addicted to alcohol, weed and sex.

if u really want to stop it u have to avoid situations that make u have access to it.

example dont walk around with your atm. if u know that once u get home the money in your house is enough to buy the next shot, since the urge hasnt come take that money to pos people and deposit it there. make up ur mind that u will only drink in occasions and not regularly.

apart from that keep ur mind orself busy after i discovered say no to cultisms thread on cultism, full 66 pages i devoted myself to reading it. My mind was occupied for a few days

Sex 'addition' is not bad if you aren't having indiscriminate or casual sex. If you meet a woman who's just as enthusiastic about sex like you are/were, why not? No problem there. If you are guys are also compatible on other fronts, propose to her right away.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Cut ties with alcoholics and try as much as possible not to be alone by occupying yourself with one or two activities- I suggest you get a hobby or choose to be church worker if you are a student. If you are through with school get something doing.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thanks a lot. I'm just learning theres a group for alcoholics, sounds good. Is there one in Nigeria? Hoe secure it it?

sisisioge:
Chai! This is hard o...I don't think we have AA groups or assessable rehabs here. Your best bet is to go home, tell your parents what's happening, let them lock you indoor for 4 weeks without any exposure. You would go through a lot before becoming sober. Afterwards, you've got to make conscious efforts to stop!

Your liver,kidney and general wellbeing is on the line right now maami. Good luck.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thanks a lot. I'm just learning theres a group for alcoholics, sounds good. Is there one in Nigeria? How secure it it?

sisisioge:
Chai! This is hard o...I don't think we have AA groups or assessable rehabs here. Your best bet is to go home, tell your parents what's happening, let them lock you indoor for 4 weeks without any exposure. You would go through a lot before becoming sober. Afterwards, you've got to make conscious efforts to stop!

Your liver,kidney and general wellbeing is on the line right now maami. Good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do? / I'm A Mother Of 2 Boys, And I Can't (and Won't) Support Feminism / Should I Get My Brother's Wife Arrested, After His Demise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.