Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, I'm An Alcoholic! (31919 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / Her Family Says I Can't Marry Her Because I'm An SSCE Holder / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by jimotochukwuobi(m): 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2019
Hi Grace

Say me hi on Whatsapp with 08035079569.
I will like to discuss with you privately.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thank you so much. I appreciate. I'm definitely taking the outlined steps into action.

post=80521049:

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Lighthammer(m): 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2019
It possible to stop but very difficult....
av been there too
my own was very worse than yours
was a chronic masturbator,alcohol addict and i can smoke anything,used tobacco and sorts......

but gradually i was able to wean myself off it..
i lost many things cos of it...scholarships,chance to travel out and many other things

i had a change of environment,and moved to my grandparent's village where the people living there are serious farmers,i threw myself into farm work totally...

there was a time my grand pa had to lock me inside a room for almost a month
anytime am nt working at the farm,na jogging things,or fishing...

it was nt easy tho...

the withdrawal symptoms nearly kill me....

and gradually i conquered...

you cn do it

change ur environment if u think u cn to where it will be difficult for you to get alcohol

get urself involved in any outdoor sport activities

then have the determination to quit...

dnt go near anyplace they are selling alcohol

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2019
You dont believe I will stop the addiction, yet you went ahead to give me tips. I just don't understand. All I'm doing is seeking help.

meobizy:
OP is in luck: I’m also a newbie here who opened this account to respond.

There is no amount of advice I can give which will make her stop.
It is a habit she built from time and will take maybe more to break.
As opposed to drinking to forget sorrows I will recommend weed instead, the herb cured an episode I had with depression.
The herb is also non-addictive so she can quit at any time.

Let me drop the same advice I will to any close friend even though I know it will fall on deaf ears:
1. Start running daily or at least buy a jump rope.
2. Drink only water, plenty of it.
3. Avoid your drinking buddies.
Coming across them will only make you crave drinks or put you in a vulnerable position.
4. Look for a sport and focus your mind to learning it.
The time you spend learning the skill will kill any thoughts of an alcoholic nature.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by odinga1of: 5:57pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

connect me on jokeharry3@gmail.com so I can advice you and make friend with you.

I have a friend who is in your shoes
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2019
Zimmermann:
Think of nutritious meals you could've bought yourself with that money u spend on alcohol, n buy them instead :* it works cool. When u see urself eating well n staying healthy, u'll ditch too much alcohol

It's so bad that even when I'm hungry, if given the option to choose between eating and drinking, I'll go for the bottle. I'm very ashamed of this. It's eating me up.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Haddeyholler(m): 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
Just apply self discipline. Am also an alcohol addict before, I just talked to myself. Though it might seems painful, but I promised myself never to drink again. And I thank God, since over 2 months now, I've never drink and I'll never do again.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Justtoreplygrac: 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2019
Good evening gracegrace I had to join Nairaland when I read your post , I always read everything on Nairaland I decided to join after I read your post cause I have a similar problem as you , and have been trying to be get sober not that I can’t but the steps are way much . Text me your number on my email willisonlchris@gmail.com . . There’s a chance to dump your hang ups before you dump them on someone else . Don’t regret ever speaking out no matter the harsh reply you will get from this forum but this step you took is a bold one which shows you truly admit you have a problem and you could bring yourself and become a happy person . I really mean to help , thanks I hope you read this.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Tonnierichy(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

You need prayers. If you agree, say yes and I'll mail you someone's number
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Malawian(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Alcohol can make you barren. Flee!!!
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Lighthammer(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2019
Op you Can break the habit,it wil take time tho

u will relapse several time bt at the end,u wil overcome
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Tonnierichy(m): 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2019
pickatyou:
We all are.

Try your best to avoid bars for the main time, if it could help.
Speak for yourself
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by famzynet: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2019
Hello . The good thing is that you have insight that there is a problem. Many of us have been there and we manage to cut down to alcoholic levels not injurious to body. Some are still struggling to stop. Take it from me,forget all those people telling you to pray and it will just stop. Prayer will help,but you need effort from your side. Alcoholism develops over a period. You can't just stop. You cut down gradually over time.
You need to get occupied with something to take your mind of alcohol. Get a job,enrol in school or program. Just anything to take off your mind.
Make a target of cutting down. If you used to drink 4 bottles per day ,reduce to 2 per day and later two every two day. Have alcohol free day. Force yourself not to drink some days of a week. Make a target of reducing to 4 bottle of beer(Life) per week then from there you can reduce to occasional drinking. 4 bottles of Life beer per week is safe for health.
Get a friend or boyfriend who is not addicted to drinking. He can help you cut down.
If you were currently in the northern part of Nigeria,I would have shown you cases that would make you cut down because I am briefly in Northern Nigeria doing a research on alcoholic liver disease in Northern Nigeria.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thank you so much. I like this calendar approach. Going for 3 days without alcohol intake will be such a huge deal to me.
seuncyrus:

The first step to any kind of recovery is to admit that you have a problem (which you've done). I have to really commend you because you're being honest with yourself.
I'm going to give you practical approach to stop this. Firstly, you have to understand that you can't just quit this in a day because you didn't cultivate this habit in a day, it took repeated actions before it became an habit. Secondly, baby steps.
Thirdly, identify your trigger(s). like most addicts, there's always a trigger. It could be your fellow alcoholic friends, boredom or any other thing. Once there's a trigger find something else to do , maybe visit nairaland , Quora or twitter and while away time till you're no longer thinking about alcohol.
Lastly, for any day you didn't drink alcohol circle your calendar. Try to aim for atleast 3 days straight without taking alcohol, on the third day cross those three days (call it a medal ). Now try to aim for at least one medal in the first week and second week (it's going to be hard , so don't try to set unrealistic goals so you don't disappoint yourself, a medal in the first two weeks is okay). You can then aim for two in an week and so on

Also, get closer to God and recite Phil 4:19 everyday when you have a trigger.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jul 22, 2019
The underline problem might be anxiety. Check ur self and be determine to want quit.

You can stop if u really want to
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nche95(m): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2019
all you need is a very big dick to fvck the shiit of out of your vagina
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
In the past few years, I haven't gone a week without alcohol. I'm glad to know you are conquering the addiction. I believe I can do it too.
Haddeyholler:
Just apply self discipline. Am also an alcohol addict before, I just talked to myself. Though it might seems painful, but I promised myself never to drink again. And I thank God, since over 2 months now, I've never drink and I'll never do again.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by stuff46(m): 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

1) The first point to everything actually is to accept the fact that you have got a problem and I believe as you have done that, you should not worry about getting over it because it will be a thing of the past within a few month. I really appreciate the fact that you just accepted the problem, you will overcome this aspect of your life that you are not proud of.

2) The point here is that you found your PEACE in drinking which is not encouraged. Morality has made it be that a female should not be this when so I believe there are other things that can serve as your peace not exactly drinking. More productive time should be channelled to it. As part of it, I believe some other part of your life will be suffering since the drinking is excessive so I'll advice you improve your timing to accommodate more of the suffering part and decrease the times you use for drinking.

3) As a fact, decrease the chances of being with the friends that make you drink. Less of them will help you.

4) Avoiding having excess cash you don't have need for as it is a great factor that makes you buy them yourself.

5) Discipline yourself to moderately or completely stop drinking. It might take time but you can go on a downward spine of what you drink as the days go by, say from 12 bottles to 3 then you go down to 1 and then you can completely stop. On the flip side, don't just say you are stopping today, you might not be able to handle it except on a strong determined will and Grace.

6) STOP BUYING DRINKS TO YOUR HOUSE

I believe with Gods assistance and your input, you will be able to accomplish your desires.
Thank you.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by RUDEBOYY(m): 6:25pm On Jul 22, 2019
my dear I have to be frank with you... the only way to stop is to "stop".
it's just that simple I have been there and by gods grace I'm now a conqueror.... I don't drink anything alcohol and I don't smoke no more.
please try to be honest with yourself and love yourself more.

#saynotoalcoholism.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Joystark(f): 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2019
Dang!

It's rare to find young women who are alcoholics.

There are lots who drink once in a while, but addicts are very rare.

Discover why you started drinking in the first place and work on that.
Make your own beverages at home, zobo, smoothies, anything... When you are tempted to drink, take them in, they are liquid still. You can even take it a step further and refill all your liquor bottles with these drinks. cool

Avoid being alone, find something to always keep you buy and Pray.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Tufunky: 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Sorry. Presently going through the same thing.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Zimmermann(m): 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

It's so bad that even when I'm hungry, if given the option to choose between eating and drinking, I'll go for the bottle. I'm very ashamed of this. It's eating me up.
hmm...think of what such habit does to your health then. Do u want to age gracefully, strong and healthy or weak, sickness-ridden and a burden onto your loved ones THINK DEEPLY ABOUT THAT & CHOOSE. angry
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by CAPSLOCKED: 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

gracegrace668:
I am an alcoholic. I am an alcohol addict.

A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink.

LOVE OF MY LIFE!
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by meobizy(f): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
You dont believe I will stop the addiction, yet you went ahead to give me tips. I just don't understand. All I'm doing is seeking help.

Of course.
If it doesn’t help you it will help someone else.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thanks a lot. You've given me a great idea, to refill the bottles with fresh juice. Perhaps, I'll get the mental satisfaction.
Joystark:
Dang!

It's rare to find young women who are alcoholics.

There are lots who drink once in a while, but addicts are very rare.

Discover why you started drinking in the first place and work on that.
Make your own beverages at home, zobo, smoothies, anything... When you are tempted to drink, take them in, they are liquid still. You can even take it a step further and refill all your liquor bottles with these drinks. cool

Avoid being alone, find something to always keep you buy and Pray.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 22, 2019
I don't understand this.
CAPSLOCKED:

LOVE OF MY LIFE!
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by tiredoflife(m): 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2019
To stop a bad habit
U have to replace it with another habit
Anytime u feel like drinking
Do something else to replace it
As u do this
Ur brain will begin to see a replacement
It my be doing something nobel
Like giving the money u want to use to drink to someone who needs it
Find ur humanity
And give that money to it

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by IzzyyUnique: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2019
people drink to forget about things that hurt. They drink, more and more till they high and think they forget that someone.

In the real sense, nothing bad with alcohol. I hope there ain't gonna be people here who's gonna OP alcohol style is spiritual. .

@OP! You are safe! am a full time alcohol consumer as well
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by MrFly(m): 7:54pm On Jul 22, 2019
from ur write-up i know u and u know me, ur not i. ur 20's but 30's..... i warned u but u woudnt listen, just pray
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by tofolo(m): 7:59pm On Jul 22, 2019
lefulefu:
we dont have such in nigeria.best bet is for op to go to her pastor for help
brother, we have some rehabilitation centres in Nigeria, that can help.
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 22, 2019
lagosinnovator:
Abi make u go start ogogoro joint since this is looking like your calling... seriously, how did you started drinking? who introduced you to drinking? How did you find your way here
That got me rotfl
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2019
I Think I Can Help U Out, Though a potential counselor. just add me up on whatsapp 07064916479 and remind me!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reasons Why Bride Is Happier Than Groom During Wedding Ceremony / Army Colonel And Wife Welcome Twins After 12 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.