Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? (16497 Views)

Boko Haram Wants To Kill Me For Converting To Christianity”–Islamic Cleric’s Son / Why Do God Have To Create People GAY? Why? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Sweetnecta: 2:22am On Oct 28, 2010
@Gameaddict: « #79 on: Yesterday at 08:15:00 PM »
[Quote]@ OP : God had to kill his son because it was the only way.

If you are a christian or muslim: I believe you have read not just the bible, qur'an but other books and testimonies about the miracles of God, his anger, his deeds and through that, not only learned about God's nature but being able to tell yourself that some of what people suggest or think might be wrong and have come up with your own views while accepting that of others.

Reading our qur'an and bibles, books which we have turned into idols rather than a way to learn about God, learning about the world and taking this journey called life, understanding that God's nature is different from that of man, is it not clear that your ideas of other means based on our perception of his power and his ways are definitely not the solution.

He is indeed an all powerful God. A God who has felt so much pain because He is not just some being who does this and that. He is a God who does things because it is the best way. In humans, God has become a concept and going from that, we have built certain beliefs and expectations on what a being who should be God can do and how he can do it. but truth will always be truth and it will always be a shock to man.

God feels anger, why? Because that is part of his nature. His anger is not like that of man or that of kings amongst men. It is not something that comes and goes like ours. His anger is great and with far reaching consequences. He is a God who feels regret. In fact, all our emotions can be said to be derived from him and perhaps, this is where we begin to falter in our perception of him.

Don't let your perception of God lead you to think you know how things should be done or how things are. We will never know God's nature and the world around him, it's workings and complexities, at least, not now when we are yet humans,

If you are an atheist/disbelieving scientist/put some other new fad here: Before I attempt to convince you about things which I'll admit are beyond my knowledge, tell me how the big bang came to be, the chicken or the egg, which came first, explain all the missing links and unproved theories bordering quantum physics and the beginning of the universe.

Even you will admit that we do not know all the answers and since we were not there, some of it is beyond us. Our theories are disproved over and over, fossils and the hypothetical family tree of man are cut down and rearranged with every few discovery, some of our theories are so ridiculous that the chances of it occurring are thought to be impossible on probability scales. Doesn't it even surprise you how the order of the universe came to be? Like the Jehovah witnesses put it, The world is so complex and beautiful, It's impossible to think there's not a designer behind all this, And He is watching, taking account of everything[/Quote]Its the ONLY way?
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by roymary: 2:35am On Oct 28, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

And I understand you but your angry replies and name calling won't help your case nor will it convince ANYONE of God's existence. It's the lack of patience and anger that caused the huge gap and confusion between beleivers and antheists to begin with. If I didn't know any better I too would not be a believer when I see "God's people" making hideous remarks and using offensive language "in his name".

Ma'm i dunno why you wasting all these energy on me, I'm not the one saying crap about God, I can't be you--You might have patience. I jst can't stand people saying annoying things about my mother, not to talk of God! Don't be mad Okay. I'm not trying to impress God, you nor anyone else.I just know God is real and should be respected, there is no excuse!. A blockhead will remain a blockhead and has no other name than a blockhead.

I was done with this thread until you started focusing on me.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by gameaddict(m): 7:50am On Oct 28, 2010
@ sweetnecta: Our perception of any being called God may push us to believe different things.

To the OP, God is just a being with power who can just do anything and this shows in his/her suggestion that the solution was a simple 'I forgive you'. I don't know if that was possibly the answer. I'm far too foolish to discern God. I'll just say to me, the way I perceive things, the concepts of sin, souls, forgiveness and retribution are complex things that has to do with the supernatural and therefore only understood that way.

We look at God like someone who just gives laws, sits in heaven, does his wishes etc. Many think we can be God if not for mortal states.

The question is this, is it that simple? Could the concept of sin be more complicated than what we imagine? Could the sacrifice have freed us from not just God's anger but something far worse? We think like humans and expect it to be as simple as we want.

If it were that simple, How come a God who is love would not love satan and forgive him or her? Is sin a mere offense against God or something that corrupts and destroys our very essence?

We are only flesh and we think like flesh. I don't know the answers. I say and believe it is the only way because taking the situation to human context. A solution so drastic would only be taken if there was no other way. Why would he allow humans continue to die? Why does he not interfere so often? God and the supernatural, I think, is beyond our logic. We may never know.

I think our perception of God and supernatural things are not complete and can be flawed. It is what we have to fix. It is humans who need analyzing, not God. When the time comes to know the answers, we shall all know.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by CorkyJoe: 8:06am On Oct 28, 2010
is he die? undecided
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by gameaddict(m): 9:13am On Oct 28, 2010
^^^^ exactly: If you are so sensible as to argue about him dieing then you have to consider the resurrection part of the story. Everything is for a purpose
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by ManofGod3(m): 9:24am On Oct 28, 2010
D poster should be careful in some statements. Anyone who says GOD KILLED HIS SON is an Antichrist. D Holy Bible didn't say so.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 28, 2010
Dauchman said:

@OP i pose this question, of all other planets in our solar system, how many have we found to have life, yeah i know the answer is zero.

Secondly take a good look around you and tell me you think everything around you was an accident, a Big bang like our scientists say.

Was there really a man called Jesus who died 2000years ago and claimed to be God, yes there was and further research has been done by lots of atheists to disprove this but they come up with the same answer, Jesus existed 2000 years ago, was crucified, rose from the dead, and the good news was spread by 12 men called the apostles.

I just wonder how 12 people were able to tell a lie that got so big and is heard all over the world today without flinching or saying something different. I am sure you have heard of the water gate scandal they couldn't even keep there lie together for a year.

Get this: There is NO evidence for the existence of a ''Jesus Christ'' if we mean a man who was born by a virgin, and was the son of God who performed miracles etc. There is ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD of this person in ANY independent document contemporary to the alleged time of his existence. If you have any, I challenge you here and now to provide it. In addition, none of the ''gospels'' were written earlier than 60 years AFTER the alleged ascension of ''Jesus'' into ''heaven''.

By the way, if you look at the ascension story, it really is the height of tomfoolery isn't it? We are supposed to accept that a flesh and blood person rose up before onlookers and ascended up into heaven. Where is heaven? Is it up in the sky? Is it a physical location? Some sort of planet Has the Vatican commisioned NASA to try and locate this place? My understanding of heaven, and the understanding of African and other pre-christian religions is that it is a spiritual  environment and not a physical location, so one would have to shed their physical body first, or ''die'', in order to enter ''heaven''. The christ ascension story makes a complete mockery of the concept of human/soul transcendence.

Elebiju said:

ROSSIKE i remember you vividly you are the 161st evil spirit sent by lucifer to manipulate the world but hear this you doomed creature your father lucifer has failed again go tell him that and as for you are damned you will never find the knowledge you seek

Wow, thanks. Do let us know when you finally develop a brain.

everlasthn said:
I don't know why many people are being immature and insulting the poster. What the poster needs is schooling not insult or condemnation,

NB: Am a Christian by the way

Such delusions of grandeur. I happen to think it is you, and people who think like you, who need some heavy ''schooling'' in basic common sense.

krazinaija said:

Mehn this poster they go hell for sure 

You dey try understand religious things!, You think say na science abi theory of evolution create you? oga bone dat side?, Shey d planet just form out of nowhere come knack dust plus water to form fish? make i comot here sef before i vex! Anuofia!

If you weren't an obvious retard, I would have spent a lot more time on you, but that's a waste of resources.

Bloejoey said:
Only a fool says in his heart there is no God!

And only a bigger fool accepts just any old Jewish tribal deity as his ''God'' without investigation.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by gameaddict(m): 10:22am On Oct 28, 2010
@ ROSSIKE an everyone: Instead of abusing each other, can't we just accept that we don't know the answers instead of pretending as if we have all the wisdom in the world. Similar thing killed socrates. People before us and after us have and will contemplate over issues like this and to me, as with all things supernatural, these things will likely remain mysteries.

To those who do not believe in the supernatural: Is it not surprising how every civilization, at least all those I know of have concepts of God, spirits etc. Surely, all this could not have been some old wives tale. The coincidences involved are just too alarming.

Final words: Believe what you will and stop trying to mock or impose yourself on others. If you believe Jesus died for your sin, good for you. If you believe he was just a prophet good for you. if you belief in sango, hinduism etc good for you, If you believe in the evolutionary theories, good for you.

If only we would respect ourselves and stop trying to disprove and mock other people's beliefs for our ego's sake, half the world's problem would be non-existent. Now, can we all move to some better topics?
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by thiscounts(m): 11:53am On Oct 28, 2010
I KNOW OF ONE GOD WHO NEEDS NOT TO KILL OR SACRIFICE HIS OR SOMEONE ELSE SON TO CLEASEN THE SIN OF THE WORLD.

THE GOD OF ISRAEL BEFORE THE JEW WENT ASTRAY!

THE GOD OF CHRISTIANS BEFORE JESUS WAS SAID TO BE CRUXIFIED.

NOT THE GOD PAUL,MATHEW,JOHN ETC TELL IN THEIR BIBLICAL ACCOUNT OF LIFE OF JESUS

BUT THE GOD AS PREACHED BY JESUS

THE SAME GOD AS PREACHED BY MUHAMMAD

AND OTHER PROPHETS BEFORE JESUS AND MUHAMMAD

THE SAME GOD OUR FORE FATHERS SEEK THROUGH THEIR DEITES

THE SAME GOD YOU KNOW IS SUPERIOR TO ALL THAT ARE ASSOSCIATED WITH HIM

HE LIVES AND EXISTS
I FIND HIS DESCRIPTION IN HOLY QURAN

AND SINCE THEN I KNOW HE IS GOD
ALL HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Mudley313: 12:14pm On Oct 28, 2010
gameaddict:

@ ROSSIKE an everyone: Instead of abusing each other, can't we just accept that we don't know the answers instead of pretending as if we have all the wisdom in the world. Similar thing killed socrates. People before us and after us have and will contemplate over issues like this and to me, as with all things supernatural, these things will likely remain mysteries.

sorry those things are not mysteries nor supernatural, they are made up fairytales, folklores (jewish, not even african) and superstitions. or do you believe the oduduwa story because its supposed to be supernatural and we cant understand such mysteries. do you believe the moon literarily bowing to muhammed because its supposed to be supernatural and mysterious or that adam smith got some golden plates from angels that supposed to be added to the bible? you see why yours cannot be supernatural and mysterious while others are obvious absurdities and cock n bull stories?

Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 28, 2010
Two question for the religious:
I was made to understand christ is educated or enlightened, at least he can read and write. Why is there no record of anything written or signed by him??

As important as his so called message of gods kingdom is, i expected that he should av wriiten them down himself to avoid confusion or berra still, he should sign on the ones written by his so called apostles while he was still alive.

Why has religion caused so much war, disaster and pain to humanity and yet they make us believe that its there to lead man to peace??

Even the so-called men of god knows there is no god thats y they are so heartless.

Finally for many years on nairaland, this happens to be the most sensible post av seen so far. Am glad there are like minded Nigerians.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 28, 2010
Two question for the religious:
I was made to understand christ is educated or enlightened, at least he can read and write. Why is there no record of anything written or signed by him??

As important as his so called message of gods kingdom is, i expected that he should av wriiten them down himself to avoid confusion or berra still, he should sign on the ones written by his so called apostles while he was still alive.

Why has religion caused so much war, disaster and pain to humanity and yet they make us believe that its there to lead man to peace??

Even the so-called men of god knows there is no god thats y they are so heartless.

Finally for many years on nairaland, this happens to be the most sensible post av seen so far. Am glad there are like minded Nigerians.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by JesusDWay(m): 1:26pm On Oct 28, 2010
@Poster and those who support him.

Many religions practice the art of sacrificing animals to take away sins. You can take your time to find this out. There must be something unique about this practice that will make it common to those religions. My submission is this, this a practice that God Himself started when He used the skin of an animal to clothe Adam and Eve(He must have killed the animal before He can use its skin and is a type of what He will do when He will send Christ to die on the cross) and others have picked it up as all knowledge proceeds from God, though some may have twisted it.

The wages of sin is death. Armed robbers and high offenders that are killed for their deeds should suffice if you want proofs. God sent His Son to die for us so that we will not have to receive the wages of our sins, that is why He is referred to as the Lamb of God that was slain from the foundation of the world and the Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the whole world. The bible did tells us that we were born sinners and nothing can be truer. Nobody taught us how to lie when we were small, how to steal, etc, we just did them naturally because that is the nature we were born with.

God so loved the world, that is why He will pay attention on this planet and not other planet even if the earth seems insignificant. If thats His choice, you cannot question it. You and i have the right to our choices and so God also.

Nobody makes the Sun and the Moon to come out when they do. At least, there has been no scientific explanation for why they come out at the time they do but the bible says God made it to be so and so it was. This is to make you know, that there must be someone behind all these. Nothing just happens. Even Newton's First Law of motion supports this. I'm telling you the truth with all my heart, God really does exists and He has His own ways and they are higher than our own.

Believe Him today and ask Jesus to come into your heart, and He will reveal Himself to you. He is the reason for all existence.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Dauchman(m): 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Dauchman said:

Get this: There is NO evidence for the existence of a ''Jesus Christ'' if we mean a man who was born by a virgin, and was the son of God who performed miracles etc. There is ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD of this person in ANY independent document contemporary to the alleged time of his existence. If you have any, I challenge you here and now to provide it. In addition, none of the ''gospels'' were written earlier than 60 years AFTER the alleged ascension of ''Jesus'' into ''heaven''.

By the way, if you look at the ascension story, it really is the height of tomfoolery isn't it? We are supposed to accept that a flesh and blood person rose up before onlookers and ascended up into heaven. Where is heaven? Is it up in the sky? Is it a physical location? Some sort of planet Has the Vatican commisioned NASA to try and locate this place? My understanding of heaven, and the understanding of African and other pre-christian religions is that it is a spiritual  environment and not a physical location, so one would have to shed their physical body first, or ''die'', in order to enter ''heaven''. The christ ascension story makes a complete mockery of the concept of human/soul transcendence.

There you go again, you are totally wrong because there is. This goes to show that you have done very little research. I implore thee to dig further and see it all written in black and white. If i give it to you you would just write a lot of rubbish here so i task you to do like i did and research and get materials for yourself. There was a man called Jesus who lived 2000years ago and said things to imply he was the same with God and got the Jews really pissed off that they had him crucified.

You ever wondered how come this particular story of Jesus Christ has grown so much and the stories of lesser gods have fallen by the way side, we call them legend or myth by the way. There have been other great spiritual leaders who have lived on this planet like Buddha but his story has not grown like the story of Jesus Christ.

But meanwhile you didn't answer my own question. When you are able to answer that then we can move and just for the sake of clarity let me ask you again (Why have we not found life on other planets within our own solar system). If the big bang was able to create life on earth, why not on other planets. Start thinking my dear friend there are greater powers at work here. Have you ever read Darwin theory on evolution, do you really think we started as apes.

I agree with you that there seems to be a lot of flaws in the stories the bible tells but have you ever thought that it might be as a result of poor translations. Can you translate your native tongue very well to English without loosing some meaning?
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by daylae(m): 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2010
Jesus died to pay the price we could not and cannot pay on our own;for our good deeds and holiness is not enough( the nature of sin is in our DNA). And God,because of his loving nature, he sent christ to die in our stead. For christ to qualify to take our place,he must be as much man as if he  had never been the son of God and just as much the son of God as if he had never been man. The biblical declaration that "the wages of sin is death" did not apply to him. Because he was not only finite man but finite God,he have the infinite capacity to take upon himself the sins of the world. When he said, "it is finished,"while on the cross, the just,righteous nature of God was satisfied. God was "set free" to deal with humanity in love without having to destroy a sinful individual,because through jesus death on the cross,God's righteous nature was satisfied. And this really means propitiation(satisfaction of a requirement).  

Take for example a criminal,already knowing the punishment for his sins is to be executed. When standing before the jugde,the judge read the citation and said,"guilty or not guilty?" the criminal replied, "guilty." the judge brought down the gavel and sentenced him to death. Then an amazing thing took place. The judge stood up,took off his robe,walked down around in front,and offer to pay the price. What's the explanation of this? The judge was also the father,and yet he was a judge. The son had broken the law,and couldn't treat the case partially. If he had done that,he wouldn't have heen a righteous judge. He wouldn't have upheld the law. But he loved his son so much he was willing to take of his judicial robe and come down to take his place.
This illustration pictures what God did for us through jesus. We sinned. His words says,"the wages of sin is death." No matter how  much he loved us,he had to bring down the gavel and say death,because he is a righteous and just God. And yet he came down to  pay the price cus of his love.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by FrenchyL(m): 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2010
Jesus was born a sacrifice, he was born to die for all of mankind. I hope this helps, grin
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Sike(m): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2010
By all account, God introduced Sacrifices, for him to use his only son to do one.
That means he Supported It.
For Someone to use his blood as a sacrifice, is that what Christainity is all about?
They kick against Sacrifices but yet, Invented it, I TIRE OOO!
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by wendyc: 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ poster
it seams that you and some others have misunderstood the reason behind Jesus laying his life down, or like u put it, why did OD have to kill his son.

No one had/has the power to kill Jesus. He layed it down freely to atone for our sins, the sins of everyone of us here on earth. it was also mentioned and asked out of all the universe why earth, based on your science the universe that has humans in them is earth. We humans were formed, created out of dust, the whole earth was without form just like other universe but GOD decided to bring it to life, creating us humans. the intention was right, He created us and then we took it upon ourselves to sin.
it's very sad when i read here on naira land of different people coming and speaking blasphemy and questioning if there is a GOD, or Jesus and stuff like that. the modern world has turned so many things around, and as we take other cultures and accept things from other countries, we forget our own taking what is wrong in other countries and thinking we r right.
the western world has always believed in GOD, in Christ. people somethings get hurt and feel there is no GOD when things don't go the way they want, or for example when an innocent dies. the question is "is there really a GOD" and why would he let such happen.

some people think they know all about GOD, but the truth is that we don't know all abou him because HE is more than what people say. things happen that we can't explain why it happens, God has a reason for everything, some may be known to us and others are not. one thing that you must know is that there is GOD, and no matter how hurt you might have being, or if you just want some type of attention, HE IS REAL.

JESUS gave himself, his own blood so that we sinners would not perish.he coud have easily said no forget it, but for love.if u really love a person, not fake love, or love on he lips alone that most practice, we'll be more than willingly happy o lay down our lives for d person. my prayer is hat any way you might have being hurt, that the LORD minister his love and comfort to u. and with time i know you will come around. won't u rather ake GOD and accep JESUS while u are on earth, and accep him now, than to get to the other side when u close ur eyes and find out that he exist.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Image123(m): 3:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
rossike
Image123:

Isaiah 53- He was wounded for our transgressions. He was bruised for our iniquities. How could i explain this, pass this through, to make the blind see, the deaf hear and the dead understand. It's above the ordinary, God.
The summary of what i've read through so far is still 'why did God have to kill His Son?' It's being said already but let's re-try this. Man was made to succeed. He was built with potential to excel, put in a perfect world and given a splendid wife(Genesis 1,2). This may not completely describe it but pictures it: just like manufacturers, the product was tested, not computer simulation or is it virtual that's it's called. A real life test was carried out, and man fell. He had all the defences and strengths for the test inbuilt but he fell/failed.
The test seemed so easy, He could take all, ALL but one(tree of knowledge of good and evil). He was even given an hint of the correct answer to this test, but he willingly failed.
Now, in God's kingdom, there is punishment for failure/sin(falling below God's standard). The punishment is death/seperation from God(Genesis 2v17). Man has to die. Plan B is rescue/pardon/forgiveness. Strangely true and Like many say "nothing goes for nothing". Pardon comes at an expense, in God's kingdom. The expense is a substitution, a ransom/payment, redemption.
Image123:

Now, even naturally speaking, it's not easy or even reason for the guilty to plead for the guilty, prisoner wanting to take the place of another prisoner. Its an innocent one, a free one, a respected one that can effectively plead for the guilty. No man was found innocent for all have sinned before God. The soul that sins shall die(Ezekiel 18v4). And without shedding of blood, there is no remission(payment/cancellation).i.e Leviticus 17v11. So animals were used in place of man. But the blood of animals couldn't do a permanent job but only cover the sin for a while. Why? Because man is not just flesh/body but spirit, soul and body. He had fallen 'all over'. Animals DO NOT have this tripartite nature. Only man could truly ransom man, and oops, all men were guilty. So Jesus came, not of the seed of the man but as the seed of the woman(Genesis 3v15). His blood was clean for the exchange/payment. Devil tried to corrupt him though but he overcame, and He went to calvary for this purpose. He lived to die. He gave His life a ransom(Mark 10v45). That's why He came, God so much loved us that He gave/released Him for us, for eternal life. All we need to do to appropriate this payment is simply TAKE IT i.e believe it, accept Jesus as Saviour, that's what He came for.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Kay17: 4:07pm On Oct 28, 2010
And this God is suppose to be omnipotent o!
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 28, 2010
Dauchman said:

There you go again, you are totally wrong because there is. This goes to show that you have done very little research. I implore thee to dig further and see it all written in black and white. If i give it to you you would just write a lot of rubbish here so i task you to do like i did and research and get materials for yourself. There was a man called Jesus who lived 2000years ago and said things to imply he was the same with God and got the Jews really pissed off that they had him crucified.

Sometimes I wonder if you christians think you're dealing with idiots. I just stated there was ZERO evidence for Jesus' existence, and instead of YOU to PROVIDE this evidence, you brag your way through the poser, insisting there is such evidence and asking ME to search for it.

Bros, I have searched. There is none that couldn't easily have been DREAMT UP by someone, as all were claims made several decades after the alleged life of ''Jesus''.

Do you realise the original gospels had an anonymous author? No one actually knows who wrote them. It was only decades after their 'discovery' that each book was attributed to ''Mark'', ''Luke'', ''John'' etc etc. No one knows for sure who these people are, or if they actually ever existed.

You ever wondered how come this particular story of Jesus Christ has grown so much and the stories of lesser gods have fallen by the way side, we call them legend or myth by the way. There have been other great spiritual leaders who have lived on this planet like Buddha but his story has not grown like the story of Jesus Christ.

In sheer terms of numbers of devotees, Buddha is probably just as popular as ''Jesus''. Do you know the population of China? And this ''our god is more popular than other gods so he must be true'' is a false argument utterly bereft of legitimacy. The ONLY reason christianity (and islam) are so commonly practiced today is that their inventors used THE SWORD to coerce populations across the world, in bloody crusades and jihads. In places like Nigeria, the British who seized the country, cornered the resources and diverted them to themselves and their new 'native'western-educated elite. To join this elite, to access this new economy, one HAD to attend a western type school, in every case run by church missionaries, where conversion to christianity was a pre-requisite for education. So it was due to economic coercion and force that people across the world joined those two faiths. It is the reason YOU are a christian today, and not by any ''special blessing from heaven'' or whatever stuff they've drummed into your head.

By the way, there was a time Egyptian gods Horus and his father Osiris were known as ''God the son'' and ''God the father'', respectively around the world. So popularity means nothing.

But meanwhile you didn't answer my own question. When you are able to answer that then we can move and just for the sake of clarity let me ask you again (Why have we not found life on other planets within our own solar system). If the big bang was able to create life on earth, why not on other planets.

We can barely find our way out of our grain of dust we call earth to the next grain of dust, and you're wondering why we have not found intelligent life in the universe? That's like a man who lacks the means to exit his own village claiming there are no people in Australia, America or China because he hasn't seen any.

I agree with you that there seems to be a lot of flaws in the stories the bible tells but have you ever thought that it might be as a result of poor translations. Can you translate your native tongue very well to English without loosing some meaning?

Here's one translation that went awry in the bible. The original term used for ''God'' or ''the Lord'' was Elohim, ie ''the gods''. The Jews were a polytheistic people and most of their descriptions of what ''God'' did were actually referring to what ''the gods'' did. Only later after they became monotheistic did the rendition of those stories and their translation become references to ''God''. So there is an awful lot you're not being told by the priests, bishops, pastors and cardinals after your mind and your pocket.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by kuraking(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2010
2000 year
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by OmoTier1(m): 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2010
kura king:

2000 year has gone by and the world not better than what God planned. Has God failed? And should Christianity be based on self pity, would there not still be Christians if Jesus had not died on the cross?
This is what I call ignorance gone on rampage! Do you even know the meaning of Christianity? Have you ever read about what transpired at Anthioch? How the term "Christianity" became associated with those that follow after Jesus? Do you even know what is means to be called a "CHRISTIAN"? Before Jesus came, there was nothing like CHRISTIANS. All those who had right standing with God (i.e. RIGHTEOUSNESS) had to do so by the LAW. Meaning, you must STRICTLY obey all the do's and dont's that God commanded through the PROPHET. However, when jesus came, HE established a RIGHTEOUSNESS which is not based on the LAW rather is it based on FAITH in the son of God who took our place and after his death and resurection, HE (JESUS) became the mediator between God and Man.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
Omniimpotent, more like it. wink
Kay 17:

And this God is suppose to be omnipotent o!
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:42pm On Oct 28, 2010
Tory boku. Each person is just making things up according to their own interpretations based on their limited understanding of inherited fifthhand data given to their forefathers by white european slave-trading colonialists. Wonderful!
Omo_Tier1:

This is what I call ignorance gone on rampage! Do you even know the meaning of Christianity? Have you ever read about what transpired at Anthioch? How the term "Christianity" became associated with those that follow after Jesus? Do you even know what is means to be called a "CHRISTIAN"? Before Jesus came, there was nothing like CHRISTIANS. All those who had right standing with God (i.e. RIGHTEOUSNESS) had to do so by the LAW. Meaning, you must STRICTLY obey all the do's and dont's that God commanded through the PROPHET. However, when jesus came, HE established a RIGHTEOUSNESS which is not based on the LAW rather is it based on FAITH in the son of God who took our place and after his death and resurection, HE (JESUS) became the mediator between God and Man.

Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Kay17: 5:43pm On Oct 28, 2010
Their god has just a cheap showman! Miracles! am azz.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Kay17: 5:50pm On Oct 28, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

Error 1 Ignorance = Faith. Now that was true! grin
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by ama1(m): 6:31pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ ROSSIKE

ROSSIKE:

Dauchman said:

Sometimes I wonder if you christians think you're dealing with idiots. I just stated there was ZERO evidence for Jesus' existence, and instead of YOU to PROVIDE this evidence, you brag your way through the poser, insisting there is such evidence and asking ME to search for it.

Bros, I have searched. There is none that couldn't easily have been DREAMT UP by someone, as all were claims made several decades after the alleged life of ''Jesus''.

Do you realise the original gospels had an anonymous author? No one actually knows who wrote them. It was only decades after their 'discovery' that each book was attributed to ''Mark'', ''Luke'', ''John'' etc etc. No one knows for sure who these people are, or if they actually ever existed.

In sheer terms of numbers of devotees, Buddha is probably just as popular as ''Jesus''. Do you know the population of China? And this ''our god is more popular than other gods so he must be true'' is a false argument utterly bereft of legitimacy. The ONLY reason christianity (and islam) are so commonly practiced today is that their inventors used THE SWORD to coerce populations across the world, in bloody crusades and jihads. In places like Nigeria, the British who seized the country, cornered the resources and diverted them to themselves and their new 'native'western-educated elite. To join this elite, to access this new economy, one HAD to attend a western type school, in every case run by church missionaries, where conversion to christianity was a pre-requisite for education. So it was due to economic coercion and force that people across the world joined those two faiths. It is the reason YOU are a christian today, and not by any ''special blessing from heaven'' or whatever stuff they've drummed into your head.

By the way, there was a time Egyptian gods Horus and his father Osiris were known as ''God the son'' and ''God the father'', respectively around the world. So popularity means nothing.

We can barely find our way out of our grain of dust we call earth to the next grain of dust, and you're wondering why we have not found intelligent life in the universe? That's like a man who lacks the means to exit his own village claiming there are no people in Australia, America or China because he hasn't seen any.

Here's one translation that went awry in the bible. The original term used for ''God'' or ''the Lord'' was Elohim, ie ''the gods''. The Jews were a polytheistic people and most of their descriptions of what ''God'' did were actually referring to what ''the gods'' did. Only later after they became monotheistic did the rendition of those stories and their translation become references to ''God''. So there is an awful lot you're not being told by the priests, bishops, pastors and cardinals after your mind and your pocket.

We Africans can no longer be fooled as the Europeans were fooled many years ago during the dark age until they began to reason scientifically and logically. Unquestionable religious beliefs were examined and defeated.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by gameaddict(m): 6:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
@ Mudley313: Nice question grin

I do believe it's supernatural. I do not take the claims of other religions as just tales because I don't believe them. I see them as lies, perhaps by this supernatural beings themselves and individuals who participate in the religion to lead people away from the true God. It gets really heated and frustrating especially with many religions asking people to have faith.

I accept Christianity on faith. It entails me to take others as falsehood and deceptions. It does not entail me to believe that supernatural events do not happen in other religions however. The point is, to each religion, others are not worshiping the true God. It doesn't mean they do not partake in supernatural things. It just means they may be worshiping the enemies of God.

Despite all this, one still has to take note that some of this gods may not exist and are false. Some I think, not all. Some events too may be false. Humans are too quick to ascribe things to the supernatural and many people have fallen victim to this. Many times we hear of witch hunts and confessions but in most cases, it turns out the witch is actually suffering from a psychological problem.

One just has to be careful I think.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Amacaco: 7:45pm On Oct 28, 2010
T he bible records in 1 Corinthians 1:18 that the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness but unto them that are called, it is the power of God. In 1 Corinthians 2: 14, the bible says that the man without the Spirit of God does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned. so if you do understand why God had to send His Son in order to forgive you, I am not surprised. God is a just God and sin must be punished. Christ took the punishment for you.
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Mudley313: 8:13pm On Oct 28, 2010
gameaddict:

@ Mudley313: Nice question  grin
I do believe it's supernatural. I do not take the claims of other religions as just tales because I don't believe them. I see them as lies, perhaps by this supernatural beings themselves and individuals who participate in the religion to lead people away from the true God.

you do know people of these religious faiths believe the same about your own god just as strongly as you do about theirs? your god (and all the other gods) do not exist outside the pages of their various religious texts and in the minds of their deluded followers

Omo_Tier1:

HE (JESUS) became the mediator between God and Man.

Amacaco:

God is a just God and sin must be punished. Christ took the punishment for you.

hmm, i thought jesus is supposed to be god/one and the same with god? smh @ europeans brainwashing y'all with things that are obviously absurd to even a 3 year old

[center][/center]
Re: Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 28, 2010
CHILDREN ARE NATURALLY BORN ATHEISTS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mistakes Most Christians In Nigeria Make / Was Man Created Before Satan Rebelled Against God or After? / Francisca Emmanuel: Ritual Is Biblical - Nigerian Pastor Tells Congregation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.