Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,176 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention (16720 Views)

Okada Ban: Riders Sue Lagos Government / I Didn’t Sue FG For N1bn Over Home Invasion – Okorocha / Sowore: Washington Post Condemns Buhari Over Detention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 7:32pm On Sep 02, 2019
mysteriousman:
Nice development but if they weren't held in detention beyond the number of days the law stipulates then they have no case but if they were compensation is coming there way

The police can detain anyone for up to 48 hours without charge...
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by GGirll: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2019
1shortblackboy:
I think the police were right to detain and interrogate them. But the problem is Nigeria police love for media. This culture of parading people before cameras is illegal and unconstitutional

Because they paraded aboki it is now unconstitutional you guys should learn for one day to call a spade a spade or shut up abeg!!!!

1 Like

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2019
1shortblackboy:
I think the police were right to detain and interrogate them. But the problem is Nigeria police love for media. This culture of parading people before cameras is illegal and unconstitutional

You mean like the 67 Nigerian fraud suspects arrested by the FBI in the US?
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by OdefaGirl(f): 7:39pm On Sep 02, 2019
This one is a serious migration..that the law allows us move freely in this country doesn't mean you have to suffocate the indigenes. The number was too much for migrating once, if allowed freely, the next movement will double... That's not healthy for a state.

Moreover, lawyers don see food. Those people sitting down there might not even know that a case has been established on their behalf.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 1shortblackboy: 7:49pm On Sep 02, 2019
GGirll:

Because they paraded aboki it is now unconstitutional you guys should learn for one day to call a spade a spade or shut up abeg!!!!
what exactly is your problem with my statement? I have always maintained that parading people on camera is not right whether "aboki" or "afonja" or "Igbos"
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 1shortblackboy: 7:51pm On Sep 02, 2019
9jaRealist:

You mean like the 67 Nigerian fraud suspects arrested by the FBI in the US?
>
what's your point please
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by chernest2002: 8:00pm On Sep 02, 2019
These bokoharamites have succeeded in moving into lagos .
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Sagay212: 8:01pm On Sep 02, 2019
Why pack yourselves like sardine in a truck with bikes in a sinister way into any part of the country and expect the police not to stop and search you to ensure you are not bunch of blood sucking boko haram terrorists? Even SARS dey search normal people wey dey waka or drive average looking car if they find you suspicious.

Some people are forming law on top this matter and when these guys start displaying their normal way of life from wherever they come from and attacking you, you will be crying security and govt. They are doing their job to scrutinise them now and people are talking nonsense about right. The governors and commissioners and other elites have security men. You the ordinary people don't have. Somebody will enter naija from mali , Sudan or niger republic and claim he is from jigawa or borno or yola as they cannot be differentiated and you think they should just be allowed go enter anyhow they like.

1 Like

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by tot(f): 8:08pm On Sep 02, 2019
StrikeBack:
grin
This is all they need

See below

At least, it's an honest job.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by pawesome(m): 8:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
TGM2015:
Waste of money.

They travel in an unusual way, that is, locked themselves inside a Van. If it was an open van now, there is possibility of them not being arrest by the Police. Considering the current security situation in the country, their means of transportation is highly suspicious. The Police can argue that in court and the action was carried out in good faith and in accordance with their constitutional duties. On their motorcycle and other belongings not being released by the Police, the question is, do they present satisfactory proofs of ownership and the Police still hold on unto their motorcycles/belongings?

I just pity them, they are carried away by supports from one political party and ethnic group not knowing that those people have history of giving bad lucks to person/course of action they give their support to.

Good luck to them.
so there is a kind of travel that is unusual... Wonderful
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by StrikeBack(m): 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2019
tot:

At least, it's an honest job.
no doubt
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Eportal123: 8:22pm On Sep 02, 2019
On top Wetin? Dey don Dey imbibe us mentality into our people. Everything don turn sue. This ones wan rich by force oh !!!
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by qleap2all(m): 8:50pm On Sep 02, 2019
[quote author=wakaman post=81856157]Good one, and dem say aboki no get sense, if na some people now, na to they abuse people online and to dey beat hairy chest for room and other sorts of public and private nuisance.

Abokis wey sabi![/quote
That one na sense! That trailer wey pack them na for goods only. So they must explain where are they going to deliver those bikes to !

1 Like

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by tsavkeghps(m): 8:59pm On Sep 02, 2019
Alright
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by adecz: 8:59pm On Sep 02, 2019
Most of these guys are not even Nigerians!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 9:00pm On Sep 02, 2019
1shortblackboy:
what's your point please

There's nothing wrong or "unconstitutional" about publicly exposing/parading criminal suspects...

At the fundamental CORE of the criminal justice process is OPENNESS and TRANSPARENCY, and that is why the constitution itself provides for (and guarantees) a PUBLIC process, including a PUBLIC trial. The public apprehension and/or arrest (and even the so-called "parade" - which is colloquially referred to in the US as the "perp walk" ) is NOT a pronouncement or finding of legal guilt, nor does it affect the constitutional presumption of INNOCENCE which burden the State can only be overcome in a properly-constituted court of law with legally-sufficient evidences of proof BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT! These effectively "PR" stunts by Police and other law enforcement bodies virtually across the Globe may be designed to grant comfort to the population regarding the efficacy of law enforcement but has NO substantive effect on the rights of suspects. Let's quit wasting our time in Nigeria chasing shadows in derogation o substance.
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Came4amod: 9:02pm On Sep 02, 2019
Lol funny as hell .. Aboki take FG to court grin grin grin grin
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by DedeNkem: 9:05pm On Sep 02, 2019
Igbos were "repatriated" from Lagos back to East, and nobody sued the Lagos govt. which should have happened because the suit would have had more merit that the case of these ab*okis!

Lagos govt. has right to stop and question anyone entering the State likewise other States! Herdsmen terrorists have been invading and slaughtering communities that welcome them! So it's prudent to suspect a huge trailer filled with these people!

The suit would go nowhere.

2 Likes

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by flecho: 9:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
smithe113:
Rubbish........They can never win the case

Its also the duty of a state government to ensure security of lives and properties of her state.

There is no reasonable state government that would open its eyes and see hundreds of Aboki migrate into the state without screening them and confirming their purpose of migration considering the current insecurity in the country.

Boko Haram troops could also be moved into Lagos then if the state government has no right to detain them for investigation as to the mass migration
You are right the means dy use to enter Lagos and cross other states is unlawful and also an unsafe act, do dy can't win in court and dy have to provide evidence(identification) dat dy are Nigerians because d northern borders is an open gate even the Nigeria president have claimed most Fulani herdsmen are from Libya.

1 Like

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 9:18pm On Sep 02, 2019
pawesome:
so there is a kind of travel that is unusual... Wonderful

But of course, there is... undecided

Without prejudice to this particular case (as I am not privy to how these dudes travelled, except that it must have been peculiar enough for several ordinary citizens to have reportedly voiced unease even before the Police apprehended them), but if you travel in the trunk (boot) of a car, on the bonnet of a car, on top of a car and in a sealed container, that would be considered by most rational people as an "unusual" kind of travel. So also would those many Nigerians who have taken to riding on top of commuter trains (apparently to avoid paying carriage fares) - even though in Nigeria these days what is easily recognized as unusual in many civilized parts of the world has sadly become 'normal' to us in Nigeria!
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Asour: 9:23pm On Sep 02, 2019
9jaRealist:

What is this Nigerian obsession with secrecy, and doing everything undercover?
TRANSPARENCY is a GOOD thing, and it’s GOOD all this was done PUBLICLY and above board.
>

I follow you and perfectly respect your views.

But I think I would Partly disagree here.

For one, Nigeria's law enforcement systems are highly flawed. Transparency may sound good but publicity (brought upon by transparency sometimes can be damaging).

What stops them from going through a thorough investigation/profiling before arousing public apprehension.

Any Nigerian. Any Nigerian. Who thinks 120something Northerners coming to Lagos (or any other state) is something unique/strange is totally Ignorant about internal migration in Nigeria.

You don't need to travel too much to see these guys move in their numbers (on trucks) to various states across the Country in search of greener pastures.

Excessive publicity (AKA Transparency) may be good in many matters of public interest, but care has to be taken.
In a country with massive enlightenment deficits (including amongst the very educated) any publicity can sway large groups into making crazy conclusions — leading them right into the arms of bad actors.

Personally, I recognize the police power to arrest/hold but I think in this case nothing stops them from quietly investigating these guys and — arresting them if they're found wanting.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 9:36pm On Sep 02, 2019
Asour:
I follow you and perfectly respect your views.

But I think I would Partly disagree here.

For one, Nigeria's law enforcement systems are highly flawed. Transparency may sound good but publicity (brought upon by transparency sometimes can be damaging).

What stops them from going through a thorough investigation/profiling before arousing public apprehension.

Any Nigerian. Any Nigerian. Who thinks 120something Northerners coming to Lagos (or any other state) is something unique/strange is totally Ignorant about internal migration in Nigeria.

You don't need to travel too much to see these guys move in their numbers (on trucks) to various states across the Country in search of greener pastures.

Excessive publicity (AKA Transparency) may be good in many matters of public interest, but care has to be taken.
In a country with massive enlightenment deficits (including amongst the very educated) any publicity can sway large groups into making crazy conclusions — leading them right into the arms of bad actors.

Personally, I recognize the police power to arrest/hold but I think in this case nothing stops them from quietly investigating these guys and — arresting them if they're found wanting.

Ironically that's what lends credibility to this incident...

The fact that (according to news reports) many ordinary citizens and the Police, who are transferred and live in many different locations across this vast country, found something unusual about this group to apprehend and bring them in for questioning is telling in of itself.

Nonetheless, TRANSPARENCY is always a good thing. That's the reason that the Constitution mandates a PUBLIC criminal justice process. It would have been far worse if these dudes were arrested in secret and interrogated in secret. The rumours alone could be catastrophic.

Nothing sanitizes better than the broad daylight of a PUBLIC process!
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 1shortblackboy: 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2019
9jaRealist:

There's nothing wrong or "unconstitutional" about publicly exposing/parading criminal suspects...

At the fundamental CORE of the criminal justice process is OPENNESS and TRANSPARENCY, and that is why the constitution itself provides for (and guarantees) a PUBLIC process, including a PUBLIC trial. The public apprehension and/or arrest (and even the so-called "parade" - which is colloquially referred to in the US as the "perp walk" ) is NOT a pronouncement or finding of legal guilt, nor does it affect the constitutional presumption of INNOCENCE which burden the State can only be overcome in a properly-constituted court of law with legally-sufficient evidences of proof BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT! These effectively "PR" stunts by Police and other law enforcement bodies virtually across the Globe may be designed to grant comfort to the population regarding the efficacy of law enforcement but has NO substantive effect on the rights of suspects. Let's quit wasting our time in Nigeria chasing shadows in derogation o substance.
>
I disagree with u sir. No where does our laws say police could parade suspects in the media. All the law provides for is arrest detain investigate and prosecute.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Asour: 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2019
9jaRealist:

Ironically that's what lends credibility to this incident...

The fact that (according to news reports) many ordinary citizens and the Police, who are transferred and live in many different locations across this vast country, found something unusual about this group to apprehend and bring them in for questioning is telling in of itself.

Nonetheless, TRANSPARENCY is always a good thing. That's the reason that the Constitution mandates a PUBLIC criminal justice process. It would have been far worse if these dudes were arrested in secret and interrogated in secret. The rumours alone could be catastrophic.

Nothing sanitizes better than the broad daylight of a PUBLIC process!
>

Thanks for responding. Again, As humans we have to be nuanced in our view points.

Most things are NOT always good. If Transparency is ALWAYS good why does the government operate a cladestine service called the DSS (changing the name from, well, secret)?

If Transparency is ALWAYS good why then does the government label some meetings as "closed door" meetings?

I am not a lawyer but even I know that a judge may decide to
Impose some level of privacy to certain case proceedings. (Determining few/who would be allowed).

Transparency is perfectly suited to issues of Public accountability & administration.

Where human dignity and public peace stands to be eroded, Transparency considerations should be nuanced.

You don't lose anything by investigating a matter before come to make public statements. You may say public assurances. Well. Any Nigerian who is rest assured of Lagos' safety JUST because of this "catch" would be totally gullible.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Nukilia: 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2019
kunmiiii:
Some useless ambulance chasers called lawyers now want to milk this incident and extort the Lagos State Govt, the police did the right thing, given the insecurity across the country, it's a cause for alarm having such large number of people probably without documentation coming into a State like refugees, and they were not detained more than 48hrs which is still within the ambit of the law, so what's their case? The lives and security of almost 20million Lagosians trumps 123 people abeg.

Another set of people were trooping in as at yesterday with their motorcycles.. . I think we have a huge crisis in our hands. This is gradually spilling down South... The Northern governors have failed their people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Gandollaar(f): 10:17pm On Sep 02, 2019
TGM2015:
Waste of money.

They travel in an unusual way, that is, locked themselves inside a Van. If it was an open van now, there is possibility of them not being arrest by the Police. Considering the current security situation in the country, their means of transportation is highly suspicious. The Police can argue that in court and the action was carried out in good faith and in accordance with their constitutional duties. On their motorcycle and other belongings not being released by the Police, the question is, do they present satisfactory proofs of ownership and the Police still hold on unto their motorcycles/belongings?

I just pity them, they are carried away by supports from one political party and ethnic group not knowing that those people have history of giving bad lucks to person/course of action they give their support to.

Good luck to them.
And you were making sense till you started fishing for idiots towards the end.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:32pm On Sep 02, 2019
This is excellent; it would serve as a deterrent to those who insist on profiling and discriminating against northerners.
That was how they started that rubbish in the SE, under GEJ; until northern youths threaten them with similar reprisals.
Northerners should continue asserting themselves and never allow anybody to take them for granted.

1 Like

Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Reference(m): 10:47pm On Sep 02, 2019
ItsMeAboki:
This is excellent; it would serve as a deterrent to those who insist on profiling and discriminating against northerners.
That was how they started that rubbish in the SE, under GEJ; until northern youths threaten them with similar reprisals.
Northerners should continue asserting themselves and never allow anybody to take them for granted.

Yet when others want to 'Assert' themselves it now becomes a problem....
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Reference(m): 10:50pm On Sep 02, 2019
Nukilia:

Another set of people were trooping in as at yesterday with their motorcycles.. . I think we have a huge crisis in our hands. This is gradually spilling down South... The Northern governors have failed their people

Crisis?.... what crisis?.... I thought the government is doing fantastically well.... oh well, what do I know. Enjoy your Nigeria.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 11:24pm On Sep 02, 2019
Asour:
Thanks for responding. Again, As humans we have to be nuanced in our view points.

Most things are NOT always good. If Transparency is ALWAYS good why does the government operate a cladestine service called the DSS (changing the name from, well, secret)?

If Transparency is ALWAYS good why then does the government label some meetings as "closed door" meetings?

I am not a lawyer but even I know that a judge may decide to
Impose some level of privacy to certain case proceedings. (Determining few/who would be allowed).

Transparency is perfectly suited to issues of Public accountability & administration.

Where human dignity and public peace stands to be eroded, Transparency considerations should be nuanced.

You don't lose anything by investigating a matter before come to make public statements. You may say public assurances. Well. Any Nigerian who is rest assured of Lagos' safety JUST because of this "catch" would be totally gullible.

You mean "public statements" like they stopped/questioned them...
And determined they are Northern Nigerians looking for a better life?! shocked

First, a Secret Service is NOT necessarily a good thing or a legitimate tool of governance, whether it is the so-called DSS that recently invaded the National Assembly where the ELECTED representatives of the Nigerian people conduct business or Hitler's Gestapo or Sadam's Mukhabarat or East Germany's Stasi or the Soviet's KGB. Not least because many governments (unfortunately including Nigeria's) often mistake their own narrow interests with "national interest", which of course is NOT synonymous.

Nonetheless, with all due respect, you appear to misunderstand the concept of TRANSPARENCY - which is predicated upon the PROCESS rather than the outcome. Accordingly, even if you do not agree with the substance of the Police's conduct in this case, it is nevertheless even more important that the process was PUBLIC (and relatively transparent), so that even people like you who substantively disagree with the Police know enough about what transpired and are thus in a better position to criticize.
>
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by Asour: 11:30pm On Sep 02, 2019
9jaRealist:

You mean "public statements" like they stopped/questioned them...
And determined they are Northern Nigerians looking for a better life?! shocked

First, a Secret Service is NOT necessarily a good thing or a legitimate tool of governance, whether it is the so-called DSS that recently invaded the National Assembly where the ELECTED representatives of the Nigerian people conduct business or Hitler's Gestapo or Sadam's Mukhabarat or East Germany's Stasi or the Soviet's KGB. Not least because many governments (unfortunately including Nigeria's) often mistake their own narrow interests with "national interest", which of course is NOT synonymous.

Nonetheless, with all due respect, you appear to misunderstand the concept of TRANSPARENCY - which is predicated upon the PROCESS rather than the outcome. Accordingly, even if you do not agree with the substance of the Police's conduct in this case, it is nevertheless even more important that the process was PUBLIC (and relatively transparent), so that even people like you who substantively disagree with the Police know enough about what transpired and are thus in a better position to criticize.
>

Thanks. We agree to disagree then.
Re: 123 Jigawa Men Sue Lagos For N1bn Over Detention by 9jaRealist: 11:31pm On Sep 02, 2019
Asour:
Thanks. We agree to disagree then.

No problem. Enjoy the rest of your day...
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos4Lagos Chieftains Sunday Ajayi, Aka-Basorun, Others Rejoin APC In Lagos / Kalu, Ribadu, Others Form Political Group. / Buhari: We Disappointed Prophets Of Doom In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.