Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,990 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos (5027 Views)

Buhari Reduces Federal Ministries To 25 / Command Centre In Abuja To Relocate To Maiduguri / Buhari Considers Only 19 Ministers [see List Of Ministries To Be Retained/scrapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:29pm On Oct 31, 2010
Indications emerged yesterday that President Goodluck Jonathan is contemplating relocating some key federal ministries from the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja to Lagos, Sunday Trust can reveal. Some of the ministries likely to be relocated include: Petroleum Resources, Transport and Aviation. A source in the presidency told Sunday Trust that the move may have pitched President Jonathan against his deputy, Vice President Muhammad Namadi Sambo, who was said to have appeared not to be well disposed to the plan.

Attempts to speak to the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Communications, Mr Ima Niboro was not successful as he didn’t pick the several calls made by this reporter through his mobile phones nor did he respond to the text message sent to him yesterday.
Also, when Sunday Trust contacted the Special Assistant to the Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili,  Mr Francis Agbo, he said that he was not “aware of the issue and the minister is not available for comments.”

When this reporter called the mobile phone of Professor Akunyili last night; a lady answered the phone saying that “the minister is in a meeting but you can leave a message for her.”  A text message was later sent to the minister but it was not replied up to the time the newspaper went to press last night.

According to informed sources in the Villa, a final decision is yet to be taken on the ministries to be moved, but it was gathered that the ministries of Transport, Aviation and possibly Petroleum Resources are among the key ones being contemplated.

It was gathered also that the plot to relocate some of these ministries may not be unconnected with the incumbent administration’s measures of de-congesting the expanding Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Vice President Sambo was said to have kicked against the plan to relocate some of the ministries back to Lagos for fear of the political backlash of the moves, particularly as the president is poised to contest the 2011 presidential polls against the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP’s) constitutional principle of zoning and power rotation.

“The vice president is not comfortable with the move because of its political implication of the action, particularly in the current electoral season. He is uncomfortable with the political implications of the plan, which is feared may put him in ‘trouble with his people from the North,’” the source said.

Sambo, it was leant is concerned that the decision could pitch him against the northerners who might read political meanings into any plan to relocate certain ministries back to Lagos for whatever reason.

The Publicity Secretary of the Jonathan/Sambo Presidential Campaign Organisation, Mr Sully Abuh also didn’t pick the several calls put through his mobile phones last night nor responded to the text message sent to him by this reporter over the issue.

When contacted the Public Affairs Strategist of the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation, Mr Yakubu Datti denied the story saying that “it is a by-product of mischief makers, who are not capable of embarking on issue-based campaign.” He said that “there is no sense in this because the president has been there in the last one year with all powers to do that but he didn’t do it,” Datti said.

The Jonathan campaign public affairs strategist added that if President Olusegun Obasanjo, having spent eight years as president didn’t see the need to do that, he didn’t see the wisdom for President Jonathan to do that. “It is the mischief of those people who have failed their region,” Datti said.

A source said yesterday that the presidency, which has been grappling with the controversy over the reallocation of nine oil wells to President Jonathan’s state of Bayelsa, cannot be caught in the web of another controversy at this crucial time when the proponents of zoning are closing ranks to adopt one presidential candidate for the 2011 elections. “This administration cannot afford to be caught in the web of another controversy coming after the simmering storm over the allocation of fresh nine oil wells to Bayelsa.

“Moreover, the face-off between the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke (SAN) and Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mrs Farida Waziri over the advisory list of purported “corrupt” politicians to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ahead of the 2011 polls, gives the impression that the government is at war with its self,” the source said.

http://sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5106:jonathan-to-relocate-some-ministries-to-lagos-its-not-true-campaign-organisation&catid=57:cover&Itemid=126
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by amtechost: 1:40pm On Oct 31, 2010
-
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 31, 2010
This guys' tenure is about to come to end but he acts like he has been sworn in for another 4 years.

Not like I have a problem with his actions including this one (if it happens) but it smacks of sheer bullishness or maybe there is something we do not know.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by jason12345: 2:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
i see no problem with this. i think he is de-centralising the power from abuja which i support!!!
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by atampakoeg(f): 2:36pm On Oct 31, 2010
A big lie. No official person commented or confirmed this story, yet you went to press with it?

Are you dafts?

All the officials that you called didnt pick their phone or replied your text messages, yet you went to publish the story.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 31, 2010
atampakoeg:

A big lie. No official person commented or confirmed this story, yet you went to press with it?

Are you dafts?

All the officials that you called didnt pick their phone or replied your text messages, yet you went to publish the story.

Make you take time read the article and assimilate am na.
The reporter said there are INDICATIONS; which means rumours which also means unconfirmed reports.

He called a few people to regarding the story but there was no one to conifrm or deny  it
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by atampakoeg(f): 2:54pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^^

I understand english. so, why is the topic titled as such?
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by Mariory(m): 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2010
A really really dumb idea. If you're trying to decongest a region in Nigeria, how can you then move people from that region to the most congested part of Nigeria? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by Abagworo(m): 5:10pm On Oct 31, 2010
Calabar will do.It is beautiful and well laid out.Lagos is over-congested.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by otokx(m): 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2010
This is a big lie
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by MaiSuya(m): 5:19pm On Oct 31, 2010
If this story happens to be true, I think its a good move. Abj is clearly becoming too conjested.

Furthermore, I really don't see what Sambo should be anxious about. What possible political advantage could accrue to the south by having more ministries there?

ABJ is not exactly 'North', by the way. . .
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by excanny: 5:25pm On Oct 31, 2010
Abagworo:

Seconded.

But i still don't believe this news as true.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by becomrich4: 5:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
You can not move it to calabar, because the law does not allow for it. It can only be moved to lagos, that what the law says. It can only be lagos or abuja. Even Jonathan can choice to be in lagos and not abuja if he likes.

Nigeria law allows it. When they move the capital from lagos to abuja. The law stated clearly that lagos was still a capital city of nigeria. Please check. Jonathan has the constitution power to move any ministry between lagos and abuja. please see the decree.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by atampakoeg(f): 5:28pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^^

God bless yah
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by becomrich4: 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
the law that established abuja clearly stated that all commercial activites must remain in lagos.

Ibrahim babaginda broke the law, when he said every federal ministries and activities should move to abuja which is Gwariland. Since Ibrahim Babaginda comes from Gwariland.  That was illegal.

What makes it funny, Ibrahim babaginda was a member of the Supreme military council that agreed that all commercial activites of the federal govt of Nigeria must remain in Lagos. The law does not allow for any form of commericial activities in abuja. Please verify this with an older nigeria before you make silly comment.

The thing is Ibrahim babaginda never care at that time what the Nigeria laws said, he just ask all of themEven bank headquater are not allow in abuja according to nigeria laws which established abuja.  The reason Ibrahim Babaginda broke the law of Nigeria and ask them to move everything to His people Gwariland , may have been because he was Gwari.  But under nigeria law. Lagos should still be the capital. To show you the level of wrong doing of the Northern military, even they remove lagos from the constitution and only put abuja. Which is illegal. Ask an nigerian who know the history of the FCT.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by ajilete(f): 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2010
a beg, abeg, a beg!!! they should keep their bomb threaten ministries in Abuja ojare! Lagos is over populated as it is. they should stay where they are and not spoil our Lagos for us ojare. Eko oni baje!
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by ajilete(f): 6:31pm On Oct 31, 2010
@becomrich,
IBB moved everything to Abuja when his life was threatened in the Orkar coup. He felt being closer north would be safer. Good luck to them all, they should just stay where they are. Chikena!
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by edoyad(m): 6:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
First and foremost where is the link to this rubbish falsity. Which newspaper wrote this cos i can't see any link ? This story was typed in someone's windowless room and posted here.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by mensdept: 6:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
@ becomrich4

My guy, na you sabi.

Everything must be Lagos, Benin Republic, Satellite map, and now Commercial LAW Ode

If we are talking about laws then we should go even farther into our history and see on what basis Naija was created. Then I will be happy to see what you have to say
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by MaiSuya(m): 6:44pm On Oct 31, 2010
ajilete:

@becomrich,
IBB moved everything to Abuja when his life was threatened in the Orkar coup. He felt being closer north would be safer. Good luck to them all, they should just stay where they are. Chikena!

I thot it was OBJ back in the seventies who actually initiated this relocation from Lagos to Abj?

What makes it funny, Ibrahim babaginda was a member of the Supreme military council that agreed that all commercial activites of the federal govt of Nigeria must remain in Lagos. The law does not allow for any form of commericial activities in abuja. Please verify this with an older nigeria before you make silly comment.

REALLY? Abeg If you don't mind, show me a copy of this law. thks
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by becomrich4: 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2010
They are only using this Jonathan move ministry to Lagos as a way to decieve Yoruba people.

If IBB life what threatened, so what. He can move to abuja, he does not have to move everything and break the law of Nigeria.  Look that is not an excuse, President Shagari was arrest at Abuja before IBB. So IBB has no excuse.

Is there federal character in your constitution. Abuja look at the names of the directors of Abuja.   You have 8 people. Do you see a Yoruba man on this list.  There is no single Yorubaman as a director of the ABuja. And you talk of one nigeria.

out of 12 directors appointed to the FCT. NO single Yorubaman.

Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by saintneo(m): 7:37pm On Oct 31, 2010
ministry of defence to enugu tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by MaiSuya(m): 7:57pm On Oct 31, 2010
@Becomerich, I ask you question you never answer me! angry angry angry Or you answers questions made by northerners too?
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2010
WHY DO PEOPLE PEDDLE FALSE STORIES?

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/10/31/report-of-planned-relocation-of-key-ministries-to-lagos-silly-presidency/

The president has debunked this story which is clearly false.

Most of you are not in nigeria, you lap up this stories with glee, i wonder what you guys want?  for nigeria to burn? for pete's sake!!!! chill!!!! haba!!!
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by chyz1: 8:09pm On Oct 31, 2010
Abagworo:

The exact same thing I was thinking.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by chyz1: 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
Just out of curiosity. Can anybody tell me how moving to another region will make a difference in the Ministry or does that mean the state it is moved to will get more money or something? I'm lost.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by AkinEgba: 8:37pm On Oct 31, 2010
If the reason is decongestion, why is he moving them back to Lagos that is already congested? Why not move the ministry of petroleum to Port Harcourt?
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by chyz1: 8:42pm On Oct 31, 2010
Akin-Egba:

If the reason is decongestion, why is he moving them back to Lagos that is already congested? Why not move the ministry of petroleum to Port Harcourt?

GBAM!!!

Thank you, makes no sense. If the write up is true, i suggest he wait till after the election.
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by jason12345: 8:43pm On Oct 31, 2010
chyz1:

GBAM!!!

Thank you, makes no sense. If the write up is true, i suggest he wait till after the election.
Akin-Egba:

WHY NOT IBADAN OR OGUN STATE. grin grin grin grin grin grin JK
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by AkinEgba: 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
jason12345:

WHY NOT IBADAN OR OGUN STATE. grin grin grin grin grin grin JK
Why should anyone move the ministry of petroleum to Ogun or Oyo state when PH or Warri is there?
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by jason12345: 8:50pm On Oct 31, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Why should anyone move the ministry of petroleum to Ogun or Oyo state when PH or Warri is there?

oh boy, it was just a joke grin grin

i think warri would do just fine grin grin
Re: Jonathan To Relocate Some Ministries To Lagos by ITbomb(m): 8:59pm On Oct 31, 2010
When it was said that IBB call some pressmen to minna, I knew write ups like this will come up

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ex- Gov Saraki Still Lives In Govt House / Same-Sex Rights Activists Want Nigerian Homophobic Bill Dropped / How Did You Vote In The Presidential Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.