Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

‘South West To Back Ibb’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘South West To Back Ibb’ (1389 Views)

That Peace May Reign In Nigeria,south East And South West To Sink Differences / Going To The West To Beg As Victims Can't Solve Our Problems - Okonji-Iweala / David-west To Okonjo-iweala: Buhari Doesn’t Need Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘South West To Back Ibb’ by AkinEgba: 5:13am On Nov 06, 2010
http://www.thisdayonline.com/
‘S’West to Back IBB’
By Sunday Okobi, 11.04.2010

Lagos

The Yoruba in the South-West zone have been called upon to support the presidential aspiration of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida as a means of realizing their core political values.

The call came from the Secretary of the Awori Youth Vanguard of Nigeria, Dr. Yinka Badmus, who in a statement also advised the people in the region to play “politics of realism” ahead of the 2011 elections.

Badmus, who reviewed the major issues in the relationship of the former military president with the Yoruba nation and the implication for the outcome of the 2011 presidential election, said the time has come for a careful understanding of the emerging political order and take a purposeful stand that will better serve their interest.

He noted that while they may have misgivings over the annulment of the June 12 election, they should also be realistic in taking decision about their political future to avoid any regret.

“In view of the on-going complex political scenario, we in the South-West must be careful in the choices we make in relation to our political values and our political future. The Yoruba nation must be tactical by not allowing any regrettable event of the past to becloud our judgement. We must be sensitive to realism not to repeat such strategic errors of the past and I believe the Yoruba will eventually support IBB”, he declared.

Badmus said  Babangida has a high political advantage in picking the presidential ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party and should be supported to realize what he described as “our sacred held political beliefs and core values”. These he listed as fiscal federalism, devolution of power, creation of state police and the need to run a lean federal government for effective performance.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by AkinEgba: 5:14am On Nov 06, 2010
Can we? Yes we can shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 5:32am On Nov 06, 2010
ANY ONE OR GROUP HAS THE RIGHT TO SPEAK!!!

AS FOR ME, I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT IBB!!!PERIOD!!!

What are they saying angry are we now going to only develop this country through tribalism angry

the yorubas should never support ibb, even if we might suffer for it!!! atleast, we would stand for the truth!!! angry angry angry
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 5:37am On Nov 06, 2010
yorubas must not vote for ibb angry angry angry angry
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 06, 2010
jason12345:

ANY ONE OR GROUP HAS THE RIGHT TO SPEAK!!!

AS FOR ME, I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT IBB!!!PERIOD!!!

What are they saying angry are we now going to only develop this country through tribalism angry

the yorubas should never support ibb, even if we might suffer for it!!! atleast, we would stand for the truth!!! angry angry angry

jason12345:

yorubas must not vote for ibb angry angry angry angry

Very contradictory tongue

And I forgot to tell you, you need to learn to ignore some inciting topics. . . .it's not worth it.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by DapoBear(m): 7:47am On Nov 06, 2010
What a terribly misleading title. This Sunday Okobi guy needs to step his game up, he is right now an example of how NOT to practice journalism.

In any case, the South West will back IBB, on the 15th of No Never.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by denitro(m): 9:00am On Nov 06, 2010
Senseless Thread
Retarded Thread
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Olami099(m): 9:18am On Nov 06, 2010
@poster,Never!Why will s.West vote 4 ibb what impact has he made in s.west?When they have their own presidential aspirants even d northerners are nt ready to vote 4 him they would rather vote 4 Atiku.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by okosodo: 10:59am On Nov 06, 2010
This thread should be closed now
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Abagworo(m): 11:03am On Nov 06, 2010
I get pissed when I see titles like this one.It is not possible for a whole ethnic group to support one candidate.We have individual differences and so will our votes differ.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Nov 06, 2010
If yorubas vote for IBB then that would be the most cowardly act ever. The same IBB that they despise so much.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by MaiSuya(m): 11:32am On Nov 06, 2010
The Yoruba in the South-West zone have been called upon to support the presidential aspiration of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida as a means of realizing their core political values.

The call came from the Secretary of the Awori Youth Vanguard of Nigeria, Dr. Yinka Badmus, who in a statement also advised the people in the region to play “politics of realism” ahead of the 2011 elections.

somehow that group which, incidentally I've never heard of before can claim to be representing an entire region of prolly close to 50 million people is really funny. It perhaps would have had more credibltiy if it was Afenifere or somehing.

The misleading title didn't help matters, anyway.

Hope you all see how preposterous it sounds when an individual (Ciroma) can claim to be speaking for the entire northern region?
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Afam4eva(m): 11:35am On Nov 06, 2010
Isn't Awori just a part of yorubaland? It's pathetic how a group of pathetic blood sucking creatures can think they are representing the yoruba race.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

I laugh in Abriba! You never quit, do you?
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 2:37pm On Nov 06, 2010
Akin-Egba:

grin grin grin grin grin. you are a joke grin grin grin
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2010
Yorubas to vote for ibb? What an insult and impossibility! Yinka badmus is just one those nigerians trying to scam ibb for a dream that is TOTALLY UNREALISABLE! This ibb guy with his past misdeeds no deserve our attention at all at all, though we all have freedom to aspire and express ourselves but its a DISERVICE TO THIS FOR ANY RIGHT THINKING NIGERIAN TO SUPPORT IBB.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
'ITS A DISERVICE TO THIS NATION FOR ANY RIGHT THINKING NIGERIAN TO SUPPORT IBB'
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 2:59pm On Nov 06, 2010
Timehin:

'ITS A DISERVICE TO THIS NATION FOR ANY RIGHT THINKING NIGERIAN TO SUPPORT IBB'

i support your views

how can a random yoruba group say the yoruba would support ibb. GOD FORBID
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Gbawe: 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Very contradictory  tongue

And I forgot to tell you, you need to learn to ignore some inciting topics. . . .it's not worth it.

Indeed. Totally ridiculous and logic-defying insinuations sensible folks should ignore. Certainly certain groups within all ethnic groups of Nigeria will proclaim their backing for even Satan. That cannot be deemed , by any sensible person ,  to be the position of an entire ethnic group. Whether people will admit so or not , the Yoruba region remains one of the most ideologically staunch and  politically progressive in Nigeria. That IBB has not been able to show his face anywhere in the region to campaign for votes speaks volumes about the vehement opposition to his ambition in Yoruba land .

As it is , the Yoruba region is making a serious effort to combat inadequate leadership by purging itself of the usurpers of OBJ and the PDP . I would advise other regions to do the same and face their own issues of misrule .  We have nothing to gain by endorsing IBB . Every[b] genuine[/b] Yoruba man, wanting progress for the region,  will know this.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Solomon227(m): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2010
He isnt even d Northern front-runner. D guy is already a failure, abeg make we talk about something else
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2010
Gbawe:

Indeed. Totally ridiculous and logic-defying insinuations sensible folks should ignore. Certainly certain groups within all ethnic groups of Nigeria will proclaim their backing for even Satan. That cannot be deemed , by any sensible person ,  to be the position of an entire ethnic group. Whether people will admit so or not , the Yoruba region remains one of the most ideologically staunch and  politically progressive in Nigeria. That IBB has not been able to show his face anywhere in the region to campaign for votes speaks volumes about the vehement opposition to his ambition in Yoruba land .

As it is , the Yoruba region is making a serious effort to combat inadequate leadership by purging itself of the usurpers of OBJ and the PDP . I would advise other regions to do the same and face their own issues of misrule .  We have nothing to gain by endorsing IBB . Every[b] genuine[/b] Yoruba man, wanting progress for the region,  will know this.

We have to progress and fast!!! grin. with or without nigeria grin grin grin

Solomon227:

He isnt even d Northern front-runner. D guy is already a failure, abeg make we talk about something else
GBAMMM!!!!!!!!!
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by rhymz(m): 3:26pm On Nov 06, 2010
I also do not want IBB anywhere close to leadership, however, I still think the political elite of the SW region are more interested in a vendatta against IBB than oppose him on the basis of democratic values. And that is where a lot of Nigerians differ with the SWesterners, to them, it is pay back time not neccessarily on the basis of democracy but they want to avenge Abiola and June 12, which to me is not my problem at this stage. . . anyway, IBB is just wasting time and money, no right thinking Nigerian will vote for the rogue knowing his antecedent past. .
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Gbawe: 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2010
rhymz:

I also do not want IBB anywhere close to leadership, however, I still think the political elite of the SW region are more interested in a vendatta against IBB than oppose him on the basis of democratic values. And that is where a lot of Nigerians differ with the SWesterners, to them, it is pay back time not neccessarily on the basis of democracy but they want to avenge Abiola and June 12, which to me is not my problem at this stage. . . anyway, IBB is just wasting time and money, no right thinking Nigerian will vote for the rogue knowing his antecedent past. .

Even if true , is this not something most individuals can empathise with? Is man a machine ? Can man not be forgiven for having strong sentiments when seriously aggrieved ? If the Yorubas despise IBB for his injurious actions that hurt the region then that is perfectly understandable . Accusing the Yorubas of not being able to place democracy above everything else is not fair because it makes sense for sentiments of percieved injustice to forms part of the opinion that leads them to outrightly reject IBB . IBB should be criticised for his insensitivity too . It is his right to contest but he should not be doing so.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by koruji(m): 4:25pm On Nov 06, 2010
@rhymz
You are being self-contradictory here, to say the least. On the one hand you are saying that the SW is opposed to IBB because of June 12 & Abiola, then you say it is not based on democratic values. IBB demonstrated his total lack of democratic values by his actions over June 12 - it is not about Abiola per se, it was about his truncation of democracy.

rhymz:

Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
Gbawe:

Thank You for the sensible write-up.

Akin-Egba will have to try harder to paint Yoruba man black lol wink
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Afam4eva(m): 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Thank You for the sensible write-up.

Akin-Egba will have to try harder to paint Yoruba man black lol wink

Why would a yoruba man want to paint yoruba black.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 06, 2010
afam4eva:

He's not Yoruba, he's Igbo wink

Back on topic
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by jason12345: 4:58pm On Nov 06, 2010
afam4eva:

[size=20pt]HE IS NOT YORUBA!!!!!!!!!! MY IGBO SISTER EVEN PROVED THIS TO ME. HE KNOWS HE IS NOT YORUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS IGBO[/size]
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by AkinEgba: 5:25pm On Nov 06, 2010
Just for the cynics:
Akin Egba is bonafidely Yoruba and not = to Sunday Okobo, the journalist who penned the news. Let's stop going round in circles. It has never paid off and it is not about to do so now.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by rhymz(m): 5:58pm On Nov 06, 2010
Koruji and Gbawe
I totally respect your views but I think we should not mistake vendetta for fighting for the principles of Democracy. I am not denying the Swesterners their right to form an opposition against IBB for whatever reason, my arguement is that going abt it like it just abt what he did to Abiola and the resultant death is what I do not agree with. I find out that most of the time I argue with my SW friends over this same issue, their reason for their opposition is usually Abiola. I mean, fine he cancelled the election but let's not forget IBB was forced by the very dangerous dog eat dog politics of that time plus Mr Abiola's romance with them khaki boys and very divisive comments which created bad blood in other regions- all these gave IBB reasons to just bulge to pressure and annul the elections. I am against IBB because the man lacks principles and has shown over and over again through his desperation that he has nothing new to offer Nigeria, simple!
jason12345:

[size=20pt]HE IS NOT YORUBA!!!!!!!!!! MY IGBO SISTER EVEN PROVED THIS TO ME. HE KNOWS HE IS NOT YORUBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE IS IGBO[/size]
. . .your Igbo sister is just as Igbo as Akin-Egba is yoruba. . .
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by DapoBear(m): 6:01pm On Nov 06, 2010
Forget about Abiola temporarily. Even if that had not happened, why would anyone with sense in their heads vote for another former military dictator? In this day and age, when it is nearly 2011? What will a military despot have to offer anyone in this age of democracy? Voting for any Babangidas or Buharis, are they TRULY the best and brightest options Nigeria has? People tainted by tyranny?

They are just names from an era that is hopefully dead and gone.
Re: ‘South West To Back Ibb’ by excanny: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2010
Yorubas that will vote for IBB will do so and there's nothing anyone is going to do about it. So what's the fuss? You only need to speak for yourself. This is a democracy- not 'crowdocracy'. In the SE, we dont give a dawn.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Monthly Pay: Senators Earn N15.18m Each, Reps N10.59m – Investigation Reveals / Panic Grips Nigerian - Maritime administrators / Kotangora Shutdown For Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.