Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids (30691 Views)

Should People Have A Backup Plan For Relationships? / Long Distance Marriage: How Do You Cope Married Couples In Similiar Situation / What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 4:22pm On Oct 10, 2019
historica:
The latest trend is some men wait till their women gets pregnant before they start talking of marriage.

Very bad trend...making it awkward for the woman

In my place you can't marry a pregnant woman...you have to wait until she gives birth to the baby... it can get quite embarrassing if your parents are church officials
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Jennyspecial: 4:26pm On Oct 10, 2019
It's a personal decision, I don't think there's any appointed time for it

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Handsome13(m): 4:26pm On Oct 10, 2019
Follow ur mind

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 4:26pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

Very bad trend...making it awkward for the woman

In my place you can't marry a pregnant woman...you have to wait until she gives birth to the baby... it can get quite embarrassing if your parents are church officials

Good thing you said in your place, everywhere is not the same.

If the woman is not complaining, other people including yourself should not complain for her.

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

Good thing you said in your place, everywhere is not the same.

Lol are you following me? Yeah it's good if it's not going to cause problems
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Jennyspecial: 4:29pm On Oct 10, 2019
;very true
jenifer007:
My brother taking in should not be delayed all because you want to enjoy yourselves as couple..The joy of marriage especially in Africa is having children.It is better you start trying immediately after marriage because you will be surprised by the time you are ready,conception might also tell you they are not ready too.

Body differs

Delay is dangerous

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 4:30pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

Lol are you following me? Yeah it's good if it's not going to cause problems

No, I'm not following you.

I should ask if YOU are following ME.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by spiritedtete: 4:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
Waiting ..in marriage depends on the plans agreed by both parties... because you will really need to settle and rekindle the real meaning of liviing together as husband and wife... while you also map a Future and save towards it...

I personally waited 1 year before i start shooting... and no regrets on that. More also, dont rush, and try spacing too as it will allow the first baby(ies) to enjoy their parents.

Absolutely no need to rush if you get married in your late 20s and early thirties.

Note this... once the children start coming... your love life will never remain the same again. Because this time you will need to all share it... it won't be that easy. You might even grow apart while still married and be having kids...

Wife might suffered hormonal imbalance, which will affect attitude and life style...

Husband will seek side chick to be calming nerves...

Alot of things... however it takes a matured mind to understand this and encourage each other as they grow.

3 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by seanjy4konji: 4:35pm On Oct 10, 2019
6 years and three months...

Pastor told me that.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by LewsTherin: 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
THUNDER4real:
Funny question with joking answers.

Let's analyze:

If you say you will wait for 3 months to 1 year, does it mean no sex or your wife will be on family planning?

We humans are not God, if your wife is not on family planning( which is not 100% certified excluding Abstinence), you will wake up one day with pregnancy

Furthermore, I still see no reason, a newly wedded couple will start their lives with Family planning programs.?

There are some family planning programs that has adverse effect that can be detrimental to the woman.

God giveth and God taketh, Don't act too wise, so you won't be a candidate of looking for fruit of the womb.

Not trying to start an argument here but this is your opinion. And as James Blunt once said, opinions are like a*seholes. Every body has one.

Here's mine.

First, family planning is the act of planning the number of and the spacing between said children. There are many methods of family planning. The easiest and most convinient are called condoms.

Yes, many families start with a plan for the number of and spacing between the children. A family that want to have children immediately and want to have 4 on the bounce, that's their family plan. It is family planning.

Except you have problems with condoms, that's a viable method of family planning. And not everyone has problems with them. So those that don't can use that method.

God gives and takes away according to Job. But God gives us the free will to make a choice. And as long as that choice is not in opposition to Him or His plans, we are good to go. And even if they are not, Moses proved we can get Him to change His mind.

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Juliearth(f): 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
It all boils down to how ready( psychologically, mentally, financially...)the couples are to become parents. Just like marriage, birthing children shouldn't be rushed into.

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Chill2: 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
Forget societal pressure nonsense, have a kid only when you can afford to raise one. No one will take up your responsibilities because you are following African norms. I have been married for more than a year, we not not ready for a baby yet. No one has the right to pressure you into raising kids. Let's stop all this African mindset that has taking us backwards.

4 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2019
spiritedtete:

I personally waited 1 year before i start shooting..

shooting what or who?
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by spiritedtete: 4:39pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

shooting what or who?

Targeting for children... come on now... lol

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Ugosample(m): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
LewsTherin:
I will always advice to wait at least a year before tryimg for kids. Not so as to "sexually enjoy each other " but so as to get to know each other. No family, no extras, no one but you both. Then you know who the other person really is.

We waited 3 years before one pastor prayed one kind prayer like that wey no be im business.

I miss those early days.

We could just get up and go on a night out. Go to the movies. Dinner. Go to a concert. Take a weekend off just like that. We could go visit friends whenever we wanted and if the traffic got too bad, we go to a hotel somewhere for the night.

And yes the sex. Palour, kitchen, bathroom, any room.

I miss those days. Now everything is "where are the kids?" "Where do we keep the kids?" "The kids can't go there" "We have to hurry to pick up the kids" and of course "not so loud. You'll wake the kids up!!!"

I miss those early days.

this is how it should be

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:
No, I'm not following you.

I should ask if YOU are following ME.

I tend to comment on posts without really noticing the moniker...forgive me , I can't remember quoting you
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by ukeleh: 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2019
donstan18:
I don't know for women, but I strongly believe that children are one of the major reasons why most men settle down.

Reason the day a man becomes a father is more memorable than his wedding day.

So I think it's proper not to wait for anything before making babies, especially these days where 70% of slay queens are womb-less. Start immediately to help you know if you married a fertile woman or not.

In fact, any lady that fails to take in at most, 2 months after wedding should be questioned or sent packing.
What if it is the man That is not fertile or you think infertility is found only in women.

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by mechanics(m): 4:43pm On Oct 10, 2019
Immediately after the wedding, the job starts, because time wait for no man.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 4:43pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

I tend to comment on posts without really noticing the moniker...forgive me , I can't remember quoting you

@ bolded

I believe I mentioned that about myself on another thread which you probably saw and are now quoting verbatim.

With time, you'll reveal more of yourself no doubt.

Quite sure this is a new moniker for you, your old ones must be somewhere.

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by sunkoye: 4:45pm On Oct 10, 2019
I know a couple that waited for 5 years for pleasure and career....but ended up trying to get pregnant for another ten years. ... delay is risky Biko

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 4:46pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

@ bolded

I believe I mentioned that about myself on another thread which you probably saw and are now quoting verbatim.

Not at all! That's a genuine answer to your post. I tried searching for our monikers together, but it came up with nothing..so I had to confess that I couldn't remember where we'd spoken... or rather where I'd followed you
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Chill2: 4:46pm On Oct 10, 2019
Not everyone get married because of this sole reason. It shouldn't be a criteria to send her packing. Some persons get married because they see a partner in the person. Babies are product of a union and shouldn't be the only reason for the union.
donstan18:
I don't know for women, but I strongly believe that children are one of the major reasons why most men settle down.

Reason the day a man becomes a father is more memorable than his wedding day.

So I think it's proper not to wait for anything before making babies, especially these days where 70% of slay queens are womb-less. Start immediately to help you know if you married a fertile woman or not.

In fact, any lady that fails to take in at most, 2 months after wedding should be questioned or sent packing.

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by mzhorlah(f): 4:49pm On Oct 10, 2019
AkupeMBANO:

from their monikers you shall know them.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Ugosample(m): 4:50pm On Oct 10, 2019
Chill2:
Forget societal pressure nonsense, have a kid only when you can afford to raise one. No one will take up your responsibilities because you are following African norms. I have been married for more than a year, we not not ready for a baby yet. No one has the right to pressure you into raising kids. Let's stop all this African mindset that has taking us backwards.

That's just the truth

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 4:57pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

If the woman is not complaining, other people including yourself should not complain for her.

You and I both know that placing a fertility clause on an engagement can make it awkward for women and get the lady in trouble with her family and wider society...

How is that complaining for her...
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by joepepsy(m): 5:01pm On Oct 10, 2019
Are you out of your mind? A public forum you seek for advice on intimate issue like this?
Tela101:

Why so rude?
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by LewsTherin: 5:03pm On Oct 10, 2019
Chill2:

I tire.

A fellow I know was berating me for wanting to have only 2 children. He said the African way is to have at least 4. He has 3 and is going to try for one more. Homeboy is seriously struggling in business. Hasn't been able to pay his rent for 4 years. Could barely pay for his Wife's last delivery.

This is basically what I told him.

How many of us in Africa have farms? The "traditional African" thing was when we had large farms and needed as many hands as possible to man these farms. Or herds. Even the white man did the same thing. But once the industrial revolution came and they left the farms for industrialised towns and cities, the need for many children was dumped for as few as possible making it easier to care for them.

While we "Africans" have left our farms for industrialised cities and towns, we are still trying to maintain the need to have many children in the name of tradition. For what? What benefit? When many people can barely take care of one.

4 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2019
U be God wey dey decide ni?

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

With time, you'll reveal more of yourself no doubt.

Quite sure this is a new moniker for you, your old ones must be somewhere.

I should say the same to you.

It seems I should watch you more closely so that I'll know when I'm apparently stealing words straight from your fingertips...since you think I couldn't possibly be coming up with my replies by myself
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2019
joepepsy:
Are you out of your mind? A public forum you seek for advice on intimate issue like this?

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2019
joepepsy:

It is a faceless forum.

And people ask questions more intimate than this on this forum.

No, I am not out of my mind.

If you don't have anything to say don't comment.

Please don't quote me again.

2 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 5:14pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

I should say the same to you.

It seems I should watch you more closely so that I'll know when I'm apparently stealing words straight from your fingertips...since you think I couldn't possibly be thinking of my replies myself

Going by your post history today, and probably other days, can you blame anyone for watching you more closely?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

You Won't Have Problem With Your Mother In Law If You Follow These Steps / I'm 22 Years Old And A Burden On My Family, I'm Thinking Of Leaving Home. / Mothers Please Advice A Frustrated Married Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.