Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,537 members, 7,837,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids (30692 Views)

Should People Have A Backup Plan For Relationships? / Long Distance Marriage: How Do You Cope Married Couples In Similiar Situation / What Happens After Marriage? How Would You Advise The Unmarried? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 5:21pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:

Going by your post history today, and probably other days, can you blame anyone for watching you more closely?

I can't see anything remarkable about my posts today, or any other day. In fact my posts are quite mundane most of the time

Is it the Bedouin proverb that bothered you this much?
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Iamsane: 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

So I was even being minimalist with the 150k budget...imagine.
School fees alone is worth a whole lot. So school fees for Nursery school isn't a joke. And two children.

Let's do some maths too:
#50 per diaper
3-5 diapers, let's take an average of 4 diapers a day.
That is #200 daily.
#1,400 a week.
#5,500 a month roughly,
#65 k a year...on diapers alone. My God!
Imagine you were bountifully blessed with twins, multiply that figure.

If you can't take care of a child, learn to wait till you have the capacity .

Many people commenting are NOT married. Marriage isn't a bed of roses.

So for pooing, you'll spend roughly more than #65k in a year. School fees isn't there ooo...every term, you'll buy stationeries o.
You'll buy socks, sandals/shoes, lunch boxes, bags, you'll take your child to the beach or eatery.

Let me not even start analysing those ones sef.

How much do you spend on ogogoro and alcoholic drinks yearly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Lekan1o1: 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2019
mzhorlah:
It depends on the individuals involved. As for me, I will enjoy my husband well before inviting any third party(babies)

Pls come and enjoy me
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

I can't see anything remarkable about my posts today, or any other day. In fact my posts are quite mundane most of the time

Is it the Bedouin proverb that bothered you this much?

Let's revisit what you said was an Arabian and then a Bedouin proverb:

midnighter:

Hmm see how everybody has changed their tune because its a Ghanaian talking...

Nairaland men from certain tribes or regions against Nigerian women, specific nairaland Nigerian men and women against Ghanaians and other Nigerians and Ghanaians against the world...
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by KIDfurniture(m): 5:37pm On Oct 10, 2019
Wait till your partner and ur self is ready financially..that's the koko..some idiots would say baby will bring her own food , monies , Pampers from heaven. Awon sick people.

4 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 5:38pm On Oct 10, 2019
KIDfurniture:
Wait till your partner and ur self is ready financially..that's the koko..some idiots would say baby will bring her own food , monies , Pampers from heaven. Awon sick people.

Why so angry? Did someone ask for your assistance?
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
nairalandposter:
Let's revisit what you said was an Arabian and then a Bedoiun proverb:

What do you want to revisit about it??

A Bedouin is a type of Arab who lives a nomadic lifestyle in the desert, similar to Fulanis. So it's an Arabian, more specifically Bedouin, proverb.

Secondly I didn't say that that was the proverb, I said it was a reference to the proverb. Why are you quoting my comment without quoting the proverb that I provided you with....

And why are you quoting what you edited instead of what I actually said? So you just felt like quoting yourself...?

I used that proverb because I have noticed a lot of men rubbishing the sex-for-grades claims over the past few days but most were still defensive towards the Ghanaian lecturer
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by KingWarri: 5:50pm On Oct 10, 2019
donstan18:
I don't know for women, but I strongly believe that children are one of the major reasons why most men settle down.

Reason the day a man becomes a father is more memorable than his wedding day.

So I think it's proper not to wait for anything before making babies, especially these days where 70% of slay queens are womb-less. Start immediately to help you know if you married a fertile woman or not.

In fact, any lady that fails to take in at most, 2 months after wedding should be questioned or sent packing.

As if women are the only ones with fertility issues... What if the man is potent

THINK ABOUT IT

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by THUNDER4real(m): 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2019
LewsTherin:

Not trying to start an argument here but this is your opinion. And as James Blunt once said, opinions are like a*seholes. Every body has one.

Here's mine.

First, family planning is the act of planning the number of and the spacing between said children. There are many methods of family planning. The easiest and most convinient are called condoms.

Yes, many families start with a plan for the number of and spacing between the children. A family that want to have children immediately and want to have 4 on the bounce, that's their family plan. It is family planning.

Except you have problems with condoms, that's a viable method of family planning. And not everyone has problems with them. So those that don't can use that method.

God gives and takes away according to Job. But God gives us the free will to make a choice. And as long as that choice is not in opposition to Him or His plans, we are good to go. And even if they are not, Moses proved we can get Him to change His mind.
Maybe you didn't assimilate what I wrote.
The condom you mentioned is not 100% effective. Remember what worked for Mr A may not work for Mr B.

try and read, before you start showing yourself
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Yaba4sure: 6:07pm On Oct 10, 2019
safarigirl:
It is better to wait a year, if you have the time.

Kids will create a gulf between a couple unconsciously and the enjoyment will be over too quickly. Unless you can barely stand each other, and kids are the only things bringing you together, it is advisable to wait a year and get your bearings first, before inviting a third party
am a victim to this ur write up

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by safarigirl(f): 6:10pm On Oct 10, 2019
Yaba4sure:
am a victim to this ur write up
so sorry about that.

I wish you God's grace to pull through, the beginning is usually the toughest peeiod3 of married life, if you can survive that, there is more to look ahead to.

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Raalsalghul: 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:
Many people who are commenting aren't being objective.

Ask any married person and they will tell you that adjusting to married life takes some effort. Marriage isn't something that happened in a day. You have to gradually adjust to the quirks and peculiarities of your spouse.

Before having babies, you both should be in tango emotionally. Having a baby tends to share the affection from two into three.

Also, finances MUST be considered. You must understand the financial implications of having a child. If you don't have a child yet, you and your spouse can still "manage" yourselves . You can't "manage" a baby/parenthood.

What if your wife has to undergo Cesarian operation? That's about #150k for childbirth alone. We've not discussed ante-natal, baby clothes (which must be changed maybe every month or two), baby food, baby diaper, school fees when the time comes, and the overall responsibility of training a child properly.

Don't go into something you're not prepared for.
A friend decided with her husband to wait for three years...yes, three years before she got pregnant and they have a beautiful baby now. TheyreT doing very fine.

If you're not thoroughly prepared, enjoy your spouse for now.

Modified: I just heard toys are very expensive too.

Think and plan well before plunging into the decision to give birth early .You see people who are pressuring you - mothers, friends, general talkatives - they won't be around when you're thinking of how to pay school fees.

Now imagine if you give birth to TWINS! Those things I wrote, multiply them conveniently by TWO. You'll understand that responsibility isn't for children.

TRIPLETS nko? I cannot even begin to can .God works in wonderful ways!
The wisest post on this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Raalsalghul: 6:21pm On Oct 10, 2019
LewsTherin:

Thank you very much. By the way, that 150k is too small in many places. 300k even in a government general hospital. Let's not forget the school fees when they start coming. My kid was to start nursery school. When they showed me the bill, my whole day just spoilt. And only 2 children at that oh.

Why rush? Take time and prepare. Life is bloody expensive with children. Only poo poo is N50 each for diapers! 3 to 5 poo poos a day. Do the maths.

Na wa oh.

Una dey try.

Make I enjoy my single life dey go.

3 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Raalsalghul: 6:22pm On Oct 10, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

So I was even being minimalist with the 150k budget...imagine.
School fees alone is worth a whole lot. So school fees for Nursery school isn't a joke. And two children.

Let's do some maths too:
#50 per diaper
3-5 diapers, let's take an average of 4 diapers a day.
That is #200 daily.
#1,400 a week.
#5,500 a month roughly,
#65 k a year...on diapers alone. My God!
Imagine you were bountifully blessed with twins, multiply that figure.

If you can't take care of a child, learn to wait till you have the capacity .

Many people commenting are NOT married. Marriage isn't a bed of roses.

So for pooing, you'll spend roughly more than #65k in a year. School fees isn't there ooo...every term, you'll buy stationeries o.
You'll buy socks, sandals/shoes, lunch boxes, bags, you'll take your child to the beach or eatery.

Let me not even start analysing those ones sef.
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 10, 2019
Iamsane:

How much do you spend on ogogoro and alcoholic drinks yearly.

I wanted to reply you but a look at your moniker and I won't. If you don't have anything to contribute, please do something else and don't troll or derail this thread.

Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 10, 2019
Raalsalghul:

The wisest post on this thread.

Thank you for your compliment. It's not the wisest tho, I just gleaned the wisdom of wise people who have contributed and complied it.
RThank, once again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Icecream4U(m): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Raalsalghul: 6:37pm On Oct 10, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:

Thank you for your compliment. It's not the wisest tho, I just gleaned the wisdom of wise people who have contributed and complied it.
RThank, once again.
Stop being modest.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2019
spiritedtete:
Waiting ..in marriage depends on the plans agreed by both parties... because you will really need to settle and rekindle the real meaning of liviing together has husband and wife... while you also map a Future and save towards it...

I personally waited 1 year before i start shooting... and no regrets on that. More also, dont rush, and try spacing to as it will allow the first baby(ies) to enjoy their parents.

Absolutely no need to rush if you get married in your late 20s and early thirties.

Note this... once the children start coming... your love life will never remain the same again. Because this time you will need to all share it... it won't be that easy. You might even grow apart while still married and be having kinds...

Wife might suffered hormonal imbalance, which will affect attitude and life style...

Husband will seek side chick to be calming nerves...

Alot of things... however it takes a matured mind to understand this and encourage each other as they grow.

Thanks for your advice sir.
It's obvious you're mature.
Some people are just being childish on this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 10, 2019
LewsTherin:
I will always advice to wait at least a year before tryimg for kids. Not so as to "sexually enjoy each other " but so as to get to know each other. No family, no extras, no one but you both. Then you know who the other person really is.

We waited 3 years before one pastor prayed one kind prayer like that wey no be im business.

I miss those early days.

We could just get up and go on a night out. Go to the movies. Dinner. Go to a concert. Take a weekend off just like that. We could go visit friends whenever we wanted and if the traffic got too bad, we go to a hotel somewhere for the night.

And yes the sex. Palour, kitchen, bathroom, any room.

I miss those days. Now everything is "where are the kids?" "Where do we keep the kids?" "The kids can't go there" "We have to hurry to pick up the kids" and of course "not so loud. You'll wake the kids up!!!"

I miss those early days.

Oh, thank you!
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2019
Raalsalghul:

Stop being modest.

Haha.
I'm not o.
I'm not even married.
As I said, I gleaned from the wisdom of married and more mature folks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by TruthProphet: 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2019
jenifer007:

You should have discussed all these you said with your spouse before getting married. You don't need to rush and spend so much for your wedding.Wedding is for few hours...Your guests will eat and go leaving you and your wife on your own....Bro planning a marriage is not a child's play....Be prepared and once you are prepared finanacially ,bringing the number of children you can cater for into the world won't be hard.

Thats my point exactly...preparation and planning to have a child not just having kids because everyone is doing it or because its the normal thing to be done after the wedding.

@bolded.....it is not compulsory to “bring the number of kids you can cater for” but the number of kids you actually want. You could be very rich but chose to have only two kids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by midnighter(f): 6:47pm On Oct 10, 2019
LewsTherin:
I will always advice to wait at least a year before tryimg for kids. Not so as to "sexually enjoy each other " but so as to get to know each other. No family, no extras, no one but you both. Then you know who the other person really is.

We waited 3 years before one pastor prayed one kind prayer like that wey no be im business.

I miss those early days.

We could just get up and go on a night out. Go to the movies. Dinner. Go to a concert. Take a weekend off just like that. We could go visit friends whenever we wanted and if the traffic got too bad, we go to a hotel somewhere for the night.

And yes the sex. Palour, kitchen, bathroom, any room.

I miss those days. Now everything is "where are the kids?" "Where do we keep the kids?" "The kids can't go there" "We have to hurry to pick up the kids" and of course "not so loud. You'll wake the kids up!!!"

I miss those early days.

This is a lovely post....why don't you make your life into a romance novel or a movie...
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Asu015(m): 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2019
donstan18:
I don't know for women, but I strongly believe that children are one of the major reasons why most men settle down.

So I think it's proper not to wait for anything before making babies, especially these days where 70% of slay queens are womb-less. Start immediately to help you know if you married a fertile woman or not.

In fact, any lady that fails to take in at most, 2 months after wedding should be questioned or sent packing.
Can i divorce my non fertile wife and marry another??
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Gucciboy1(m): 7:11pm On Oct 10, 2019
na to start work immediately o
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by toluwa1(f): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2019
Richdad50:
shocked

Advantage
It is always good to stay for a year with your bride before getting her pregnant. This gives you the opportunity to properly enjoy each other sexually and interactively. You will have enough time to extend the fun of courtship into marriage before the stress and distraction that comes with children.

Disadvantage
The contraceptives taken to avoid pregnancy takes a while to wear off. This can invariably cause you stress when you are ready to take in. So be prepared.

Richdad

U right
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by Dreew(f): 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
donstan18:

Sometimes you talk like you're from a broken home.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by greatbrian(m): 7:39pm On Oct 10, 2019
Sometimes I ask myself if there is more to an African live than waking up, going to work, paying bills, making babies and paying more bills.

3 Likes

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by greatbrian(m): 7:41pm On Oct 10, 2019
philip0906:
1. Your bank account
2. Agreement between you and your wife
3. Please don't bring any child into this world when you don't have enough to cater for him/her
4. As I dey hustle wey to marry no even dey agenda, if you bring pikin enter this world wey you no fit train am, he turn nuissance come climb my fence say he wan thief, i go shoot am down

You nailed it bro. Why the rush by the way is what I do think of.
Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by ImaIma1(f): 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2019
Adjusting to being married and dealing with morning sickness , pregnancy stress and subsequently having a baby is a lot to happen at once. There's nothing wrong with waiting for like 6months to 1yr. That's what I did anyway

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by dapsycool(m): 8:08pm On Oct 10, 2019
greatbrian:
Sometimes I ask myself if there is more to an African live than waking up, going to work, paying bills, making babies and paying more bills.

You have said it all. That is why majority of Nigerians are poor. If you don't have enough money, you have no right to have more than one child.

Those kids hawking bread have parents. Some idiots will be owing rent, broke as hell and will still be populating the earth. People from the poorest countries are those popping out kids like rats.

Having kids is not an achievement if you can't take care of them. When you have more than you can afford, you will live all your life struggling to take care of them and you will forget to live.

Use your head!!! Getting married doesn't mean you should even have kids.

1 Like

Re: After Marriage, How Long Should People Wait To Have Kids by nlPoster: 8:17pm On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:

What do you want to revisit about it??

A Bedouin is a type of Arab who lives a nomadic lifestyle in the desert, similar to Fulanis. So it's an Arabian, more specifically Bedouin, proverb.

Secondly I didn't say that that was the proverb, I said it was a reference to the proverb. Why are you quoting my comment without quoting the proverb that I provided you with....

And why are you quoting what you edited instead of what I actually said? So you just felt like quoting yourself...?

I used that proverb because I have noticed a lot of men rubbishing the sex-for-grades claims over the past few days but most were still defensive towards the Ghanaian lecturer

Ok.

However, perhaps you meant to review a movie but decided to drop mini reviews in other sections instead. Quite understandable, it was a good film.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

You Won't Have Problem With Your Mother In Law If You Follow These Steps / I'm 22 Years Old And A Burden On My Family, I'm Thinking Of Leaving Home. / Mothers Please Advice A Frustrated Married Man.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.