Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,054 members, 7,838,663 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Fela Supported Biafra - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Supported Biafra (12451 Views)

Fr Mbaka - I Never Supported Biafra / Ibibos Never Supported Biafra - Not Now, Not Ever - Akanimo Kingsley / President Of France Charles Degaulle Supported Biafra Remarks He Made At A Press (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 8:17am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lol oh so you do that stuff? grin
Kinky, nice to know wink

shocked shocked shocked

If you reciprocate. wink
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

shocked shocked shocked

If you reciprocate. wink

Lol, be a good boy man. wink
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 8:26am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lol, be a good boy man. wink

Only if it is fresh. cool
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

Only if it is fresh. cool

LOL. You are. . . .

Fela and many others supported Biafra. The only reason why some Yoruba peeps won't admit that they sympathize with the Igbo is because of their pride, and periodical abuse from Igbo men on this forum tongue
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 8:32am On Nov 07, 2010
One day my dear. . . One day. wink
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

One day my dear. . . One day. wink
Never! Another experiment. . . ?

*eyebrow raised*
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by item: 8:48am On Nov 07, 2010
That is very possible.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by fASHCEO(m): 10:14am On Nov 07, 2010
Thinking, won't it be better if Nigeria is re-branded as United Nations of Nigeria (UNN), just my simply thoughts.

For phones, computers, ipods & other electronics, Check out Sales-Inland with the link below;
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Abayomin70(m): 10:25am On Nov 07, 2010
igbo people dont somhow dont lik yoruba people everybody no dat one even satan no it but we are still beta dan d hausa i will advise dem to go make friends with ABOKI that is hausa
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by HiTek1: 1:11pm On Nov 07, 2010
It is true that Fela had sympathy for the plight of Biafra. But while the war was going on, he was actually in support of One Nigeria. In fact, he came out with a song in 1969 titled "Viva Africa" where he specifically called for One Nigeria.

The first two stanza of the song are as follows:

This is brother Fela Ransome-Kuti.
This is one time I will like to say a few things
Men are born, Kings are made, treaties are signed, wars are fought
Every country has it’s own problems.
So as Nigerians, so as Africans
Let us bind our wounds and live together in peace
Nigeria, one nation indivisible
Long Live Nigeria

Viva Africa

The history of mankind is full of obvious turning points and significant events
Though tongue and tribe may differ
We are all Nigerians

We are all Africans
War is not the answer
It has never been the answer
And it will never be the answer

You can listen to the song here:

http://nigeriawiki.com/Fela_VivaAfrica.htm
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Sweetnecta: 1:32pm On Nov 07, 2010
Politics, they say is a dirty game. for the most part, the saying is correct, and for that "most part" dirtiness, i do not even vote. i have never voted outside private issues within family and friends and my mosque. i do this, when ever i do it only to rid off a person many others and i consider unworthy of the trust that his/her position demands.

I amvery sure most of us on nairaland were post nigerian civil babies. either we now at east accept that the story that we are being told by our ethnic people, be they the victims, culprits, agitators, hoodwinked group[s] or not, it is at best 99% correct and worst in degree less than that. i am certain that it is 100% and it may not be 0%, either.

since this is the case, and we are still one nigeria, let us find a way to move forward, and allow the wound to heal, though the scar may ever remain. part of this process is to realize and i always advocate it among all the people i have my private dialogue with, is lets relagate the oil to something that is not the nation cake anymore. hence we should develop other aspects of our natural resources, vis a vis creating direct and complex industries and unbreakable relationship[s] through it among one another, therefore creating inroad to get along, look towards the future.

if oil is the reason for the war, the new discoveries of some tangible reserves in the ethnic yoruba part seem to me, at least in the long run a diffusion of that hard claim or assumption that future discoveries may not even happen inland. Oklahoma, Texas, California, inlands do quite well in pumping out oil.

while we, the people of the new generation of nigeria, post 1970 babies are fighting about which single man or people or ethnic did us wrong or we beat up, etc, Jack Gowon and Ojukwu are still christian brothers. neither of them renounced his christianity because the other is a christian, nor declare that he opted for another country, so that the two dont carry the same passport. Jack is married to igbo woman, victoria even right there in the height of the war, spending close to 2 million pounds, but didnt stop and say that most of the igbos are christians like him and from them he has picked a wife. infact, the marriages of the military men to women from other tribes, especially the igbos did not soften their hearts for the most part towards their inlaws.

each one of us should try not to have such stone cold heart towards others, for whatever reason they are different from us. i wonder what our future will be if we marry from the other tribes? will this be a glue that will cement us if we are determined to remain acountry? america has done it, struggling a war fought so long ago. why cant we take from their examples? am sure that iraqi willeven have a better view of the americans than we have of the other ethnics. america in her story book will not paint herself as the aggressor in the iraqi war. why do we expect that our view point is the absolutely correct one?

i knew nigeria before the war. lets get back there, in a better way, meeting and excelling over every obstacle and proving ourselves wrong, as nigeria becomes a better society for all of us, and a platform and legacy that all our future yet to be born nigerians, home and abroad with the nigerian blood flowing in their veins can marshal a better singular society on.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by cap28: 1:46pm On Nov 07, 2010
[/quote][quote author=Hi_Tek link=topic=546403.msg7095147#msg7095147 date=1289131879]
It is true that Fela had sympathy for the plight of Biafra. But while the war was going on, he was actually in support of One Nigeria. In fact, he came out with a song in 1969 titled "Viva Africa" where he specifically called for One Nigeria.

Long Live Nigeria

Viva Africa

We are all Nigerians

We are all Africans
War is not the answer

Im sure you know that individuals are constantly evolving beings, fela despite his musical genius is no exception, he admits himself that his views on africa and his own identity changed drastically upon arriving in america in 69 where he was up close and personal with the injustice that blacks over there were facing, his conversion began upon his encounter with Sandra Isadore an african american black panther so i think its safe to say that at the time he released the above record he had not yet undergone this change.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by cap28: 2:11pm On Nov 07, 2010
Sweetnecta:

Politics, they say is a dirty game. for the most part, the saying is correct, and for that "most part" dirtiness, i do not even vote. i have never voted outside private issues within family and friends and my mosque. i do this, when ever i do it only to rid off a person many others and i consider unworthy of the trust that his/her position demands.

I amvery sure most of us on nairaland were post nigerian civil babies. either we now at east accept that the story that we are being told by our ethnic people, be they the victims, culprits, agitators, hoodwinked group[s] or not, it is at best 99% correct and worst in degree less than that. i am certain that it is 100% and it may not be 0%, either.

since this is the case, and we are still one nigeria, let us find a way to move forward, and allow the wound to heal, though the scar may ever remain. part of this process is to realize and i always advocate it among all the people i have my private dialogue with, is lets relagate the oil to something that is not the nation cake anymore. hence we should develop other aspects of our natural resources, vis a vis creating direct and complex industries and unbreakable relationship[s] through it among one another, therefore creating inroad to get along, look towards the future.

if oil is the reason for the war, the new discoveries of some tangible reserves in the ethnic yoruba part seem to me, at least in the long run a diffusion of that hard claim or assumption that future discoveries may not even happen inland. Oklahoma, Texas, California, inlands do quite well in pumping out oil.

while we, the people of the new generation of nigeria, post 1970 babies are fighting about which single man or people or ethnic did us wrong or we beat up, etc, Jack Gowon and Ojukwu are still christian brothers. neither of them renounced his christianity because the other is a christian, nor declare that he opted for another country, so that the two dont carry the same passport. Jack is married to igbo woman, victoria even right there in the height of the war, spending close to 2 million pounds, but didnt stop and say that most of the igbos are christians like him and from them he has picked a wife. infact, the marriages of the military men to women from other tribes, especially the igbos did not soften their hearts for the most part towards their inlaws.

each one of us should try not to have such stone cold heart towards others, for whatever reason they are different from us. i wonder what our future will be if we marry from the other tribes? will this be a glue that will cement us if we are determined to remain acountry? america has done it, struggling a war fought so long ago. why cant we take from their examples? am sure that iraqi willeven have a better view of the americans than we have of the other ethnics. america in her story book will not paint herself as the aggressor in the iraqi war. why do we expect that our view point is the absolutely correct one?

i knew nigeria before the war. lets get back there, in a better way, meeting and excelling over every obstacle and proving ourselves wrong, as nigeria becomes a better society for all of us, and a platform and legacy that all our future yet to be born nigerians, home and abroad with the nigerian blood flowing in their veins can marshal a better singular society on.

If you had read and understood nigeria's history you would not be making the above statements, the reason that nigeria is in the state it is in today is because the country as a whole has been hijacked by a northern cabal of kleptocrats who have no vision and  no long term plan for nigeria's development.

If it were that we had leaders who had a sense of national pride, dignity and self respect we would be halfway there.  What we have instead are a group of semi illiterate gangsters whose only plan for nigeria is to ra.pe it into the ground, and guess what they are doing a very good job of it.

HOw is it that a human being can feel absolutely no shame about stealing from his own people, even the white man who loves money more than life itself has limits when it comes to stealing, in the west you have politicians who steal but not in the way that these scum steal, where have you heard that one man would go as far as stealing $20 BILLION  USD and not only still have the guts to walk around in that same country with impunity but even go as far as running FOR OFFICE AGAIN!!!!!

Your plea that we should try and move forward is being directed towards the wrong audience, it is not the nigerian populace that you should be directing your pleas towards , you should focus on these animals that have sentenced generations of nigerians unborn to a life of enslavement, Fela once talked about a movement against second slavery, i can tell you now that these animals in power have sentenced all nigerians to the second phase of slavery, as long as they remain in power nigerians in and outside nigeria will continue to live as slaves.   Those of you in nigeria should get ready for the second phase of IBB's plan which is the total annihilation of the nigerian economy in which the average nigerian will be reduced to a pathetic and sorry state of unending poverty, for those of us in the west , our position here becomes more and more vulnerable as the west begins to implement policies designed to exclude foreigners from employment.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 2:14pm On Nov 07, 2010
Hi_Tek:

Long Live Nigeria

Viva Africa

We are all Nigerians

We are all Africans
War is not the answer

God will guide you in all your endeavors for posting a fact that flies in the face of these rabid conjecturers?

I had to call on the original poster of this thread to embark on exploratory research before posting goofy and conjectural crap such as the one that claimed Fela Ransome Kuti supported Biafra’s effort. It is imperative that EzeUche should listen to this advise or being lumped with flock of guinea fowls roaming this forum.

It will amount to act of despoil on history for anybody to insinuate that Fela Ransome Kuti in any way or shape supported Biafra’s effort. The musician from Yoruba ethnicity did not support Biafra rather he supported the phantom called One-Nigeria which almost the Yoruba supported and fought. 

During the war, Fela and his sisters were frolicking with the likes of Brigadier E. E. Ikwue, etc.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by becomrich4: 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2010
dede, no post it again. you are covered. take my mouth.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 2:33pm On Nov 07, 2010
becomrich4:

dede, no post it again. you are covered. take my mouth.

What the hell will I do with your putrid mouth? Again, Fela's sisters were frolicking with the likes of Brigadier E. E. Ikwue.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Fela and many others supported Biafra. The only reason why some Yoruba peeps won't admit that they sympathize with the Igbo is because of their pride, and periodical abuse from Igbo men on this forum tongue
Total and utter rubbish. In fact many easterners did not support Biafra such as Azikiwe's NCNC party members not to talk of the Nzeogwu radicals like Banjo and Oyewole who happened to find themselves on the Biafran side at the outbreak of hostilities.
In fact Wole Soyinka was the only prominent non Easterner to support Biafra which is not such a surprise given his own reactionary inclinations.
You're reading too much into revisionist accounts of the war by a few disgruntled elements on Nairaland.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 3:30pm On Nov 07, 2010
tensor777:

Total and utter rubbish. In fact many easterners did not support Biafra such as Azikiwe's NCNC party members not to talk of the Nzeogwu radicals like Banjo and Oyewole who happened to find themselves on the Biafran side at the outbreak of hostilities.
In fact Wole Soyinka was the only prominent non Easterner to support Biafra which is not such a surprise given his own reactionary inclinations.
You're reading too much into revisionist accounts of the war by a few disgruntled elements on Nairaland.

Fela clearly supported Biafra.You know nothing about him or his revolutionary beliefs so why are you talking? Were you his side kick?I doubt that being that you know nothing about him. CLOSE YOUR MOUTH.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 07, 2010
Hi_Tek:

It is true that Fela had sympathy for the plight of Biafra.
And where exactly did you get that one from? Just mention a single statement or lyric attributed to Fela whereby he expressed support for Ojukwu and his policy.
He may indeed have been sympathetic to the plight of innocent civilians caught up in the war as any right thinking person should, but that is not the same thing as supporting Ojukwu.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 07, 2010
chyz:

Fela clearly supported Biafra.You know nothing about him or his revolutionary beliefs so why are you talking? Were you his side kick?I doubt that being that you know nothing about him. CLOSE YOUR MOUTH.
And why should I when you keep talking rubbish. What was so revolutionary about Biafra that radicals like Fela would support? Just mention one documented statement  or lyric whereby he expreesed support for Biafra,  not silly beer parlour gossip you are found of citing.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by chyz(m): 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2010
tensor777:

And why should I when you keep talking rubbish. What was so revolutionary about Biafra that radicals like Fela would support? Just mention one documented statement  or lyric whereby he expreesed support for Biafra,  not silly beer parlour gossip tou are found of citing

Oh so he's a "radical" now. A man who want freedom for his people from their oppressor(white supremacist) is called a "radical"? You seriously need help you House Nigger.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 07, 2010
Dede1:

God will guide you in all your endeavors for posting a fact that flies in the face of these rabid conjecturers?
I had to call on the original poster of this thread to embark on exploratory research before posting goofy and conjectural crap such as the one that claimed Fela Ransome Kuti supported Biafra’s effort. It is imperative that EzeUche should listen to this advise or being lumped with flock of guinea fowls rooming this forum.
It will amount to act of despoil on history for anybody to insinuate that Fela Ransome Kuti in any way or shape supported Biafra’s effort. The musician from Yoruba ethnicity did not support Biafra rather he supported the phantom called One-Nigeria which almost the Yoruba supported and fought.  
During the war, Fela and his sisters were frolicking with the likes of Brigadier E. E. Ikwue, etc.
I truly don't know where these people are forming these rabid if not totally maniacal, revisionist conjectures.
In fact I remember clearly that many years after the war Nigerian musicians of Yoruba extraction kept releasing albums extolling the virtues of one Nigeria.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 07, 2010
For those still labouring under the illusion that Nigerians of Igbo extraction were monolithic in their support of the Ojukwu adventure here are the words of the most active and important player in that era, Major Nzeogwu:-

In the first place, secession will be ill-advised, indeed impossible. Even if the East fights a war of secession and wins, it still cannot secede. Personally, I don’t like secession and if this country disintegrates, I shall pack up my things and go. In the present circumstances, confederation is the best answer as a temporary measure. In time, we shall have complete unity.

These words show a great deal of wisdom and foresight and illustrates the tragedy of his rash adventure and demise at the battlefront.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by HiTek1: 4:07pm On Nov 07, 2010
tensor777:

And where exactly did you get that one from? Just mention a single statement or lyric attributed to Fela whereby he expressed support for Ojukwu and his policy.
He may indeed have been sympathetic to the plight of innocent civilians caught up in the war as any right thinking person should, but that is not the same thing as supporting Ojukwu.

My statement that Fela had sympathy for the plight of Biafra is correct. One can have sympathy for the people and not the government. If you want to know my source, here it is:

"Fela’s mistrust of new African governments especially that of Nigeria is born from this war (the Biafran war). It’s a mistrust that will soon grow into open war."

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvd4VxcY_1k at the 9.20 mark.

Warning: This clip contains graphic images of the Biafran war.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 07, 2010
tensor777:

For those still labouring under the illusion that Nigerians of Igbo extraction were monolithic in their support of the Ojukwu adventure here are the words of the most active and important player in that era, Major Nzeogwu:-

In the first place, secession will be ill-advised, indeed impossible. Even if the East fights a war of secession and wins, it still cannot secede. Personally, I don’t like secession and if this country disintegrates, I shall pack up my things and go. In the present circumstances, confederation is the best answer as a temporary measure. In time, we shall have complete unity.

These words show a great deal of wisdom and foresight and illustrates the tragedy of his rash adventure and demise at the battlefront.

If Ojukwu wanted confederation, he probably would have gotten it in Aburi. He foolishly thought he could win and possibly take Yorubaland with him. What a greedy goat.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 07, 2010
Hi_Tek:

My statement that Fela had sympathy for the plight of Biafra is correct. One can have sympathy for the people and not the government. If you want to know my source, here it is:

"Fela’s mistrust of new African governments especially that of Nigeria is born from this war (the Biafran war). It’s a mistrust that will soon grow into open war."

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvd4VxcY_1k at the 9.20 mark.

Warning: This clip contains graphic images of the Biafran war.

It is inconsequential whether Fela or Soyinka supported Biafra. ibos started the war and attempted to invade Yorubaland. It doesn't matter whether or not Fela wore the Biafran uniform.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by estatemark(m): 4:21pm On Nov 07, 2010
The Nigeria/biafra war from my point of view was not only a mistake but a selffish campaign of individuals who wanted to heros and relevant at the expense of millions of people whose life were wasted for nothing. War is never and can never be a solution to Nigeria question. Woe to any indivdual or group who to those who would want to plunge this nation again into the darkness we have left behind." WAR DOES NOT PROSPER ANY NATION"
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by aljharem(m): 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2010
Aigbofa:

If Ojukwu wanted confederation, he probably would have gotten it in Aburi. He foolishly thought he could win and possibly take Yorubaland with him. What a greedy goat.

gbam gbam gbam
and that why he is hitler reincarnated
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 7:13pm On Nov 07, 2010
Aigbofa:

It is inconsequential whether Fela or Soyinka supported Biafra. ibos started the war and attempted to invade Yorubaland. It doesn't matter whether or not Fela wore the Biafran uniform.

No wonder you have not amounted to anything throughout you miserable life on earth. Are you not ashamed of your dilapidate brain even to insinuate Igbo started Nigeria\Biafra war? It is only in the land of maniacal fools that declaration of independence tantamount to starting of war. What a confused dimwit.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by EzeUche0(m): 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2010
Dede1:

No wonder you have not amounted to anything throughout you miserable life on earth. Are you not ashamed of your dilapidate brain even to insinuate Igbo started Nigeria\Biafra war? It is only in the land of maniacal fools that declaration of independence tantamount to starting of war. What a confused dimwit.

Dede1

I have tried to reason with them. I have tried to extend the olive branch with them. There can be no peace with them!
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by Dede1(m): 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2010
chyz:

I guess the meaning of support is different between us.
Re: Fela Supported Biafra by SapeleGuy: 7:58pm On Nov 07, 2010
This was yesterday:

SapeleGuy:

^^^ Elrazur is correct. He has not apologised, he has merely said he will tone down his hatred rhetoric against the Yoruba and perhaps the  so called Eastern Minorities.

He has probably stumbled across Pan Africanism, when the novelty wears off, he will return to his xenophobic best.

This is today:
EzeUche0:

Dede1

I have tried to reason with them. I have tried to extend the olive branch with them. There can be no peace with them!

And this is simply priceless:

Dede1:

It is imperative that EzeUche should listen to this advise or being lumped with flock of guinea fowls roaming this forum.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The / 500 Engineers To Be Recruited For New Power-Plants – Gov. Fayemi / Gov Rochas Okorocha Denies Dumping APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.