Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,997 members, 7,825,087 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? (3350 Views)

Senate Summons Fashola Over Falling Bridges / Breaking News: Hand Of God Appears In The Sky In The USA [see Photos] / Married Women Fall From 3 Storey Building While Fighting In Onitsha (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by DapoBear(m): 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2010
This thread amuses me mostly because I think he somehow started it to be offensive to the Yorubaman, but didn't think through the implications.

If it were me, I'd have found something tying the Yorubaman to mud or worms, not the heavens, angels, gods, lol
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by tpia5: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2010
jason12345:

Tpia, let stop insulting[b] him[/b]. pls! lets be the bigger man!

note the change.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by AkinEgba: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2010
tpia@:

so your rants are because you want to be considered a jew?

and who's stopping you from claiming whatever you want to claim?

if you like say you're descended from martian troglodytes.

who actually cares?

bush animal.

I personally am not a Jew wannabe. But let those who want be be Jews be what they wanna be. Your evil people are the ones teasing them with that every now and then, forgeting that they themselves were pushed down from heaven by the heavenly powers.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by AkinEgba: 4:47pm On Nov 11, 2010
DapoBear:

This thread amuses me mostly because I think he somehow started it to be offensive to the Yorubaman, but didn't think through the implications.

If it were me, I'd have found something tying the Yorubaman to mud or worms, not the heavens, angels, gods, lol

It is a big minus to be pushed down from all the enjoyment in heaven. The first to be pushed was the devil himself. Thus, others so pushed cant be any different
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by DapoBear(m): 4:51pm On Nov 11, 2010
Akin-Egba:

It is a big minus to be pushed down from all the enjoyment in heaven. The first to be pushed was the devil himself. Thus, others so pushed cant be any different

Err, sure. But that is not how the story goes, it isn't like he was kicked out of heaven. Dude was sent from heaven to create the earth:

The Ife oral traditions, on the other hand, tell that Oduduwa was the son of the supreme God Olodumare or Olorun, and was sent by him from heaven to create the earth. Another version of this myth ascribes these roles to Obatala, thereby casting Oduduwa as an usurper.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by jason12345: 4:53pm On Nov 11, 2010
Akin-Egba:

I personally am not a Jew wannabe. But let those who want be be Jews be what they wanna be. Your evil people are the ones teasing them with that every now and then, forgeting that they themselves were pushed down from heaven by the heavenly powers.

stop this nonsense! angry. why can't we move away from tribalism for GOD SAKE
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by tpia5: 4:55pm On Nov 11, 2010
Akin-Egba:

since you're the dumb mouthpiece of the dumb poster, explain what oduduwa has to do with your jew wannabe-ism.

i thought your/the op's original grouse was emeagwali.

now the goalpost has shifted?

what exactly is the connection, because it seems myths and legends which are common to every culture on earth, is foreign to you, hence the noisemaking.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by DapoBear(m): 4:58pm On Nov 11, 2010
Ah, so I didn't get the game. I didn't realize that one could rewrite the oral history of another people. So yes, if you are allowed to rewrite the history from:

1) Oduduwa, son of God sent to create the earth and found the Yoruba and humanity (Jesus-like figure)
to
2) Oduduwa as a refugee, perhaps convict escaping from heaven (Satanic figure)

then yes, things look bad.

But if I'm allowed to rewrite origin stories, I can do this for any ethnic group, including that of the original poster. . .

Certainly we can play that game, if you like. It could be quite amusing.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by dayokanu(m): 5:09pm On Nov 11, 2010
Akin-Egba:

I thought Akin-Egba said he was an Egba man or has he decamped to his original ethnic group east of River Niger?, Or when did Egba people too came from the Jews
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by homerac7: 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2010
Don't knw y some people r taking ds thread banters so serious. D poster is only being sarcastic and moreover, every civilization has her myths and legends.

Although me think Dts one of d weirdest of all I hav heard. Followed by dt of orunmila who climbed a chain down from heaven to a flooded earth with a handful of sand, cock and palm fruit. D sand was poured on d water to form d landmass while d cock Ws unleashed to spread d sand and d fruit planted to form vegetation. So Darwin is wrong in his origin of species, rather all animals evolved from d chicken. At least, so says dt yoruba mythology.

Crazy u wld say, isn't it? Bt interesting.wish I knw about Igbo mythologies too.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by tpia5: 5:21pm On Nov 11, 2010
I thought Akin-Egba said he was an Egba man

slip of tongue.

or slip of user id.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 11, 2010
tpia@:

slip of tongue.

or slip of user id.

And I thought I was the only one thinking this Environer sounds familiar.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by seanet02: 5:27pm On Nov 11, 2010
Akin egba is an Igbira or Ohori Man!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by seanet02: 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2010
Omo Oduduwa
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by dayokanu(m): 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2010
homerac7:

Don't knw y some people r taking ds thread banters so serious. D poster is only being sarcastic and moreover, every civilization has her myths and legends.

Although me think Dts one of d weirdest of all I hav heard. Followed by dt of orunmila who climbed a chain down from heaven to a flooded earth with a handful of sand, cock and palm fruit. D sand was poured on d water to form d landmass while d cock Ws unleashed to spread d sand and d fruit planted to form vegetation. So Darwin is wrong in his origin of species, rather all animals evolved from d chicken. At least, so says dt yoruba mythology.

Crazy u wld say, isn't it? Bt interesting.wish I knw about Igbo mythologies too.

You dont think the Jewish one that God moulded clay and breath into it was weird, or that Jacob wrestled with God and it was a stalemate until God did "wayo" and removed a sinew from his leg? or the Greek one that one Greek God Atlas is carrying the world on his shoulders?
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by sulad82i(m): 5:36pm On Nov 11, 2010
I mean like really, all those superstitions they always tell us.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2010
I'm yet to read a single reply here that even pretends to understand the creation stories of people and cultures around the world, ALL of which link their founding to visitors ''from the sky''. The Yorubas have it. The Igbos have it. The Hausas, Bini, Tiv, Jews, Sumerians, Babylonians, Ashanti, Zulu, Hutu, etc,  All believe their ancestors/creators came ''from the sky'', with the various fairytale-sounding creation processes merely symbolic explanations.

We should be spending more time investigating this, to know where in fact we came from.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by tpia5: 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2010
i grew up reading about thor and other norse gods, paul bunyan, tales from the arabian nights, sinbad the sailor, greek mythology and mount olympus, romulus and remus, etc etc.

so no, i do not have a problem with the story of oduduwa descending on a chain and scattering earth on the primordial ground.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by Environer: 6:11pm On Nov 11, 2010
dayokanu:

I thought Akin-Egba said he was an Egba man or has he decamped to his original ethnic group east of River Niger?, Or when did Egba people too came from the Jews

This is environer speaking from Alaigbo. Am too much to wannabe a jew how much less a Yoruba. So carry you Akin Egba (whatever that means) and shove it up your infected throat.
Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Nov 11, 2010
^^ I dont think I ever quoted you Environer, I quoted Akinegba or is Environer the same person as Akin EGba?

My quotes below

Akin-Egba:

Re: Did Oduduwa Fall From The Sky As In Falling From The Sky? by Environer: 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ I dont think I ever quoted you Environer, I quoted Akinegba or is Environer the same person as Akin EGba?

My quotes below

Yeah I noticed my error; was intending to refer to Ileke Idi. Thanks.
And n, Environer is not Akin Egba. Akin Egba sounds Yoruba. Environer is an okoro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Achebe Actually Insult The Yorubas? / Patience Mother's Burial:p Square Captured Posing On Gold Plated Seats & Dinning / Election Is Ongoing In My Place Right Now (Picture)...what Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.