Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,512 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41411 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 4:29am On Nov 14, 2010
Blue Magic:

If most of you that condemn & beef those that live abroad had an open opportunity 2 leave Nigeria, i believe you wont think twice about packin your bags & baggages & headin to the airport. If e.g America were to make it visa free 4 Nigeria, believe me 90% of Nigerians will be out of there b4 night falls. Where would you rather have a quality education? Nigeria or abroad? Where would you rather have a house of your own where u got security, electricity, rule of law, quality health care etc Nigeria or abroad. Even your so called leaders know this, why do u think they rather send their kids abroad to school, own houses abroad etc. And 4 you Nigerians living a rich life abroad & expect the people to kiss your A@# becos u are rich like they do in Nigeria, well bleep y'all!!!! Thats why u are livin in a civilised society where nobody gives a damn how much u got or u make, cos here every1 has the same equal rights & nobody is above the law, Rich or Poor. so if u want some1 to kiss your A@# cos u are rich well go back to Nigeria where u can have u A$% kissed all day & do wateva & oppress the poor. Once again i say bleep y'all!!!!!!!! So instead of being myopic try & better urself, improve urself rather than being ignorant. There's a sayin "I thot my father's farm was the biggest in the world until, Agreed there's no place like home but wherever u lay your head becomes your home.

Come back here Mr Magician, you ain't done yet, you still need to look into that crystal ball of yours further and comment on those category of people who live abroad condemning those abroad and those who are abroad and not rich. You have only just addressed those living in naija condemning those abroad and the rich ones abroad who looks down their nose on those in naija so get to work asap cool
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by samtoye(m): 6:52am On Nov 14, 2010
Its different strokes for different folks. No fast rule, do not condemn Nigeria. I work in a communication company and we are all paid well, yes I agree not everybody would get that opportunity but saying Nigeria is all bad is myopic. Stay anywhere that works for you, its just that most of us are hypocrites and we would never come to terms with the truth. Please some of us should watch this program on Zone Reality tv "UK Border force" and you would understand what I am saying. We do much international travelling in my company and we are much respected at the embassies, we meet our people in some countries and wonder why they continued to wallow in misery in a foreign land. Yes again there are some lucky ones that have legal stay and good jobs but I would rather have a very good job amongst my people than have a good job in a foreign land where my colour "may" be a disadvantage for me. Some of you may not agree with me but we are all entitled to our opinions. As one wise man said "I have never learnt from someone that agrees with me", Most knowledge comes from disagreements. Remember that where your heart is; that's HOME for you.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by oyinda3(f): 7:55am On Nov 14, 2010
I don't understand the point of this topic. Most people have the freedom to return to naija if they want. Or to return to the US if they are visiting naija.Regret applies more to permanent change. something you cannot change that happened in the past (but may still be affecting your life). Most people responding to this topic are still young and dynamic. They still have lots of choices and options. No permanent change has occured yet and still have the idea of the "american dream" etc

It is best to pose this question to elderly nigerians who have lived decades abroad and are about to retire home etc. They are the ones who can explain better if their extended time abroad has been well worth it.
because if you are still living abroad and have no plans of coming home to settle anytime soon, obviously you don't have regrets!! how can you regret something you are still doing!!?
so the question should be posed to people who are coming back home. Or people who "life abroad" is a past experience for them. They are the ones, in my opinion, who have more authority in this subject matter.

hahah this might be a problem for some who prefer to die abroad though. maybe they should be asked on their dying bed hahahah
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 7:57am On Nov 14, 2010
Blue Magic:

If most of you that condemn & beef those that live abroad had an open opportunity 2 leave Nigeria, i believe you wont think twice about packin your bags & baggages & headin to the airport. If e.g America were to make it visa free 4 Nigeria, believe me 90% of Nigerians will be out of there b4 night falls. Where would you rather have a quality education? Nigeria or abroad? Where would you rather have a house of your own where u got security, electricity, rule of law, quality health care etc Nigeria or abroad. Even your so called leaders know this, why do u think they rather send their kids abroad to school, own houses abroad etc. And 4 you Nigerians living a rich life abroad & expect the people to kiss your A@# becos u are rich like they do in Nigeria, well bleep y'all!!!! Thats why u are livin in a civilised society where nobody gives a damn how much u got or u make, cos here every1 has the same equal rights & nobody is above the law, Rich or Poor. so if u want some1 to kiss your A@# cos u are rich well go back to Nigeria where u can have u A$% kissed all day & do wateva & oppress the poor. Once again i say bleep y'all!!!!!!!! So instead of being myopic try & better urself, improve urself rather than being ignorant. There's a sayin "I thot my father's farm was the biggest in the world until, Agreed there's no place like home but wherever u lay your head becomes your home.

Good points, that 90% that will readily leave Nigeria are the lazy, never do wells that dont belive in working hard and looking inwards to solve their problems. They are the chronically dis-satisfied brothers and sisters who want something for nothing, who think by just landing in US, their problems are over.

Alas, the truth hits them BAM! In the face when they get off the plane and see fellow Nigerians waiting at the airports begging for connection and business form you that just came in!

I am happy for you all who say they dont regret it, but I still feel bad when I remember those Nigerians languishing at the backyard of civilization, I mean those people that will never come here to say something, because they cannot afford internet connection.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 8:07am On Nov 14, 2010
oyinda.:

I don't understand the point of this topic. Most people have the freedom to return to naija if they want. Or to return to the US if they are visiting naija.Regret applies more to permanent change. something you cannot change. Most people responding to this topic are still young and dynamic. They still have lots of choices and options. No permanent change has occured yet and still have the idea of the "american dream" etc

It is best to pose this question to elderly nigerians who have lived decades abroad and are about to retire home etc. They are the ones who can explain better if their extended time abroad has been well worth it.
because if you are still living abroad and have no plans of coming home to settle anytime soon, obviously you don't have regrets!! how can you regret something you are still doing!!?
so the question should be posed to people who are coming back home. Or people who "life abroad" is a past experience for them. They are the ones, in my opinion, who have more authority in this subject matter.

I know two elderly people like that. Five years ago when I wanted to move abroad, one had to travel back just to advice me, (an uncle) there were tears in his eyes when he told me that the worst thing that will happen to his life is to allow me go out there and repeat his mistakes he made when he was my age. The tears of that old man was part of the things that made me stay back here. Now when he calls, he says "you see, I think I told you to stay back"
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by oyinda3(f): 8:14am On Nov 14, 2010
^ yea elderly people tend to be more mixed about it. they are more likely to say that they regret moving abroad (at least partially).
it think it also depends on the age of the emigree. If you came to the US/UK early in life you might have less regrets than someone who came at a later age.

so the factors that affect it, in my opinion, are:
1)the age of person at time of immigration. the older you were the less opportunities you may feel are available to you abroad.
2) length of time abroad. the longer u've been abroad, the more disenchanted you may become and start thinking of coming back home.
3) position in Naija. If you were rich in naija, it may be better to stay home. That's why politicians and big business men only go abroad for summers   and vacations even though many have the option of staying abroad permanently.
4) success abroad. obviously if you have achieved your dream abroad, then you probably want to remain there.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by obi123: 8:20am On Nov 14, 2010
HELL NO!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS, in fact i was moving with the spirit when I left and I thank God daily i did
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 9:12am On Nov 14, 2010
Why will you regret moving abroad when you havent come back to see what you left behind, who you let behind, so, what are you making the judgement against? Against what you hear or what?

who even cares if you regret it or not? The question is, who cares?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 9:19am On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

Why will you regret moving abroad when you havent come back to see what you left behind, who you let behind, so, what are you making the judgement against? Against what you hear or what?

who even cares if you regret it or not? The question is, who cares?

Dont mind them, their mates in naija have five kids each and living well. They wont regret now, give them more years.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 9:31am On Nov 14, 2010
invisible!:

Dont mind them, their mates in naija have five kids each and living well. They wont regret now, give them more years.

Some of ur comments sound very silly, so those outdie Nigeria can't have kids where they are? Living well? Do they need to come back to Nigeria to achieve all that?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 9:35am On Nov 14, 2010
oyinda.:

^ yea elderly people tend to be more mixed about it. they are more likely to say that they regret moving abroad (at least partially).
it think it also depends on the age of the emigree. If you came to the US/UK early in life you might have less regrets than someone who came at a later age.
so the factors that affect it, in my opinion, are:
1)the age of person at time of immigration. the older you were the less opportunities you may feel are available to you abroad.
2) length of time abroad. the longer u've been abroad, the more disenchanted you may become and start thinking of coming back home.
3) position in Naija. If you were rich in naija, it may be better to stay home. That's why politicians and big business men only go abroad for summers and vacations even though many have the option of staying abroad permanently. 4) success abroad. obviously if you have achieved your dream abroad, then you probably want to remain there.
Have to agree with u there, if pple are doing well in Nigeria then leaving Nigeria permanently makes no sense.
Many left Nigeria cos things are not working out and they want to explore other avenues outside Nigeria.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Ikedonn(m): 9:38am On Nov 14, 2010
smiley
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 9:47am On Nov 14, 2010
justwise:

Some of your comments sound very silly, so those outdie Nigeria can't have kids where they are? Living well? Do they need to come back to Nigeria to achieve all that?

Daily, they come back to marry, and get her pregnant, anandon her to her fate and be promising to come and pick her up later when his papers are complete.
The worst are those young girls 'tied' up in marriages to those that run away again, leaving her confused and lonely, while the guy is married to his older white lady.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by oyinda3(f): 9:52am On Nov 14, 2010
^ hahhaahhahah
nigerians abroad have their share of problems no doubt. rotflmao  grin

to me, I think some nigerians are better off abroad in terms of quality of life (ex. if they lived in poverty in naija etc. of course things will not be rosy abroad but to them, it's much better compared to being in naija and I can understand where they are coming from). while for others, I think it would be better off for them to have stayed in nigeria just because of their level of education and profession. I feel they would contribute more to the country.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 10:00am On Nov 14, 2010
invisible!:

[b]Daily, they come back to marry, and get her pregnant, anandon her to her fate and be promising to come and pick her up later when his papers are complete.[/b]The worst are those young girls 'tied' up in marriages to those that run away again, leaving her confused and lonely, while the guy is married to his older white lady.

Days are gone for that, you are really out of touch. You still recycling stories we heard in primary schools.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by redsun(m): 10:06am On Nov 14, 2010
Without living in a functional world,independent of nigerian communities in that functional world,having a PHD nigerian style is in most cases is more useless than a high school drop-out in the real world,very very unproductive and irrational,i.e,jonathan

What one should regret is wasting all the experience abroad by making abroad a home for life without going back to nigeria to make some sacrifices.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by redsun(m): 10:16am On Nov 14, 2010
Everything works against time in nigeria.It is a world where minds are programmed to be static,the brain is there but it is not functioning.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 10:17am On Nov 14, 2010
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 10:21am On Nov 14, 2010
Most of these people left their mates in Nigeria and now, some of these people they left behind now has their own houses, cars, businesses, a debt free life etc, while they struggle abroad with the recession and all what nots, struggle with police chasing them up and down, baillif pursuing them for un paid debts, banks pursuing them for un paid overdraft and credit card bills. We see them everywhere, in Europe, in America etc. Why will dey regret moving abroad?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 10:25am On Nov 14, 2010
It is a life of pity. Some want to go home, but no papers, no money for ticket, no where to start, just living from hand to mouth. you can say all you want, but when reality bites you in the anu.s, thats when you will know there is nothing big deal about living abroad, absolutely nothing. Dont come here to hoodwink us about how life abroad is sweet and rosy. Yeah right, or how you are a Nigerian American or British Nigerian. Who cares about your nationality? We agree, you can live anywhere you want, but to come here and start making mouth about how things are bad in Nigeria as if you live in paradise. Hell no.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by redsun(m): 10:27am On Nov 14, 2010
It is not about material possessions at the expense of the masses,it is about mind development that promotes a functional society.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 10:32am On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

It is a life of pity. Some want to go home, but no papers, no money for ticket, no where to start, just living from hand to mouth. you can say all you want, but when reality bites you in the anu.s, thats when you will know there is nothing big deal about living abroad, absolutely nothing. Dont come here to hoodwink us about how life abroad is sweet and rosy. Yeah right, or how you are a Nigerian American or British Nigerian. Who cares about your nationality? We agree, you can live anywhere you want, but to come here and start making mouth about how things are bad in Nigeria as if you live in paradise. Hell no.

Calm down!!! why are sounding so bitter? Why do you care so much about how pple live their lives outside Nigeria? If life is heaven in Nigeria then gr8!! enjoy it and let those abroad suffer, wash plate to survive.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 10:34am On Nov 14, 2010
^^^^

When you rant about how things are bad in Nigeria, no one asks you to calm down, did anyone ask you to?

Bitter because we see them around all over the place but when they come online, they come to talk as kings and queens. Rubbish.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 10:37am On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

^^^^

When you rant about how things are bad in Nigeria, no one asks you to calm down, did anyone ask you to?

Things are bad both in Nigeria and abroad, there is no heaven here, i never claim in any of my post that leaving outside Nigeria is the best thing ever, i just don't like it when pple start this home vs abroad bashing.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by redsun(m): 10:42am On Nov 14, 2010
The heavy fog over nigeria is the reason why nigerians joggle over thieves as leaders.There seems to be knowledge everywhere but nobody is knowledgeable.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by orgasm(m): 1:23pm On Nov 14, 2010
whats happening to my posts?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 2:19pm On Nov 14, 2010
orgasm:

whats happening to my posts?

We wont tell you until you finish having your orgasmic convulations. Are your legs spread out and pointing at the ceiling?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by TippyTop(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2010
90% of Nigerians abroad are cleaners and fraudsters.
(90% not 100% before am misquoted)
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 2:37pm On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

^^^^

Bitter because we see them around all over the place but when they come online, they come to talk as kings and queens. Rubbish.

Going craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy? Time of the month? Hoooooooooooooooooot Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash? What is it? Tell me.

Chillax, this is the internet. NOTHING is real, EVERYTHING is virtual!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34)

Beijing Daxing International Airport: Making Of World Largest, Biggest Airport / Top 10 Safest Cities To Visit In Nigeria / Lagosians Use Faeces To Put Out Fire On Road, Poo Truck Explodes (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.