Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41439 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2010
Tippy Top:

90% of Nigerians abroad are cleaners and fraudsters.
(90% not 100% before am misquoted)

That is so true. . . . Happy?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2010
Tippy Top:

90% of Nigerians abroad are cleaners and fraudsters. (90% not 100% before am misquoted)

Yea. .cos 90% of pple back home are greedy, all they care about is the money, can't stop calling begging for onething or the other. Could that be the case?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 3:08pm On Nov 14, 2010
You mean you call your family members that call you for money greedy? It doesnt mean all other families experience the same. maybe it is just peculiar to poor families alone. You need to feed them anyway, so they will call.

Some families do it the other way round, they send money to their sons and daughter from Nigeria- so, if you are from a poor family, and people call you every minute asking for money, what is that got to do with Nigeria and Nigerians?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 3:10pm On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

You mean you call your family members that call you for money greedy? It doesnt mean all other families experience the same. maybe it is just peculiar to poor families alone. You need to feed them anyway, so they will call.

So do you mean that 90% of Nigerians abroad are doing cleaning job and fraudsters?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by darkman200: 3:30pm On Nov 14, 2010
ishit4body:

^^^^

When you rant about how things are bad in Nigeria, no one asks you to calm down, did anyone ask you to?

Bitter because we see them around all over the place but when they come online, they come to talk as kings and queens. Rubbish.

So there are no people in Nigeria that talk as kings and queens when they are not? people like you showcase your ignorance with what you type.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 4:13pm On Nov 14, 2010
Dont wehave people who on this NL are students or hustler yet come online to boast how they live in Asokoro and drive Range Rover.

Dont we know of theseeker who lives in some Oshogbo hood and claims he lives in Asokoro and drives BMW's
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 14, 2010
Tippy Top:

90% of Nigerians abroad are cleaners and fraudsters.
(90% not 100% before am misquoted)

I trust you can share the source of your statistics? Or you just plucked those percentage values out of thin air?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by KayB: 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2010
self fulfiment is the watch word, do u think a passive player is better than being a solution provider?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 4:57pm On Nov 14, 2010
i enjoyed reading these banters. keep it coming people.  grin grin grin this thread must not die till it gets to page 30  grin grin

sup ma nicca milehigh ? what it look like in denver today ?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2010
No one is forcing anybody to return home or not to travel out.
What I am saying(and most home supporters) is you guys should not deceive yourselves as regards fulfillment, happiness and joy as a result of your choice.
Also, you guys should never speak ill of your country or worse still look down on anyone at home.
You guys should always try to be sincere about life abroad and as much as possible kill the fantasies home based Nigerians close to you have about life abroad and if possible dissuade them from looking up to you. Let them know you will like to be back home permanently soon.

Here's my ranking of fulfillment, happiness, joy and satisfaction for Nigerians home and abroad:
1. Successful Nigerians living at home (in Nigeria) come first - quite a number. May get richer as time goes by.

2. Successful Nigerians living abroad come second - very few of them. Prone to economic crises and hate policies.

3. Struggling Nigerians living at home come third - their condition can change overnight.

4. Struggling Nigerians living abroad come last - they are many in population and their condition gets worse from time to time.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 5:18pm On Nov 14, 2010
on a side note, let me add that 'abroad' is somewhere that the disenfranchised seeds in nigeria go to fallow. they continue to fallow until they get to the point where they realize that it does not matter how many manure and fertilizer they acquire, they just dont seem to germinate. some of them finally realize that the soil they are in is stifling their growth. man shall not live by bake beans and sausages alone  grin grin grin

black man ? let us bear arms and go back and take our country back from the greedy paws of the geriatric oppressors.

i have big plans for naija. if i ruled naija, i will make every citizen of that country a govt unto themselves. nigeria is a very hot country. that is billions of kilowatts of untapped solar energy. every home in nigeria shall be provided with a govt subsidized solar panel. so you have free electricity all year round. then every home shall have govt subsidized boreholes so you can get your own water. see that is 2 sectors i have created right there. the sector for solar panels and the boreholes. these will all be in the govt compound and we can put like 10 thousand people to work, servicing and repairing these amenities for the people.

so now you have water and light ? next is computerizing the whole nigerian citizenry, all the computer experts abroad need to come home and handle this. create an effective taxation system based off the computerized system. then use the tax and oil money to fix every road in nigeria.  then i will disband the army. and the police will double up as an army (like in costa rica) tis not like we fight wars. buy about 10,000 police cars. paint them green white green. put siren on them, and have our police force patrolling the streets. increase police pay so they can focus on the job.

then i will privatize all the universities in nigeria and create a govt watchdog that will every quarter go around to inspect the universities to make sure that they are up to scratch and keeping up. this is a third sector. the govt watchdog.

another sector will be refuse disposal. every friday they come and empty all your refuse. this sector can put another 10,000 people to work.

and voila we have a nation with light, water, good roads, effective police, clean environment and good universities. is that so hard to do ??/?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2010
90%? wow

if u check most of the africans working for the big 4 (accounting firms) and oil companies in the UK are Nigerian so where people are plucking this 90% from is amazing. Ok they may be kids of 2nd generation Nigerians but can people stop this naija in naija versus naija abroad threads.

let us instead look for ways to improve the living conditions for the masses in nigeria instead of blowing the trumpet cos a % of people who happen to have done well for themselves in nigeria now believe that cos they can travel out every month for shopping are now better than those abroad.

and anyway even if 90% of nigerians are cleaners or whatever menial job they are doing they will not be turned away from a hospital cos they don't have money here, lets stop looking at who is living large but the bigger picture.

instead of all the insult we should be exchanging ideas on how to make things work in nigeria
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by sage(m): 6:17pm On Nov 14, 2010
Why are some haters concerned about people abroad? Haters can jump off third mainland bridge.

People who live abroad are loving it while haters keep hating.

Abroad is not by force! Make una go siddon
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:51pm On Nov 14, 2010
fot those of you in naija who are tired of no electricity. i am about to make you a government unto yourself. booyahhhhhhhhh http://www.thesolarplan.com/articles/your-own-solar-panel-collector.html DIY solar panel (do it yourself) . follow the instructions, and you will never be out of light again. hopefully you are slightly technically minded, or know someone who is
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by vistax1: 7:05pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ok all of you guys said you didn't regret moving abroad tell us what you are doing & how much U earn so dat we can know if it is what moving abraod.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 14, 2010
vistax1:

Ok all of you guys said you didn't regret moving abroad tell us what you are doing & how much U earn so dat we can know if it is what moving abraod.

Your post just goes to show the way your mind works. Why would anyone tell strangers what they're doing, and how much they earn? No one, whether they live in or out of Nigeria, owes anyone any explanation. Read your own post, and see if it makes any sense, even to you!
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by darkman200: 7:32pm On Nov 14, 2010
vistax1:

you are just hating and being childish, how do you expect people to be posting their income on here? Are you nuts or just hopelessly retarded?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 7:37pm On Nov 14, 2010
darkman200:

you are just hating and being childish, how do you expect people to be posting their income on here? Are you nuts or just hopelessly retarded?

He wants to know who to send yahoo yahoo email.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 14, 2010
darkman200:

I did wonder myself.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:53pm On Nov 14, 2010
vistax1:

well i cannot give you specific figures but the average salary of nigerians in america is $70,000 per annum and in britain it is 20,000 pounds per annum.

i will pull up the source but i cannot find the website again

having said that, i know someone personally who works for etisalat in nigeria and makes 50 million naira per annum. i think he is a managing diirector. he used to live in america but returned to naija 5 years ago
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 7:56pm On Nov 14, 2010
vistax1:

what kind of nonsense is this - i still say look at the bigger picture, even a beggar on the streets of London can walk into a hospital and get the same care as the a person earning £80k a year. I am not about to start saying that cannot happen in nigeria but come on now get real, some people where born and raised in the UK so there can be no regret. Nobody owes anyone anything so to make that statement goes to show a mentality I do not like - thinking everything revolves around MONEY.

life aint all about money o!!! peace of mind and being able to plan for yourself and your family is equally important.

buzugee:

well i cannot give you specific figures but the average salary of nigerians in america is $70,000 per annum and in britain it is 20,000 pounds per annum.

having said that, i know someone personally who works for etisalat in nigeria and makes 50 million naira per annum. i think he is a managing diirector. he used to live in america but returned to naija 5 years ago

thats not even the average south east salary in the UK so where is that £20k from. most 1st year graduate jobs pay more than that and most professional jobs pay a lot more - i mean don't new doctors start on £30k plus when they finish medical school - i only use these examples as not everyone is scrubbing toilets in nightclubs!!!!!!!!!!!!,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:05pm On Nov 14, 2010
ada24:

what kind of nonsense is this - i still say look at the bigger picture, even a beggar on the streets of London can walk into a hospital and get the same care as the a person earning £80k a year. I am not about to start saying that cannot happen in nigeria but come on now get real, some people where born and raised in the UK so there can be no regret. Nobody owes anyone anything so to make that statement goes to show a mentality I do not like - thinking everything revolves around MONEY.

life aint all about money o!!! peace of mind and being able to plan for yourself and your family is equally important.

thats not even the average south east salary in the UK so where is that £20k from. most 1st year graduate jobs pay more than that and most professional jobs pay a lot more - i mean don't new doctors start on £30k plus when they finish medical school - i only use these examples as not everyone is scrubbing toilets in nightclubs!!!!!!!!!!!!,
yes but you assume that every nigerian in england is doing graduate work. majority of nigerians are doing security work, early morning cleaning, london underground, and driving taxis. the percentage of nigerians that work with their degree in england is quite negligible compared to the total amount of nigerians. keep in mind that this equates to about 10 pounds per hour. wayyyy above the minimum wage.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 14, 2010
buzugee:

yes but you assume that every nigerian in england is doing graduate work. majority of nigerians are doing security work, early morning cleaning, london underground, and driving taxis. the percentage of nigerians that work with their degree in england is quite negligible compared to the total amount of nigerians. keep in mind that this equates to about 10 pounds per hour. wayyyy above the minimum wage.
Yes but do they have the right papers? Besides she was referring perhaps off topic to those of British citizens of Nigerian extraction and who have a proper professional job.
However it is true that most Nigerian illegal immigrants are doing security and cleaning jobs.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:16pm On Nov 14, 2010
tensor777:

Yes but do they have the right papers
if they do not have the right papers they will be making like 5 pounds an hour. yes, they have the right papers. you have to remember that the average wage in britain (including white people ) is about 20,000 per annum. and i think this is a very generous estimate but this is what wiki says http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_in_Great_Britain
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ada24: 8:17pm On Nov 14, 2010
buzugee:

yes but you assume that every nigerian in england is doing graduate work. majority of nigerians are doing security work, early morning cleaning, london underground, and driving taxis. the percentage of nigerians that work with their degree in england is quite negligible compared to the total amount of nigerians.

ok my bad - i guess i can only use my own personal experience - i know a lot of nigerians do this but in one of my former companies most of the black people on the graduate scheme were nigerian. like i have already mentioned these are predominately the kids of parents who came here as immigrants but at the same time it is a bit annoying that people think that ALL NIGERIANS are doing menial jobs, not all of us are.

another thing just cos some people are doing this doesn't make them any less of a human being - i have a friend whose mother put her and her siblings thru private school as kids thru doing 2 jobs (trust me even some oyinbo do this) she and her sister are doing extremely well for themselves - should she be looked down upon cos her mum did cleaning back in the 80s or 90s to get them to where she is today? abeg the woman is seriously enjoying now o BIG TIME thru her kids.

tensor777:

Yes but do they have the right papers? Besides she was referring perhaps off topic to those of British citizens of Nigerian extraction and who have a proper professional job.
However it is true that most Nigerian illegal immigrants are doing security and cleaning jobs.

i don't think its that off topic as we are still nigerians - plus if that does exclude british of nigerian extraction then the question should then be asked to my parents generation who moved and gave us the opportunities that i doubt we could have had in nigeria. no as simple as we all think
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 14, 2010
ada24:

ok my bad - i guess i can only use my own personal experience - i know a lot of nigerians do this but in one of my former companies most of the black people on the graduate scheme were nigerian. like i have already mentioned these are predominately the kids of parents who came here as immigrants but at the same time it is a bit annoying that people think that ALL NIGERIANS are doing menial jobs, not all of us are.
Well that is off topic as we are not referring to those born and educated in the West. Maybe most of these guys doing menial jobs just don't have the right set of papers.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:23pm On Nov 14, 2010
ada24:

another thing just cos some people are doing this doesn't make them any less of a human being - i have a friend whose mother put her and her siblings thru private school as kids thru doing 2 jobs (trust me even some oyinbo do this) she and her sister are doing extremely well for themselves - should she be looked down upon cos her mum did cleaning back in the 80s or 90s to get them to where she is today? abeg the woman is seriously enjoying now o BIG TIME thru her kids.

i don't think its that off topic as we are still nigerians - plus if that does exclude british of nigerian extraction then the question should then be asked to my parents generation who moved and gave us the opportunities that i doubt we could have had in nigeria. no as simple as we all think
hun this is nothing against your friends mum or anything but wages in britain are generally low because of the simple fact that the NHS is free, and a lot of things are free. someone earning 20,000 in britain will tell you that they have a good salary.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 8:25pm On Nov 14, 2010
buzugee:

ANd what is the average Salary in Nigeria to make a proper comparison
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2010
tensor777:

Well that is off topic as we are not referring to those born and educated in the West. Maybe most of these guys doing menial jobs just don't have the right set of papers.
like i said. they have the right papers. you have to remember that britain is still a fiercely white country controlled by the old boys network. having papers does not guarantee you success in britain. it however guarantees that you will not fall through the cracks cuz you can claim giro, council tax benefits, housing benefits, free drugs, free healthcare etc etc
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:27pm On Nov 14, 2010
dayokanu:

ANd what is the average Salary in Nigeria to make a proper comparison
i cant help you with that question grin grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 14, 2010
buzugee:

if they do not have the right papers they will be making like 5 pounds an hour. yes, they have the right papers. you have to remember that the average wage in britain (including white people ) is about 20,000 per annum. and i think this is a very generous estimate but this is what wiki says http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_in_Great_Britain
You need to be careful there. There are a lot of professional and technical jobs and vacancies in London for those with the right  papers and qualifications.
However just having a "masters" which a lot of Nigerian overstayers tend to have may not be sufficient in that wise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (34)

Lekki Conservation Centre LCC: An Overview Of The Longest Canopy Walk In Africa / Air Peace Introduces B737-800 New Generation Aircraft Into Its Operations(photos / Helicopter Carrying India's Chief Of Defence Staff, Gen Bipin Rawat Crashes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.