Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? (11109 Views)

The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) / Top 10 Qualities A Good Wife Must Have / Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Radiant(f): 3:43am On Nov 14, 2010
Roymary, sorry to say but you sound like an empty barrel. grin
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by tpia5: 5:57am On Nov 14, 2010
roymary

your post is very contradictory and doesnt really make much sense.

am i missing something?
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by deols(f): 9:31am On Nov 14, 2010
I believe true love exists . . . I see it quite often. . .and am going to find mine! smiley smiley smiley wink
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 14, 2010
deols,keep searching and u'ld find
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by deols(f): 2:44pm On Nov 14, 2010
thanks plenty! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by mojounited(m): 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

I have calmed down a bit. I am still angry. It is just that I have this guy I have been dating and he and I just got out of long term relationships. I will spare you all the details but lets just say he wants me but he doesn't want me. Like he wants me to be his girlfriend but he wants to "explore". He went from being "all mine and wanting me to be all his" to being pissed off and not wanting to talk to me when I refuse to engage in sexual "experiments" or see things the way he sees it. He is Jackyl and Hyde! (the African version angry). I gave up on American men LOONG AGO for their lack of knowing what they want and found my Cameroonian "king" and he turned out to be the biggest arsehole! Seriously when I try to pull away he comes flying and begging but when I devote my time/heart to him he pulls away  cry Do not get me wrong he can be a sweet heart but he loves women too much, he has wandering eyes and I haven't caught him cheating but i can "feel it" I am sure Fellis can attest to it when I say it's that "woman's intuition".

*the jacked up part is that HE approached me! He literally chased me down to get my attention! And I went against my better judgment (just getting out of a 2 yr relationship) and gave him a shot. When he is not tripping he is the BEST but this is our first big fall out and I am pissed!

^^Ehya! I quite understand how you feel; being devoted and commited by giving your time and heart in this regard. However, I think you already know what the problem is/where it lies . . . you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you the s3x is lacking in your relationship and your "Cameroonian king" wishes to cure his craze with someone else since you've denied him what he may have considered his (depending on how long you guys have been dating ) - This is why some marriages fail. From your post, it is evident that your king still loves you no doubt (considering every other quality you've got bar s3x) but just intends to get a one off kitty since that's what you can't offer. Naturally teenagers grow more sexual hormones and tend to experience high libido (I don't have any link to prove this, but it's known to be a fact). . .

PS - Most guys woulda chopped a kitty outside, cleaned their mouth and pretended that all is well . . . Unless I've failed to understand your real intent by using the words "explore" and "experiment", I think your king has showed concern and trusted that sharing his problem with you may just pop a solution but you ended up letting him down and calling him a "big arsehole!" shocked My dear, you know the problem . . . now go find the solution and keep you and your king happy (sometimes, true love is sacrifice) else give him the boot and hope that you'll hook up with a monk someday, that's, if all else fails. Sometimes, one wonders how long term relationships (2-3 yrs) survive without enjoyable s3x.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by harakiri(m): 4:41pm On Nov 14, 2010
Radiant:

Harakiri, I beg to defer. True love does exist and it is unconditional. It might not be reciprocated but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's just a matter of the right people meeting each other.

If you believe that, then you're living in fantasy island. Look, EVERYTHING and every situation we find ourselves in life is conditional."Love" is no exception. I'll explain. . .

Let's assume you're in love ( or probably married) and someone asks you what makes you love this particular man.You're typical response would be "i love him because he does this and that, he is kind and generous, he is handsome, he is this and that". All these are the CONDITIONS that trigger your love for him.When those conditions disappear, the love dies a natural death. It's a universal law that works for everyone with no exceptions.

If there is anything such as "unconditional love", then why are the most loving couples divorcing themselves at astronomical rates?

Get back to the real world sister.

Nuff said!
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by harakiri(m): 4:54pm On Nov 14, 2010
mutter:

Harakiri I do not ant to derail too far from this topic but to answer you directly. True love is no based on factors but on qualities that a person has and these do not fade,
The major problem most men have is that they do not respect women. When you do not respect woman, you cannot love her. No one can love what he does not respect or hold in high esteem.It is a shame that the African male has been reduced to this because this is the break down of the society that we are facilitating. It is not I but rather you that have been influenced by the propaganda without even knowing it.

Okay. . .

Let's assume the qualities the guy had used to be "being nice, caring,affectionate,a good listener,forgiving to a fault,generous and so on" and along the line, he changes to something else.What happens then? Or have you forgotten that nothing in life remains constant? People change all the time. And the "factors" also include the qualities. I wasn't just referring to the physical factors alone but also the moral.

Once again, when the CONDITIONS that triggered the feelings of "love" fades, the love dies a natural death.

Simple equation.

Furthermore, i don't understand all this talk about respect for women. From time immemorial, men have always respected women and women have always according men their due respect.The problem with people like you is that you have no idea what you really want or what it is exactly that you want.Today it's love and affection, tomorrow it's freedom and equality, next tomorrow you want him to hold your hands, next week you want ionized goats milk

Na wa oooo
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Nov 14, 2010
mojounited:

^^Ehya! I quite understand how you feel; being devoted and commited by giving your time and heart in this regard. However, I think you already know what the problem is/where it lies . . . you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you the s3x is lacking in your relationship and your "Cameroonian king" wishes to cure his craze with someone else since you've denied him what he may have considered his (depending on how long you guys have been dating ) - This is why some marriages fail. From your post, it is evident that your king still loves you no doubt (considering every other quality you've got bar s3x) but just intends to get a one off kitty since that's what you can't offer. Naturally teenagers grow more sexual hormones and tend to experience high libido (I don't have any link to prove this, but it's known to be a fact). . .

PS - Most guys woulda chopped a kitty outside, cleaned their mouth and pretended that all is well . . . Unless I've failed to understand your real intent by using the words "explore" and "experiment", I think your king has showed concern and trusted that sharing his problem with you may just pop a solution but you ended up letting him down and calling him a "big arsehole!" shocked My dear, you know the problem . . . now go find the solution and keep you and your king happy (sometimes, true love is sacrifice) else give him the boot and hope that you'll hook up with a monk someday, that's, if all else fails. Sometimes, one wonders how long term relationships (2-3 yrs) survive without enjoyable s3x.

Actually I do not want a "monk" (cute sarcasm angry) I just want my guy to be understanding. We both work and I go to school at the same time. We do not live together but our hours made it kind of hard for us to see each other so I made sacrifices so that we could spend more time together. As for s, ex he gets plenty of it from me! (3x or more each day we see each other cheesy) He is 24 and I am 21 so the s, ex drive is there but he's just trying to mentally control me while he can rip and run wild. I am shocked that I am even having to write about him like this because he went from being "perfect" to being someone I barely even know. He told me he doesn't respect men who run around and how in his country having multiple partners and not being married to them "polygamy" is looked down upon but yet all he wants is s, ex and "space". He told me if I ever cheated on him he would be so pissed and blah blaah but yet he chooses his mom over me, goes over to her house which happens to be in the same neighborhood as his ex's and when hes over there it is hard to contact him. But yet if i miss his call he has a fit. I am not sure I want to continue because I feel like no matter how good a woman is to her man he will never appreciate it. Anyway enough ranting and putting my business on here. lipsrsealed
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by buzugee(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2010
Radiant:

I think the key point here is "learn to let things go". I would hug you if I could see you right now. smiley smiley smiley
* hugs Radiant * grin yummy
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by buzugee(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2010
tpia@:

dangerous advice generally speaking.

being ugly is no guarantee a man will make a good husband.

neither extreme-too ugly or too handsome- is enough to keep a man, in itself.

some ugly men are the worst players imaginable.
hey your odds of a more dedicated husband is better with someone who looks as good as you. like my boy too short always says 'get in where you fit in'
there is a reason why people coin the phrase 'she is not in his league' or 'he is not in her league' . these are subtle ways of letting you know that you need to get in your lane.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nimshi: 7:09pm On Nov 14, 2010
"Unconditional love"??

Even God does not love anyone unconditionally.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nimshi: 7:11pm On Nov 14, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

. . . but he's just trying to mentally control me while he can rip and run wild. . . (Emphasis added)

A smart lady has figured it out . . .

But, as is usual in these cases, figuring it all out seldom leads to the appropriate actions to arrest the development . . .

Humans . .
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by roymary: 7:29pm On Nov 14, 2010
Radiant:

Roymary, sorry to say but you sound like an empty barrel. grin

Chei, you have finished me! Whats the big deal Ma'm? Are you going to tell me why you think i sound like an empty barrel? Oh no, you are too harsh , and i can't stand temperamental women, You sound like one.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by roymary: 7:40pm On Nov 14, 2010
tpia@:

roymary

your post is very contradictory and doesnt really make much sense.

am i missing something?

Yes, you must have missed a whole lot. It really doesn't have to make sense to you; Not all women does makes sense to men; but we simply try to understand is all.

You still have the opportunity to ask questions; i'll try to elaborate on it.

BTW my comments goes beyond simply keeping your men but more on understanding mens world. We understand women's relentless requests and nags but we try to live with it.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by ollybosieb: 8:05pm On Nov 14, 2010
roymary:

Yes, you must have missed a whole lot. It really doesn't have to make sense to you; Not all women does makes sense to men; but we simply try to understand is all.

You still have the opportunity to ask questions; i'll try to elaborate on it.

BTW my comments goes beyond simply keeping your men but more on understanding mens world. We understand women's relentless requests and nags but we try to live with it.
mojounited:

True talk .
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by ollybosieb: 8:08pm On Nov 14, 2010
harakiri:

If you believe that, then you're living in fantasy island. Look, EVERYTHING and every situation we find ourselves in life is conditional."Love" is no exception. I'll explain. . .

Let's assume you're in love ( or probably married) and someone asks you what makes you love this particular man.You're typical response would be "i love him because he does this and that, he is kind and generous, he is handsome, he is this and that". All these are the CONDITIONS that trigger your love for him.When those conditions disappear, the love dies a natural death. It's a universal law that works for everyone with no exceptions.

If there is anything such as "unconditional love", then why are the most loving couples divorcing themselves at astronomical rates?

Nuff said!

True talk
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by drmoney: 8:19pm On Nov 14, 2010
@ Poster.
If you do all you have highlighted above, you reduce the chances of getting the proverbial rude shock you fear.
Imagine not being a good wife, then the outcome can only be imagined.
We really strive hard to be good men too, especially when we have GOOD WIVES at home.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 15, 2010
Nimshi:

A smart lady has figured it out . . .

But, as is usual in these cases, figuring it all out seldom leads to the appropriate actions to arrest the development . . .

Humans . .

lol. yeah i guess. i literally just finished talking to him. i actually overreacted and made an arse out of myself so I am going to give it a shot. I am still going to watch it though because I refuse to be someone's "controlled pet". So in essence you are right about us "humans".

@topic i still believe that men are ungrateful and in need to be studied because of their spontaneous nature unfortunately as alot of you have witnessed from me, a lot of women although strong have periods in which we break down and want to give up. They say women are hard to understand and I beg to differ. A woman wants a man who can make her feel secure and is willing to be her "king" so long as she is positive that she is "queen" by being appreciated and loved. Men on the other hand I guess are used to women behaving in the extreme that they almost expect it and therefore when they get a woman who is understanding and caring it is almost as if it isnt real. They have to nearly lose their woman to appreciate what and who she is.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Radiant(f): 6:03am On Nov 15, 2010
harakiri:

Nuff said!

I agree you talk a lot to prove a point but Mister, true love which is unconditional does exist. In my post I said "true love does exist and it is unconditional. It might not be reciprocated but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

May be you should pray to experience it then you would understand.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Radiant(f): 6:05am On Nov 15, 2010
buzugee:

* hugs Radiant *  grin yummy

You bet  wink grin
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 15, 2010
shocked shocked shocked My free time has become so decimated that i now regularly miss good threads as this to at least RANT! After having canvassed the length and breath of relationships (to the best of my ability without compromising my health and morals . . .), i have arrived at 3 conclusions:

1. A marriage based 100% on love is DOOMED TO FAIL. Marriage is as much about love as it is about a RATIONAL, WISE business investment.

2. It is far better to be a single man than to be with a woman who has NOTHING beyond sex and her looks to contribute to your life.

3. There is no perfect woman anywhere.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 6:09am On Nov 15, 2010
Golden rule to a fail-proof marriage (if your randy ways dont ruin it anyway) . . . marry your BEST FRIEND! Ever find that woman that you can be 150% free with? Who you want to call the minute anything happens to you? The woman you always want to exchange some bit of gossip with? The woman you can yab (and she can yab you back) in good faith without tension and feelings of disrespect?

Well you just found urself a wife! goodluck.

Anything else . . . OYO.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Eretare(m): 7:52am On Nov 15, 2010
Don't make the nice things you do become a routine. Do things differently once in a while. Surprise him, challenge him and also take interest in the things he enjoys. You'll then get to spend more time with him and maybe, just maybe keep him fully for yourself.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by abereoje(m): 8:32am On Nov 15, 2010
Marriage is an institution established by God. It is imperative that God should be the bedrock and solid foundation of our marriage. when there is challenge in a marriage which definitely is bound to happen from time to time, it is the responsibility of the couple or either of the party to draw help from God. A wife/husband as a priority to observing the moral obligation and duties expected of him/her in marriage should endeavour to commit the spouse to the almighty.

A praying wife will always keep her husband no matter how stormy it may look. Even if the husband is wayward, rather than naggin or going into fruitless dispute that ould even harden the man, a woman should turn attention to God who has the heart of a man in his hand. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME, THE HUBBY WILL COME BACK TO HER.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Radiant(f): 8:49am On Nov 15, 2010
abereoje:

Marriage is an institution established by God. It is imperative that God should be the bedrock and solid foundation of our marriage. when there is challenge in a marriage which definitely is bound to happen from time to time, it is the responsibility of the couple or either of the party to draw help from God. A wife/husband as a priority to observing the moral obligation and duties expected of him/her in marriage should endeavour to commit the spouse to the almighty.

A praying wife will always keep her husband no matter how stormy it may look. Even if the husband is wayward, rather than naggin or going into fruitless dispute that ould even harden the man, a woman should turn attention to God who has the heart of a man in his hand. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME, THE HUBBY WILL COME BACK TO HER.

As long as the man behaves the same way if reverse was the case then your post is valid. Marriage involves two people so there's nothing like "fruitless disputes" if a man or woman is wayward. Human beings are not toilets that don't have feelings and would 'swallow' whatever that is pushed down it.

Let's learn to respect each other and work towards a good relationship or marriage. It's only fair to do so. I wonder why it's so difficult. Enough of expecting so much from women while the men just punk about.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 15, 2010
davidylan:

3. There is no perfect woman anywhere.

This got to be the best quote in Nairaland for the year running but that gets me into a doubt if at all i'ld be a happy man years frm today cos i jxt dream for a 'perfect' wife.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by Radiant(f): 8:52am On Nov 15, 2010
El Guapo:

This got to be the best quote in Nairaland for the year running but that gets me into a doubt if at all i'ld be a happy man years frm today cos i jxt dream for a 'perfect' wife.

Are you perfect?
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by oyinda3(f): 8:55am On Nov 15, 2010
Radiant:

Are you perfect?

hahaha nice come back. lol

sometimes, men don't want a perfect wife. there was a thread here early this year or so about a guy complaining that his gf is too perfect!!! shocked shocked i don't understand it.
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by kaybee2ng(m): 9:10am On Nov 15, 2010
Well Being A Good Wife Does Not Guarantee That Your Man Would Not Cheat But It May Reduce The Chances Of Not Cheating To May Be 25%. That Is If Your Husband Is Not A Born Flirt, Those Type Of Men Are Limited Edition. There Is Just Nothing U Can Do
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by oyinda3(f): 9:17am On Nov 15, 2010
kaybee2ng:

Well Being A Good Wife Does Not Guarantee That Your Man Would Not Cheat But It May Reduce The Chances Of Not Cheating To May Be 25%. That Is If Your Husband Is Not A Born Flirt, Those Type Of Men Are Limited Edition. There Is Just Nothing U Can Do

hahahaha. most women know beforehand whether or not the guy they are about to marry is a flirt. right?
i agree the ones that aren't are limited edition. lol
Re: Is Being A "good" Wife Enough To Keep A Man ? by SALady(f): 10:08am On Nov 15, 2010
@poster I have to say that I am afraid but there is no book in the first place, otherwise our foregrandmothers would have long aced this test and only for us to raise the bar, thereby keeping our men extra happy.

I think the best recipe is in being yourself. Men loves and stays with us because its what they want to do. You don't have to perform any extraordinary miracles to keep him, in fact I believe the only reason he stays with you is because you being yourself makes him comfortable in who he is and makes life a lot easier for him that way.

Please forget the dream of keeping a man, I swear on my grandfather's grave no man wants to be kept, he just wants the freedom to be himself, and when that time comes for him to leave just say goodbye and maybe thank him for the good run you both had. Yes! there'll be tears but sometimes in life we have to hang on to memories of the good times, its what keeps us going, it is what reminds us of our worth.

Truth is, you haven't lived until you've been to yourself, once you've gone through that phase in life you will then realise that no particular person is worth more than your sacred place, its your source of life. You will also learn just how much you yourself don't want to be kept, but would rather "BE". Now mind the "BE" because this is the part you are absolutely entitled to and you can do whatever the hell you want to do with it. The trick is to spend it wisely. My advice is that you must think quality and not quantity.

You cant keep stuff that doesn't want to be kept, it tends to misbehave just to get the point across and that's not nice. Allow people to "BE" with you only if its what they want to do and you feel the same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? / If You Had Your Way, At What Age Will You Like To Get Married / Is My Wife The Devil's Agent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.