Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,380 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters (27975 Views)

Shina Peters: "I Have Slept With 100 Women" / Omawumi, Shina Peters, Tony Tetuila, Waje & More At American Honey’s 90’s Party / Picture Of Dele Momodu, Chris Okotie And Shina Peters In The 90s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Ymodulus: 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2010
truly the guy dey empty
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by ElRazur: 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2010
rhymz:

Elrazu take it or leave it Shina Peters goofed with that statement and in comparison he is more medicre than 2face. Forget whether he sings in a live band and Tuface sings in a studio, those are factors attributable to their time, in terms of who has achieved more with thier styles and talents, Tuface is like a rocket years ahead.  Music content, SP was not any better, his lyrics were just as petty as 2face's, popularity and better songs and albums Tuface shyts on him like hot. So what is the fuss all about him being a legend or you are trying to equate being a legend to only just a function of the time they started alone? Abeg forget all these embelishment jare, SSP was just as average in terms of talent as Tuface but the latter was prolific in his achievement with his talent.

Opinions are not a statement of fact. Sorry.

How can Tuface be ahead, when Shina arguably laid the path he now walks?

The same issue I see from the Hammer and Jay Z thread is now here again.

CD was not mainstream when shina dropped his album. He recordings were on Cassette. So obviously, Tuface will have more exposure more than him. Internet and what not was not common place during shina time so Tuface will be known etc.  I think those point are not necessarily a good comparison as it leaves Shina at a disadvantage.

The fact remains shina is widely regarded when Nigeria's music is being discussed. Take it or leave it.

Also I mentioned in my first post that I will like to see the full interview before I give a view. From all what we know, Shina is not good with speaking English etc. Things may have also been taken out of context too.

How come the media never printed all the interview? Abi na all he talk was "Tuface is empty" and the interview ended there? Abeg think about it well well jare.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Ranoscky(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2010
ElRazur:

The fact remains shina is widely regarded when Nigeria's music is being discussed. Take it or leave it.

Yes, agreed. But I think it's durin his era and not now. And also not to be compared with 2face.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2010
ElRazur:

So if you think Shina ended up with a fast paced "Juju-type sound". I guess using your logic,It is fair to say ended Fela ended up with "A high tempo Jazz sound with African chants".   Please listen to early jazz to get an idea.    Again, Fela and Shina are two different artist who express their music differently in different Genre, to compare them both is like Comparing Apala with Drum and Bass style of music. Wtf man.

Holy Christus . . .

Peter tried to invent a car that walks on water . . . he did.

James also tried to invent a hydraulic material that prevents a car from getting smashed in an accident but ended up with one that only reduces the impact . . .

What is the difference between Peter and James??

Only that Majority is said to "win" the vote. All men may not have manliness, but heck I do and so are majority.

Ok, well you're free to follow your "majority" then . . . just that I even wonder who this "majority" are . . . are they your kinsmen??

You have a d[/i]ic[i]k?? You really do??  shocked grin

That's good enough for me. Shina is rated by more people than one bloke on the net taking shots. I will take the view of others over yours.

Who rated him?? Forbes or what rating agency?? Well, just phucking with you man but I ask again: What data are you relying on??

Edris, to be honest is irrelevant to the debate at hand. Elvis can dance, so can Boy George, heck anyone can dance. Whether they dance well is something else. What exactly is your point?  shocked

I don't understand this bit . . . and the main subject is not even dance . . . it's just a minor part of it.

Technically? Are you kidding me? Shina plays multi-instrument. Guitar and Keyboard being one. He makes his music and beats the hard way without the use of fruityloops and those computer generated sounds and you think Tuface is more technical? Jesus. Okay.

Give 2face the instruments and watch him tear up the roof . . . Shina might be a good instrumentalist, Abraham Laboriel, Alex Acuna and some others are - but they'll never come out to claim that they're good singers.

Figure of speech sir.

Nah . . . I'll prefer "Impediment of speech"  tongue

Listen, it is well known that he rocked the scene at the peak of his career. It is just not true to say otherwise is my point.

Look, call it shifting post or whatever again . . . play any Shina Peters song for me and I'll dance . . . I know his songs well, from the "Ace" era to "Experience" and what-not . . . he's a good entertainer, but he ain't a good singer.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Gspot(m): 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2010
he is a bigggggggggg
fooooooooool for making such
useless statement to gain such
cheap publicity. if he says
tuface is empty then HE IS
FILLED WITH RUBBISH. OLD MAN
WHO CANT EVEN STAND UP TO
CLARENCE PETERS THE ONE SON HE
HAD WITH CLARION CHUKWURAH
AND ALMOST DENIED HIM. NOW THE
BOY IS SUCCESSFUL WITH MUSIC
VIDEO DIRECTING AND HE IS
RUNNING MOUTH IN THE PRESS
SAYING ''MY SON IS A GIFT I GAVE
THE ENTERTAINMENT
INDUSTRY'', FOOL
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by ElRazur: 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2010
Ranoscky:

Yes, agreed. But I think it's durin his era and not now. And also not to be compared with 2face.

' not sure I mentioned anything like that

I am saying if history is being written about the evolution of music in naija. Shina will have a few pages dedicated to him if he do not get a whole chapter.

Tuface and Shina are talented, but whether Tuface will have the same almost-legendary status attached to Shina right now remains to be seen. Let us see how the next 10 or 15 years pans out for Tuface.

Bamsyle.:

Who rated him?? Forbes or what rating agency?? Well, just phucking with you man but I ask again: What data are you relying on??

I won't indulge in your weakening emotions so, pardon me if some of your replies are chopped off.

"History of Music in Africa" Featured on BBC three. Reference was made to Shina (This was aired last year)

Give 2face the instruments and watch him tear up the roof . . . Shina might be a good instrumentalist, Abraham Laboriel, Alex Acuna and some others are - but they'll never come out to claim that they're good singers.

You are just going round. The point is anyone who can play instrument will know that it requires dexterity and a technical mind. Shina had all of those, and to now claim Tuface is more technical with little substance to back it up other than "watch him tear the roof up" is a joke.  

Shina is proficient at playing Keyboard - Not touch play like you have in a music studio. He plays a leading guitarist with his band - This requires very good ears and coordination abilities. etc (All of these are technical attributes)

Look, call it shifting post or whatever again . . . play any Shina Peters song for me and I'll dance . . . I know his songs well, from the "Ace" era to "Experience" and what-not . . . he's a good entertainer, but he ain't a good singer.

With all due respect. Tuface is rarely an Entertainer, but I will group him as such. Shina on the other hand Sings well. He was singing from a young age following the likes of Prince Segun Adewale (If this goes over your head, look him up. He is another legend that you probably know nothing about) and co, so he will understand a thing or two about singing than Tuface.

Shina had no autotune or pitch correcting software. He sang with passion in his music etc. So yeah, FOR ME Shina is probably the better singer.

1 Like

Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by gozzilla(m): 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2010
Empty? How na?
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by spikedcylinder: 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2010
What, is he also trying to create beef? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by qunleajayi(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2010
When somebody says another is empty, I think he is talking about substance. Am not saying SSP is right or wrong but I think SSP has a right to talk, sha,

WHAT RIGHT HAS SSP TO TALK
1) SSP is a solid musician, plays the electric guitar, drums and keyboard. He was a backup voice and instrumentalist to many of the earlier musicians.

2) He is a crossover artist, able to sell his music across 3 generations. He made a fantastic comeback in the 90s with about 4 or 5 successive No 1s on the Nigerian music chart, with his own unique music. It was indeed the 1st time that a Nigerian local language genre was topping charts against foriegn and local funk, hiphop  etc

3) Shina Peters blew everybody, even Sunny Ade away. It is on record that all juju artists had NO ANSWER to SSP's Ace Album.

4) SSP is a human being, he has a fundamental right to his opinion

WHAT CONTENT IS HE TALKING ABOUT?
1) We need to ask this question, musically what style is Tuface playing, and whether the music is consistent enough to have its own genre? Is it Reggae, Hiphop, Juju, Calypso, hi-life or what?

2) What is the message of Tuface's song? Are they political, motivational, love songs, chant or what?

3) Which chart-buster has Tuface released that has threatened any living musician? How many songs has Tuface got that are No 1 even on Ray power?

4) In another 20 years, after this generation of Tu-face lovers are grown up, will any Tu-face song be able to be enjoyed by other people?

EXPECTATIONS
The older generation of any profession has an expectation of the younger. With the kind of fame that Tuface  has gathered, what has he done to uplift the people around him?

Take a cue from Okocha or Kanu Nwankwo, and compare their contribution to Tuface's. Tuface must show his content in other matters other than baby-making.

Please I need Tuface fans who know the answers to reply me, o. I no abuse anybody, make una no abuse me o.

1 Like

Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by SSaemoenl(m): 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2010
Wait, I dont understand the kind of emptiness he is talking about! Can someone explain more. Confused.com wink
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2010
sir shina should go n sit down,
can anyone get me a sit for him?
grin
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by nodullin(m): 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2010
he is empty!! and he has won several awards,
MTV, channel o, kora, hip-hop world, etc etc,
Neva mind SSP & all dem haters!!!!! grin grin grin grin
wink wink wink
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 4:09pm On Nov 12, 2010
ElRazur:

I won't indulge in your weakening emotions so, pardon me if some of your replies are chopped off.

Mr ElRazur, in a debate, when will you learn to just open your mouth, speak up, shut it when you're done and wait for another chance to say more when the opportunity comes again??

The way you keep referring to "goal posts", "weak emotions", "age" and what-not in here, you cut the picture of a sissy . . . and I say that with modesty.

"History of Music in Africa" Featured on BBC three. Reference was made to Shina (This was aired last year)

What's the relevance of this bit?? The fact that Methusela was reported in the Bible as having attained millenia in age did nothing to Bible History . . . going by the reports from the Scriptures, he came, begat and left the scene . . . how does that relate with being good at a craft??

Have 2face and a lot of other Nigerian acts not appeared on BBC or even CNN??

You are just going round. The point is anyone who can play instrument will know that it requires dexterity and a technical mind. Shina had all of those, and to now claim Tuface is more technical with little substance to back it up other than "watch him tear the roof up" is a joke.

Relax, breathe easy and understand what I said - I've never criticized SSP's dexterity on instruments here . . . I only said he ain't a good singer.

In the field of singing . . . in vocal renditions generally, 2face beats him hands down, legs up, belly flat . . . insert the rest  tongue

Shina is proficient at playing Keyboard - Not touch play like you have in a music studio. He plays a leading guitarist with his band - This requires very good ears and coordination abilities. etc (All of these are technical attributes)

So does Carlos Santana . . . but technically speaking, I doubt that Santana will ever come out to say "Chris Brown is empty" . . .

With all due respect. Tuface is rarely an Entertainer, but I will group him as such. Shina on the other hand Sings well. He was singing from a young age following the likes of Prince Segun Adewale (If this goes over your head, look him up. He is another legend that you probably know nothing about) and co, so he will understand a thing or two about singing than Tuface.

Agreed that 2face ain't an entertainer . . . Shina is . . . Shina ain't a good singer . . . and his entertainment value doesn't give him any edge over 2face.

And you must really think your mention of "Segun Adewale" was an excellent idea, copyrighted by you in this thread . . . you'll do well to go and read some of my comments on page 1, where I had already mentioned that name . . . forget it ElRazur, I dunno of other subjects, but if it's Music History, you ain't got nutin new to teach me.

Shina had no autotune or pitch correcting software. He sang with passion in his music etc. So yeah, FOR ME Shina is probably the better singer.

And 2face uses autotune, right?? Or you're the engineer who corrects his pitch?? Erm, I forgot that 2face doesn't sing with a passion . . .  tongue

For a dude who churned out soulful and yet meaningful songs like "One Love", "See Me So", "True Love", "African Queen (yeah yeah Blackface composed the lyrics, what else d'you have to say??  tongue)", etc . . . are you not forgetting stuff in a hurry??
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 4:17pm On Nov 12, 2010
@Eldee

I got your message . . . my apologies mahn.

Done! cheesy
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by jamesugo: 4:20pm On Nov 12, 2010
Wetin Shina dey talk sef.which kind empty him mean?
shee 2 face no sabi sing again abi shee because him dey give himself to babes 2much.i want understand b4 i say anything
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by mystikal(m): 4:20pm On Nov 12, 2010
Senility.
Wonders if his (Shina) predecessors ever labelled him empty? And of all the Artists to pick on, it had 2 be Tuface. If 2face is empty, D'Banj is a bottomless pit then.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by kemisuga(f): 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2010
@ Comments grin grin grin grin grin wink
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2010
mystikal:

. . . If 2face is empty, D'Banj is a bottomless pit then.

grin grin grin

Wait till D'Banj's fans come here to dismember your joints, bones and sinews  grin grin
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by bababuff(m): 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2010
which one be Sikira Sikira?
The wordings were, "dig it right", "dig it left", oya were were kia mosa.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by buzugee(m): 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2010
never quite understood the whole hoopla about tuface and p square and all those guys. their music sucks. their persona is forced. etc etc. the only current nigerian musician i will pay money to go see is this guy. watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcdTIaPmytY

and as per shina saying tuface is empty, what he prolly means is that their is no depth to tuface. an analogy will be chuck d or rakim saying that souljah boy is empty.
 or celine dion saying that britney spears is empty.

one is a legend, that was a superstar when people actually played real music with instruments, the other is a star in the era of computer manufactured music. big difference
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by buzugee(m): 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2010
no dullin:

he is empty!! and he has won several awards,
MTV, channel o, kora, hip-hop world, etc etc,
Neva mind SSP & all dem haters!!!!! grin grin grin grin
wink wink wink
souljah boy and justin bieber have won many awards too , awards are a popularity contest not skill contest.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Ladytemi(f): 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2010
What is his reasoning for calling Tuface empty. If he has no rational reason, then he is simply just coming across as a jealous man, ur time has passed pls let someone else have their own time to shine.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Tunisque(m): 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2010
This is an opportunity for you to own a home close to the prophet,  and also to invest into the future. Buy into Garden of Eden Estate, Simawa behind Redemption Camp at a very cheap price of N380,000.00 only https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=521891.msg7124017#msg7124017
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2010
bababuff:

grin grin grin

It was prolly the way Shina pronounced it  grin

buzugee:

never quite understood the whole hoopla about tuface . . . their music sucks. their persona is forced. etc etc.

I would like you to explain how 2face's music "sucks" or his persona is "forced"?? He might have baby momma issues amongst others but technically speaking, let's give credits where they're due . . . I've seen him perform live n acappella and honestly, this dude is a raw talent.

Lyrically, he also makes meaningful songs, so I dunno how his music "sucks".

and as per shina saying tuface is empty, what he prolly means is that their is no depth to tuface. an analogy will be chuck d or rakim saying that souljah boy is empty.

No depth?? He might have appeared in an era when digital music is the order of the day, but can you blame him?? There's a time and a chance to everyone and everything . . . and even with the fact that he's going digital like everyone else, why does he stand out amongst his peers??

SSP can never be the equivalent of Chuck D or Rakim here . . . and 2face ain't no Soulja Boy . . . how does SSP tower above 2face in "lyrical substance" or even technically speaking?? They both belong to different eras and if you wanna blame 2face for going digital, blame the era and not the artiste.

one is a legend, that was a superstar when people actually played real music with instruments, the other is a star in the era of computer manufactured music. big difference

Pray, tell me what it takes to be called a legend??

Who talks about Shina Peters these days?? On the other hand, folks still talk about KSA, Obey (even years after relinquishing his secular music for a pastoral calling), Orlando Owoh (though dead), Fela (also dead), IK Dairo (also dead) . . . these are folks who excelled in the area of lyrics and melody/rhythm . . . their words are like those of a sage . . . I just can't see Shina Peters on that list.

No one is disclaiming the fact that he plays instruments, I'm just saying that doesn't mean he's a better musician than 2face in the overall sense . . . one is a performing artiste/instrumentalist but not a good singer, the other is a recording artiste/good singer, though not an entertainer . . . and, SSP shouldn't be the one to point out 2face's defects - technically or morally.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by iaabc(f): 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2010
bababuff:

i don laff tire. Sikira, sikira,  grin grin grin grin
buzugee:

never quite understood the whole hoopla about tuface and p square and all those guys. their music sucks. their persona is forced. etc etc. the only current nigerian musician i will pay money to go see is this guy. watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcdTIaPmytY

quite agree
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by veraponpo(m): 4:56pm On Nov 12, 2010
HOW ON EARTH? SHINA CALLING TUBABA EMPTY! I DIE. AWARDS ALONE. SHINA'S NAME CANNOT BE MENTIONED. ALBUM SALES, HE DID NOT SELL EVEN A MILLLION COPIES, POPULARITY- HE WAS KNOWN ONLY IN THE SOUTH WEST, COLLABORATION- HE ONLY DID FEW ONES. WHERE ON EARTH CAN HE MATCH MY TUFACE, THE PRIDE OF AFRICA. SOMEONE MENTIONED INSTRUMENTS- THAT IS BY CHOICE. TUFACE IS A PERFOMER AND A SONG WRITER. SHINA CHOSE TO PLAY INSTRUMENT. MICHAEL JACSON COULD NOT PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT, YET THE BEST SO FAR EVEN IN THE DEAD.

COMPARISON:

SHINA: SUCCESSFUL ALBUMS------2

INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION---- 10%

AWARDS-----  I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY.

INTERNATIONAL CONCERTS---- I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY.

LOCAL CONCERTS--- FEW ONES.

COLLABORATION----FEW ONES,

TYPE OF MUSIC----- JUJU(LOCAL SONG).

MONEY-- HE HAS ONE HOUSE.

COUNTRIES VISITED--MAY BE 3COUNTRIES

TUFACE: SUCCESSFUL ALBUMS------3

INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION---- 50% INCLUDING PERFORMING @ THE LAST WORLD CUP,SOUND TRACK IN AN HOLLYWOOD MOVIE, BEING ON THE UK POP CHART,INTERNATIONAL ALBUM,ETC.

AWARDS-----NUMEROUS-MTV,MAMA,KORA,WORLD MUSIC AWARD,MOBO,AMA,HIP HOP AWARD,ETC

INTERNATIONAL CONCERTS----UNCOUNTABLE

LOCAL CONCERTS--- UNCOUNTABLE
COLLABORATION----UNCOUNTABLE IN NIGERIA AND AFRICA INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL ARTISTES LIKE WYCLEF,MARY J BLIGGE, MONLISA BRIGGS,WYRE,SWAY,BENIN MAN,ETC

TYPE OF MUSIC-----REGGAE,HI HOP,R&B, ROCK,ETC

MONEY-- HE HAS KNOWN 3 HOUSES IN LAGOS,ABUJA,BENUE AND A HOTEL IN ABUJA.

COUNTRIES VISITED--- OVER 100 COUNTRIES.

GROUPS- PART OF ONE8, A PAN AFRICA GROUP ON SONNY RECORDS, RECENTLY THEY DROP A SINGLE HANDS ACROSS THE WORLD WITH R. KELLY.

BY ALL STANDARDS OF MUSIC AND ACHIVEMENT, TUFACE IS A LEGEND COMPARED TO LOCAL SHINA PETERS(A SINGER WITH NO GOOD LYRICS) MORALLY, HE HIS WAS THAN TUFACE-HE SPOILED (INDIRECTLY FUNMI MARTINS' LIFE),IMPREGNATED BUT ABANDONED CLARION CHUKWURA, DIVORCED DIFFERENT WOMEN.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by ElRazur: 5:01pm On Nov 12, 2010
Bamsyle.:

Mr ElRazur, in a debate, when will you learn to just open your mouth, speak up, shut it when you're done and wait for another chance to say more when the opportunity comes again??

The way you keep referring to "goal posts", "weak emotions", "age" and what-not in here, you cut the picture of a sissy . . . and I say that with modesty.

You mean, I should play along with your emotions that is getting weaker and what not. Sorry, I am calling a spade, a spade. Half of your replies bears nothing to the debate at hand hence why I chopped them off. If that struck a nerve, trying making your post relevant instead of beating about the bush.

What's the relevance of this bit?? The fact that Methusela was reported in the Bible as having attained millenia in age did nothing to Bible History . . . going by the reports from the Scriptures, he came, begat and left the scene . . . how does that relate with being good at a craft??

You asked for proof. I gave you one. It was about 3 hours worth of documentary examing music evolution across Africa. When it came to Nigeria, Shina peters was mentioned as one of the people who shaped the music scene. This documentary was done last year. If Shina can get a mention, then he is doing something right. In the same way, the artist you so much put up was not given a mention. I guess that is saying something.

As to whether Tuface gets mentioned in years to come remains to be seen. In the mean time, Shina is down as one of those who contributed to the evolution of music in naija. Deal with it.

Have 2face and a lot of other Nigerian acts not appeared on BBC or even CNN??

See above.

Relax, breathe easy and understand what I said - I've never criticized SSP's dexterity on instruments here . . . I only said he ain't a good singer.

In the field of singing . . . in vocal renditions generally, 2face beats him hands down, legs up, belly flat . . . insert the rest  tongue

So does Carlos Santana . . . but technically speaking, I doubt that Santana will ever come out to say "Chris Brown is empty" . . .

The excellent ability to move goal-post must be an awesome one. YOu said "the issue is that whether morally or technically, he has no standi to say that to 2face."  

I pointed out to you how shina have many technicalities that surpasses that of Tuface, and what did you do? Latched on to something about dexterity? Jesus wept.

Agreed that 2face ain't an entertainer . . . Shina is . . . Shina ain't a good singer . . . and his entertainment value doesn't give him any edge over 2face.

Many people disagree with you on this. Sunny whom you rated speaks in highly of shina (He also made reference to a style he introduced in that same documentary)

And you must really think your mention of "Segun Adewale" was an excellent idea, copyrighted by you in this thread . . . you'll do well to go and read some of my comments on page 1, where I had already mentioned that name . . . forget it ElRazur, I dunno of other subjects, but if it's Music History, you ain't got nutin new to teach me.

Please start acting like one who is "in the know".  smiley  Only an ignorant mind makes such a bold statement. But yeah, if you say so jare. Your prerogative, not mine.

And 2face uses autotune, right?? Or you're the engineer who corrects his pitch?? Erm, I forgot that 2face doesn't sing with a passion . . .  tongue

A thing or two you may not know about me, I am into music production as a hobby and over at the music section I have posted one or two things in the past. My point? Tuface's track is heavily engineered to appeal to the autotune generation. Shina had no luxury of those in his days (apart from reverb and a bit of high, mid and low gain on Eq)

For a dude who churned out soulful and yet meaningful songs like "One Love", "See Me So", "True Love", "African Queen (yeah yeah Blackface composed the lyrics, what else d'you have to say??  tongue)", etc . . . are you not forgetting stuff in a hurry??

[b]OMG you got me there! **Insert roll eyes here** The shock that a modern day musician writes his own material is news? Jesus fuckkking Bleep me. Here allow me to break it down for you. Remember how you claim I have nothing to teach you? Here, learn this now:

Tuface's tracks are recorded in multiple takes and then combined for that "Perfect cut".

Tuface's tracks are maximum an average of 5 mins long (radio play edit)

Tuface works with the best producer out there for most of his records. In the words of Nas, but a bitchhh on a bomb beat and she will go platinum.

In comparison to Shina - His tracks are about 10-15 mins long (Hence why it is called LP Long play) and all done in one cut. Meaning, there is no room for error.

He composes the music (there is a difference between writing lyrics and actually composing music sir), write his own lyrics, he acts as a "conductor" while orchestrating the whole band, he worked with one of the least known music producer then "Dudu music" using mostly analogue stuff - Instruments fed into mixer and then a Digital audio tape.

You see, Shina did it the way people like me will respect him. Whereas, while I respect Tuface too, he is however not in the same league that I place shina. [/b]

Shina's music speaks for itself.

(But I am guessing you know all of these and need nothing to learn)
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by buzugee(m): 5:13pm On Nov 12, 2010
Bamsyle.:

grin grin grin

It was prolly the way Shina pronounced it  grin

I would like you to explain how 2face's music "sucks" or his persona is "forced"?? He might have baby momma issues amongst others but technically speaking, let's give credits where they're due . . . I've seen him perform live n acappella and honestly, this dude is a raw talent.

Lyrically, he also makes meaningful songs, so I dunno how his music "sucks".

No depth?? He might have appeared in an era when digital music is the order of the day, but can you blame him?? There's a time and a chance to everyone and everything . . . and even with the fact that he's going digital like everyone else, why does he stand out amongst his peers??

SSP can never be the equivalent of Chuck D or Rakim here . . . and 2face ain't no Soulja Boy . . . how does SSP tower above 2face in "lyrical substance" or even technically speaking?? They both belong to different eras and if you wanna blame 2face for going digital, blame the era and not the artiste.

Pray, tell me what it takes to be called a legend??

Who talks about Shina Peters these days?? On the other hand, folks still talk about KSA, Obey (even years after relinquishing his secular music for a pastoral calling), Orlando Owoh (though dead), Fela (also dead), IK Dairo (also dead) . . . these are folks who excelled in the area of lyrics and melody/rhythm . . . their words are like those of a sage . . . I just can't see Shina Peters on that list.

No one is disclaiming the fact that he plays instruments, I'm just saying that doesn't mean he's a better musician than 2face in the overall sense . . . one is a performing artiste/instrumentalist but not a good singer, the other is a recording artiste/good singer, though not an entertainer . . . and, SSP shouldn't be the one to point out 2face's defects - technically or morally.
a legend is someone who can withstand the 20 year test and still be relevant. like say fela, sunny ade, sir shina peters, barry white, luther vandross, ll cool j, jay z etc etc,  your music is so original that even after you are gone people will still jam it and talk about you. all these tuface and p square guys lack originality and quite frankly i think they are riding on the wave of a new crop of  young nigerians who are desperately searching for something to call their own. patrotism is being whipped into nigerians by people like fela durotoye and as a result, home grown musicians are starting to rise from this new wave of patriotism. but i am afraid this is a fad and it will vanish soon enough. what is also promoting this patriotism is that currently the american music scene is dead. they no longer produce world heavyweights like dr dre, snoop canine, jay z, nas, instead they produce crap like drake, souljah boy, lil wayne, gucci mane etc and as a result the people from around the world who used to look to them for their music are now looking inwards

actually let me change that, tuface persona is not forced, he simply does not have any persona. he has a bland personality.

the ones with forced persona are the p square and the naeto c etc etc.

who talks about sir shina peters ? are you serious ? the guy is a household name in nigeria even after 40 years of playing music.
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by jettyleo: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2010
that statement is derogatory and uncivilised.if 2face has collected any of his girlfriend, i think they can settle it amicably in lieu of this unrefined statement.2face, 3 gunshots for you,you too gbaskie.tell that old man of zero integrity to go and get busy
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by me2me: 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2010
i want 2 strongly believe shina was quoted out of context, it wouldn't do at all for artistes to deride themselves in this manner, irrespective of  difference in music, they are both household names ( though 2 face has "more" international recognition). wink
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by Bamsyle2(m): 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2010
ElRazur:

You mean, I should play along with your emotions that is getting weaker and what not. Sorry, I am calling a spade, a spade. Half of your replies bears nothing to the debate at hand hence why I chopped them off. If that struck a nerve, trying making your post relevant instead of beating about the bush.

Emotions getting weaker and weaker?? Hehe, you need to cup your palms over your ears at times and hear yourself before you release some statements into a public domain . . . sorry I have nutin much to say on this bit rather than to say you and Shina Peters have one thing in common - Illiteracy and Cognitive/Communication defects  grin grin grin

You asked for proof. I gave you one. It was about 3 hours worth of documentary examing music evolution across Africa. When it came to Nigeria, Shina peters was mentioned as one of the people who shaped the music scene. This documentary was done last year. If Shina can get a mention, then he is doing something right. In the same way, the artist you so much put up was not given a mention. I guess that is saying something.

When did I ask for your proof??

You have a way of spewing nonsense and at the same time applauding yourself for it . . . I noticed it in the Hammer V. Jay-Z thread.

2face and a lot of other acts of the younger generation have all appeared on BBC so I wonder how that deserves the ringing of bells . . . how many times did Fela appear on BBC before he died??

And if someone is featured as a part of the history of a craft, it means he was once an active player in that craft . . . doesn't mean he's a legend . . . whatever happened to your cognitive abilities??

As to whether Tuface gets mentioned in years to come remains to be seen. In the mean time, Shina is down as one of those who contributed to the evolution of music in naija. Deal with it.

Why not wait for those years to elapse?? In one breath, you're saying people feel Shina ain't relevant cos of his age . . . in another, you don't even want to wait for 2face to get mentioned in the next decade or two . . . you're always in a hurry to nowhere.

The excellent ability to move goal-post must be an awesome one. YOu said "the issue is that whether morally or technically, he has no standi to say that to 2face."   I pointed out to you how shina have many technicalities that surpasses that of Tuface, and what did you do? Latched on to something about dexterity? Jesus wept.

Another case of mumbling soliloquys and then going ahead to applaud yourself for it . . . which technicalities surpass 2face's?? One plays instruments better, the other sings better . . . what's your point??

Many people disagree with you on this. Sunny whom you rated speaks in highly of shina (He also made reference to a style he introduced in that same documentary)

The fact that Goodluck Jonathan or KSA rate Shina highly mean nada to me . . . I have my opinion and you have yours . . . if you disagree with me, skip ma comments and move on to the next one . . . I dislike dumbass arguments.

A thing or two you may not know about me, I am into music production as a hobby and over at the music section I have posted one or two things in the past. My point? Tuface's track is heavily engineered to appeal to the autotune generation. Shina had no luxury of those in his days (apart from reverb and a bit of high, mid and low gain on Eq)

And you must think that other folks in the Music Section are geeks?? And sorry, we should all gather and celebrate ElRazur the greatest producer ever to have traversed Mother Earth??

Ok, some other things I know about you:

1. You argue blindly
2. Your communication and comprehension abilities are in the realm of zilch
3. You sound too much of a sissy when engaged in a debate

Your assertion of 2face's use of autotune has now become "he appeals to the autotune generation"?? Your words should be sold for nada in the Potosi parts of Bolivia.

[b]OMG you got me there! **Insert roll eyes here** The shock that a modern day musician writes his own material is news? Jesus fuckkking bleep me. Here allow me to break it down for you. Remember how you claim I have nothing to teach you? Here, learn this now:

Tuface's tracks are recorded in multiple takes and then combined for that "Perfect cut".

Tuface's tracks are maximum an average of 5 mins long (radio play edit)

Tuface works with the best producer out there for most of his records. In the words of Nas, but a bitchhh on a bomb beat and she will go platinum.

In comparison to Shina - His tracks are about 10-15 mins long (Hence why it is called LP Long play) and all done in one cut. Meaning, there is no room for error.

He composes the music (there is a difference between writing lyrics and actually composing music sir), write his own lyrics, he acts as a "conductor" while orchestrating the whole band, he worked with one of the least known music producer then "Dudu music" using mostly analogue stuff - Instruments fed into mixer and then a Digital audio tape.

You see, Shina did it the way people like me will respect him. Whereas, while I respect Tuface too, he is however not in the same league that I place shina. [/b]

Shina's music speaks for itself.

(But I am guessing you know all of these and need nothing to learn)

Nothing up there is of any value or substance . . .

Lemme just reply all that crap with one line - Fela's songs should have been worse than Shina's, using all the parameters you used up there, but I will never, in 20 lives, compare Fela to 2face.

Now, sip a cold drink, relax, and come up with a better reply!
Re: ‘i’m Sorry To Say, But 2face Is Empty’ – Sir Shina Peters by buzugee(m): 5:34pm On Nov 12, 2010
and lastly let me say this. because this is the most important thing in music. the voice does not make the man, it is the man that makes the voice,  what this means is that there are a million people out there who can sing and who can rap but what seperates the wheat from the chaff is the personality. this is the stuff that legends are made off. a strong or unique or appealing or enticing personality, a strong presence. it is not just enough to have a good voice. there is a reason why people like luther vandross, barry white, jay z, fela, KSA, sir shina peters, dr dre, snoop, chuck d, lenny kravitz, tupac, biggie etc etc there is a reason why they will stay in the collective consciousness of the world or their countrys forever,  it is because they have presence. they have an enticing personality, their aura oozes charisma. this is 90 percent of the stuff legends are made off. the actual singing is only 10 percent of it.  
the new crop of nigerian musicians lack that presence or personality. they all look like they are manufactured in a cookie cutter establishment. the only person with even an iota of personality will be ikechukwu.

ahhh i also remember a nigerian musician who had presence and personality. majek fashek.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fans Lash-Out At Karen Igho On Twitter Over Big Brother Africa Comments / Toke Makinwa Reacts To Liya Sheribu, Dapchi Girl Who Refused To Denounce Christ / G-worldwide Entertainment Sues Kiss Daniel To Court (see Details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.