Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) (24709 Views)

Lives Of Former Governors After Office / Photos Of Arrested Boko Haram + Weapons Recovered By The Nigerian Troops / Picture Of Arrested Isis Leader On Way To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by denex: 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2007
So una dey wait? Well sha.
Where Lucky Igbinedion?
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mariory(m): 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2007
chidichris:

arrest who and for what?
our able president was a governor and is surposed to be among the ex-governors to be arrested

What are you talking about. He was one of the few governors to have been completely cleared of any accusations and one of the few who fully disclosed his assets before he served both terms as governor.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by monkeyleg: 5:38pm On Jun 11, 2007
Mariory,
They say na man wey dem catch with ham inside pot of soup be thief. You know that I heard from relaible source some Guv who was touted as Cleaner than white from bleach has been finger in big thievery. Please go and find out who ok. If he was so clean why did he accept a fraud of an election "We Dont Believe a WORD OF IT"
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BUSHFELLOW(m): 6:40am On Jun 12, 2007
ORJI DECLARED HIS ASSETS TOO THEN WHY IS HE BEEN THREATENED BY THE EFCC TO SHOW UP OR BE ARRESTED WE ALL KNOW THE GAME PLAN BUT YOU JUST WAIT NO ON WILL BE ARRESTED BECAUSE THE NEW MAN ON boards WILL NOT WANT TO WASTE HIS TIME WItCH HUNTING ANYBODY, BUT I BELIEVE WITH TIME SOME OF THEM WILL BE ARRESTED
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 10:30am On Jun 12, 2007
I totally agree with Bushfellow
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 2:09pm On Jun 12, 2007
EFCC quizzes Tinubu over fraud - Ex-gov Nnamani arrives, appears at EFCC Thursday
From Foluso Akinwumi, Kayode Akinmade and Okey Muogbo - 12.06.2007
THE immediate past governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, was yesterday quizzed by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the handling of the finances of the state in the last eight years.

Senator Tinubu, according to the Nigerian Tribune findings, arrived at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja at about noon on Monday.

A competent source at the commission’s office told the Nigerian Tribune that Tinubu was at the EFCC office with some officials of the state government and those who served in his administration.

It was gathered from the source that the Lagos State Attorney General under Tinubu was one of the officials questioned alongside the governor while the identity of the two others could not be confirmed.

It will be recalled that the former Lagos State governor was, while in office, dragged before the Code of Conduct Bureau over allegations of running foreign accounts in the name of his children and wife, but the case was thrown out because he then, as the sitting governor of the state, enjoyed immunity from prosecution.

His defence counsel at the Code of Conduct Tribunal said he could not be tried by the tribunal because he was covered by Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution.

The case against him at the tribunal was struck out because of the immunity clause in the constitution.

The EFCC chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, had said that some governors would be prosecuted for corruption after leaving office with Senator Tinubu’s name featuring prominently on the list.

Efforts to confirm the interrogation of the ex-governor from official quarters in the EFCC proved abortive as the Chief of Staff to the chairman of the commission, Mr. Dapo Olorunyomi, and the head commission’s, Media and Publicity, Osita Nwajah, refused to comment on the presence of the former Lagos governor in their office.

While Nwajah could not be reached for comments, Olorunyomi said he was not ready to say anything on the issue.

He, however, confirmed that the questioning of some of the former governors that had honoured the invitation took place in one of the commission’s offices in Abuja.

When asked to comment on the invitation of Tinubu to their office, Olorunyomi said, “I am not ready to comment on that issue. I am not the right person to answer this question.

“I am in the office now, Tinubu is not here. He may have been quizzed in one of the offices of the commission”, he said.

But a source at the EFCC office said Tinubu met with the chairman of the EFCC.

He said that Tinubu was asked about the foreign accounts allegedly owned by him.

He said, “The former governor of Lagos State was at the commission’s office today with some people. He met with the chairman. We are still expecting some former governors to honour the invitation.

Uneasy calm pervaded the atmosphere of Lagos State secretariat following the news of the interrogation of the former state governor by EFCC officials.

Workers at the state secretariat were seen discussing in low voices the predicament of the former governor who recently handed over power to Mr. Babatunde Fashola.

Meanwhile, the former governor of Enugu State, Dr. Chimaroke Nnamani, who came back to the country from the United States yesterday, is expected to appear before EFCC on Thursday.

Nnamani left the country a few days to May 29 when he was supposed to hand over to the new governor.

Nnamani was alleged to have fled the country to evade EFCC arrest.

But a source in Abuja yesterday told the Nigerian Tribune that the former Enugu governor decided to return to the country following assurances that he would not be prosecuted by the EFCC for alleged misconduct while in office as governor.

Nnamani was said to have arrived from the United States at about 7.00 p.m. Yesterday.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2007
EFCC Recovers N100bn Assets from Ex-Govs
• Tinubu honours commission's invitation

The on-going interrogation of former state governors by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) may have started yielding dividends. The commission has recovered assets of some of the former state chief executives worth over N100 billion, THISDAY was informed yesterday. It has also emerged that the commission has not entered into any deal not to prosecute former governors who forfeit their loot.
Also yesterday, the commission interrogated the former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, over his stewardship. Tinubu, according to information available to THISDAY, left his Bourdillon Road residence in Ikoyi, Lagos, in the early hours of yesterday for Abuja to honour the EFCC invitation. Tinubu was supposed to have appeared before the EFCC panel last week but he wrote to request for a shift of the interview till yesterday, citing busy schedule as his reason.
Assets forfeited by some of the former governors include estates, hotels, hospitals, cash and other investments both in Nigeria and abroad. However, an EFCC official told THISDAY yesterday that there was no truth in the report that the commission had entered into a bargain with the former governors not to prosecute them in exchange for forfeiture of assets.
"Forfeiture of assets is a completely different issue from prosecution," the official said. "We will take everything step-by-step. Those who have failed to convincingly answer our questions will be charged to court after the whole process of interrogation. We have always insisted we will follow the rule of law over the matter."
Tinubu's appearance before the commission doused rumours that he might not honour the invitation extended to him.
EFCC boss, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, had earlier this year said the commission was investigating Tinubu in a case that had an “international dimension”. The Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) also accused Tinubu of operating some 16 foreign accounts in the names of his wife and children, as against the provisions of the 1999 Constitution which bars serving public officials from operating accounts outside the shores of Nigeria. Tinubu has denied these charges repeatedly.
It was not clear yesterday if these allegations formed the basis for the questioning of the former governor. The atmosphere at the Alausa, seat of Lagos government, changed following initial rumours that Tinubu was arrested by EFCC operatives.
Some Lagos lawmakers and top functionaries of government were moody as they discussed the development. The lawmakers and some democracy activists, were billed to host the former Governor today in commemoration of his contributions to the struggle for the sustenance of democratic principles in the country. They expressed worries that the EFCC may have scuttled their arrangements.
Tinubu had on the eve of his departure from the seat of government said he had a clean record in office. He challenged the EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and other agencies of government to provide evidence of his wrong doings while his eight-year tenure lasted. He vowed not to flee, saying he would remain in the country to fight oppression.
“Shame on them, let them show the accounts. I am an accountant and I have trained my children to be prudent. I cannot be intimidated. Shame on them. I am not going anywhere, I remain with you. Don’t believe any rumour. I am around, my records are clear, I have nothing to hide”, Tinubu had declared while handing over the state to his successor, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), a forthnight ago.
When contacted to comment on the development yesterday, counsel to Tinubu, Mr. Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who spoke with our correspondent on phone, confirmed that Tinubu was not arrested. He explained that Tinubu had only gone to the EFCC to honour the invitation sent to him.
“He was not arrested. He went on his own. When he asked me, I told him to go and see them. He was invited like other former governors who had been there to answer the EFCC call," he said.
THISDAY was told that Tinubu had a marathon session with the commission's investigative panel in Abuja, lasting about eight hours. It ended at about 5 pm.
Two governors were scheduled for interview yesterday: Tinubu and the former governor of Benue state, Chief George Akume. However, owing to the fact that the former Lagos state governor took most of the available time, Akume was asked to report back today.
It was also revealed yesterday that the former governors of Akwa Ibom, Obong Victor Attah and his Ebonyi state counterpart, Dr. Sam Egwu, were yet to appear before the EFCC as erroneously reported by THISDAY yesterday. They could, however, be invited later as the interviews are being conducted in batches, according to an EFCC official.
So far, the EFCC has quizzed about seven governors out of a total 15 billed to be questioned. Among ex governors so far interrogated are Dr. Peter Odili of Rivers state, Chief James Ibori (Delta), Rev. Jolly Nyame (Taraba), Alhaji Saminu Turaki (Jigawa), Alhaji Ahmed Sani Yarima (Zamfara), Senator Tinubu and Chief George Akume (Benue).
Another former governor among those being awaited at the EFCC office for questioning, Chief Lucky Nosakhare Igbinedion, yesterday refuted rumours that he was on the run. In a statement from his close friend made available to THISDAY, he said he was not on the run and would as a matter of fact return to Nigeria this week.
He said Igbinedion's attention had been drawn to a news report that he ran away from the country to evade inquisition by the EFCC and explained that the ex-governor only travelled for "a deserved rest shortly after the inauguration of the new administration in Edo State."
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by monkeyleg: 4:45pm On Jun 12, 2007
Can you imagine that Lucky had to go and take a rest from not doing anything. This whole thing is a joke. In Nigeria we will stone and burn a common thief for stealling banana, but will award senatorship, gorvernorship e.t.c to office criminals. This has been were our system has continued to fail us. We as a nation are not ready to clean our act up. We are quite content to sit and live in the cesspit of a country. It really gets on my tits when we drag our legs about doing the right thing, why for the sake of it at this very critical time in our history are our fingers still stuck up our arse. Are we hoping that someone else would come and seek justice for us? James and his broda Lucky can not account for the money given to them, and they must be purnished. Full STOP.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by hdada(m): 6:34pm On Jun 13, 2007
i don't see them arresting anybody   embarassed embarassed
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by champredd(m): 9:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
By the end of this investigation, I still expect lots of arrests and prosecution. Yar'Adua is going to surprise everybody because soon he will allow EFCC to probe OBJ cronies.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by 9ja4eva: 10:01pm On Jun 13, 2007
Ibori

Odili

Igbinedion

This people na d real armed robbers
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by denex: 10:41pm On Jun 13, 2007
Tinubu should explain our N4 billion that he invested in Econet which has now tripled to N12 billion.

At least I was in the studio in LTV live when he proudly said it. Abeg Fashola need the money to use work jare.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 9:40am On Jun 14, 2007
worry not my dear Nairaland users. these bandits are already returning money they stole. we all know they wont return every bit of it but at least make them return some. ah ah!
up Yaradua for that. grin
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mamajama(m): 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2007
people blv everything they are reading in the paper. How do you know they are returning the money? was a check sent to your account for verification? All this naija paper self.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by champredd(m): 7:19pm On Jun 14, 2007
It is part of criminal investigations that the accused may negotiate so that they may avoid heavy punishment. So those guys may be negotiating their way out of prison by returning the illegal money that can be traced directly to them. That will reduce their punishment.

I'm just happy they are being forced to return the stolen monies, they will serve as example for the future.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2007
Mamajama:

people blv everything they are reading in the paper. How do you know they are returning the money? was a check sent to your account for verification? All this naija paper self.

u make me laugh sweetie, beta tell ur daddy to return his own oh! there is fire on the mountain, run run run. cheesy
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by 9ja4eva: 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2007
angel101:

worry not my dear Nairaland users. these bandits are already returning money they stole. we all know they wont return every bit of it but at least make them return some. ah ah!
up Yaradua for that. grin

Yes oh d guy dey represent in a way
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by mekoyo(m): 11:26am On Jun 15, 2007
For now none have been arrested so far. All we hear now is interrogation.
No arrest yet. Lets just wait and see what will come out of this.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by denex: 11:55am On Jun 15, 2007
Arrest does not necessarily mean they must put chains on suspects.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 12:44pm On Jun 15, 2007
Make them just return the money. they will have less nuisance qualities when they do.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by 9ja4eva: 10:35pm On Jun 15, 2007
Ibori and Igbinedion to return N60billion
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by denex: 10:54pm On Jun 15, 2007
Shey it's N60 billion. Because that initial N60 million is just the price of two of igbinedion's customised jeeps.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by 9ja4eva: 10:57pm On Jun 15, 2007
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BigB11(m): 7:58pm On Jun 16, 2007
They should not be allowed to determine how much to be returned. Fed Govt should implement a new department within EFCC to thoroughly investigate each and every single government officials from 1999 to 2007 (not only the governors) and estimate how much these people should return.

They should be given only 10 days to return stolen money. If any of them comes with mago mago, this individual should be sent straight to kirikiri for 50 years with out any parole.

Trust me, after 1 or 2 scapegoats, you guys will see how quick these bastards respond to this proposal.

Nigerians usually respond positively after a scape goat is witnessed.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by champredd(m): 9:53pm On Jun 16, 2007
They are now saying Yar'Adua ordered Ribadu not to arrest them. I guess I understand his concern, he did not want another political problem. Atiku is already playing the fraudulent election card to prevent his own prosecution. But I still expect some arrests to serve as scapegoats, if not it implies that Yar'Adua himself (if he was not elected the president) would have left an empty treasury for his successor and who knows maybe he did.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BigB11(m): 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2007
Yes, we do not want Yaradua to get himself involved with OBJ propaganda, but at the same time something must be done systematically; or else this young administration will be sending a wrong signal.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by kitaun(m): 11:14pm On Jun 16, 2007
denex:

Tinubu should explain our N4 billion that he invested in Econet which has now tripled to N12 billion.

At least I was in the studio in LTV live when he proudly said it. Abeg Fashola need the money to use work jare.

if you don't have anything tangible to say keep your trap shut . . . angry

no need exposing your ignorance any further cool
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by denex: 5:50am On Jun 17, 2007
@kitaun

na you sabi. Whatever group or agency you're working for, that's your own sack of Garri.

If I wasn't ignorant of what happened to the money do you think I would be asking?

It is a fool like you that will be ignorant of events and will shut up. Me, if I don't know, I ask.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by 9ja4eva: 6:50am On Jun 17, 2007
Big B1:

Yes, we do not want Yaradua to get himself involved with OBJ propaganda, but at the same time something must be done systematically; or else this young administration will be sending a wrong signal.

Yu right bt Yar Adua so far is not doing bad.

champredd:

They are now saying Yar'Adua ordered Ribadu not to arrest them. I guess I understand his concern, he did not want another political problem. Atiku is already playing the fraudulent election card to prevent his own prosecution. But I still expect some arrests to serve as scapegoats, if not it implies that Yar'Adua himself (if he was not elected the president) would have left an empty treasury for his successor and who knows maybe he did.

Yar Adua ordered dem to arrest him.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jun/15/605.html
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 5:06pm On Jun 17, 2007
Big B1:

They should not be allowed to determine how much to be returned. Fed Govt should implement a new department within EFCC to thoroughly investigate each and every single government officials from 1999 to 2007 (not only the governors) and estimate how much these people should return.

They should be given only 10 days to return stolen money. If any of them comes with mago mago, this individual should be sent straight to kirikiri for 50 years with out any parole.

Trust me, after 1 or 2 scapegoats, you guys will see how quick these bastards respond to this proposal.

Nigerians usually respond positively after a scape goat is witnessed.

while i agree with u, i wonder though why the investigation should be restricted to the last 8 years.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by champredd(m): 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2007
The ICPC have now join the fray. EFCC has projected it self to prominience through its boss. Now the ICPC is trying to stamp its authority. I just hope and pray that there would be no clash of authority. If that is not the original design i.e divide and rule.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by MILITIA(f): 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2007
@Topic

Keep waiting for list oh! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ahmed Abu Dumps APC (Resignation Letter) / INEC Responds To Pdp’s Allegation Of Being 'heavily Bribed' By APC / 2023: PDP Mulls Merger, Throws Open Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.