Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) (24711 Views)

Lives Of Former Governors After Office / Photos Of Arrested Boko Haram + Weapons Recovered By The Nigerian Troops / Picture Of Arrested Isis Leader On Way To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by MILITIA(f): 6:08pm On Jun 03, 2007
Please do not hold your breath for that one. Day 5000 will come and there will be no arrests except the ones Ribadu has in mind for not giving up their loot. We are in the "negotiation" phase of this new administration. Money is still changing hands or should I say Nigeria- must- go- bags. Patience my people, patience! It will be revealed in no time who is the friend and who is the foe!
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 8:40am On Jun 04, 2007
Most of the corrupt governors sponsored the election anyway, so who's fooling who?
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BUSHFELLOW(m): 4:15pm On Jun 04, 2007
Exactly my point THESE governors single handedly financed PDP rally to bring back their own into power so who should they arrest is it IBORI, IGINEDION, OR WHO
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mamajama(m): 4:18pm On Jun 04, 2007
How do you know they funded the election? stop speculating and get your facts right.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BUSHFELLOW(m): 4:28pm On Jun 04, 2007
MAMAJAMA are you afraid that it might lead to the FORMER inspector general of police dont worry my idea he wont be dragged into it. they only use his office to secure more guns that the hoodlums are now using to threaten our lives now in Nigeria. there are more guns outside now than before the election. so face it they wont call the former IG who spent 1billion on arms for the April election while all the while he was in office all we could hear was that the police has no equipment.

Look let us be real who financed the campaign if it wasn't them you and i or who for Christ sake the whole nation is seek and tired of this party called pdp so every governor want to protect himself. i will get the dailies for you where ibori asked OBJ to pick who ever he want from the governors and leave the rest to him he will take care of the rest.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mamajama(m): 4:37pm On Jun 04, 2007
DUDE you are as confused as a headless chicken, you believe every thing you read in the paper. that is your credible source? HA HA HA HA, let me tell you No one in Nigeria can prosecute the past IGP, we have the UNTOUCHABLE CLASS in Nigeria, and the man has a JOB with the UN already for your info, Ill be coming to Nigeria to oversee some of our law Chambers, so stop this basket mouth YABBIES.

I am done trying to educate you on how Nigerian politics works. while you here crying do you realize the so called corrupt governors are all dining and wining with the people you think will put them in jail?
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by monkeyleg: 5:16pm On Jun 04, 2007
They are all drinking Pepper soup and beer waiting for their next appointment. Someone said he saw Oga James in LA CASA 3 weeks be/4 handover winning and dining with some African Ambassador, enjoying with the ladies of the nite (Please dont tell his wife). He did not care that his tenure was coming to an end, he was very confident that something would be found for him
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mamajama(m): 5:37pm On Jun 04, 2007
please tell all this noise makers. that is the reality. the press always making all this novice from the outside happy but at night, the press are not there to see what really goes down.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 6:43pm On Jun 04, 2007
Yar’adua asks EFCC to “cool down” on corrupt governors.

The much talked about actions of the EFCC against corrupt governors have been stopped temporarily by Umar Musa Yar’adua the winner of the massively rigged April 2007 polls. Yar’adua was “sworn-in” on May 29 2007 as Nigeria’s 4th civilian president despite glaring flaws in the elections that brought him to power.

Saharareporters confirmed that after being put in office by president Obasanjo, Mr. Yar’adua asked the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop harassing out-going governors who were indicted for corruption, though some of the governors had already fled the country, others like governor Kalu of Abia State (who briefly fled to Gambia was asked to return back to Nigeria), Lucky Igbinedon of Edo State, Peter Odili of Rivers and Aliero were asked not to panic by Yar’adua. The reason for the reprieve was the strong influence of one of the most corrupt governors, Chief James ibori (former governor of Delta State) who was the biggest financier of Musa Yar’adua’s presidential campaigns . Chief James Ibori, Alhaji Muazu and Bukola Saraki are all indicted in the corruption probe carried out by the EFCC, but they all have serious power over Mr. Yar’adua who they have told in unmistakable terms to reign in the chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu.

Our sources at the State House (Aso Rock-Abuja) said Mr. Yar’adua yesterday met with Nuhu Ribadu and directed him to change his tactics against the governors. Hence, the EFCC will not be arresting any of the out-going governors indicted for corruption; the EFCC will now write the ex-governors “invitation letters” to come whenever they are available to explain their side of the story on corruption and then try to file civil charges against anyone found wanting. This new position contradicts EFCC’s earlier position which clearly stated that the governors had been indicted for corruption and that the EFCC was merely waiting for their immunity to run out.

Chief James Ibori and Bukola Saraki are said to favor the removal of Nuhu Ribadu as the EFCC chairman as a punishment for his over-reaching efforts that embarrassed them while in office. Though the EFCC never released any materials on the extent of the corruption of the Delta State governor, our sources in London said the Metropolitan Police had concluded plans to arrest Ibori for money laundering activities if he stepped into the UK.

Saharareporters investigations showed that though so many of the out-going governors no longer enjoys immunity, they have remained in Nigeria –in particular roaming the streets of Abuja- without being arrested by the EFCC as earlier promised.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by GNature(m): 6:49pm On Jun 04, 2007
Sorry, but can't rely on Sahara reports. I'll believe your story when it comes from a more reliable source.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by otokx(m): 2:18pm On Jun 05, 2007
I love my country.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mamajama(m): 2:30pm On Jun 05, 2007
Press are just trying to sell paper and printing unverified and inaccurate news to people.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 4:24pm On Jun 05, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

DUDE you are as confused as a headless chicken, you believe every thing you read in the paper. that is your credible source? HA HA HA HA, let me tell you No one in Nigeria can prosecute the past IGP, we have the UNTOUCHABLE CLASS in Nigeria, and the man has a JOB with the UN already for your info, Ill be coming to Nigeria to oversee some of our law Chambers, so stop this basket mouth YABBIES.

I am done trying to educate you on how Nigerian politics works. while you here crying do you realize the so called corrupt governors are all dining and wining with the people you think will put them in jail?

This is exactly what we have been saying. only i dont understan what exactly ur point is. if these ur men didnt finance the elections how come they are untouchable and winning and dinning with those supposed to prosecute them? a bit confusing man
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by jkolo: 12:54am On Jun 06, 2007
u neva hear say all da governors don go hide inside obj's ridges in otta farm. no be me talk am oooooooo, ijust hear am ni oooooooooooo
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 06, 2007
How do you seperate past offenders(looters of treasury) and nation biulding?

If you dont get the past corrupt officials tried, then there will not be any reason why the current ones will not loot too.

How do you forget trillions of naira that has been looted in the past years? How do u forget the 12 billion dollars oil windfall? How do you forget contracts that were awarded and paid without execution?
That is why Nigeria may never get to the promised land.

Yaradua should just be bold and prosecute any past governmet official found wanting.
The money they looted has never been their own, so they must be forced to return them.

You can never get to the right future without checking your past.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 3:58pm On Jun 06, 2007
Nuzo, I totally agree with you, but Yaradua and others know something that might not be clear to you and I, which is: prosecuting the past government officials means prosecuting the entire country. They've all stolen government money once or twice in the past. This was an acceptable politicians or political norm. This is the fact known by all these people.
But I still believe that 2 or 3 of these officials should be used as a scape goat to send messages to others.
Yaradua knows better and will not get himself involved with an ever lasting war, a war that can not be won because it is against the whole nation.
FYI: there are some invisible individuals that control the daily activities of the federal government operations, these same individuals also control the president. And this is how the game goes (it is either you're with us or you're against us). This how it is everywhere, it is only now became known or open to the public in Nigeria because of the conflict between Obasanjo and Atiku. If it wasn't because of this conflict, things would have be "business as usual"
The best he, Yaradua could do at this point is putting better policies in place to prevent corruption and making government official positions less attractive.
But the past will remain the past. Write it down!
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by Mariory(m): 9:21pm On Jun 06, 2007
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by patandpat(m): 7:37am On Jun 07, 2007
If you be for baba i dont think you can be aressted
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2007
Any update on the EFCC questioning yet?
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by mazaje(m): 10:28am On Jun 07, 2007

10 ex-Govs report to EFCC   

ABUJA— NO fewer than 10 former state governors met yesterday in Abuja with the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, following an invitation by the commission.

The meeting took place behind closed doors. Sources said the former governors and the EFCC boss had a useful meeting on petitions sent to the commission on how the governors managed public funds in their states.

It was learnt that the presence of the ex-governors was sequel to an earlier meetingbetween them and President Umaru Yar’Adua.

Sources said President Yar’Adua and some of the governors had met at the State House in Abuja on Monday night after receiving the EFCC invitation. The meeting was  attended by Vice President Goodluck Jonathan.

They discussed at length the manner in which former President Olusegun Obasanjo allegedly deployed the EFCC to harass the governors. It was learnt that the meeting ended on a note that the governors should honour the EFCC invitation as a mark of respect for the institution.

The President was said to have assured his former colleagues that they would not be humiliated by the commission. Vanguard learnt that the discussion between the governors and the commission was cordial.
None of them was detained. No one in EFCC was willing to reveal the names of the ex-governors.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f107062007.html

Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by magicj(m): 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2007
The present govt can not do anything because they are part of the crises of corruption and yar adua will want to concentrate on the govt becous his rein is illegitimate.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 2:33pm On Jun 07, 2007
EFCC summons 15 ex-Govs
By Dapo Olufade, News Editor
Wednesday, June 06, 2007

ABUJA — FIFTEEN of the state governors who left office last week after serving their terms have been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for questioning on their handling of the finances of the states when they were in power.

They are expected to report at the Abuja headquarters of the commission at 11 a.m. today, Vanguard gathered authoritatively last night.

Sources said the letters of invitation were dispatched to the affected ex-governors last Friday, 72 hours after leaving office.

The names of all those affected were not immediately available. Sources confirmed two only — one from a North-Western state and the other from the South-South.

The source said the commission’s invitation to the ex-governors was for them to clarify allegations levelled at them on how they handled the finances of their states.

The source said EFCC would issue a warrant of arrest against anyone who failed to honour the invitation.

Officials of the commission have been busy over the last few months gathering and verifing evidence against the former public office holders.

Last year, during an appearance on the floor of the Senate, the EFCC chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, said many of the then-serving governors had a lot of questions to answer with the commission on their handling of public funds.

The comision said recently that it was not unaware of plans by some of them to flee the country before or soon after handing over power.

Several of the ex-governors were in the Senate yesterday either to be sworn in as senators or to watch its inauguration.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by mazaje(m): 3:47pm On Jun 07, 2007
Yar' adua can not continue with obasanjo's war he is a very clever guy and i strongly believe he is not just doing the right thing for now but the best thing he should do. He has to be a pace setter and lead by example, OBJ never did that and that's why his war against corruption never had the very much support it needed to succeed.

ObJ was against corruption in some quaters while in others he was behind it and seriously encouraging it which is a double standard of the higest other, how can u be for corruption and be against it at the same time? Yar' adua knows very well that for the battle against corruption to succeed he has to set the pace, he has to lead by example and make sure he has a very clean sheet, if after 3 years of ruling nigeria  there are no calls about him being corrupt then he can properly begin to fight corruption and then i believe he will fight it without impunity and favours cos he has a clean sheet, now he can't do that because he has so many things against him, the elections that brought him into power was'nt at all credible and he knows that that it self is a very big minus for him, lets wait and see how events will unfold,  the best way to fight corruption in nigeria is to set the pace and be corrupt free once that is done the will and the support will be given to any leader that wants to fight against that menace, yar adua knows it and that's just what he intends to do.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2007
I agree 100%, but let's see what happens.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by McKren(m): 9:05am On Jun 08, 2007
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I AM SO SHOCKED BIGB1 IS NOT COUNTING DAYS ANYMORE.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BUSHFELLOW(m): 9:29am On Jun 08, 2007
this tenure will come to an end and nobody will be arrested. for christ sake they are all wining and dinning together with ribadu like the insider mamajama said
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by angel101(f): 10:23am On Jun 08, 2007
pity
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by monkeyleg: 10:59am On Jun 08, 2007
Eeven tho I still believe it is early days, I have this sinking feeling that it is going to be business as usual. Oga might be smarter than Obj, but I doubt he has the clout or strength to continue or progress the fight. Maybe this might be a good lesson to us all to vote wisely next time or really come out and defend our vote.

By the way, the suggestion that there are ghost people moving and controlling the counrry might be true, but we must all remember that no one not even Oga is bigger than a nation. By the way I heard he was stuck in traffic for 2hrs and had the dogs bollocks to winge, he was lucky no area slapped him and took his phone.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by BUSHFELLOW(m): 12:10pm On Jun 08, 2007
no be so na the man still get orderly follow him around ho remember he is an ex-general and also your former president. so he is still entitle to body guards.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 2:18am On Jun 10, 2007
Deadline for Nigeria ex-governors

Ex-governor Joshua Dariye is wanted on money-laundering charges
Nigeria's anti-graft agency has given 15 ex-governors wanted for corruption until the end of Friday to turn themselves in or face arrest.

Five of the former governors have already been quizzed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), an official has told the BBC.

EFCC chairman Nuhu Ribadu declined to name the ex-governors being probed.

The governors enjoyed immunity from prosecution until their terms of office expired last month.

The EFCC has said it was investigating almost all of the 36 governors on allegations of corruption.

Under Nigeria's federal system, governors wield considerable powers and some control budgets of more than $1bn a year in Africa's biggest oil producer.

"When the deadline lapses, we will declare them wanted according to our laws. We will obtain warrants and arrest them wherever they are found," Mr Ribadu told the BBC.

On the run

Some of the former governors have already fled the country, but Mr Ribadu says the EFCC will work towards having them extradited to answer graft and money laundering charges.

"They used to have constitutional immunity. Now they no longer have that. We have invited them to come, but if they don't, then we may have to take tougher steps.

"We shall declare them wanted and try to have them extradited from wherever they have fled to or have them tried wherever they have gone to."

Former Plateau State Governor Joshua Dariye has been questioned in the UK on money-laundering charges but skipped bail. His present whereabouts are not known.

Six governors were re-elected in April's elections and so retain their immunity.

Another seven won seats in Nigeria's Senate, even though one of them appears to have abandoned his seat and has reportedly fled to Spain.

But unlike the governors, parliamentarians are not protected from criminal prosecution under Nigerian law.

Nigeria is seen as one of the world's most corrupt countries.

New President Umaru Yar'Adua has promised to continue with his predecessor's campaign against corruption.

Critics of former President Olusegun Obasanjo say it was a cover to persecute his political rivals.
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by degoat: 2:19am On Jun 10, 2007
Let's keep hope alive!
Re: The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th) by chidichris(m): 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2007
arrest who and for what?
our able president was a governor and is surposed to be among the ex-governors to be arrested and to crown it all, he has confessed to coming into aso rock through the wrong way.
he is a product of corruption so any attampt for corruption to attack or arrest corruption will lead to another chat buster as was seen in the regretable oputa panel where mustapha exposed the selection of the great obasanjo by a few generals though he has been paying for it since then.
it is only God tha will save us from this particular administration that maurice iwu ushered in via the worst selection(election) in the history of nigeria.
let no one be arrested as stealing has become the order of the day within the political class.
let it not be like obasanjo who choosed to punish only abacha among everyother former president of nigeria. what a funny country that everything is based on selection - power, security, water, justice, position, election etc are all products of selection

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face / Reno: Sound Sultan Sacrificed Health For Nigeria, But Sick Buhari Ran To London / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.