Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,593 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World (5236 Views)

Why Must Tax Payers Feed Buhari And His Family?, Asks Okogie - Thecable / President Jonathan Reelection Campaign: Tax Payers Money At Work. / Nigerians Among 700 Migrants Rescued Off Italian Coast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by femivictor: 5:58pm On Dec 10, 2010
grin grin grin I laugh in Ijebu from Awe grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by sizzlers(m): 6:00pm On Dec 10, 2010
Waste of Digital Space 9ja is Currupt from inception
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by ladej(m): 7:32pm On Dec 10, 2010
Ranoscky:

Exactly my sister, that was why they said 'TRUTH HURTS'.

Wisdom write up brov, enjoy!
seconded.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by naijacutee(f): 8:25pm On Dec 10, 2010
The statement is true. I contributed positively to these statistics as well, as I paid a bribe last week to get my biometric passport. There was a "fast service" option, which cost more, but which took applications through the "back door", and this is what I went for. This is done in many countries, but the only difference is that in other places, it would be legalised and called a "faster service option", and hence the whole issue of bribery is rendered impotent. Everything becomes legal - just the same services with different "options".
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by justwise(m): 8:35pm On Dec 10, 2010
naijacutee:

The statement is true. I contributed positively to these statistics as well, as I paid a bribe last week to get my biometric passport. There was a "fast service" option, which cost more, but which took applications through the "back door", and this is what I went for. This is done in many countries, but the only difference is that in other places, it would be legalised and called a "faster service option", and hence the whole issue of bribery is rendered impotent. Everything becomes legal - just the same services with different "options".

You paid that in the UK or Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by babsmii(m): 9:30pm On Dec 10, 2010
MzGreat:

ehhhhhhh!! y now wink wink

m sori if u dont like that, just had to say it tho', nice weekend!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by olax44(m): 9:57pm On Dec 10, 2010
naija should take no 1 position.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by McKren(m): 9:58pm On Dec 10, 2010
Not suprised because it is a Government policy
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Ladyrsky46: 10:01pm On Dec 10, 2010
McKren:

Not suprised because it is a Government policy
grin grin grin
Since when? LOL

It's not only Nigeria. It's everywhere. We just do ours openly and don't give a poo what anyone says or thinks. They can go hug transformer for all we care if they don't like.
Nigeria Nigeria. We hail thee. cheesy

PS: I do not in anyway support it. It's wrong as far as I'm concerned and it makes me sad and angry
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by thunderboy(m): 10:52pm On Dec 10, 2010
Our so called "great" leaders angry have brought us this far , soon Bribery and corruption will be a norm for Nigerians angry There is still hope , vote for IBB , vote for Buhari , vote for GEJ , vote for Atiku ,vote for Dele Momodu , vote for Pastor Kris Okotie , all THIEVES !!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by jenuel: 11:37pm On Dec 10, 2010
No country on earth has zero corruption rate. However, fear, ignorance, poverty, illiteracy, impatient and greed tend to promote and propagate bribery and corruption in third world countries like Nigeria. May God help us.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Nobody: 4:31am On Dec 11, 2010
We nigerians complain too much about how everything is going wrong with the country. I will be naive to say that these complains dont have credibility but we have made it our culture to complain about everything and do nothing to change the situation. Nigerians are one of the smartest people on the planet but yet we are very passive by nature (easy to manipulate and exploit) when it comes to our politics. In other countries with diversified democracy, the politicians are scared of their citizens but in nigeria, the politicians are only scared of each other. There are very few politicians who actually do care and try hard to make concrete changes but they are marginalised. PLEASE MY FELLOW NIGERIANS BRIBERY, CORRUPTION, THEFT, RELIGIOUS AND ETHNIC VIOLENCE you name it all are all symptoms of the real disease which is Poverty and Neglet. These politicians control us by dividing us and explioting our little differences. Their biggest fear is an educated nigerian citizenry who is able to challenge them with out fear. WE need more SANUSIs>
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by supereagle(m): 5:53am On Dec 11, 2010
Bribe taking is rampant in the SE, especially in the GOVT hospitals. It is a way of living there.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:24am On Dec 11, 2010
Nigeria, Nigeria, Nigeria,

I'm sure I was born a Nigerian for a reason!

But, when I hear stuff like this, (sigh)

I've never been outside Nigeria, but I believe other nations are also
corrupt, and now I hear Nigeria is a ''Super Power'' in the ''League of
Corrupt Nations''!!! angry

A policeman stopped me just last night, and commented that, because I
was driving a Government car, I was one of the people ''wey dey chop Nigeria money'',
and that I should part with some of the money I'm ''chopping''.

The mindset that everyone is corrupt makes corruption, like, impossible to root out
of the national psyche, as it is now a societal norm.

The said cop didn't get a kobo from me, but I'm sure that he would have fleeced me
bald if my papers were not complete, or something like that.

NLanders should PLEASE teach their children to be straight in their dealings, and also lead them
by example!

Some generations along the line, after we're all gone, Naija (wey Auntie Dora? grin)
might have a chance embarassed cry
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Thosen(m): 9:20am On Dec 11, 2010
Everything "sells" in Naija: religion, foreign culture; corruption; militancy; mediocrity, even poverty (keeping the masses impoverished so that few can be overly extravagant). It is sad; really sad! [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by mekaboy(m): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2010
NIGERIAN'S DON'T WANT TO CHANGE, IF THEY DID, THEY WOULD HAVE VOTED PAT UTOMI.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 11, 2010
Did we really need an outsider to tell us that a dog barks?

The funniest part of this thread is the part where some posters dey take insult from this revelation.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by donkarly(m): 11:20am On Dec 11, 2010
naija i hail thee! grin
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by kokorunna(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2010
That's nothing new grin grin
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by sweet9ja: 12:30am On Dec 13, 2010
I told a few friends some years ago that corruption must be defined as treasonable offence, because it the one thing that is capable of tearing Nigeria apart. Recent revelation by Wikileak that Shell have spies at the hearth of our government, who report every secret to tha company has proved that point write. I believe we should adopt the Chinese option whereby anyone found guilty of corruption gets the death penalty. If this is done you'll see how Nigeria overtake even the Nordic countries as a corruption-free country within a very short time.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by sizzlers(m): 12:32am On Dec 13, 2010
who will bell the cat
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Nobody: 4:45am On Dec 13, 2010
And if this is true then they are beat by us Americans 10 fold lipsrsealed
Sorry Uncle Sam, I spilled the beans!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by CorkMan: 9:54am On Dec 13, 2010
Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World? ok, is thiese supose to be news?

Nigeria has always beeeen the highest breiber from back in the stone age piriod, talk less of nigeria womens (no oofwense)
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by lekanbar(m): 12:17pm On Dec 13, 2010
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by kingvictor(m): 1:02pm On Dec 13, 2010
this is nothing new

www.naijacareershop..com
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by agitator: 1:55pm On Dec 13, 2010
Jeezuzpick:

A policeman stopped me just last night, and commented that, because I
was driving a Government car, I was one of the people ''wey dey chop Nigeria money'',
and that I should part with some of the money I'm ''chopping''.

The mindset that everyone is corrupt makes corruption, like, impossible to root out
of the national psyche, as it is now a societal norm.

The said cop didn't get a kobo from me, but I'm sure that he would have fleeced me
bald if my papers were not complete, or something like that.

You escaped because it is a government car, not because your papers were intact.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2010
This is a very deceptive study.

In Nigeria, in STRICTLY MONETARY TERMS, western European and Americans are the highest bribe payers.

And in the rest of Africa as well. Same applies.

Western Europeans and Americas are the highest bribe payers.

The total amount paid in bribes by Nigerians in one year, is less than 5% of the total.

The other 95% was paid by Western European and Americans.

So Western Europeans and Americans are the highest bribe payers in Nigeria.

Poster, please, rewrite your heading.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by BetaThings: 5:08am On Dec 14, 2010
ROSSIKE:

This is a very deceptive study.

In Nigeria, in STRICTLY MONETARY TERMS, western European and Americans are the highest bribe payers.

And in the rest of Africa as well. Same applies.

Western Europeans and Americas are the highest bribe payers.

The total amount paid in bribes by Nigerians in one year, is less than 5% of the total.

The other 95% was paid by Western European and Americans.

So Western Europeans and Americans are the highest bribe payers in Nigeria.

Poster, please, rewrite your heading.

Wrong! The poster should not ammend anything. Nigerian economy is about 1% of America's. THe EU economy is bigger than America's. So how can Nigeria account for 5% and you say it is not too high!
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by BetaThings: 5:10am On Dec 14, 2010
chrishenzo:

I don't worry about bribing,
I worry about the inferiority complex of most Nigerians
I worry about the lack of patriot of most Nigerians
I worry about how most Nigerians swallow anything that media said but fail to understand that the greatest weapon on earth is not nuclear bomb but THE MEDIA.
I worry about how most Nigerians are still living in modern day slavery
I worry about how most Nigerians like to digest negative news without knowing that it affects them
I worry about how most Nigerians shouts "Only in Nigeria" but failed to notice that the same crime happens everywhere.
I worry about how most Nigerians are internet warriors but physically they don't have balls.

I was an advocate of "One Nigeria" but some weeks back I have to ask myself if  there is anything like "One Nigeria". I was chatting with one Nigeria person some weeks ago, and we were discussing about Nigeria situation and how the country can change. But behold, the person open up his mouth and starts vomiting rubbish. He said "Nigeria is a hopeless country, Nigeria is a silly country, I hate Nigeria. I don't want to have anything to do with the country again. They are silly, they are criminals, frauds, and nothing good will come from the country. I won't go back until they fixed the country, etc. His voice was so loud and to make things worst, there were about 10-15 people from different countries around us. I was so embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I just told him " I'm disappointed in you" and the next thing he said was "Who cares. silly hopeless country!"

All the other foreigners was surprised and one of them just told him that he is the most silly person he has ever come across in his entire 47years old. He asked the Nigerian guy, whether the country he is currently living was fixed by God? One of them asked me whether there are other brain dead people like this in Nigeria. My brothers I was confused and transfixed.

Finally don't get me wrong, bribing is ripping dip into the heart of Nigeria but instead of repeating the same issues that even a child knows about, why not find a solution to it. You can start by avoiding bribing from your own side. Fix yourself and you fix Nigeria.

Don't mind the people criticising you! They would take bribe first and then build places of worship as if God cannot see through the trick. Resolve in your mind - will not take bribe. That is your contribution. Of course you can also refuse to pay some bribe. Eg if you want an international passport and they say come back in 5 months or pay extra and get in 1 week. Wait for 5 months, esp if you are not in a hurry. JAMB admission, cheating at exams etc are also others
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by Anaegboka(m): 4:45pm On Dec 14, 2010
It's easy to say 'don't give bribe' until you are trapped in a situation where your only option of getting things done is to part with something. If you have ever been accosted by these black knights who will not mind asking for your birth certificate just to trap you in the guise of checking your vehicle particulars, you'll be singing a different tune. Personally I feel bad after parting with my hard earned money to grease the wheel of bribery.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by jobzy: 5:34pm On Dec 14, 2010
Gooooooooooooooooooooo 9ja!. NA ACHIEVEMENT.
Re: Nigerians Among Highest Bribe Payers In The World by wazobiang: 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2010
its money matter

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Efcc Seals Off Igbinedion’s Mansions / Eleni Gabre-madhin Vs. Okonjo Iweala / Attention Progressives.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.