Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,626 members, 7,851,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:31 PM

US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War (32538 Views)

Justin Trudeau, Wife Sophie Separate After 18 Years Of Marriage / Americans Blast Zelensky For Rejecting Elon Musk's Peace Deal With Russia (Pics) / Israel Signs Peace Treaties With Arab States At Whitehouse Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 01, 2020
imam07:
stop talking of olden days war without rules. We have UN now. Since when did u see US involved in genocide war. Things has changed my guy. US does not use weapons to threaten you instead they use sanctions. The movies u watched is different from real war. So don't analyze a war as if nah bread and butter.

We had a UN since 1945, after which the US intervention in Vietnam , and the Russian intervention in Afghanistan happened.

You need to read up on gurellia warfare.

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by spirul77: 12:57pm On Mar 01, 2020
while americans are all happy for this because peace is gradually coming back and their troops are coming back home, admonishing the great feat of this administration for this but we Nigerians are here complaining of america "negotiating with terrorist" na wa o.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 01, 2020
Commentor:
But wrong for Nigeria to release renounced Boko Haram suspects.

For many years, the USA told us the Taliban were a terrorist group.

Yet they've negotiated with terrorists today.

Half brained analysis. A non state aggressor in the soviet-Afghan conflict that became a legitimate state controlling unit in itself, only became terrorist because it started to harbor extremist nutjobs from around the region (their own dogmatic extremism hitherto that point was ignored). Not to mention that they gave OBL asylum.

BH are criminal mass murderers challenging a state's sovereignty while actively killing it's citizens toward no acceptable delineated objective.... 30,000s dead more than a million displaced and many more affected one way or the other in an active conflict Ppl are just suposed to accept some cooked up 'rehab' program without any solid parameters or long term feasibility or even considerations given to recent and current victims and their families.

Nigeria has never witnessed anything like this... what's next? The so called 'Libyan' bandits would be getting theirs too?

Are you ppl broken ?

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by pacespot(m): 1:12pm On Mar 01, 2020
Laurene:
you dumb_ass morafucker... The war was about finding Osama that was why the government was toppled, due its inability to comply.

Fools like you think USA will go to war with a country because of one man if not because of control over Afghan rich minerals deposits. Go and learn more about international politics if you don't know anything, I won't be the one to educate your dumb ass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by bily(m): 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2020
Looks like Trump is a fan of the series Homeland.
This is exactly what's happening in the new season of homeland grin
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by haybhi1(m): 1:46pm On Mar 01, 2020
Storeyedbuildin:
Pls am searching for job ooo.....

I can do anytin ooo ..so far it nuh related to blood or fraud....

Be it security,gateman ,office work or even factory work....am getting tired of this life already I wud be glad if anyone can be of help....

I can even do laundry for u...clean ur house and even prepare meals for u...so far its Lagos...

If u don't av the connection u can connect me to someone who has ...plsss..

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Pls safe a starving brother

Bro, with a deep sense of compassion, i wish that one that will give you peace of mind, happiness and your wishes shall come your path. Good luck, hero.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by go4value(m): 1:49pm On Mar 01, 2020
Commentor:
But wrong for Nigeria to release renounced Boko Haram suspects.

For many years, the USA told us the Taliban were a terrorist group.

Yet they've negotiated with terrorists today.

What is the Bokoharam fighting for? independence? You must be daft to compare the two

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Emmanuelhector(m): 2:18pm On Mar 01, 2020
mvem:
bull shit!...US and all European countries proscribe Taliban a terrorist organization since the 1990s. Taliban housed Osama and Al Qaeda. Taliban facilitated the 9/11 by creating a base for the Al Qaeda network to operate. Taliban single handedly has killed more US soldiers than any other group in modern history....Now it is obvious to US that they can't totally defeat the Taliban. This looks more like a win to the Taliban if I must say...US is very strong but people here ovwrhype their abilities. They have been in war since 18 years in Afghanistan, now they are negotiated a peaceful withdrawal... Imagine !
Oga stop being noisy.. Yes they have been in war with
, wants to engage North Korea, and iran.. busted Iraq and always ready to fight.. You must have read this part and still stand to type rubbish ''Under the agreement, the militants also agreed not to allow al-Qaeda or any other extremist group to operate in the areas they control.'' Great nations don't want issues with US and you in zoo country is busy ranting as if your country can invite them for war since we can't even invade and fight them on their soill
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:46pm On Mar 01, 2020
itsme01:

like I said Shekau operates from Sambisa which is outside of Nigerian territory and territory jointly owned by lake chad basin commission countries.. use google maps to help yourself..

secondly shekau and kanu's outburst are similar just as you rightly mentioned and I condemn both terrorist equally , you talked about Northeast senator negotiating for shekau.. except you leave under a cave.. you should have being hearing of the debate in the house on repentant book haram re integration, so who told you that's not senators negotiating shekaus terms..

so just because Kanu and Shekau wants different things doesn't make both of their approach justifiable

You are lying!! A barefaced lie!! Go and bring the map which shows sambisa forest as outside Nigerian territory. If it is indeed outside Nigerian territory as you claim, why does Nigeria have a game reserve there? How come it is under Konduga, Jere and Gworza local governments. Your assertion if true means the Nigerian Army is an aggressor fighting for control of a territory which does not belong to Nigeria. You are accusing the Nigerian Army of war crimes inadvertently. You need to be guided!!

Shekau's terms as known by all are not repentance nor re-integration. Those are Nigeria's offers to the terrorists. For the umpteenth time, Shekau's terms are that Nigeria be governed by Sharia and Islam become the state religion. I'm sure Ndume and Shettima will not take kindly to being labelled the mouthpiece of Boko haram just like south east senators will not be seen as fighting the cause of IPOB. Again be guided!! You are making very serious allegations against people1

Thank God you know Kanu and Shekau want different things. While Kanu is not being diplomatic, at least he is not violent. Shekau is a criminal in the real sense of it. Kanu's conduct is open for debate. That is fundamental.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:54pm On Mar 01, 2020
Commentor:

Yet America went into a nation, bombed it to smithereens on the pretext that they were terrorists.

America lost American lives on foreign soil, caused mental and physical damage not only to Afghans but American citizens who answered the call of duty.
America lost billions of taxpayers revenue on maintaining a carnage that was never desired.

Yet today, they've negotiated with the same set of people even swapping thousands of prisoners as part of the negotiation.

Reprogram your brain.

Stop buying into the narrative that every American decision is justified.

As well, if you justify their action of negotiating with "terrorists", you must accept it is a strategy for creation of peace under extreme circumstances.

You're still being an apologist for the Taliban. It was not on a pretext that they were attacked. It was because they admitted to be harboring Osama and refused to hand him over. Go get that fact right.

America went to war because over 3000 lives were killed on American soil by Taliban backed Al-Qaeda. All the money spent and lives lost were in defence of American territory which was invaded by Al-Qaeda.

Even at that, those who were Taliban leaders then are all dead, very dead. Nobody said all their actions are justified. It is you we are telling not to justify your govt's hobnobbing of terrorists on your own soil with the decision of America to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan after 20years of decimating and plundering the country. You cannot equate external aggression with internal treason. It's an invitation to the furtherance of anarchy.

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 3:05pm On Mar 01, 2020
go4value:

What is the Bokoharam fighting for? independence? You must be daft to compare the two
The same thing Taliban are fighting for,to impose their extreme view of Islam upon all and are ready to use what ever form of violence to achieve it.To try to pain Taliban as anything than terrorist, is being stu-pid.Even the Afghan president rejected the U.S plan of realizing 5000 Taliban prisoners. The funny thing about you people is,what ever U.S do it right. Is as if you people lost the ability to use your brains properly.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 3:11pm On Mar 01, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

You're still being an apologist for the Taliban. It was not on a pretext that they were attacked. It was because they admitted to be harboring Osama and refused to hand him over. Go get that fact right.

America went to war because over 3000 lives were killed on American soil by Taliban backed Al-Qaeda. All the money spent and lives lost were in defence of American territory which was invaded by Al-Qaeda.

Even at that, those who were Taliban leaders then are all dead, very dead. Nobody said all their actions are justified. It is you we are telling not to justify your govt's hobnobbing of terrorists on your own soil with the decision of America to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan after 20years of decimating and plundering the country. You cannot equate external aggression with internal treason. It's an invitation to the furtherance of anarchy.
If Taliban are in U.S soil,they would have negotiated with them long ago. U.K did the same with I.R.A,the whole idea of there is no negotiations with terrorist is laughable, U.S negotiated with Sunni militia in Iraq in 2007 and some how children in this forum kept on singing the tone of America don't negotiate with terrorists.Not ever war can be won in battle fields.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:38pm On Mar 01, 2020
Ibrahimmrfish:

If Taliban are in U.S soil,they would have negotiated with them long ago. U.K did the same with I.R.A,the whole idea of there is no negotiations with terrorist is laughable, U.S negotiated with Sunni militia in Iraq in 2007 and some how children in this forum kept on singing the tone of America don't negotiate with terrorists.Not ever war can be won in battle fields.

If.... you're making assumptions based on no credible evidence. IRA was an Irish army fighting for Irish independence from UK not a band of terrorists fighting to force a religious tenet over the UK. US negotiated in Iraq not in US. Besides, Nigeria is the one offering the terrorists an olive branch. Neither Al-Barnawi nor Shekau have ever sued for peace nor named term for peace before. They have all been about killing till sharia is enforced throughout Nigeria. In other words, what Nigeria is doing is calling on their followers to leave them and come and chop. They are not negotiating with the leaders themselves. What they really hope to achieve with this is anyone's guess as there's no guarantee those you're calling repentant are truly repented especially when their leaders are still active and going strong.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by imam07: 3:42pm On Mar 01, 2020
Gnaeusmagnus:

We had a UN since 1945, after which the US intervention in Vietnam , and the Russian intervention in Afghanistan happened.

You need to read up on gurellia warfare.
I know UN came up after second world War know that united state doesn't go into that kind of war in this generation.if not for world terrorism, US will not involve in all these conflicts.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
imam07:
I know UN came up after second world War know that united state doesn't go into that kind of war in this generation.if not for world terrorism, US will not involve in all these conflicts.

Well, the US went into Vietnam(1956-73), Iraq(since 2003), Somalia (1991-3) and even Lebanon(1981-3), which were very similar conflicts to Afghanistan, and of these conflicts only Iraq had a questionable link to terror against the USA. (Probably Lebanon, but that's a long story)

Russia too went into Afghanistan (1979-89).
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Laurene: 3:50pm On Mar 01, 2020
pacespot:

Fools like you think USA will go to war with a country because of one man if not because of control over Afghan rich minerals deposits. Go and learn more about international politics if you don't know anything, I won't be the one to educate your dumb ass.
assumptions! Assumptions!! Assumptions!!!
Maybe that's the ulterior motive but remember the conventional reason: to terminate Osama.
The US was still wounded by 9/11 then and you are talking about rich mineral deposits.
Don't quote me again you Islamic extremist.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 4:08pm On Mar 01, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

If.... you're making assumptions based on no credible evidence. IRA was an Irish army fighting for Irish independence from UK not a band of terrorists fighting to force a religious tenet over the UK. US negotiated in Iraq not in US. Besides, Nigeria is the one offering the terrorists an olive branch. Neither Al-Barnawi nor Shekau have ever sued for peace nor named term for peace before. They have all been about killing till sharia is enforced throughout Nigeria. In other words, what Nigeria is doing is calling on their followers to leave them and come and chop. They are not negotiating with the leaders themselves. What they really hope to achieve with this is anyone's guess as there's no guarantee those you're calling repentant are truly repented especially when their leaders are still active and going strong.
I.R.A is a terrorist organization, any organization that use violent to achieve their goal is considered a terrorist organization.The I.R.A bombed not only island but also target in England, maybe you were young and can not remember,British considered them a terrorist organization but were force to negotiate with them.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by maasoap(m): 4:35pm On Mar 01, 2020
azimo:

this long write up makes no meaning to me can u make a simple point?

Like I said, I don't blame. It has to do about capacity to process information
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
Ibrahimmrfish:

I.R.A is a terrorist organization, any organization that use violent to achieve their goal is considered a terrorist organization.The I.R.A bombed not only island but also target in England, maybe you were young and can not remember,British considered them a terrorist organization but were force to negotiate with them.
Nigeria considers IPOB a terrorist organization. But are US, UK and France say they are not. IRA were fighting for Irish independence from UK. They employed terror tactics truly, but they were a political outfit just like IPOB. They were not trying to force any religious or political ideology on anyone. Just wanted independence for their fatherland. There is self-determination recognized by the UN
Shekau and his apologists want everyone in Nigeria to convert to islam and for the country to be governed by Sharia. Can you spot the difference?

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Kaytixy: 5:05pm On Mar 01, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:
This is a face saving tactical withdrawal as it is obvious that U S can't win the war against the Talibans. So Talibans are no longer terrorists ? Hmmm, well done sir !
don't mind the fools. They tried to enforce democracy on Afghanistan but couldn't succeed and war continues just like that and the American government continue to incure debts as a result of arms buying and so many logistics. Now they have discovered how hard it could go so they decided to withdraw. They should have asked the Russian government what happened to them when they went to Afghan. They were sent home in body bags by the Taliban fighters.

1 Like

Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:13pm On Mar 01, 2020
Malcolm123:

even with all dis your stories ...it still does not worth it ...losing over 2400 personnel...and don't forget most USA effective attack is through drone ....the soldiers on ground ar just in cage call Barack ....anytym dey move out someone must die among Dem...just lyk wat happen last week.....a Afghan police dey ar training killed 3 soldiers...nothing happen

imagine the sorrow the family of d slain soldiers will be facing now ...useless war .... Taliban still end up taking back d country
You lots keep bandying 2400 soldiers around as if the Taliban was just killing American soldiers for fun with no casualties on their parts. Why don't you put a number on the Afghan soldiers lost in the battle let's see who has lost more
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by asamaigho(m): 5:17pm On Mar 01, 2020
Sodiquinone:

Use the right word defeated
then u r not a good student of history.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 01, 2020
maasoap:

Like I said, I don't blame. It has to do about capacity to process information
which we as black people finds it difficult to reason and process information properly
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by maasoap(m): 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2020
azimo:
which we as black people finds it difficult to reason and process information properly

I don't believe in generalising, I personalised it for you.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:03pm On Mar 01, 2020
they had to....after flooding the world with the heroin trade (they went there to control)...and now that the US has a heroin epidemic, their job is over.
sadly, they didnt count on Fentanyl being a cheaper more potent alternative, thus cutting their profit drastically.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 01, 2020
maasoap:

I don't believe in generalising, I personalised it for you.
which black African countries are civilized and develop today?
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by PapalsBull(m): 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

You lots keep bandying 2400 soldiers around as if the Taliban was just killing American soldiers for fun with no casualties on their parts. Why don't you put a number on the Afghan soldiers lost in the battle let's see who has lost more
Taliban don't care about their casualities. They are fighting for the sake of God according to them, they were promise paradise and virgins shocked, they are considered as martys.

You see, the more you kill, the more Afghans join.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by PapalsBull(m): 7:24pm On Mar 01, 2020

In Kabul, activist Zahra Husseini said she feared the deal could worsen the situation for women in Afghanistan.

"I don't trust the Taliban, and remember how they suppressed women when they were ruling," the 28-year-old told AFP.

"Today is a dark day, and as I was watching the deal being signed, I had this bad feeling that it would result in their return to power rather than in peace."
I pity the women of Afghan, surely these guys are going to implement even harsher and strict sharia law if eventually they found their way to power.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Onlyonebuhari: 7:56pm On Mar 01, 2020
The US can't do without their foot Soldiers that help defeat the USSR. Formal terrorist negotiating with informal terrorists.
Re: US Signs Peace Deal With Afghanistan's Taliban After 18 Years Of War by Legendguru: 8:10pm On Mar 01, 2020
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Joe Biden Orders All US Flags Around The World To Fly At Half-Mast / ECOWAS Issues Last Warning To President Jammeh Ahead Of Barrow's Swear-in / Joe Biden: Details Of The 17 Executive Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.