Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: (27760 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 10:07pm On Jan 11, 2011
I see everyone's point here and I know that many questions will be answered come April when they will give a true picture of events. Till then, we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

This thread should not discourage anyone if they intend to come to the UK to study and then go back home when they graduate especially if they are under sponsorship. It is just meant to inform the great majority of folks who intend to settle after their studies so that they will know what is on ground before they arrive here and also to give them a forum to ask any questions so that the folks on ground will be able to point them in the right direction.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by silentc(m): 2:07am On Jan 12, 2011
debosky:

Let's not get tied up with names/titles - what Tensor is[i] trying[/i] to say is correct. There is a limitation/cap on the number of sponsored work permits that can be obtained (i.e. Tier 2) but there isn't yet such a cap or scrappage of Tier 1 post-study. It has been proposed that this will happen, but till a decision is taken it remains a proposal.

Debosky, from past experience almost all proposals/consultation the UKBA has put out has always been implemented. As such it is wise to assume this one will go forward (i.e Closing Tier 1 PSW route and closing Tier 1 general category).

I agree 100% with you that it is just a proposal, but past experiences has shown that immigration related proposals go ahead. They might be challenged if they are unfair (i.e retrospective laws, human rights ground etc), but I don't think that applies here.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Imani(f): 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2011
kidonig:

I see everyone's point here and I know that many questions will be answered come April when they will give a true picture of events. Till then, we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

This thread should not discourage anyone if they intend to come to the UK to study and then go back home when they graduate especially if they are under sponsorship. It is just meant to inform the great majority of folks who intend to settle after their studies so that they will know what is on ground before they arrive here and also to give them a forum to ask any questions so that the folks on ground will be able to point them in the right direction.

The problem with nigerians is when you try to warn them sometimes, it may come accross as "you are doing well but you dont want them to also do well". I don't bother stopping people from coming to the UK anymore because while some people learn from other people's experiences, some will need to go through it themselves to learn.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jan 12, 2011
Imani:

The problem with nigerians is when you try to warn them sometimes, it may come accross as "you are doing well but you dont want them to also do well". I don't bother stopping people from coming to the UK anymore because while some people learn from other people's experiences, some will need to go through it themselves to learn.
That is not even the point. Who are you to stop anyone from travelling to any country of their choice if they so desire? Anyway people will never stop travelling.Life itself is a journey full of stages

And lets face it if someone for whatever reason is DETERMINED to settle in England after his studies he will definitely find a way to do so. There is nothing new in that. Even people are prepared to go through a million times worse challenges just to cross over to the European mainland. So lets not get too hung up on these tier 1 or tier 2 arguments.

I am still baffled  though why some people here, who are themselves in England, feel that it is necessary to warn others who may be total strangers not to come here.
It makes very little sense moreso as everyone is different and has their own life to live.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Imani(f): 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
No further comment on this topic.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2011
tensor777:

That is not even the point. Who are you to stop anyone from travelling to any country of their choice if they so desire? Anyway people will never stop travelling.Life itself is a journey full of stages
And lets face it if someone for whatever reason is DETERMINED to settle in England after his studies he will definitely find a way to do so. There is nothing new in that. Even people are prepared to go through a million times worse challenges just to cross over to the European mainland. So lets not get too hung up on these tier 1 or tier 2 arguments.
I am still baffled though why some people here, who are themselves in England, feel that it is necessary to warn others who may be total strangers not to come here. It makes very little sense moreso as everyone is different and has their own life to live.

We are only telling them not to listen to door2door sales-man like u who is ready to mislead pple about juicy life in England. We are giving them the 2sides of the story then whoever is coming will be well prepared. The person will know that with diploma course u can only work 10hrs a week now unlike b4 when it was 20hrs, we are telling them that getting a job now is tougher. That is what we are telling prospective students.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2011
And lets face it if someone for whatever reason is DETERMINED to settle in England after his studies he will definitely find a way to do so. There is nothing new in that. Even people are prepared to go through a million times worse challenges just to cross over to the European mainland.

This is why the further restrictions on settlement after study is justified and neccessary
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 12:59am On Jan 13, 2011
tensor777:

And lets face it if someone for whatever reason is DETERMINED to settle in England after his studies he will definitely find a way to do so. I am still baffled  though why some people here, who are themselves in England, feel that it is necessary to warn others who may be total strangers not to come here.

Unless they hope to become illegal immigrants after their study because if no company or organization offers them a Tier 2 sponsorship (the chances of this happening is almost zero) they will either have to leave the country after their post study work runs out (if they don't cancel it by April) or start hiding around and eventually tell lies to seek asylum or look for an EU girl to marry to get their kpali.

My guy (Tensor), stop deceiving people here. For all I know, you might even be an embassy official or school sales rep or even an immigration adviser, who is scared that the money that you make from poor people from "developing" countries will soon go away when people eventually learn that you have been hiding a big trap behind your useless student visa!!!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

Unless they hope to become illegal immigrants after their study because if no company or organization offers them a Tier 2 sponsorship (the chances of this happening is almost zero) they will either have to leave the country after their post study work runs out (if they don't cancel it by April) or start hiding around and eventually tell lies to seek asylum or look for an EU girl to marry to get their kpali.

I don't agree with this - why is the chance of getting sponsorship almost zero?

You are being unduly negative by almost implying that everyone that stays on from Nigeria is in Tier 1, and that virtually no Nigerians get graduate jobs when they finish studying over there in the UK. That is simply not true.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2011
Imani:

No further comment on this topic.
Now look here Madam you need not have contributed anything in the first place as it was all totally pointless. You think people would just spend tens of thousands of pounds to come and study in an English university if they don't even have a proper, well-defined gameplan.
How many  Nigerian students do you know that just come here for the vague, totally unambitious purpose of settlement?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

My guy (Tensor), stop deceiving people here. For all I know, you might even be an embassy official or school sales rep or even an immigration adviser, who is scared that the money that you make from poor people from "developing" countries will soon go away when people eventually learn that you have been hiding a big trap behind your useless student visa!!!
Now look here King Kong I don't even know why you decided to open this thread in the first place. Do you personally have problems deciding what to do after your studies or what? What are your circumstances by the way?
As for your last point it is totally laughable as you would know if you have ever visited an English university recently. The places are teeming with international students from all over the world including very large numbers of Nigerians, so the idea that your own baffling and misleading advice would reverse that is absolutely preposterous.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2011
TitanMoon:

This is why the further restrictions on settlement after study is justified and neccessary
I don't agree with placing restrictions on graduates from UK univsersities with good degrees. After all they are already in the system and have paid their dues so to say.
Apart from that it also gives businesses as wide as possible a talent pool to choose from.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 2:52pm On Jan 13, 2011
Tensor,
do you have any reference for all you have been saying on this thread? Reference in terms of solid data, website or verifiable information so that people can read and see these opportunities that only you seem to be able to see. If you do, please paste the link so that I can read it and so that others will read it to see the various opportunities that you have been talking about and methods of remaining in the UK "if you are determined" apart from the unorthodox methods I mentioned above.

@Debosky,
The same applies to you. Please tell me how many Nigerian graduates from UK universities are on a Tier 2 visa? Its a simple question. And what is the percentage compared to the total number of graduates.

@Tensor,
Please give a valid suggestion as to how people who have come to the end of their Post study work visa can change to a work permit and not
----Go back to a student visa.
----Marry an EU national.
----Seek Asylum.
----Become an illegal immigrant.

If you want to go down the Tier 2 route, please show us all where you got the info as to how many grads are being sponsored and the percentage of the total that they constitute.

Remember that this is in reference to what you said as per "you will settle in the UK if you are determined".

When you do reply, please don't scream loud as that will not win any argument. Just paste facts from the internet so that others will see your point of view.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

@Tensor,
Please give a valid suggestion as to how people who have come to the end of their Post study work visa can change to a work permit and not
----Seek Asylum.
If you want to go down the Tier 2 route, please show us all where you got the info as to how many grads are being sponsored and the percentage of the total that they constitute.
Remember that this is in reference to what you said as per "you will settle in the UK if you are determined".
When you do reply, please don't scream loud as that will not win any argument. Just paste facts from the internet so that others will see your point of view.
You're forgetting one thing here King Kong, the idea that students come here for settlement was your idea not mine. So it is not my duty or even my interest to give advise to such people. Anyway since you asked I would say they are free to go back on a student visa, or marry an EU national if they like.
As for seeking asylum again it is entirely up to them to do so.
The point is that all these do provide an eventual pathway to citizenship  or ILR.
On the other hand, my own candid advice to anyone seeking to become illegal is just to forget about that, cut their losses and head back home. Again I don't expect anyone who is for whatever reason determined to settle here at any costs to heed that advice and that is entirely their own prerogative
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 3:33pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

@Debosky,
The same applies to you. Please tell me how many Nigerian graduates from UK universities are on a Tier 2 visa? Its a simple question. And what is the percentage compared to the total number of graduates.

The burden of proof is on you - you claimed the chance of getting sponsorship is nearly zero. How did you arrive at that claim? Don't you think that is an exaggeration?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2011
In case I have not made myself clear all these moaners and whiners on this thread who have been unable to secure papers that would enable them to remain in England  should just go back home.
It is totally idiotic and myopic for such people  to come here and start whining and ranting about their circumstances here when or if they choose to remain in the UK as  illegal immigrants.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

Tensor,
do you have any reference for all you have been saying on this thread? Reference in terms of solid data, website or verifiable information so that people can read and see these opportunities that only you seem to be able to see. If you do, please paste the link so that I can read it and so that others will read it to see the various opportunities that you have been talking about and methods of remaining in the UK "if you are determined" apart from the unorthodox methods I mentioned above.
See what you're asking in this your raising the bar style of argument. So there are no opportunities for you is that it? Is that why you have been ranting and raving here and even calling England a God forsaken country.
Anyway if you are so unhappy here, why not go back home? Would that not be a much more positive move than just whining or the scaremongering you have been doing on here.?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2011
tensor777:

In case I have not made myself clear all these moaners and whiners on this thread who have been unable to secure papers that would enable them to remain in England should just go back home.
It is totally idiotic and myopic for such people to come here and start whining and ranting about their circumstances here when or if they choose to remain in the UK as illegal immigrants.

No its not, what is idiotic and completely mo .ronic is when u start insulting pple cos they have different point of view
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 5:39pm On Jan 13, 2011
----Seek Asylum.

You CANNOT seek Asylum in the UK. First of all you cannot go to the UK on a student visa and then suddenly seek asylum after your studies, that will never be accepted by the border agency, you cannot seek asylum in this matter.
Second of all Nigeria is on the 'safe countries' list which means that asylum cases are automatically refused, there is no war, famine or natural disaster in Nigeria, you will never be granted asylum so don;t even try.

If you want to live in Britain as an Illegal immigrant, you will be found out, the more years you live in Britain as an illegal immigrant, it means that you have destroyed your career prospects and you educaiton is now useless. Employes do not hire people who have been illegal immigrants for years.

Stop being cockroaches and go back home if you do not meet the criteria, you Nigerians should be ashamed of yourselves, have you no pride, no dignity, your only life ambition is to go to white countries and beg for asylum. To live live a cockroach around white mans shoes.

You disgust me.

I don't agree with placing restrictions on graduates from UK univsersities with good degrees. After all they are already in the system and have paid their dues so to say.

They have NOT paid their dues to stay, they have paid for a university education and nothing more. Coming to the UK for a university educaiton does NOT mean that you are entitled to stay for christ sake.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 13, 2011
TitanMoon:

They have NOT paid their dues to stay, they have paid for a university education and nothing more. Coming to the UK for a university educaiton does NOT mean that you are entitled to stay for christ sake.
Look here my friend, I know you have your own agenda, but can you not see that companies should be free to pick the best and the brightest graduates from UK universities.
Of couse no one is saying that there should be an automatic entitlement for all international graduates to stay on  but that those who meet certain rigourous criteria should be allowed to stay. That is there has to be a policy of attracting the best and the brightest.
I don't see anything wrong there and I don't see how such a move can lead to overcrowding or be a burden on the taxpayer.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by reindeer: 6:56pm On Jan 13, 2011
The facts have been laid out, people will decide what they want.
some will be lucky at the end of their studies and get tier 2,many wont be and will have to go back home,so no big deal
Some will learn from experience,let people deicide what they want.
I am sure anyone who has read through the whole thread will see facts where presented and see conjectures where no facts were made available.
Let them decide.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2011
reindeer:

The facts have been laid out, people will decide what they want.
some will be lucky at the end of their studies and get tier 2,many wont be and will have to go back home,so no big deal
Some will learn from experience,let people deicide what they want.
I am sure anyone who has read through the whole thread will see facts where presented and see conjectures where no facts were made available.
Let them decide.

You are the man. I can't say more than what you just said. Cheers

@ Tensor,
You've called me every name you can think of (King Knog, M.O.R.O.N, S.T.U.P.I.D, Illegal immigrant e.t.c , ) but I will not play the same game with you.
1st of all, I am not an illegal immigrant. I came to the UK as a student and studied in one of the best schools in the UK. I am on the Tier 1 General now. It was only possible for me to do this because of my profession which helped me to earn enough to be able to apply and not because I was exceptional.

I have a lot of friends who have gone back to 9ja because they could not convert from the Post Study Work visa when it came to an end and they left the country cursing and feeling a bit ripped off (hence the God forsaken country in my statement). Of the lot that I schooled with and those that I know who did their B.sc and M.sc here, only 1 (ONE) is on the Tier2 visa and believe me, I know a lot of people. He/She did not get the visa because he was exceptional or the best. He/She got it because of his profession (I think he is in the Health sector).

I also know one or two people who have decided to stay beyond the validity period of their visa which I think is dumb!!

What then is my point? The passion with which you insult people with a dissenting opinion in this thread is quite shocking. Anyone who have passed through the system will know which of us is telling the truth. This thread was created because I saw how people suffer here after they graduate and how they moan that they did not know it will lead them to the dead end they found themselves.

I say it again. If you intend to come to the UK to study and then go back home(and you have a huge financial backing), then thats fine. If you have any intention of settling after your studies, please think carefully and if possible, have an exit strategy for  going back home. Experience is usually the best teacher but you can learn from other peoples experience.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2011
kidonig:

@ Tensor,
You've called me every name you can think of (King Knog, M.O.R.O.N, S.T.U.P.I.D, Illegal immigrant e.t.c , ) but I will not play the same game with you.
1st of all, I am not an illegal immigrant. I came to the UK as a student and studied in one of the best schools in the UK. I am on the Tier 1 General now. It was only possible for me to do this because of my profession which helped me to earn enough to be able to apply and not because I was exceptional.
I have a lot of friends who have gone back to 9ja because they could not convert from the Post Study Work visa when it came to an end and they left the country cursing and feeling a bit ripped off (hence the God forsaken country in my statement). Of the lot that I schooled with and those that I know who did their B.sc and M.sc here, only 1 (ONE) is on the Tier2 visa and believe me, I know a lot of people. He/She did not get the visa because he was exceptional or the best. He/She got it because of his profession (I think he is in the Health sector).
I also know one or two people who have decided to stay beyond the validity period of their visa which I think is dumb!!
What then is my point? The passion with which you insult people with a dissenting opinion in this thread is quite shocking. Anyone who have passed through the system will know which of us is telling the truth. This thread was created because I saw how people suffer here after they graduate and how they moan that they did not know it will lead them to the dead end they found themselves.
Well you can call me passionate and overbearing at times but I just had to set the records straight and challenge the scaremongering tactics of certain elements here and basically let them have it. It really is up to such people to digest or reject  my comments as they deem fit.
You are now saying that you were allowed to move to the tier 1 category because of your profession which of course is one of the criteria the Home Office use to determine eligibility.
Of those your friends that had to  return, again it is not my place to conclude for anyone. They should consider their degree as a lifelong investment that would continue to reap ample rewards over their lifetime.
Finally I would strongly advise anyone who is even thinking of becoming illegal or staying here with expired papers to desist from such negative thoughts and go back home.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2011
I have a lot of friends who have gone back to 9ja because they could not convert from the Post Study Work visa when it came to an end and they left the country cursing and feeling a bit ripped off

Your friends were not ripped off. They paid for a University education. Coming to the UK to study does not mean settlement is gauranteed. They were fully aware of this before they went to the UK, so so they should have been.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2011
^^

As a purported Englishman, I'd have thought you understood the use of the word 'felt' - they didn't say they were ripped off, they simply felt that way.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 11:29pm On Jan 16, 2011
I know full well that they have gained an education but lets tell ourselves the truth. How many Nigerians really intend to go back after their studies? I think its worth conducting a poll on this but I don't want the BHC a tool to use to turn people down,
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 16, 2011
kidonig:

I know full well that they have gained an education but lets tell ourselves the truth. How many Nigerians really intend to go back after their studies? I think its worth conducting a poll on this but I don't want the BHC a tool to use to turn people down,
You really are incorrigible. Do I have to spell out the reasons why you cannot make such blanket statements. Most students are still young ambitious and adventurous when they first come to England for studies. The very idea that most have that myopic view of seeking settlement in England after their studies just beggars belief. What do you take people for. Fine they would consider living here if they are able to secure a good job but that's about it. Some would further their studies either here or elsewhere in the west, some others would go back home and get a job or set up a business.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 1:07am On Jan 17, 2011
^^ You claim someone has made a blanket statement and proceed to make one in return.

You are both expressing opinions, so let's leave it at that.

In any case, the evidence supports kidonig's view - over 40% of Nigerians who came over as students in 2004 are still over there in the UK. It won't be surprising to see the numbers rising further since the introduction of the post-study permit system.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by reindeer: 2:23am On Jan 17, 2011
debosky:

^^ You claim someone has made a blanket statement and proceed to make one in return.

In any case, the evidence supports kidonig's view - over 40% of Nigerians who came over as students in 2004 are still over there in the UK. It won't be surprising to see the numbers rising further after the introduction of the post-study permit system.

BANG!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
debosky:

In any case, the evidence supports kidonig's view - over 40% of Nigerians who came over as students in 2004 are still over there in the UK. It won't be surprising to see the numbers rising further since the introduction of the post-study permit system.
Yes we all have opinions. But what you are now saying is tangential to the main point of the debate between me and this Kid of Niger personality.
The question is how many of those 2004 graduates were able to find graduate jobs? I suspect a great deal of them as at that time the UK economyy was booming and there was subsequently a high demand for skilled labour.
That is not the same thing as coming to Uk to study mainly for the window of opportunity of settlement that is thereby opened.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2011
tensor777:

Yes we all have opinions. But what you are now saying is tangential to the main point of the debate between me and this Kid of Niger personality.
The question is how many of those 2004 graduates were able to find graduate jobs? I suspect a great deal of them as at that time the UK economyy was booming and there was subsequently a high demand for skilled labour.
That is not the same thing as coming to Uk to study mainly for the window of opportunity of settlement that is thereby opened.

It is not the same thing - I accept that. However, there is a strong correlation between those coming to study, getting graduate jobs and then seeking to settle. That link is clearly identified in the UKBA report.

As such, the UK government is DELIBERATELY trying to break the linkage between coming to work in the UK and settlement.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by DeeJay20: 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2011
justwise:

Sadly its one of the proposals, is either its cancelled or only those doing PHD and brightest student will be entitled to it.

You can read it here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/consultations/students/student-consultation.pdf?view=Binary

Just seen the link that you posted Justwise,
These people are really serious,
But i still trying to figure out the End game plan of this policy,

I here the canadians are kind of Begging for Nigerian students and i kind of know why lol!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Passengers Escape Death As Two Vehicles Plunge Into Swamp In Enugu (Photos) / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.