Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? (26511 Views)

Niger Delta Oil Spills Clean-up Will Take 30 Years, Says UN - Guardian UK (2011) / See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / Buhari First Blunder Why I Oppose Relocation Of Military Command-ifeduba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 4:49am On Jan 01, 2011
ftmom:

Hi kobojunkie  smiley Been watching this thread for a while now, these topics never fail to degenerate into a Diaspora vs home based argument. . . . .  sad

N2m per month  and more is a reality, whether folks believe it or not and you don't have to be the CEO to earn that.

I'm surprised people are shocked at the figure, it is after all NI-GE-RIA y'all!! Will confess though, it is predominant in the oil and gas sector.

Happy New year @Ftmom

I was wondering when you would show up on the thread. I did suggest @Baylor open a new thread probably to get you to speak a bit more to him on what he should expect, should he move to Lagos.

The original @Poster is in IT, and I know for a fact that such is not only available for senior IT persons here but also available to all, no matter the color or gender. Could you please elaborate a bit more on the jobs that pay 2 million and above, so those us who are interested could know if we at least have the base requirements or are even in the right field.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 5:06am On Jan 01, 2011
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 5:14am On Jan 01, 2011
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by wazobiaN9(m): 8:52am On Jan 01, 2011
To answer your questions at the beginning of the thread-

1. Yes, i think you're mad for unilaterally labelling yourself a patriot

2. The challenges are those you'd find in a third world country,,,,, you can google that up

3. 2million naira/month may or may not be sufficient depending on your lifestyle,,,, earning that much per month puts you in a class of the privileged few in Nigeria!!! In fact, convert the 2million naira to pounds,,,,, what do you think!!!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by invisible2(m): 8:59am On Jan 01, 2011
baylor:

I am really loving this trend but please I would be glad if anyone in Nigeria could please let me know what I can earn in Nigeria and how it will be spent using the fomat below.i am a normal guy who wants to relocate and continue living my life in Nigeria happily.

I am not looking to forward to 2M per month and I'm not really bordered about bad roads or poor power supply as I have only lived in the Uk for just 6 years, all I am worried about is my career and earnings  in about 5 years to this time .

Below is a snapshot of my present situation and as u can see it's not looking very  great and I am not ready to be involved in any illegit activity.

I would  also appreciate comments from naira land members in the Uk who might know a better way of addressing this issue rather than relocating.

Thanks

Qualifications:uk degree  Bsc Accouting (2:1)+ ACCA

40 hrs A week Job                       £                   *NGN

Gross Annual Income                    25,000                6,000,000

Net Montly Income (After tax)    1,600                  384,000

[b]Monthly Expenses

House Rent (1 Bedroom Flat)     600                   144,000

Council Tax                             110                  26,400

Gas & Electricity Bill                     70                   16,800

Water bill                                      35                     8,400

Mobile Phone (1000 munites)      30                     7,200

Land phone +  Broadband Internet    30                     7,200

Calling Card (Nigeria)                      15                      3,600

Television Licence                       12                       2,880

Sky Tv                                       30                      7,200

Economist + Financial time
Suscription                               14                       3,360

Professional Body membeship
subscripton (Mandatory)  £190 PA 16                        3,840

Road Tax @ £125 PA                     10                        2,400

Car Insurance                                100                     24,000

Fuel                                                60                        14,400

Hair cut @ £8 3 times a month           24                         5,760

Grocery @ £60 per week               240                        57,600

Fast food/ Takeaway /beer/
wine/cinema                               40                          9,600

Bank Current Account fee               6                          1,440

Health care                               0                             0

FamilyAssistance                       40                          9,600

Personal Savings                       100                     24,000

Total monthly Expenses               1,582           379,680

To say am shocked at this high expenses is an understatement. Wetin remain na? Some secondary school leavers save more money in lower paying jobs here. Anyway, its about the quality of the service you enjoy, but I rather earn low, endure some discomfort and save big than earn high, enjoy the latest fads and end up with nothing.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by jaybee3(m): 9:02am On Jan 01, 2011
@baylor
open a separate thread so we can advice you how to increase ur savings to 300 quid a month.
Your outgoings are on the excessive side
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by invisible2(m): 9:34am On Jan 01, 2011
And for those thinking they deserve to walk into big job positions in Indian/Arab owned companies, well I think you guys need to wake up from your daydreams. How can you be so mentally lazy as to assume that just because you are Nigerian, you will be given preference over their people?
These indians built their companies, what were you doing then, jumping around the globe while foreigners are digging gold at your backyard. You guys dont realiize this, one day you come home and discover there is no space for you here, all the lands in your area have been used for one giant estate owned by a Pakistani!
Just be ready to pay for rent in your father's village.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Boboribo: 10:05am On Jan 01, 2011
Now, Lets reverse it

UK employers are seeking Africans to fill medical, construction, sales, customer service, accounting & teaching job openings - www.workjobsuk.com
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 10:11am On Jan 01, 2011
invisible!:

And for those thinking they deserve to walk into big job positions in Indian/Arab owned companies, well I think you guys need to wake up from your daydreams. How can you be so mentally lazy as to assume that just because you are Nigerian, you will be given preference over their people?
These indians built their companies, what were you doing then, jumping around the globe while foreigners are digging gold at your backyard. You guys dont realiize this, one day you come home and discover there is no space for you here, all the lands in your area have been used for one giant estate owned by a Pakistani!

You have summarised it all.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Roforofo(m): 10:33am On Jan 01, 2011
Wow. Great thread. It is amazing that there is a burning desire to go home deep within many of us who live abroad. I love Nigeria and despite 14 years abroad I only feel truly at home eating suya and nursing my stout with friends at abe igi in Ogba!!! grin I can't live in Nigeria though as I am not prepared to beg anyone for contracts etc. I am pretty wealthy now and grateful to Europe for the post grad education and excellent work opportunities I received which have allowed me to be who I am today and given me a passport that allows me to travel the world without being treated like a thief but I have never forgotten my country and I have set up a scholarship for poor kids from my hometown. I guess for those of us who can't return permanently things like charity/volunteering may be one way of staying connected to our people and culture.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by DisGuy: 11:27am On Jan 01, 2011
Baylor, £240 groceries, are you sure its only you in the house?
£100/m for insurance, are you a new driver?

your expenses are on the very high side, your land phone/internet/sky could be lumped together

But then again, some expenses in Nigeria will be taken up with Healthcare cost if your company don't cover it
You'll def get same pay rate in nigerian companies esp if you have good work experience
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lonewolf: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2011
cap28:

Hmm i think that you've been severly traumatised by the gang bangers in jail who took turns on you, you are now in the most extreme stages of post traumatic stress disorder and this is manifested in your off the wall and unhinged over sexualised day dreams, your psychosis is now entering a very critical stage and your best bet now is full ECT (electro convulsive therapy) to kick start your brain.  This treatment is normally reserved for patients who manifest advanced stages of psychosis, you definitely fit into that category, can i recommned a few hospitals for you or are the men in white coats knocking on your door as we speak?

You're still talking smack? Blaady dimwit. Your impeccable references to mental hospitals leads me to believe that you are currently a resident in one of them. Do they allow you retards use the internet?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by vanitty: 1:15pm On Jan 01, 2011
@ Baylor, it seems you are a fresh graduate,  if you are, my friend we have all been in the situation before anyway ,  first thing first, why rent a bedroom flat undecided.?? A room is enough for now. In london, it is  ~400 inclusive with bills in almost every reasonable place in London, there are some places you could get as low as 280 pounds. With that, you are saving at least 400 pounds on rent, water tax etc.

Everything else is reasonable but what the heck are you eating for 240 pounds per month. undecided . You could easily be saving at least 500 pounds more every month

One more thing, why don't you get a bundle. Sky TV + Broadband + Landphone - it is way cheaper
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by cap28: 1:57pm On Jan 01, 2011
lonewolf:

You're still talking smack? Blaady dimwit. Your impeccable references to mental hospitals leads me to believe that you are currently a resident in one of them. Do they allow you retards use the internet?

Hannibal have you come back for further diagnosis of your mental state? It must be mental torture to be in your shoes, no girlfriend, no friends and very bleak employment prospects. You have to understand that you are mentally unfit to interact at close proximity with sane people therefore the sooner you are sectioned under the mental health act the better for all unsuspecting members of the public.

Bro when you are eventually sectioned explain to the psychiatric nurses the horrors that you were subjected to at the hands of your numerous "boyfriends", try and see if they can arrange to keep you in solitary confinement in order to avoid a repeat of the extensive sexual abuse that caused your mental breakdown, good luck.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 01, 2011
cap28:

Hannibal have you come back for further diagnosis of your mental state? It must be mental torture to be in your shoes, no girlfriend, no friends and very bleak employment prospects. You have to understand that you are mentally unfit to interact at close proximity with sane people therefore the sooner you are sectioned under the mental health act the better for all unsuspecting members of the public.

Bro when you are eventually sectioned explain to the psychiatric nurses the horrors that you were subjected to at the hands of your numerous "boyfriends", try and see if they can arrange to keep you in solitary confinement in order to avoid a repeat of the extensive sexual abuse that caused your mental breakdown, good luck.

grin grin grin grin
On a year day ? Abeg,free this guy.lmao
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 3:17pm On Jan 01, 2011
Thanks to all my Naija brothers and sisters for your contributions.

As for cap28 and lonewolf, please grow up and stop bickering over nothing.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 3:35pm On Jan 01, 2011
lonewolf:

Inherent means that all Nigerians suffer from an inferiority complex. Of course, this is demonstrably false in so many respects that's it almost a fool's errand to even begin to attempt to assail your contention. I'll make a few points, however.

Slow your roll - it doesn't have to manifest in all Nigerians for it to be a dominant trait. There is a general preference for things foreign in Nigeria - some exceptions do not change that.

First, that Nigerian employers, etc., attach more value to the ability of foreigners and their degrees is traceable, mostly, to the fact that Nigeria has collapsed in practically all respects -- i.e. educationally, systemically, you name it. Nigerian old G's tell the story -- as I am sure your parents do -- that things used to be better. While I accept that there are many smart Nigerians who haven't even studied abroad and are perfectly capable, as a matter of practicality, against the backdrop of how things have fallen apart in Nigeria, it's not difficult to see why foreigners and their degrees get more respect.

This is a lazy argument defeated my numerous cases of people without degrees, qualifications or experience being drafted in just to have a 'white face' involved, knowing that people (especially those in government) will fall for a foreign face, even if the person is obviously unqualified. This did not happen when Nigeria 'collapsed' and has been evident since the 50's when Syrians and Lebanese first started making their inroads into Nigeria.

This is less about degrees and the like and more about a fundamental distrust of things indigenous.

Second, with regard to Indians. I don't think we should be dissing a country that is a major emerging market and is getting the business of governance down to a tee. We do not have the moral latitude to. Even the good book says something about removing the log in your eye first before attempting to remove the speck in the Indian's eye.

Maybe you need to read my post again and distinguish between India and Indians. Like you so eloquently said, it will be a fool's errand to begin to elaborate on the wide disparity between individual citizens of a country and a country's governance.

So because their country is 'good', Nigerians should stand aside and allow Indians to get preferential treatment until we remove the log in our eyes? Ridiculous assertion. I don't care how 'organised' they are - no one should be given greater regard than Nigerians in their own country. Many of those Indians and Arabs are treated better purely because they are foreign over and above qualifications.

My point still stands - an irrational acceptance of all things foreign without a measured assessment of what the parties bring to the country as a whole is wrong and detrimental. The fact that a few individuals have benefited from such an arrangement should not blind us from looking at the benefits to the nation as a whole.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by baylor: 4:42pm On Jan 01, 2011
Thanks i have opened another discussion on the career section
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by baylor: 5:18pm On Jan 01, 2011
@ vanitty Thanks for your advice .you are right I am a fresh graduate but a matured  one.I agree with you on the rent issue but this is one of the reason why i think maybe London is not a place for me for now cos at this age I don't want to live in a box room despite all my effort to better my life over the past years.

well , on grocery  I spend 60 pounds or more weekly @ tescos  not only on food but other things as well .i spend up to £5 a week on seedless grape fruit and dats just 1 of the fruits  I like.

I know hw 240 sounds but i too did not believe it until i actually monitored it closely including my shoping at 9ja store monthly.I suggest everyone do the same.

I do not foresee any sign of wage increase even though Im worth up to 36K with my ACCA in uk.

this breakdown does not include other things like buying cloths,shoes or perfume etc.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lonewolf: 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2011
cap28:

Hannibal have you come back for further diagnosis of your mental state?  It must be mental torture to be in your shoes, no girlfriend, no friends and very bleak employment prospects.  You have to understand that you are mentally unfit to interact at close proximity with sane people therefore the sooner you are sectioned under the mental health act the better for all unsuspecting members of the public. 

Bro when you are eventually sectioned explain to the psychiatric nurses the horrors that you were subjected to at the hands of your numerous "boyfriends",  try and see if they can arrange to keep you in solitary confinement in order to avoid a repeat of the extensive sexual abuse that caused your mental breakdown, good luck.

It's not difficult to see why your got deported. With a penchant for unprompted ramblings, it was always inevitable. Projecting your insanity onto others clearly makes you feel better. Read your posts, see what you are rambling about and kill yourself. You are angry at life. You are angry at your parents. You are angry because you are a failure. Lmao. But as I have said, it's clear that you are struggling with a brain power that's fatally limited and an IQ that hovers slightly over minus 0.0000674.

E-whoopings unlimited bruv.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lonewolf: 5:56pm On Jan 01, 2011
debosky:

Slow your roll - it doesn't have to manifest in all Nigerians for it to be a dominant trait. There is a general preference for things foreign in Nigeria - some exceptions do not change that.

This is a lazy argument defeated my numerous cases of people without degrees, qualifications or experience being drafted in just to have a 'white face' involved, knowing that people (especially those in government) will fall for a foreign face, even if the person is obviously unqualified. This did not happen when Nigeria 'collapsed' and has been evident since the 50's when Syrians and Lebanese first started making their inroads into Nigeria.

This is less about degrees and the like and more about a fundamental distrust of things indigenous.

Maybe you need to read my post again and distinguish between India and Indians. Like you so eloquently said, it will be a fool's errand to begin to elaborate on the wide disparity between individual citizens of a country and a country's governance.

So because their country is 'good', Nigerians should stand aside and allow Indians to get preferential treatment until we remove the log in our eyes? Ridiculous assertion. I don't care how 'organised' they are - no one should be given greater regard than Nigerians in their own country. Many of those Indians and Arabs are treated better purely because they are foreign over and above qualifications.

My point still stands - an irrational acceptance of all things foreign without a measured assessment of what the parties bring to the country as a whole is wrong and detrimental. The fact that a few individuals have benefited from such an arrangement should not blind us from looking at the benefits to the nation as a whole.

I am unclear as to your point exactly. All I see is a conflation of distinct concepts and issues. If you agree that the country, her institutions, her systems, etc., has collapsed, how can it then be the case that you still expect regard to be accorded to qualifications, degrees, business proposals, etc., that emanate from the same systems which you agree has gone to the toilet -- when placed comparatively against those emanating from elsewhere?

Your analysis is more contradictory that a chaste stripper.

At the end of the day, Nigerians according more respect to foreigners, their qualifications, and so forth, is connected more to anthropological complexities and inclinations that needs serious analysis than it is to pressing economic realities that governments and employers face when they have to choose between a Nigerian thing and a foreign thing. You need to recognise the reality of that distinction. If you don't still understand that, it's flying over your head.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by dremoney(m): 6:48pm On Jan 01, 2011
One fundamental truth i have come to realise is the fact that Nigerians abroad will never ever and ever encourage anyone to go back simply because they know & are fully and consiously aware of the fact that you are leaving them for good.Its not all about the light,road and stuff.People still end up being depressed than Nigerians at home.Its not all about money or services.

The poster had humbly analysed how much he earns and save at the end of the end and from what i have seen as alternatives to save more, he has got to live in a box (£280pm),spend less on quality food and stuff.

We all need to be sincere jare,each and everyone should be able to decide where is best. He is obviously living from hand to mouth,saving as much as a bus conductor in lagos. At the end of the day,what counts is your achievement not certificate or work experience or some nonsense skill. If i am an illiterate like a typical Alaba boy and build a solid duplex, whatever the PHd holder beside me does or earns is his flipping business. All the hypocrites in favour of Uk, how many of you can honestly raise your most valuable hand and say you are far better off your friends at the same level and age in Nigeria (Not the ones who stopped education years ago o,colleagues as educated as you with the same experience).

This is all delusion please, UK is finished.Stop deceiving yourselves.The only class of professionals who have a very good reason to forever live here are Healthcare,IT and Investment bankers who are fortunate. Everyone is on credit, living from hand to mouth, saving for months to blow in three weeks in Nigeria. From education to house to car to electronics to phone to furniture are all with credit.

@poster,life is a risk. If you will have to hassle for a job in Uk,get one and cannot boast of a reasonale savings at the end of the day,its no point wasting your time if you have bigger dreams for yourself (some folks are quite comfortable with that actually). Its the same everywhere now,its only God who favours. Better you go back home and let your people see what is left than wasting more time. The thing about Nigeria is not to get the job but once you have it, the rest is history.

Dont listen to hypocrites who have got nowhere to go. It is entirely up to you to make up your mind, shun what people will say and chase your future. Nigeria is bad but people seriously make it big professionally. At the brink of war but its people who will face it. They kill and assault everyday in UK. My house was burgled and 42inch tv stolen.The police came and did nothing. All this is fantansy.If you have a good job,stay back.If you think Nigeria might be better,take the risk.Where is the job in UK anyway? mshew
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by jchublue: 7:10pm On Jan 01, 2011
I have read some of the comments here, some funny, some outrightly ridiculous, some moot.

I believe that we are all citizens of the world, and can live and work anywhere they please on God's green earth. Mobility of labour is a 21st Century concept, anyway.

@OP: when you move to Nigeria, you will find out that earning N2m will not eradicate some of the challenges you will face. Nigeria is a land of "bosses from hell"

Please everyone should check out this funny blog article: http://woahnigeria./2010/10/04/bosses-from-hell/
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 8:54pm On Jan 01, 2011
invisible!:

frosbel thinks he deserves to earn higher than the company owner because the company is in his country  grin grin dat nicca deserves the pulitzer price for the most 'obtuse reasoning' in the history of mankind  grin grin happy new year frosbel  grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 8:57pm On Jan 01, 2011
i see ma niccas lonewolf and cap28 still delivering the body-slams and uppercuts and choke-holds and flying kicks cheesy
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 9:01pm On Jan 01, 2011
baylor:

@ vanitty Thanks for your advice .you are right I am a fresh graduate but a matured  one.I agree with you on the rent issue but this is one of the reason why i think maybe London is not a place for me for now cos at this age I don't want to live in a box room despite all my effort to better my life over the past years.

well , on grocery  I spend 60 pounds or more weekly @ tescos  not only on food but other things as well .i spend up to £5 a week on seedless grape fruit and dats just 1 of the fruits  I like.

I know hw 240 sounds but i too did not believe it until i actually monitored it closely including my shoping at 9ja store monthly.I suggest everyone do the same.

I do not foresee any sign of wage increase even though Im worth up to 36K with my ACCA in uk.

this breakdown does not include other things like buying cloths,shoes or perfume etc.

those seedless grapes do be banging  grin i am quite partial to the red ones myself. they taste oh so heavenly and exquisite. a gastronomic O.rgasm, if you will.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 9:06pm On Jan 01, 2011
dremoney:

One fundamental truth i have come to realise is the fact that Nigerians abroad will never ever and ever encourage anyone to go back simply because they know & are fully and consiously aware of the fact that you are leaving them for good.Its not all about the light,road and stuff.People still end up being depressed than Nigerians at home.Its not all about money or services.

The poster had humbly analysed how much he earns and save at the end of the end and from what i have seen as alternatives to save more, he has got to live in a box (£280pm),spend less on quality food and stuff.

We all need to be sincere jare,each and everyone should be able to decide where is best. He is obviously living from hand to mouth,saving as much as a bus conductor in lagos. At the end of the day,what counts is your achievement not certificate or work experience or some nonsense skill. If i am an illiterate like a typical Alaba boy and build a solid duplex, whatever the PHd holder beside me does or earns is his flipping business. All the hypocrites in favour of Uk, how many of you can honestly raise your most valuable hand and say you are far better off your friends at the same level and age in Nigeria (Not the ones who stopped education years ago o,colleagues as educated as you with the same experience).

This is all delusion please, UK is finished.Stop deceiving yourselves.The only class of professionals who have a very good reason to forever live here are Healthcare,IT and Investment bankers who are fortunate. Everyone is on credit, living from hand to mouth, saving for months to blow in three weeks in Nigeria. From education to house to car to electronics to phone to furniture are all with credit.

@poster,life is a risk. If you will have to hassle for a job in Uk,get one and cannot boast of a reasonale savings at the end of the day,its no point wasting your time if you have bigger dreams for yourself (some folks are quite comfortable with that actually). Its the same everywhere now,its only God who favours. Better you go back home and let your people see what is left than wasting more time. The thing about Nigeria is not to get the job but once you have it, the rest is history.

Dont listen to hypocrites who have got nowhere to go. It is entirely up to you to make up your mind, shun what people will say and chase your future. Nigeria is bad but people seriously make it big professionally. At the brink of war but its people who will face it. They kill and assault everyday in UK. My house was burgled and 42inch tv stolen.The police came and did nothing. All this is fantansy.If you have a good job,stay back.If you think Nigeria might be better,take the risk.Where is the job in UK anyway? mshew
as the p.imps in the milwaukee p.imp convention will say. 'ccccchurrchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 9:35pm On Jan 01, 2011
lonewolf:

I am unclear as to your point exactly. All I see is a conflation of distinct concepts and issues.

You need to be able to ingest information from distinct sources and arrive at a conclusion. Apparently you cannot achieve that.

Simply put, the failure of national institutions is not the sole cause of a preference for things foreign. The general preponderant disregard for things local is so ingrained that it will often cloud the decision making of those who should know better. To imagine you can nicely separate the influences is like thinking you can remove all your ingrained learnings from childhood.

If you agree that the country, her institutions, her systems, etc., has collapsed, how can it then be the case that you still expect regard to be accorded to qualifications, degrees, business proposals, etc., that emanate from the same systems which you agree has gone to the toilet -- when placed comparatively against those emanating from elsewhere?

For the umpteenth time, the regard given is not simply due to the failure of the Nigerian system but grounded in a bias for things foreign. This is clearly demonstrated in a preference being displayed even before the collapse of the system - the system collapse has simply exacerbated the problem. If you can't comprehend that, then I can't help you.

Your analysis is more contradictory that a chaste stripper.

We'd all like to think everything is nice and simple - it takes perceptiveness to appreciate the complex and often contradictory nature of life in Nigeria.

At the end of the day, Nigerians according more respect to foreigners, their qualifications, and so forth, is connected more to anthropological complexities and inclinations that needs serious analysis than it is to pressing economic realities that governments and employers face when they have to choose between a Nigerian thing and a foreign thing. You need to recognise the reality of that distinction. If you don't still understand that, it's flying over your head.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one - human beings are notoriously unable to be fully distinguish the drivers behind their behaviour. The entrenched bias in many people goes so deep that even the people making the decisions will not be able to separate these drivers as you imagine. They are both part of the mix and are ultimately inextricable.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2011
you know the preference for foreign things is not the exclusive reserve of nigerians. even in america, they have a preference for european things. in europe, they have a preference for american things. it is what it is. human nature is such that you shun what is in abundance to you and pine for that which is different and rare.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 9:52pm On Jan 01, 2011
^^ But not to the point of denigrating your own. During the gulf oil spill, the 'pride' of the US in their technological strength made them restrict foreigners coming in to help out with the recovery efforts.

Pining for a touch of something foreign is not the same as perennially treating your people as less capable.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 10:16pm On Jan 01, 2011
debosky:

^^ But not to the point of denigrating your own. During the gulf oil spill, the 'pride' of the US in their technological strength made them restrict foreigners coming in to help out with the recovery efforts.

Pining for a touch of something foreign is not the same as perennially treating your people as less capable.
you know patriotism is great but at what point does reality kick in ? the reality of the fact is that most nigerians are incapable of extending themselves beyond book smarts. nigerians are too busy acquiring masters and phds to usurp each other for bragging points, titles and white collar jobs. it is what it is. we need revamp from the ground up but until that happens ? resorting to more technologically advanced nations is not a knock on your patriotism. we need a revamp in mentality as a people. we need a revamp in leadership. everyone has a role to play. the man on the streets need to reverse this mindset of acquiring useless degrees for bragging rights. folks need to start admiring the machinists, the plumbers, the people who build and repair the roads, the bricklayers, the builders, the hands on folk. these are the people nigeria needs. we need to revamp our mindset. stop respecting these un-productive stiffs with phds. and the govts role will be to fund more technology schools. only then can we back our patriotism with hiring our own. until then ? there will always be a preference for foreigners because nigerians cant do jack beyond get A,s in school

and on a side note, nigerians are not as unpatriotic as americans. americans and the british are the most unpatriotic people in the world. every white british citizens dream is to move out of britain to canada, australia, spain, portugal, new zealand or south africa. and they are all running out of britain in droves. no indigenous british person has any good thing to say about britain. the same goes for most americans too. they are always moaning, whining and bitching about their countrys .

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply)

Presidency Intervenes In Dokubo-Asari’s Arrest / Ex-Governor Amodu Sherrif's Son's Wedding (Photos) / Late Maitama Sule: Goodluck Jonathan Leads PDP Stalwarts To Kano For Condolence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.