Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy (14106 Views)

Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Nigerians Expect A Lot From You, Obasanjo Tells Buhari / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ekubear1: 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2011
Igbo democracy is fine at the local level. But is not suitable for a modern nation state.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

There is no such thing as half Igbo in traditional Igbo culture. You are either Igbo or you are not. And the only way you can be considered Igbo is if your father is Igbo.

This is my culture and I will stand by that view.

Now stop making my topic personal and learn to listen.

you should learn to me

i am telling u i am half igbo and u are telling me crap,,,,,, yes ikwerre is not igbo nor ika but u start shouting they are igbo is there father igbo undecided
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:41pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Igbo democracy is fine at the local level. But is not suitable for a modern nation state.

why is that Although, i agree with you but i want to know YOUR  reasons
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:41pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Igbo democracy is perfect for the local level. And once you get from the local level, people can elect officials who represent them nationally. We do not have this sort of participatory democracy in Nigeria.

That is my problem with the system of government that we have currently set up.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ikeyman00(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

poster

we the igbos always know that!! gbam

just do not give in to the nuisance and kolos in here

the tribalists dey here

some will even argue like a kolo-mental being u know

just like in my town; a meeting was held to raise money to build a mulit-complex hall; even women raise their share to build things

how many of them can say the same of their village

even in the past a yoruba commentary once wrote only the igbos in uk will get togerther to discuss the issue about back home but the same cant be said about the yoruba

call on them so long as it isnt owambe to see how many that shows up shocked shocked shocked shocked

here they are dey run mouth angry like they dnt know

the truth must live
im afraid

we should be looking for something that define us to copying all white-made
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:43pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason, no vex o.  Just wanted to make Akhenaten a little more comfortable in this section.

Pan Africanists seem to have strong views on certaon issues, so wld like to encourage postings/contributions fron him in the politics section.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Igbo democracy is perfect for the local level[b]. And once you get from the local level, people can elect officials who represent them nationally. We do not have this sort of participatory democracy in Nigeria.[/b]

That is my problem with the system of government that we have currently set up.
Why not? is it not the local politics that would determine YOUR national politics?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

poster

the tribalists dey here

just like in my town; a meeting was held to raise money to build a mulit-complex hall; even women raise their share to build things

even in the past a yoruba commentary once wrote only the igbos in uk will get togerther to discuss the issue about back home but the same cant be said about the yoruba

call on them so long as it isnt owambe to see how many that shows up shocked shocked shocked shocked

the truth must live
im afraid

Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

poster

the tribalists dey here

the truth must live
im afraid

mumu i am igbo and i do not follow ur views,,, to make your point , u do not have to insult other groups undecided
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:49pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

Why not? is it not the local politics that would determine YOUR national politics?

Local politics in Nigeria never go beyond the state level in Nigeria. Nigeria is not even a practicing democracy. It can't even be considered a Republic, because it doesn't represent the views of the people. Does the Nigerian gov't represent your views?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeymann, an ill mannered ethnic bigot has landed.

Am out!
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ikeyman00(m): 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
@@@@@@@@@

the oracle has spoken
im afraid

aboki u heard me right there
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ekubear1: 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

why is that Although, i agree with you but i want to know YOUR  reasons

Defense, economic policy, and many other national issues need a centralized authority to make decisions. You cannot really "direct democracy" certain things that a nation needs.

Also, direct democracy is a bit dangerous. People sometimes are interested in what is only convenient for right now, even though it is harmful in the longterm.

Igbo democracy is useful for a town or small political unit. But for governing an entire state, much less an entire nation. . . doesn't seem quite appropriate to me.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ikeyman00(m): 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@

haaaaaaahha these fools dnt know what they are doing

the poster only just registered in nl

we ve been here long enough so we know u all quite well

tribalsit bigots as it get

and as the poster moves along he will know what yall like

soon they tell us becomrich makes sense

listen let me tell yall this is 2011; quit plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@

the oracle has spoken
im afraid

aboki u heard me right there

u dey craze, who be aboki angry   i am not your friend angry i love every group in nigeria and i try to respect them in every suitiation but your brother Akhenaten hypocrite can no tell u off after u posted trash,, and that is why igbos on NL will keep thinking the whole world is against them, smh angry

i have igbo origin, and i will speak the truth when it is deserved
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by asha80(m): 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Defense, economic policy, and many other national issues need a centralized authority to make decisions. You cannot really "direct democracy" certain things that a nation needs.

Also, direct democracy is a bit dangerous. People sometimes are interested in what is only convenient for right now, even though it is harmful in the longterm.

Igbo democracy is useful for a town or small political unit. But for governing an entire state, much less an entire nation. . . doesn't seem quite appropriate to me.

i think this a bad side of the 'traditional democracy'.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Exactly! I used the "too many mouths talking" anology earlier. We are saying the same thing.

Akhenaten:

Local politics in Nigeria never go beyond the state level in Nigeria. Nigeria is not even a practicing democracy. It can't even be considered a Republic, because it doesn't represent the views of the people. Does the Nigerian gov't represent your views?

Nationally, NO. Regionally or locally, yes since we are the ones electing them undecided

edited: nationally no because my ideas might not be your ideas.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by ikeyman00(m): 10:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
Quote from: eku_bear on Today at 09:51:24 PM

what has that got to do with issues here

im afraid this is nonesens and i think its inconclusive to say the least

we arent talking about stock-market u know
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
ikeyman00:

Quote from: eku_bear on Today at 09:51:24 PM
what has that got to do with issues here

im afraid this is nonesens and i think its inconclusive to say the least

we arent talking about stock-market u know

What is your contribution to this thread? You just ruined an interesting argument undecided
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Afam4eva(m): 10:10pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

mumu i am igbo and i do not follow your views,,, to make your point , u do not have to insult other groups undecided

Pls stop claiming what you're not. Even you live Igbos so much just marry an Igbo wife if she'll agree.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem11(m): 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2011
afam4eva:

Pls stop claiming what you're not. Even you live Igbos so much just marry an Igbo wife if she'll agree.

and can you stop claiming that i am not something that clearly am

if it was an ikwerri man that says he is igbo would u not accept him,,,why me that even have an igbo origin, u all will say i am not
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

This, we can learn from the yoruba or benin system of government. grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Dede1(m): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
It is amazing how ethnic bias could blur intellectual capacity of certain folks to grasp the existence of basic and culturally induced democracy in Igbo land even when they have sort of fundamental links in Igbo land.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Afam4eva(m): 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem1:

and can you stop claiming that i am not something that clearly am

Clearly am? Is it your Aboki username or the fact that you're always anti-Igbo that clearly shows that you're Igbo. By the way which village is your mother from.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem11(m): 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2011
Dede1:

It is amazing how ethnic bias could blur intellectual capacity of certain folks to grasp the existence of basic and culturally induced democracy in Igbo land even when they have sort of fundamental links in Igbo land.

i see no ethnic blur here, the only ethnic blur was from ikeyman00
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem11(m): 10:33pm On Jan 08, 2011
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem11(m): 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
afam4eva:

Clearly am? Is it your Aboki username or the fact that you're always anti-Igbo that clearly shows that you're Igbo. By the way which village is your mother from.

so me with a northern username make me an aboki ??

afam can you please tell me how i am anti-igbo,,, please show me which thrend i have posted hate against my igbo people

i really really want to know how anti-igbo i am

if it's because i speak the true then u have to watch my post closly because i do the samr to the yorubas and northerners
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
Dede1:

I am confused. No one said that democracy cannot be learnt from the igbos. All they are saying is it can only work in the local level. Nationally, it would not work because your country does not only consist of igbos but yorubas, hausas and over 250 other groups. What might work for the Ndigbo community might not work for the benins and vis-versa. Btw, why don't we learn from the yorubas and binis? I still prefer their type of democracy where the cheifs talk to a central ruler before a decision is made. That way, power would not be centralised.mo.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Dede1(m): 10:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

This, we can learn from the yoruba or benin system of government. grin

It is an arrant nonsense to suggest we learn defense or economic policy from Yoruba or Benin system of government when both capitulated at sight of British soldiers. It must be recall Ndigbo clandestinely resisted British influence till the time of amalgamation of the Protectorates.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 08, 2011
Dede1:

and who has doubted the egalitarian nature of ibo here ?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by asha80(m): 10:39pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

I am confused. No one said that democracy cannot be learnt from the igbos. All they are saying is it can only work in the local level. Nationally, it would not work because your country does not only consist of igbos but yorubas, hausas and over 250 other groups. What might work for the Ndigbo community might not work for the benins and vis-versa. Btw, why don't we learn from the yorubas and binis? I still prefer their type of democracy where the cheifs talk to a central ruler before a decision is made. That way, power would not be centralised.mo.

i hope you know that their power is more centralized in their type of government more than the igbos.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 10:42pm On Jan 08, 2011
asha 80:

i hope you know that their power is more centralized in their type of government more than the igbos.

Yes I know. I also know that it is less centralised than the hausa's type of feudal government. This one of the reasons why I prefer it. It can be a meeting point for the two opposite types of government ( igbos and hausa).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG May Fly Governor Suntai Abroad For Treatment / PDP Makes U-Turn, Denies Saying APC Has Islamic Agenda. / President Buhari Signs Executive Order Revoking All Fire Arms License.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.