Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy (14105 Views)

Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Nigerians Expect A Lot From You, Obasanjo Tells Buhari / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

I disagree on the point. Democracy has not worked in Nigeria, because many groups do not have a fair representation in government. Just look at the minorities that inhabit Nigeria. They should be given much more power or their voices will never be heard.

It wasn't because of the expansionist powers that existed during pre-colonial times.
It was because the major ethnic dominated even till today .''WAZOBIA'' should come to your mind by now because the political formation of nigeria centred around the major ethnic apart from benin.
The first people to make contact with the europeans were urhobo and itsekiri.where are the today in nigeria politics ? Maybe they lost their balance in history !
democracy was not introduce to us but  imposed through british hegemony.we had no choice but to use a system that was not fundamental in the cultural background of the individual group that made up Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:51pm On Jan 08, 2011
oyb:

yawn. . .another ndigbo is the master tribe thread  

Maybe if you actually took time to read the post, you would not make such an ignorant statement. And if you knew the OP, you would know he is a Pan-Africanist of the highest order.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

It was because the major ethnic dominated even till today .''WAZOBIA'' should come to your mind by now because the political formation of nigeria centred around the major ethnic apart from benin.
The first people to make contact with the europeans were urhobo and itsekiri.where are the today in nigeria politics ? Maybe they lost their balance in history !
democracy was not introduce to us but  imposed through british hegemony.we had no choice but to use a system that was not fundamental in the cultural background of the individual group that made up Nigeria.

I agree with you for most of your post. Another great illustration my brother. However, the British imposed a lot on the people of Nigeria. They didn't haven to impose a democracy on the Igbo, as they already noted that the Igbos had a democracy before their arrival.

But they did impose the dreaded warrant chiefs, in order to rule over us more efficiently.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
@Akhaeneten,

Africa must unite? why; against who; and how does African unity affect the price of fish at Abule Egba?

When was the last time Guinea Bissau threaten to invade Nigeria. A polite nod to our neighbours through those wasteful regional/continental (ecowas; au) quangos is enough.

We want development! Enough about zero-sum pursuit of continental unity.

And why go back to the cultural section. Dont you like a proper debate where people support & oppose your views as they see fit? Pls come back!
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 9:02pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Reading the end half of the title is not where it ends. You actually were supposed to at least glance through the contents to read what it has to say of the Ibo culture. undecided

So what point exactly were you trying to make with your link?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

@Akhaeneten,

Africa must unite? why; against who; and how does African unity affect the price of fish at Abule Egba?

When was the last time Guinea Bissau threaten to invade Nigeria. A polite nod to our neighbours through those wasteful regional quangos is enough.

We want development! Enough about zero-sum pursuit of continental unity.

And why go back to the cultural section. Dont you like a proper debate where people support & oppose your views as they see fit? Pls come back!

good one

@op

if u really want unity, [size=15pt]drop your culture and tradition and learn yoruba or hausa then we will gradually be uniting because the ethnic boundary is broken

i have learnt hausa as my culture and language

i have also started learning igbo and yoruba languge

so you also should do the same tongue
[/size]
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

good one

@op

if u really want unity,]drop your culture and tradition and learn yoruba or hausa then we will gradually be uniting because the ethnic boundary is broken

I like this guy!! grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 9:14pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

good one

@op

if u really want unity, [size=15pt]drop your culture and tradition and learn yoruba or hausa then we will gradually be uniting because the ethnic boundary is broken

[/size]

Good. Kanuri is almost an extinct language anyway.I hear they only use it to train dogs now. grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

Good. Kanuri is almost an extinct language anyway.I hear they alone use it to train dogs now. grin

just like they use igbo loanguage to train dogs

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-568941.0.html
wink
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 9:18pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

wink

So now they use 2 of ur languages to train dogs. grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason,

Harem's certainly a smooth talker,, prob one of those who say more than he can deliver.

A lovable rogue I suspect
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

So now they use 2 of your languages to train dogs. grin
grin grin grin grin grin

you are also ibo grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

Good. Kanuri is almost an extinct language anyway.I hear they alone use it to train dogs now. grin
alj harem:

wink

Ola edo:

So now they use 2 of your languages to train dogs. grin

LOL grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:22pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

jason,

Harem's certainly a smooth talker,, prob one of those who say more than he can deliver.

A lovable rogue I suspect

Are you a psychologist? You have been analysing people's character on nl wink
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:23pm On Jan 08, 2011
Stay on topic and stop ruining my thread por favor.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2011
harem, just as i thought you rarely respond to insults, you rubbished igbo language. Disapppointed!
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by kcjazz(m): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2011
Thank you for the illustration. In my village, when an Igwe dies in my village, the chieftancy is passed to another family and so forth and so forth. That allows each family the ability to speak on behalf of the village.

Sounds like local zoning, which I doubt is the best way for democracy. Well, are there good things to be learned? Yes! But again its not a perfect system since some villages still fight over Igwe stool. What I believe is whatever system we have must be measured by the success it brings to the community and how we can translate it to the normal local and state government.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Stay on topic and stop ruining my thread por favor.

i think igbos can learn from other nigerians instead of the other way around

but all in all, others too can learn from us igbos smiley
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:26pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

harem, just as i thought you rarely respond to insults, you rubbished igbo language. Disapppointed!

what do you mean, can you clarify that
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:26pm On Jan 08, 2011
kcjazz:

Sounds like local zoning, which I doubt is the best way for democracy. Well, are there good things to be learned? Yes! But again its not a perfect system since some villages still fight over Igwe stool. What I believe is whatever system we have must be measured by the success it brings to the community and how we can translate it to the normal local and state government.

Well said!!!
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:28pm On Jan 08, 2011
kcjazz:

Thank you for the illustration. In my village, when an Igwe dies in my village, the chieftancy is passed to another family and so forth and so forth. That allows each family the ability to speak on behalf of the village.

No system is perfect. That is why societies continue to evolve. Some societies are good at borrowing from others to improve their own societies. We Igbos used to be like that, in which in my region, we borrowed many cultural aspects from the Ibibio/Efik people.

It just seems in Nigeria today, different groups are so inward looking, that they cannot look to other groups for inspiration.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:30pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

i think igbos can learn from other nigerians instead of the other way around

but all in all, others too can learn from us igbos smiley

Stop disrespecting MY people. I have already told you about yourself in the Cultural section. Answer your father's name so that we may all know that you are an Igbo. If you cannot, just shut up, because you are ingorant of Igbo customs.

Igbos are a patrimonial society.

Learn before you speak. If you have never lived or embraced Igbo society, you can speak on behalf of Igbo issues. We Igbos do not take kindly to those who know nothing about our history or customs.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 9:31pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten, you're back!

Thought you wanted the easy life on the culture forum, away from the sharks on the politics section.

Now you,ve proved yourself an Igbo son - courageous & fearless. You couldnt be seen running away from lightweights (Oops!) like of Jason & Alh harem, could you?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Stop disrespecting MY people. I have already told you about yourself in the Cultural section. Answer your father's name so that we may all know that you are an Igbo. If you cannot, just shut up, because you are ingorant of Igbo customs.

What is wrong if he says he is igbo i sometimes call myself yoruba and no one complains undecided. I'll advise you to just be cool so that you can enjoy your experience on NL undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. enough said
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:33pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

Akhenaten, you're back!

Thought you wanted the easy life on the culture forum, away from the sharks on the politics section.

Now you,ve proved yourself an Igbo son - courageous & fearless. You couldnt be seen running away from lightweights (Oops!) like of Jason & Alh harem, could you?

I have a low tolerance for tribalistic postings. As a Pan-Africanist, it sickens me to the core. People like to look at the differences instead of the similarities.

I am an individual, I represent no group. Even though being Igbo is part of my identity, it doesn't mean I do not consider myself different from members of my own group.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:34pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Learn before you speak. If you have never lived or embraced Igbo society, you can speak on behalf of Igbo issues. We Igbos do not take kindly to those who know nothing about our history or customs.

abegi,,,, am i the only igbo that cannot speak igbo(which i am learning)

i have said i am half igbo and can speak for my people anyday anytime,,,so if u do not like it just kill yourself because it is not stoping soon undecided
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:34pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

Akhenaten, you're back!

Watch your mouth ooo! angry angry
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

What is wrong if he says he is igbo i sometimes call myself yoruba and no one complains undecided. I'll advise you to just be cool so that you can enjoy your experience on NL undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. enough said

I have read some of your posting. You are Itsekiri and they are very similar to the Yoruba clans. That is like the Ikwerre  amongst the Ndi Igbo. No Igbo man will complain if an Ikwerre calls himself Igbo. Actually, we would welcome that.

You are not ignorant of Yoruba culture.

However, I will not allow someone ignorant of my peoples customs to comment on that. And I will vehemently oppose that person with every fiber of my body. And that is my right to do so.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

I have a low tolerance for tribalistic postings. As a Pan-Africanist, it sickens me to the core. People like to look at the differences instead of the similarities.

I am an individual, I represent no group. Even though being Igbo is part of my identity, it doesn't mean I do not consider myself different from members of my own group.

and i say do this if u are really a pan-african
alj harem:

[/size]
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 9:37pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

abegi,,,, am i the only igbo that cannot speak igbo(which i am learning)

i have said i am half igbo and can speak for my people anyday anytime,,,so if u do not like it just kill yourself because it is not stoping soon undecided

There is no such thing as half Igbo in traditional Igbo culture. You are either Igbo or you are not. And the only way you can be considered Igbo is if your father is Igbo.

This is my culture and I will stand by that view.

Now stop making my topic personal and learn to listen.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 9:38pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

I have read some of your posting. You are Itsekiri and they are very similar to the Yoruba clans. That is like the Ikwerre  amongst the Ndi Igbo. No Igbo man will complain if an Ikwerre calls himself Igbo. Actually, we would welcome that.

However, I will not allow someone ignorant of my peoples customs to comment on that. And I will vehemently oppose that person with every fiber of my body. And that is my right to do so.

Okay, point taken. cool
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 9:38pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

and that is i am commeting on every igbo post so as to know my culture more,,,is there anything wrong with that undecided

if an ikwerre says he is not igbo u all will drown the man but here is me half igbo, not even denying my igboness, u are screaming undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Samuel Ortom Dances With IDPs / Over 1000 Boko Haram Captives Freed / 2019 Election: PDP To Complete Enugu/onitsha Road In Six Months: Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.