Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,276 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Please Help My English Is Very Bad - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (34551 Views)

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. / 21 Reasons Why English Is Difficult To Learn / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Gokoyer0(m): 11:12am On May 26, 2020
Don't let anyone rip you of any money in the name of tutorship. Most of the Nigeria English teachers are learning it themselves.
Start by speaking English always. You can even look for nursery and primary schools pupils around you that always speak the Language.

I can send you some very nice YouTube channels to watch in term of rules and etc guiding English language. There are thousands of them on YouTube but you just have to scrupulously find the best ones out there. If you don't have much data for YouTube videos, then drop that idea.

Another thing is to start watching movies with subtitles first. Don't go for all those that only utters 'Bleep you and gun themselves down at every opportunity. I will recommend drama, and go to BBC podcasts, there are tons of them to download in case you can't afford the time and luxury for movie all the time.

My brother, the path to learning is practice. Internet is just what you need and some people(or online via WhatsApp etc) to practise your speaking with in real life.
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?
I dnt have confidence speaking good English always Craming what to say?

Please help me.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Adedotguy: 11:13am On May 26, 2020
I use to be like you too
A professor will notice my grammar. grin
You must be intentional to your approach.

Listen to radio especially talk shows.
Watch tv talk shows
Read books and check for new words you dont know and write it down in your new words book grin check the meaning in dictionary.

Use the word in a sentence and write that sentence down

Any word you hear that you dont know write it down dont mind if you get the spelling right later you will know the spelling.

Then always go through that book everyday to remember it.

My 1 cent
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Futuragetty: 11:13am On May 26, 2020
You can improve your writing skills by reading lots of books. no doubt. You need to improve your vocabulary too.
get Rogets thesaurus,
I read articles on Grammarly.com everyday, It does help.
Nytimes too.

I feel your major problem is speaking confidently.
how do you improve your speaking skills?
just like frequent writing helps improve writing skills, speaking will improve your communications skills
get a mirror. practice. practice!
listen to podcasts
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by ayterajah(m): 11:13am On May 26, 2020
omoadeleye:
So do you expect us to break your skull and mutter all the English words inside a water then pour it inside your skull then sealed it up again?...

Well, you need to start drilling yourself by reading articles, novels and always have confidence in yourself while speaking or writing, cause there are lots of gbagaun detectors who are always on ground to underscore any of your flubs... Don't get angry at them, just make sure you take to correction and as time goes on , you will surely see some great improvement in your life.
you're a mean somebody.... must you abuse before helping your fellow human being
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Gaggii: 11:13am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Watch English subtitled epic movie.... Have the dictionary by your side.

I never knew I was improving until my boss told me he loves my choice of word when composing mail. Though have deteriorated since I got married because my wife loves African magic...and the little control I have over the t.v I use it to play p.s...

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:13am On May 26, 2020
Stay on Nairaland for 4 years and you are good to go. If you like go and be reading trends from Romance section.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by StrikeBack(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2020
ramark04:

what is your business with his age, if you have any opinion just say it.
His response to my opinion will further enlighten him more.

Who engrish epp??
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by OvaSabi1(f): 11:15am On May 26, 2020
I'll start by saying that you are more intelligent than you think. You are bilingual. You can read and understand more than 1 language. There's a probability that you already speak 2 or 3 other naija languages and this is a sign of intelligence. However, your IQ in one language may be lower than the others, and when this language is the official language of your country it can be limiting in terms of the opportunities that come your way. So, yes, your concerns are valid.

How do you become good at anything? By watching, observing, digesting the information accordingly and practicing. Same with football, Mathematics, cooking or perfecting your English Language proficiency.

Watching: listen to news and note down new words phrases and search for their meanings. If you own a smart phone, play the phonetic sound of the word. You will find a speaker icon before each Google definition, this is what it is used for.
Observing: is there someone whose spoken English you admire? Watch their lips and jawline when they talk. By the time you do this for a while, you will understand why this is important.
Digesting the information by reading. Widely. Find an area you're interested in like sports. Read the sports page of newspapers. Watch and listen to sports broadcasters and observe their use of things like grammar, semantics and figures of speech. You'll know your proficiency in a language is high when you start to understand and apply things like sarcasm, metaphors and satire effortlessly.

Practice: Speak and write the things you have learned. This is imperative and be ready to make a lot of mistakes. But believe that you have the God given ability to learn anything and be perfect, so far you're ready to put in the work.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:17am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

I can taught you English. I spoke it fluently in an unrelated ways. grin

My guy your best bet is to be among English speakers. A place where you will speak less your mother tongue. I saw many saying read books. You learn to speak a language fluently by speaking it everyday not by reading it everyday.

Reading books doesn't make a language fluent it only gives you insight to using your tenses right which of course is part of the learning process.
But, if speaking it fluently is what you want? Be around English speakers. Its that simple.

Do you know there are lots of people who speak English fluently and can't write it down. You won't know until they need to pen something down.

Why do they speak and cant write? Probably they were born around English speakers.

Do you know that in the 70s and 80s an Igbo child would speak English fluently first before a Yoruba boy. Why?
Because they learn how to speak pidgin right from childhood. And as they grow older, they only need to restructure their tenses and grammar to conform with proper English.
But thanks to civilization, everyone speaks English to their kids from birth now so, it makes English speaking easy for the kids of nowadays. Although many of them perform poorly in written English.

In short, find English speaking friends and speak it with them and don't mind the shame of making mistakes. Its only for a while and you will get over it.

Remain Blessed

3 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by mulerogold(m): 11:18am On May 26, 2020
Is this a news??
Nairaland sef don cast with irrelevant posts.

Anyway, go back to school and learn english.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by alexola20(m): 11:18am On May 26, 2020
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Keketu(m): 11:18am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
hi please English is not a language of our fore father please once you recognise this you will be naturally good in it , this is one of my secret , was bad it too but today, atleast i really improve undecided
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Mavor: 11:19am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
Read lots of books and if you have access to steady internet access, read up lots of news articles on Google News. Also understand how and when to use paragraphs, commas and punctuation. Be confident and good luck in your quest for more knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by OmarEl(m): 11:19am On May 26, 2020
kikero:

1.Read any good English novel, newspaper or textbook for at least 2 hours a day. Any word you don't understand, check the dictonary (Always have a dictonary near you please!)

2.Speak English every day for at least 2 hours a day. Helps you practice the language, and when someone points out your mistakes, accept it in good grace.

3.Always be on the lookout for new words. (one foriegn journalist who worked in Afghanistan and Pakistan had a Afghan interpreter, who always carried a notebook where he wrote new english words he heard).

4.Listen to the BBC World Service on radio, or watch on television. You can learn correct pronounciation from your average BBC reporter and presenter.

(Sauce: general experience)

Point!
You will live long
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:19am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017,

Read well written books and novels, magazines, newspaper articles. Always go for the classics, the best!

If you don't enjoy reading books or not comfortable reading them, watch very good dialogue movies, documentaries, series, TV programs. Again always go for the classic the best.

For sounds, while listening on the radio, always listen to the best presenters, broadcasters, newscaster, TV veterans like suleiman Alaide (can't remember the correct spelling) and Maupe Ogun at their peak.

Then online, while you are on forums reading comments like you are doing now on nairaland, please I recommend you go for foreign forums and platform such as quora, CNN facebook page, YouTube video reviews/comments, .....

Avoid naija ones, shebi u said u wanna improve your English, so you deserve the best platform to learn quickly. Only come on nairaland for meaningful, thought provoking discourse/topics, follow cerebral peeps here as well.

Last but not the least from now on don't for any reason speak pigin, only speak English

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by OsuMustGo: 11:19am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
English na your mother tongue?
Rubbish
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by TruthHurts100: 11:22am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Let me help you.

Stop watching Africa Magic. Especially Africa Magic Yoruba.

Read good magazines and Novels

Build your fo-ka-bu-lary

Write down 5 new words everyday, write the meaning in front and a sentence on how the word is used.

Every Sunday go over the 30 new words you've learned. Carry the book with you everywhere you go.

Make friends with those who speak good English and don't be shy to tell them you're learning to speak well. They will always be ready to help you and when you tabon... They won't laugh at you, they will lovingly correct you.

And try get yourself a diary. At the end of each day, write down a summary of how your day went. Try using the five words you've learned that day in your summary of the day.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Investmentfreak: 11:24am On May 26, 2020
Visit arewa twitter dear , no be by English this time o
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by aragon4realz(m): 11:24am On May 26, 2020
Best way to learn... Watch Good Hollywood movies
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by grandstar(m): 11:25am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

To be able to converse well in good English, immerse yourself with people who speak good English.

I know a boy who is from a very poor background. His dad is jobless ujserious fellow and his mum is deceased. Food is precious commodity. He can't even read.

Yet, the boy, around 15years, speaks good English. Why? Because someone who he looks up to speaks good English and he is always around that person when he is in town. His own younger brother's English is a disaster.

That is why they encourage when learning a new language, live with the speakers of that language. For your xase, to improve the quality of your english, you simply need to mingle with those who speak it fluently.

Look at 9ice. His English was terrible but improved greatly due to his mixing with big people 8n the society who converse with you in good English.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by eldoradoxx: 11:25am On May 26, 2020
Is your English as bad as that of Odumejeje that is internet sensation? That your bad English could be God's gift to you. Abeg rest joor.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by operotimi: 11:25am On May 26, 2020
Read anything you come across.

Erase the mindset of, this book is to bulky.

Always be on the lookout to learn New words anytime you read a book or an article...

watch more of British-American movies...

listen to more of American Music

Watch news and Tv programms to boost your vocal morale....

Note: my num never went to School, but she understand Simple Communication in English.
She can also communicate with you fluently in English. ............
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by LordSavioo(m): 11:26am On May 26, 2020
Morray:
Well, to be perfectly honest in my humble opinion without being sentimental, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in distinct perspective and without condemning anyone's view and by trying to make it objectified and by considering each and everyone's valid opinion. I honestly believe that I vividly don't have anything to say. Thank you
Oga English
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Yobabad: 11:27am On May 26, 2020
Stop reading Yoruba Muslims threads and comments on Nairaland, it will worsen your problem, thank me later
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Arrahman39: 11:30am On May 26, 2020
always comment on social medial ...
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Iluvmycontr3: 11:30am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Quit every form of pleasure and study English, especially (spoken English) as if your life depends on it. Perfection comes from only proper practice..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Myer(m): 11:31am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Come, let me help you magically make it disappear. Lol

Young man the solution is to learn english na.

Get a good teacher or study online.

Also watching good movies can help you flow better.

And definitely practise what you learn.

Note: It's not about using big vocabularies but speaking good english.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Auto2050: 11:35am On May 26, 2020
The set of people you move with and the type of work you do also determines.

Move with sets of people who speaks good English and if you work in a well established organization, then not just your english speaking language but your whole way of living will change drastically.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Enestbodi4432: 11:36am On May 26, 2020
see below
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Goldencheese(m): 11:36am On May 26, 2020
All other pieces of advice are good but yours represent more of what I am thinking to assist the OP.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

TreasureTayo:
1. Avoid cramming what to say. It won't help you.

2. Always avoid speaking with people who don't understand and speak good English so it won't affect yours more.

3. Read a lot of books and listen to news in English language. Grab copies of different newspapers and read at your leisure time.

4. Try to speak more of English language than your native language

5. British and American songs will help you a lot.

6. Do not be shy to say what you feel inside of you, if you make mistakes, correct yourself and use the dictionary to know the right spellings.

7.American Movies even Disney Channels and Cartoons or some Action movies will also improve your diction

8. If you do not mind, Why not start from the scratch and get yourself Queen Primer or brighter Grammar? You will be marveled. Don't worry about what people will think of you. Remember, you want to learn right?

9. Encourage your friends to speak English with you and if you have a Girlfriend, That's perfect, she'd help you more.
10. Do not forget to do these things I have mentioned above everyday.

God bless you for being sincere and seeking for help.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Vice-Principal Calls Out Student Who ‘Disrespected’ Him On Messenger (Photo) / Daycare Centres, Primary Schools Remain Closed – Sani Aliyu, PTF Coordinator / Unic Vilos Montessori School Teacher Arrested For Abusing A Toddler In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.