Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Please Help My English Is Very Bad - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (34517 Views)

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. / 21 Reasons Why English Is Difficult To Learn / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Fragility6: 10:58am On May 26, 2020
StrikeBack:
How old are you?
English require age again.If u no get tips 2 guide am u lockup.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Lexusgs430: 10:58am On May 26, 2020
Go bought exercise book also boughted data, downloaded Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, many other apps are exist.....

Dial unto YouTubers, then typing teaches me Engrish grammar..... Viola
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 10:58am On May 26, 2020
Just change or make friends who speaks english and not from your tribe as it will make your communications with them to be strictly on english, avoid PIGIN . Read alot of educative ideas on nairaland nd any other interactive sites. .you'll be fine within months. Majority corrections stands on the close friends around you that you spoke to every minute of the day.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Takeit2017(m): 10:59am On May 26, 2020
KingZaddy:
do you move with friends who speak english fluently?

bro
thank God u here
please help me

I'm ashamed of my self
my mother is a teacher

I'm the only one in my family that doesnot know how to speak good englihs

most of my friends speak broken English when we are together (except the ladies)
then when i am at work
is English
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by ramark04: 10:59am On May 26, 2020
StrikeBack:
How old are you?
what is your business with his age, if you have any opinion just say it.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by ITbomb(m): 11:02am On May 26, 2020
Why not be talking more to the man in the mirror
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by simultaneousboi(m): 11:03am On May 26, 2020
I think "Use of English" text will help you a lot. Again, don't be lazy in reading, read novels, stories and other text, it will help you a lot. I'm also in your shoes, I started learning how to speak correct in English in higher institution(cos I studied both my primary and secondary school in my village where we hardly speak English except my language) , sometimes I do misuse these three words in a sentence "could, would, and should", I have searched online for the proper way of using them, but all I saw was not really clear to me, same with the different between "learned and learnt".

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by StrikeBack(m): 11:03am On May 26, 2020
Fragility6:

English require age again.If u no get tips 2 guide am u lockup.
Even your presidiot is camera shy so who be you, who you be..

Don’t mind me. Please help me I can’t speak mandarin well undecided
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by mu2sa2: 11:03am On May 26, 2020
kikero:

1.Read any good English novel, newspaper or textbook for at least 2 hours a day. Any word you don't understand, check the dictonary (Always have a dictonary near you please!)

2.Speak English every day for at least 2 hours a day. Helps you practice the language, and when someone points out your mistakes, accept it in good grace.

3.Always be on the lookout for new words. (one foriegn journalist who worked in Afghanistan and Pakistan had a Afghan interpreter, who always carried a notebook where he wrote new english words he heard).

4.Listen to the BBC World Service on radio, or watch on television. You can learn correct pronounciation from your average BBC reporter and presenter.

(Sauce: general experience)

"(Always have a dictonary near you please!)". On this, your mobile phone comes handy, you don't need a physical dictionary these days. You can download a dictionary for offline use - or, just type the word in your browser and search e.g define "khakistocracy".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by uche393: 11:03am On May 26, 2020
change your environment
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Caramelskin(f): 11:03am On May 26, 2020
tendyjohn:

Buy "Brighter Grammar Book 1-4". Make sure you do all the exercises and you will be good in few months.
Op, you can try this. If you can’t buy it, just download the pdf online. You can also create a YouTube channel and create videos of you speaking just to build your confidence and improve your speaking skills.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by cray91(m): 11:03am On May 26, 2020
Don't feel bad! it's never too late. you might still be the next Wole soyinka. You'd be surprise what would become of your English Soon enough. i promise you that

Hustle Bro and make money. let your account and pocket speak for you
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?
I dnt have confidence speaking good English always Craming what to say?

Please help me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:05am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
Read oyibo novels
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:05am On May 26, 2020
mu2sa2:
"(Always have a dictonary near you please!)". On this, your mobile phone comes handy, you don't need a physical dictionary. . You can download a dictionary for offline use - or, just type the word in browser and search e.g define "khakistocracy".

Very true....the internet has made a lot of things much easier.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by scopusng(m): 11:05am On May 26, 2020
Painful though but who English help na. Hustle and make money is the Nigeria for today.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Fragility6: 11:05am On May 26, 2020
StrikeBack:
Even your presidiot is camera shy so who be you, who you be..

Don’t mind me. Please help me I can’t speak mandarin well undecided
U don high.Shift
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by fairheart(m): 11:05am On May 26, 2020
OP Takeit2017, don't bother depressing yourself about it. Take what USarmyID said here to heart and follow through. It is the best way to learn. If you take it serious enough, I am adding to the promise: you will be a good English language speaker in 3 months. But then remember, English is another man's language. I hope you can speak and write your own native language fluently. This is important too. Best of luck.
USarmyID:
Read books. Read every and any well written piece you come across.
Have a little dictionary beside you to look up words you don't understand. Promise you, you'd be more confident in less than 3 months.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Reference(m): 11:05am On May 26, 2020
Stop watching Nollywood, Bollywood and parts of Hollywood. Watch British telly for a year and you're done.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by DarkJeddi(m): 11:06am On May 26, 2020
Like someone said,read books..

Anything you can get your hands on,read it..

That is the secret to being proficient in English..
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
keep practicing. do not give up
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:07am On May 26, 2020
eleko1:
Must u speak English by FORCE? Not all Americans speak good English

Well, it can be very useful in getting a good job by the way, you know.

Plus most of those Americans you hear speaking 'bad english'. Allowing for the fact that standard American english is different from the British standard...many of those Americans you hear speaking in slang...when it counts (eg job interviews, etc,) they will speak in proper and good english.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Justice505: 11:08am On May 26, 2020
Op, you're not the Only one for two years now have been battling on how to improve my grammer it has not been easy but am seeing progress.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by West2019(m): 11:08am On May 26, 2020
eat amala for good 90 days u will speak good English
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by oodua1stson: 11:09am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
do you have money?
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by jericco1(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2020
Ladylite:
I can teach you

I want to learn too smiley
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by israelmao(m): 11:09am On May 26, 2020
Would you come up on this platform or other social media on every issue?Please take responsibility for your life,Google search is there for you and different apps.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Emusan(m): 11:10am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

I was once in your shoes....and it was when I joined Nairaland then that people point my attention to it which I didn't pick offense with but used that as an advantage to improve myself.

This is what I did back then, I went back to simple tenses to understand how verbs are used in a sentence.

1. I'll advice you not to read any book which has nothing to do with basic English.

2. Get books on Simple Tenses or browse about that topic on internet.

With this, you'll know how verbs are used in a sentence which in turn help you to construct correct sentences.

3. Then, you can add Pronouns, Adjective, common mistakes in English to it.

I even created this thread to help people who are in my shoes then, you can go through it!

https://www.nairaland.com/3353009/more-than-just-simple-mistakes

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by foleskay(m): 11:10am On May 26, 2020
Its not a must you fluent. Just understand the basic words and correct usage. Don't rush while speaking. Log in to BBC news everyday to see how they simply construct their English. Infact BBC is the best place to learn the correct use of words. And they always put it in a very simple and understandable manner. Read more books aswell, and practice speech everyday. You'll be fine
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:11am On May 26, 2020
You have to understand the English language first before you can think of being able to communicate in it fluently. Do you understand English language ? I guess no.

Now ,I will recommend a book - "A one in English Language" by Dr Ashade. Trust me,that book will teach you what English language is all about and very simply too.

To boost your ability to speak confidently and effectively in public, I will recommend another book - " Effective Public speaking " by Dale Carnegie.

Please get those two books ,read them religiously and you will be just fine my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Takeit2017(m): 11:12am On May 26, 2020
SamSara01:
It's difficult to comment or help you if we don't know your age or the level of education you currently are

ssce

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Policemen Rape 3 Students, Abia Poly Students Protest (Photos, Video) / 15 Pictures That Will Make Sense To Every Nigerian Graduating This Year / Vice-Principal Calls Out Student Who ‘Disrespected’ Him On Messenger (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.