Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Please Help My English Is Very Bad - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (34553 Views)

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. / 21 Reasons Why English Is Difficult To Learn / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Straightpath: 11:37am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?
I dnt have confidence speaking good English always Craming what to say?

Please help me.
I also need help.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by apexx3838: 11:37am On May 26, 2020
[color=#] 272312[/color]
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by odurombi: 11:37am On May 26, 2020
Good pieces of advice that have been suggested. Ensure you read good books, especially drumbeat and pacesetters series. They aren't beyond you, as some may assume.

And secondly, it is important you keep speaking that bad English. If you are ashamed of making mistakes, you won't be good at the language.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by sylve11: 11:38am On May 26, 2020
Hmmm cool
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Goldencheese(m): 11:38am On May 26, 2020
Great advice.
Thanks
OvaSabi1:
I'll start by saying that you are more intelligent than you think. You are bilingual. You can read and understand more than 1 language. There's a probability that you already speak 2 or 3 other naija languages and this is a sign of intelligence. However, your IQ in one language may be lower than the others, and when this language is the official language of your country it can be limiting in terms of the opportunities that come your way. So, yes, your concerns are valid.

How do you become good at anything? By watching, observing, digesting the information accordingly and practicing. Same with football, Mathematics, cooking or perfecting your English Language proficiency.

Watching: listen to news and note down new words phrases and search for their meanings. If you own a smart phone, play the phonetic sound of the word. You will find a speaker icon before each Google definition, this is what it is used for.
Observing: is there someone whose spoken English you admire? Watch their lips and jawline when they talk. By the time you do this for a while, you will understand why this is important.
Digesting the information by reading. Widely. Find an area you're interested in like sports. Read the sports page of newspapers. Watch and listen to sports broadcasters and observe their use of things like grammar, semantics and figures of speech. You'll know your proficiency in a language is high when you start to understand and apply things like sarcasm, metaphors and satire effortlessly.

Practice: Speak and write the things you have learned. This is imperative and be ready to make a lot of mistakes. But believe that you have the God given ability to learn anything and be perfect, so far you're ready to put in the work.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Chimeluv(f): 11:40am On May 26, 2020
Read books, pratice writing and watch foreign movies. smiley
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Ibromixdem: 11:43am On May 26, 2020
Much had been said, which could be help abide by them
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 11:43am On May 26, 2020
OP I'll only advise you on these few point and pay attention.

1.Mingle with people who speaks good English.
2.Speak English at least few hours a day.
3.Read English articles.
4. Google these things, nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, reflexive verbs, verbs with prepositions. How to construct sentence, relative pronounce, main clause and subordinate clause. Q marks. Etc. It's too much to learn ,especially if you're starting from scratch.

You may need a tutor.

Many advising you here don't even know the English grammar.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by zagorakis(m): 11:47am On May 26, 2020
The best way to learn English is through association with people who speak good english,
U can make friends with people who are not from your tribe and who speak correctly and when they speak, you make effort to memorize their sentences, practice them and use it when situation arises.
Nb. You have to make frantic efforts to achieve that.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by faithfull18(f): 11:51am On May 26, 2020
Lol, enough advice given already.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by vokalafrica: 11:53am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Follow @rightenglishpro_ng on Instagram
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by olamy7(m): 11:53am On May 26, 2020
listen to speakers,you can get a lot of Christian messages on your phone if you are a Christian,it will really help your English. get English made easy PDF online. try practising by speaking to yourself everytime
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by mikibash: 11:54am On May 26, 2020
No trick just think before you speak. Take your time to construct the word in your mind then speak it. Thank me later
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by KingZaddy(m): 11:54am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:

bro
thank God u here
please help me

I'm ashamed of my self
my mother is a teacher

I'm the only one in my family that doesnot know how to speak good englihs

most of my friends speak broken English when we are together (except the ladies)
then when i am at work
is English
what you need around you is people who are really good at english, the more you move and communicate with them the better your english will be
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by frozen70(f): 11:55am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.

Every thing is alright with you

Just don't be in a hurry to talk or make a speech or statement

Don't involve yourself into any argument in a hurry

Learn a new word every day and learn the simple ones

Keep your dictionary app among your most regular used app

You don't need to lower your standard yourself and don't compete knowledge with the brilliant ones
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by OKTolu: 11:56am On May 26, 2020
The fact that you recognized your problem your problem is half solve, now it's time to take action towards improving yourself
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by sisisioge: 11:56am On May 26, 2020
Oga, yours isn't bad....atleast you could fuse words together without causing others heartburn like one guy on here.

Get brighter grammar book 1-4.

Also practice speaking a lot.

Good luck.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by femi4: 11:57am On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
Start reading articles and watch movies in English and sub in English.

You learn to speak a language by speaking more in that language. Have conversation more
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by rafcrown(m): 11:58am On May 26, 2020
When will they start speaking Nigerian Languages too?
Colonial Mentality. Mother tongue is the best .
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 11:59am On May 26, 2020
Get in touch with me
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Blackmiserable(m): 12:00pm On May 26, 2020
Morray:
Well, to be perfectly honest in my humble opinion without being sentimental, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in distinct perspective and without condemning anyone's view and by trying to make it objectified and by considering each and everyone's valid opinion. I honestly believe that I vividly don't have anything to say. Thank you

Lmao!!! Nairaland no go kill person.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by olancho: 12:01pm On May 26, 2020
Watch children cartoon and don't be afraid to speak if you make mistakes you will be corrected and don't pick offense when you are corrected.
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Lamanii22(f): 12:04pm On May 26, 2020
JhayJoe:
Read books

Listen to this british radio drama (i've forgotten the name)

Speak freely

Never be afraid of mistakes

listen to BBC English too OP... No one speaks English perfectly.... We can only get better...
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by paul100(m): 12:05pm On May 26, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

I can taught you English. I spoke it fluently in an unrelated ways. grin

My guy your best bet is to be among English speakers. A place where you will speak less your mother tongue. I saw many saying read books. You learn to speak a language fluently by speaking it everyday not by reading it everyday.

Reading books doesn't make a language fluent it only gives you insight to using your tenses right which of course is part of the learning process.
But, if speaking it fluently is what you want? Be around English speakers. Its that simple.

Do you know there are lots of people who speak English fluently and can't write it down. You won't know until they need to pen something down.

Why do they speak and cant write? Probably they were born around English speakers.

Do you know that in the 70s and 80s an Igbo child would speak English fluently first before a Yoruba boy. Why?
Because they learn how to speak pidgin right from childhood. And as they grow older, they only need to restructure their tenses and grammar to conform with proper English.
But thanks to civilization, everyone speaks English to their kids from birth now so, it makes English speaking easy for the kids of nowadays. Although many of them perform poorly in written English.

In short, find English speaking friends and speak it with them and don't mind the shame of making mistakes. Its only for a while and you will get over it.

Remain Blessed
Very true.If the op is among those that speak good english,he will change fast though it depend on his intelligence ability(ability to learn very fast).My neighbour brought a young boy of 4 yes with his mother.
This boy does not know English one bit.I asked him what is his name,how old he is,questions like that but the boy was just looking at me.I only speaks igbo,his mother will say something in igbo and he will reply in igbo.I went back to sch but to my greatest surprise when i came back 4months later,i notice that this small boy have became very good in English like i now talk to him the way i talk to my youngest sister and i answer me fluently.I am still surprised how he was able to learn English that fast and he still understand igbo language very well.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by alizma: 12:05pm On May 26, 2020
USarmyID:
Read books. Read every and any well written piece you come across.
Have a little dictionary beside you to look up words you don't understand. Promise you, you'd be more confident in less than 3 months.
Lol, you are not providing practical solution, this is theoretical. Tell him to find a friend or two who understand his problem and always engage in conversion with them while they take the responsibility of teaching and correcting his errors immediately.
There are a lot of people who can speak fluently but find it difficult to read and write. I am 80% sure that OP is an introvert so if he likes let him read all the books, he will still find it difficult being fluent. If he can "cram" that means he knows what to say but the problem is in bringing it out
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 26, 2020
This has got to be the cleanest thread ever on nairaland

With sane people all over
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by alizma: 12:07pm On May 26, 2020
KingZaddy:
do you move with friends who speak english fluently?

friends who speak english fluently are your best bet

if you move with people who speak english well enough, your brain will accept their language and begin to master it
God bless you and grant you more wisdom. This is a practical solution

1 Like

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by Kbs468(m): 12:08pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
But there is nothing wrong with what you posted here.

Anyway, Make money and you are in command of the world and your English will flourish

Ask me how below
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by alizma: 12:10pm On May 26, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

I can taught you English. I spoke it fluently in an unrelated ways. grin

My guy your best bet is to be among English speakers. A place where you will speak less your mother tongue. I saw many saying read books. You learn to speak a language fluently by speaking it everyday not by reading it everyday.

Reading books doesn't make a language fluent it only gives you insight to using your tenses right which of course is part of the learning process.
But, if speaking it fluently is what you want? Be around English speakers. Its that simple.

Do you know there are lots of people who speak English fluently and can't write it down. You won't know until they need to pen something down.

Why do they speak and cant write? Probably they were born around English speakers.

Do you know that in the 70s and 80s an Igbo child would speak English fluently first before a Yoruba boy. Why?
Because they learn how to speak pidgin right from childhood. And as they grow older, they only need to restructure their tenses and grammar to conform with proper English.
But thanks to civilization, everyone speaks English to their kids from birth now so, it makes English speaking easy for the kids of nowadays. Although many of them perform poorly in written English.

In short, find English speaking friends and speak it with them and don't mind the shame of making mistakes. Its only for a while and you will get over it.

Remain Blessed
God bless you, I was surprised when I read someone telling him to read books. Pls which book did we read to speak our mother tongues? Someone is talking about not being able to speak and they busy telling him to read book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by prepresh(f): 12:11pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017:
God why? Why me?

Please help me.
Are you in PH and ready to learn? Contact me
Re: Please Help My English Is Very Bad by malcom1X: 12:12pm On May 26, 2020
Takeit2017

I learnt English by listening to the BBC, we have BBC on fm in my state.

We didn't have television, so BBC was always on and very clear. Even if I wanted to change channels my mum wouldn't accept.

Guy my accent is British accent, people always ask me why do I talk like that, I don't know how to explain.

So my advise is listen to radio, podcasts shows etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Vice-Principal Calls Out Student Who ‘Disrespected’ Him On Messenger (Photo) / Daycare Centres, Primary Schools Remain Closed – Sani Aliyu, PTF Coordinator / Unic Vilos Montessori School Teacher Arrested For Abusing A Toddler In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.