Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,495 members, 7,847,036 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:52 AM

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (24996 Views)

Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Jim Agbaje Tells CNN Why He Wants To Govern Africa's Most Populous City, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:18am On May 29, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Ifa isn’t a religion when almost every webpage regards it as a religion? Notice how you never countered any of my facts with valid data, other than emotional outbursts as expected.

Well, my point has been made for posterity’s sake.

You have done well.

Relax they have no facts presentable to counter you but emotional outburst only.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by 24SEVEN: 7:19am On May 29, 2020
Michael004:
Save your rant.

You shout Equatorial Guinea. Which has only 1.3milling in population. And you people are only 33,500 as it 2015.

To the bolded above, you are just ignorant fellow. You use maybe, which means you don't even know, despite internet

Well I can tell you that as at 2014, Yorubas in Togo are 304,000
In Ghana 469,000 as at 2017.
In Benin, yorubas are more than 1.7million

While in Ivory Coast, as at 2014, Yorubas are like 120,000.

Compare that your population in any other African countries. Don't let us go outside Africa yet.

So Yorubas must be very large since they are scattered everywhere. Maybe they are as large as the Mandarin Chinese found only in China.

If you've told me a percentage of the Indian or Chinese population were Yoruba, I would have been satisfied with Yorubas being the largest ethnic group, but I don't care about Togo or Benin, cos they are way too small to think about.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 7:20am On May 29, 2020
AhoadaRivers:

You and I both know you are deceiving yourself.

There is a saying in Nigeria that 'anywhere there is no Ibo man, run away from there.'

I'm sure you have heard it severally but still fool yourself with your utopian.. grin
You mean saying among yourselves to make yourself happy kikikikiki.

There is a saying that, na person wey get body they praise himself.

Your igbo land must be far more developed than that place that the only African there is Yoruba man o grin.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by sayso: 7:22am On May 29, 2020
See as una dey put number down, who count am? Census una never do, biometric no, ordinary id card na story.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by AhoadaRivers: 7:23am On May 29, 2020
Michael004:
You mean saying among yourselves to make yourself happy kikikikiki.

There is a saying that, na person wey get body they praise himself.

Your igbo land must be far more developed than that place that the only African there is Yoruba man o grin.

You dey deceive yourself. We both know that the Igbo population is more than the yoruba. Take it from me as a proud Igbo man from the SS.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:25am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

So in all, 2.3 million Yorubas indegenous outside Nigeria is the reason why Yoruba should be the largest ethnic group in Nigeria or what?

You still didn't get my point did you. I am telling you that an ethnic group being only native to Nigeria doesn't prevent the ethnic group from being largely populated.

Hausa can be spread round the whole countries in West Africa or even round the whole Africa it doesn't make it larger than Mandarin spoken in only China.

So having a larger spread doesn't automatically make it the most populated.
Bro, what the hell are you Yammring about?

First of all, Mandarin is not a tribe but the official language of China and only native Han Chinese.

Secondly, the Land mass of China is as big as West Africa if not bigger.

Thirdly, even as far back as 1952 in a very questionable census, the total numbers of igbos over Yorubas in Nigeria was very marginal. However, this doesn't factor in the 1966 war where a good number of igbos lost their lives.

In 2006 census, Yorubas were more the igbos even in Nigeria

Ps: Stop comparing a Language spoken as an official language in China to the igbos

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:25am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

I find it difficult to wrap my head around comments like 'only found in Nigeria'. Nigeria for goodness sake is by far the most populated country on the continent.

Imagine saying an ethnic group isn't large because they are only found in India. or maybe only found in China.

Rivers State is approximately 7million people and is more populated than Togo which has 6.1million people.

[b]What %tage of Togolese is Yoruba. i.e what fraction of 6.1million Togolese is Yoruba. maybe 20000 people is the reason we won't hear word.[/v]

Exactly@bolded.

Without facts available they will try to magnify it..but Togolese population is low to the number they want to claim
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:25am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

also the entire Southwest region is as big as one North East state (Niger state).

Anyone who believes Ijaws are more than 4million should have their head examined.

You replied the clown well...

Also Ijaws inflating their figure....that nonsense started during Jonathan era..
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 7:26am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

So Yorubas must be very large since they are scattered everywhere. Maybe they are as large as the Mandarin Chinese found only in China.
Tell us about yours. Sebi you people always make yourself happy by saying anywhere una no dey make person run from there. A statement among you to boast your overbloated ego. Claiming to be the most travelled.

Now tell me why there are no igbo man in the coldest part of Russia.There is only single African there is a Yoruba man.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 7:28am On May 29, 2020
AhoadaRivers:

You dey deceive yourself. We both know that the Igbo population is more than the yoruba. Take it from me as a proud Igbo man from the SS.
We know, who are the we that know. Fact keeps knocking your head.
Sebi you claimed most traveled, So why are you people not in that part of Russia grin.

I love people that always burst una burble

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:29am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

I don't understand why people find it difficult to understand simple logic. Population isn't always a function of land area.

Saying SEast is only as large as Oyo is same as saying Niger state is also as large as SWest. making such statement with regards to population figures is an aberration cos in all, the landmass is not the issue on hand because if it were, Niger state will have almost same Population as SWest.

Oyo singularly does not have Igbolands population so why the comparison?
Well it's worth nothing that not a single state in the South East has the population of Oyo state based on the 2006 population census.

In fact, Oyo state is the fifth most populated state in Nigeria and second most populated state in Southern Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:29am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

So in all, 2.3 million Yorubas indegenous outside Nigeria is the reason why Yoruba should be the largest ethnic group in Nigeria or what?

You still didn't get my point did you. I am telling you that an ethnic group being only native to Nigeria doesn't prevent the ethnic group from being largely populated.

Hausa can be spread round the whole countries in West Africa or even round the whole Africa it doesn't make it larger than Mandarin spoken in only China.

So having a larger spread doesn't automatically make it the most populated.

And so I hold.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by 24SEVEN: 7:33am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bro, what the hell are you Yammring about?

First of all, Mandarin is not a tribe but the official language of China and only native Han Chinese.

Secondly, the Land mass of China is as big West Africa if not bigger.

Thirdly, even as far back as 1952 in a very questionable census, the total numbers of igbos over Yorubas in Nigeria was very marginal. However, this doesn't factor in the 1966 war where a good number of igbos lost their lives.

In 2006 census, Yorubas were more the igbos even in Nigeria

Ps: Stop comparing a Language spoken as official language in China to the igbos

I'm on my way to Work. Later.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:35am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

I'm on my way to Work. Later.
Ogebni, if you like be on your way to the toilet cheesy

You mentioned me first and I lectured you.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:38am On May 29, 2020
I just noticed that the only link Yorubas has used in all these to counter facts..are just Wikipedia... Wikipedia..

What a petty argument....No solid facts just argument, screenshot and Wikipedia..this is sophiscation taken to another angle.

Lagos-Ibadan express news and logistics is dead and buried. Where someone is presenting facts that can't be seen let alone proven in real life.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:47am On May 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:
The list is logical and okay...

All are in order except Ijaws. Ijaws are not more than 3.65 million.
shey nah you count them??

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:50am On May 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:
I just noticed that the only link Yorubas has used in all these to counter facts..are just Wikipedia... Wikipedia..

What a petty argument....No solid facts just argument, screenshot and Wikipedia..this is sophiscation taken to another angle.

Lagos-Ibadan express news and logistics is dead and buried. Where someone is presenting facts that can't be seen let alone proven in real life.
You are silly

What facts?

And what was your igbo brothers using outside Wikipedia and questionable screen shots?

What is your evidence that you people are existing in Equatorial Guinea outside Wikipedia page?

I provided newspaper articles which are allowed as reference in scholarly reviewed Articles published in Journals.

If you suffer from partial blindness due to Emotional attachments to your tribe, you should ask your relatives that are objective enough to help find those reference still available on this thread.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:52am On May 29, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

Ijaws are not more than 3.65 million. The inflation of their figure started during Gej period.

Ijaws are not more than TIvs and Kanuris....both tribes are larger then Ijaw...

But if the number is for them to get independence, then they are free to go...on such basis..#fully supported.

Aside that the population is not up to 4m...It is over listed.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:52am On May 29, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

He believes that his silly word alone is evidence and questions others when they provide evidence to him. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by 24SEVEN: 7:54am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Ogebni, if you like be on your way to the toilet cheesy

You mentioned me first and I lectured you.

You are funny guy. You didn't even 'say' anything, yet you claim Mr. Lecturer.

When Im less busy, I will straighten whatever you feel you've written.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 7:55am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You are silly

What facts?

And what was your igbo brothers using outside Wikipedia and questionable screen shots?

What is your evidence that you people are existing in Equatorial Guinea outside Wikipedia page?

I provided newspaper articles which are allowed as reference in scholarly reviewed Articles published in Journals.

If you suffer from partial blindness due to Emotional attachments to your tribe, you should ask your relatives that are objective enough to help find those reference still available on this thread.

As for you, my stand remains the same. You hardly provide any genuine link other than Internet news(screenshot) and Wikipedia.

Upon that, you hold yourself high as intellectual.

LMAO.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Barbilius: 7:59am On May 29, 2020
unbitchable:

You're sick, unwell and insane.
Like really really sick. People often hype the inter tribal marriages in the SW today. Apart from Lagos, I can confidently say that 99.99999% of marriages in other parts of Yoruba land are Yoruba+Yoruba, no cap on that, just because some intermarriages happen in Lagos doesn't mean it's the same for the rest of the SW. It's one of the lies that have been told over the years that's far becoming true. Marriages in a city like Ibadan has always been a Yoruba affair, ditto for Abeokuta, ife, ilesha, Oyo, Ogbomoso, Ijebu Ode, ilorin etc

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:00am On May 29, 2020
24SEVEN:

You are funny guy. You didn't even 'say' anything, yet you claim Mr. Lecturer.

When Im less busy, I will straighten whatever you feel you've written.
You are shamelessly lying

Is Mandarin a tribe in China?

Is China's Landmass not as large if not larger than West Africa?

Is Igbos overwhelmingly more than Yorubas even within Nigeria in the last couple of census? So how is your China analogy going to fit in since Igbos are not overwhelmingly larger than Yorubas in Nigeria and Yorubas can be found in large numbers else where and igbos are only found in Nigeria?

Not forgetting to mention a War in which igbos claim they lost three million people.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:04am On May 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:

As for you, my stand remains the same. You hardly provide any genuine link other than Internet news(screenshot) and Wikipedia.

Upon that, you hold yourself high as intellectual.

LMAO.
Even big Fracis or whatever igbos claim to be their brain used Wikipedia grin.

I provided Newspaper articles that supported all my claims and someone else provided links to CiA fact books.

Like I said, call someone with a brain to help you go over the evidence presented on the thread so far. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 8:05am On May 29, 2020
Barbilius:
Like really really sick. People often hype the inter tribal marriages in the SW today. Apart from Lagos, I can confidently say that 99.99999% of marriages in other parts of Yoruba land are Yoruba+Yoruba, no cap on that, just because some intermarriages happen in Lagos doesn't mean it's the same for the rest of the SW. It's one of the lies that have been told over the years that's far becoming true. Marriages in a city like Ibadan has always been a Yoruba affair, ditto for Abeokuta, ife, ilesha, Oyo, Ogbomoso, Ijebu Ode, ilorin etc

Lol, whenever they make there claims, I usually think maybe we have another South West.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 8:07am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Even big Fracis or whatever igbos claim to be their brain used Wikipedia grin.

I provided Newspaper articles that supported all my claims and someone else provided links to CiA fact books.

Like I said, call someone with a brain to help you go over the evidence presented on the thread so far. cheesy

Bro, I told you b4 to ignore the mumu you just quote.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:08am On May 29, 2020
Sammy07:

Bro, I've told you b4 to ignore the mumu you just quoted.
You are right bruv, it seems he is a little slow. cheesy
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 8:11am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:

He'll be turning you in a circle, not straight forward.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:13am On May 29, 2020
Sammy07:

He'll be turning you in a circle, not straight forward.
Which of them is straight forward?
They are never honest at any point
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 8:17am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Which of them is straight forward?

They are never honest at any point

At least, some of them tried to bring up something.

I don't like the "I support" gang grin
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 8:22am On May 29, 2020
Sammy07:

Bro, I told you b4 to ignore the mumu you just quote.

Iamgrey5:

Tales of two people. The first is an undergraduate still been fed and housed by his parents and has no knowledge of greater society. I think if not for covid-19 and their labour issues in Nigeria. He should be in class room to put usefulness to his life. So I hardly notice you let alone quoting you

The second (àdded) can be over looked and issues sorted on mainstream but is totally Illogical with all his proofs. He is always right and doesn't make mistake because he is right. It is not lost on me that this was the same person I corrected on a link pertaining to channels website.
All in all, he still proves himself to be way below average by always using screenshot and whack argument as evidence...Who does that...

Until your argument shifts to broad scale, you will continue to rotate with same IQ.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:24am On May 29, 2020
Sammy07:

At least, some of them tried to bring up something.

I don't like the "I support" gang grin
You mean their regular Wikipedia page and questionable screen shots that were defeated with simple logic. cheesy

One even said igbos are third largest ethnic group in Equatorial Guinea not knowing that the first largest two tribes in EG are 97% of the population. grin

Out of the 1.2 million people in Equatorial Guinea, igbos are only 33,000, now compare that to Yorubas in Nigeria, Benin republic and Togo who actually share borders.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (25) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Reportedly Arresting IMSU Students / Peter Obi (obidents) Supporters Acting Mad – Deji Adeyanju / Pictures And Video From APC Presidential Rally In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.