Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (24847 Views)

Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Jim Agbaje Tells CNN Why He Wants To Govern Africa's Most Populous City, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by senatordave1(m): 11:55pm On May 28, 2020
pazienza:

Tarnish Igbo image?
More like protecting Igbo image from hateful beings like you out to tarnish it.

Move biko.

What a waste

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Obamaofusa: 11:55pm On May 28, 2020
AhoadaRivers:

Shut your dirty mouth, If we add the Igbo DNA carriers in the carribeans and south America. The Igbo population will dust yoruba population by million.

You want to pretend that most African Americans are not of Igbo heritage, you want us to fill this thread with pictures of AAs rediscovering their Ibo roots? Most Jamaicans are of Igbo descent, the Jonkunu yam festival in Jamaica and Carribeans stems from the Igbo culture, do yorubas celebrate yam festival?
The word 'Unu' in Jamaican patois and Carribean pidgin is an Igbo word derivative. The first black president of Haiti was a former slave of Igbo descent.

So if you yorubas want to go that lane, be our guest, as we all know that it if we factor in Igbo-descendant population in the Americas and Caribs and add it to the local population and in diaspora, 200 million will be a conservative figure for Igbo global population count.

Stop the obscene words and face reality. Most black Americans/African Americans are of Yoruba root.

Read this:

The Wikipedia has genuine references to cure your ignorance .

Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2-82.1% West African, 16.7%-24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native Americangenetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals

Correspondingly, Montinaro et al. (2014) observed that around 50% of the overall ancestry of African Americans traces back to the Niger-Congo-speaking Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria and southern Benin, reflecting the centrality of this West African region in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Benin here means dahomey or republic of Benin

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 11:55pm On May 28, 2020
Oloun:
what about Equatorial Guinea?
They are very small there. Just 30 thousand.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 11:57pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
I mean the likes of Asaba killings that was credited to Nigerian Army?

It happened.

But they were quickly replaced. We have many traditional laws that allow such quick replacements.
For example, women were usually allowed to be married by fellow women on behalf of the umunna, and the married woman would be impregnated by male members of the umunna on turn by turn basis.
Then she gives birth to lots of children who would be assumed to be children of the deceased male members of the umunna.

This is just only one of the methods we use. There are many more. cool

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 11:57pm On May 28, 2020
pazienza:

Yoruba Muslims. grin

I dash you those ones.
So you succumbed after seeing fact cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by MetaPhysical: 11:58pm On May 28, 2020
AhoadaRivers:

Spread of language is not a yardstick for population. English is spoken in more than 80 countries by more than 3 billion people but the English are less than 55 million people. Kanuri is spoken in Cameroon, Niger, Chad and Nigeria but they are still a minority tribe.

Jukunland is bigger in geographical spread than the South East but the Jukuns remain a tiny minority.

In Nigeria, the Ibos are the most travelled people, they see the whole world as their space and move without hindrance to live and settle in strange lands. That bravery is what makes the Igbos more populous than the yoruba.

Argue as you may, the Ibos are dominant in their land and are the second most dominant after the indigenous population outside their regions within nigeria.

Outside Nigeria within Africa, the Ibos are found in large population in EVERY African country and outside Africa and are easily the most populous Nigerians found in other African countries. 2 in every 5 Africans in diaspora are Nigerians, 1 out of that two is usually an Igbo, the 1 other could come from any other 350 tribes within nigeria.

These are facts laid bare, not your Ewe Ironyin statistical jargon.

Noise is not population.

Igbo makes the most noise and so your chatter registers as a density but in real count you are not even second minority behind ethnic majorities in this country. .

Time after time election has proven it and market filters have proven it.

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Obamaofusa: 11:58pm On May 28, 2020
Apawicked:
the most populous in your ewedu statistics. Why were you not the most populous when this one was counted
lol

Are you in 1952?
Civil war
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 11:59pm On May 28, 2020
Iamgrey5:
There are only 33,000 Igbos in Equatorial Guinea whereas there are 2 million Yorubas in Benin and 300000 Yorubas in Togo

He is saying 33,000 is greater than 2.3 million.
That is their way na

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 12:00am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

No Yoruba in Ghana, and Sierra Leone.

I give you Gambia, Togo and Benin Republic.
Show us igbo palace in Ghana

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Barbilius: 12:00am On May 29, 2020
Michael004:
Off point. Stop acting like agbaya.You get pikin na haba.What are they saying, what are you saying. Why did your election not carry Atiku in. Abi buhari beg you. Even Abiola won despite telling you to go to hell.
Lmao. We're talk say people beg them for votes during election, yet the candidate they supported(Atiku) still lost grin ;DSo much for their votes. I remember that anambra guy was always posting and boasting of how they had collected more pvcs in their regions than SW bla bla bla, upon all, their candidate still lost, lmao. Bunch of noise makers.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:00am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

It happened.

But they were quickly replaced. We have many traditional laws that allow such quick replacements.
For example, women were usually allowed to be married by fellow women on behalf of the umunna, and the married woman would be impregnated by male members of the umunna on turn by turn basis.
Then she gives birth to lots of children who would be assumed to be children of the deceased male members of the umunna.

This is just only one of the methods we use. There are many more. cool
Bruv you have driven yourself into a corner grin

I thought you said not a Substantial number of Igbo adults were lost

Yorubas also practice Polygamy like Northerners especially amongst Muslims and have lots of children

So my questions still remains did Yoruba stop reproducing for igbos to catch up.?

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:02am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bruv you have driven yourself in a corner grin

I thought you said not Substantial number of Igbo adults were lost

Yorubas also practice Polygamy like Northerners especially amongst Muslims and have lots of children

So my questions still remains did Yoruba stop reproducing for igbos to catch up.?

Did you stop reproducing when we lost numbers to slave thread and still had more numbers than you? grin
What corner are you talking about?

We lost adults, but not in millions and they were quickly replaced.

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:03am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

Did you stop reproducing when we lost numbers to slave thread and still had more numbers than you? grin
What corner are you talking about?

We lost adults, but not in millions and they were quickly replaced.
So Yorubas didn't lost numbers to slave trade?

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:04am On May 29, 2020
Obamaofusa:

Stop the obscene words and face reality. Most black Americans/African Americans are of Yoruba root.

Read this:

The Wikipedia has genuine references to cure your ignorance .

Recent surveys of African Americans using a genetic testing service have found varied ancestries which show different tendencies by region and sex of ancestors. These studies found that on average, African Americans have 73.2-82.1% West African, 16.7%-24% European, and 0.8–1.2% Native Americangenetic ancestry, with large variation between individuals

Correspondingly, Montinaro et al. (2014) observed that around 50% of the overall ancestry of African Americans traces back to the Niger-Congo-speaking Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria and southern Benin, reflecting the centrality of this West African region in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Benin here means dahomey or republic of Benin

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Americans

Bigfrancis21.
This is suppose to be your field of play.
Come and do the needful.
Role the stats, the maps and the charts. grin
You know, just do your thing.

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:04am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
So Yorubas didn't lost numbers to slave trade?

Not as much as Ndiigbo.

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 12:05am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

How many Yorubas are in Ghana, Ivory Coast or Liberia?
grin
No official figures, only guess works.

But this here my friend, is an official figure :https://www.nairaland.com/5875972/1952-nigeria-ethnicity-census-result

Cry me a river. grin
Lol, who crying here now grin. You are not even up to 1% in Guinea. Show me igbo palace in Equatorial Guinea cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:06am On May 29, 2020
Michael004:
Lol, who crying here now grin. You are not even up to 1% in Guinea. Show me igbo palace in Equatorial Guinea cheesy

Swallow this and keep quiet.
Real numbers. Not Ewedu statistics from Yemi Oluwale.
https://www.nairaland.com/5875972/1952-nigeria-ethnicity-census-result grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Barbilius: 12:06am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bruv you have driven yourself in a corner grin

I thought you said not Substantial number of Igbo adults were lost

I just laughed when I read the guy's submission, like Yorubas stopped reproducing during that period and waited for them to produce children so everything could be balance, what an illogical submission!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 12:07am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

https:///wiki/Demographics_of_Ghana
Stop posting error source. Source that doesn't exist.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 12:08am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

Whatever.
Still :https://www.nairaland.com/5875972/1952-nigeria-ethnicity-census-result

Choke on the above grin wink
Kpele, why are you calm cos I destroyed your lies cheesy
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:08am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

Not as much as Ndiigbo.
Bight of Benin was the Largest port for slave trade in West Africa at the end of 19th century

Google Trans Atlantic slave trade
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:09am On May 29, 2020
Barbilius:
I just laughed when I read the guy's submission, like Yorubas stopped reproducing during that period and waited for them to produce children so everything could be balance, what an illogical submission!!!

Swallow this and be sharp :https://www.nairaland.com/5875972/1952-nigeria-ethnicity-census-result

If you want to test again. Add ethnicity to census figures and get a neutral body. Because obviously, we would not accept any Ewedu statistics from Yemi Oluwale. smiley

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Michael004: 12:09am On May 29, 2020
Bendeco2020:

Population is not about land mass bro

kanuri, Jukun, gwari and some other minority tribes have large land mass than Igbo's... But as we all know, the Igbo's are far more populated than them.

Even Niger state or Borno state is bigger than Yoruba six states combined together...... does that implies that gwari or kanuri that owns those states has more population than Yoruba tribe?

Liar, you are just pained.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:09am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bight of Benin was the Largest port for slave trade in West Africa at the end of 19th century

Google Trans Atlantic slave trade

And how many of them were Yorubas?
See what I found from Bigfrancis21 posts.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:11am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

Who is the majority tribe in Bight of Bini

Why do you think the Male revolution was led by Yorubas in Brazil?
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Jawn(m): 12:13am On May 29, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Who dash Ijaw 15 million bikonu
Not only that, fulani worldwide are not up to 18m. Ask wikipedia
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:16am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

See what I found from Bigfrancis21 posts.
Show this One of Igbos and let us compare
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:16am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Who is the majority tribe in Bight of Bini

Why do you think the Male revolution was led by Yorubas in Brazil?

Which Yorubas led the revolution in Brazil?

Don't get it twisted.

Congo, Angola groups are the majority in Brazil and they came earlier at a time "deAfricanization" was common in Americas. So they lost they cultures and had to embrace the Yoruba culture of Yoruba slaves who were late comers at a point the deAfricanization policy had been relaxed.

That you see a black slave in Brazil bearing Yoruba name or practicing Yoruba culture, does not mean they were originally Yorubas.

9 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:17am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Can't you see Bight of Biafra there?

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:18am On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

Can't you see Bight of Biafra there?
Slave trade didn't stop in 1807

Stop being clever by half cheesy

Bight of Biafra included Igbos, Efik and Cameroon groups.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:18am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:

I will wait for Bigfrancis21 to arrive.
That's his expertise grin

I trust him on that aspect.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 12:20am On May 29, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Slave trade didn't stop in 1807

Stop be clever by half cheesy

Bight of Biafra included Igbos, Efik and Cameroon groups.

Wikipedia is not a good source in delicate information like this.

Let's wait for Bigfrancis21 to arrive with better details.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply)

Ekiti Bye-election: 3 Persons Feared Killed in Olujimi's Polling Unit / Anambra 2021: Maduka Makes Case For PDP, Releases 25 Campaign Vehicles To PDP / Peter Obi Meets Sultan Of Sokoto (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.