Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) (69762 Views)

Babangida And Aikhomu Decorating Abacha With His New Rank (Throwback Photo) / Ibrahim Babangida And David Mark Pictured Together Amid Death Rumour / Aisha Buhari: Garba Shehu And Mamman Daura Undermining Office Of The First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by abbiboy: 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
[quote author=Generalkaycee post=90337999][/quote]

Did he lie?
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by kunle4toyeyaho: 10:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
[quote author=Generalkaycee post=90337999][/quote] Disgruntled element .No wonder your zone has never been considered worthy of leading the country.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Thetruthshallse(m): 10:59pm On Jun 05, 2020
And this man went ahead to kill his friend and best man. Ibb is truly an evil man. May he not find mercy with God.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Majesty33(m): 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2020
This inhumane IBB later implicated this Vasta guy who was his best friend and hot him killed because of lack of trust.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Equity15(m): 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
What I wrote there is a fact. Civilians see major as a very big rank. Majors may even call themselves senior officers, but senior officer in the Nigerian military starts from Lt. Colonel. Major and below are junior officers. That is why they must attend and pass the senior course before they can be promoted to Lt. Colonel. Ask any military man and he'll tell you same.
lol, I'm an insider, you'll actually go for the senior officers course at the rank of captain, when you pass, you'll be promoted to a major. a squadron leader ain't a junior officer.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
Equity15:
lol, I'm an insider, you'll actually go for the senior officers course at the rank of captain, when you pass, you'll be promoted to a major. a squadron leader ain't a junior officer.
I was also an insider. Captain go for junior course or div. There's no way a captain in the army will go for senior course. Where were you in 1990? Remember the C130 that crashed in Ejibo killing Hundreds of Majors, Squardron Leaders and Lt. Cdrs? Those were senior course candidates. How many times have you seen an officer hang on the rank of Captain? Rarely happens. But we have seen people remain on the rank of Major for years, simply because they failed their senior course. I'm not saying you're not in the military. Not everybody doing my father's job know these, let alone landlubers.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Guestlander: 11:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
ITbomb:
How the thread quickly degraded to tribal level doesn't shock me any more

They forgot to mention that Babangida eventually killed his friend over a bogus coup plot.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by osazuwa23: 1:55am On Jun 06, 2020
The biggest mistake the world made was given nigerians access to laptop and phone big mistake cry
ITbomb:
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by supereagle(m): 6:29am On Jun 06, 2020
trutht828:

Stop covering up shameful cowardice.

That statement only means one thing: that the Yoruba tribe is not serious
You got it wrong. Yoruba will fight a war without shooting- Ojukwu. Yoruba officers handled the difficult terrains during the civil war, they led the final battle that ended the war. Many of you don't know history. Sense has elude many of you calling Yoruba cowards.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Yoighaman(m): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2020
sarrki:
Then major Ibrahim babangida and major mamman vatsa on March 21 1969, in okigwe (in present day imo )

I find the picture very interesting...they both never had an idea of where destiny was leading them to.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by TheAviator: 7:52am On Jun 06, 2020
Donpenny:
Look at how young they were as a very senior officer in the army. Today is hard to climb to that position and even beyond if you are not well connected in the pubilc service.

You are wrong sir
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by TheAviator: 7:53am On Jun 06, 2020
stagger:
If only Vatsa knew that the man whom he knew as "brother" and his bestman would be the one that would send him to the firing squad.

He didn't send him to the firing squad. An SMT headed by General Charles Ndiomu did.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by TheAviator: 7:55am On Jun 06, 2020
arantess:
...Babangida would go ahead to sentence Vatsa to death by firing squad
What manner of friend is that?

Babangida was the President. Presidents don't sentence people. An SMT headed by General Charles Ndiomu did, not Babangida
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Ayobami7(m): 8:07am On Jun 06, 2020
hmmm
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by juman(m): 9:00am On Jun 06, 2020
Nigeria generals --- oleeeeeee

Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by DelphiOracle(m): 9:04am On Jun 06, 2020
BabaOwen:
He was accused of planning a coup.
mehhh that was bad
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by kolade560: 9:14am On Jun 06, 2020
[quote author=Generalkaycee post=90337999][/quote]

And you have sacrificed millions and still nothing to show for it. Many to still go for it...biafuro
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by mindtricks: 10:04am On Jun 06, 2020
ITbomb:
That is how they quickly always drift away from away from key issues in real life over frivolities. Our looters know this and put it use whenever called for.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by mindtricks: 10:05am On Jun 06, 2020
TheAviator:

Babangida was the President. Presidents don't sentence people. An SMT headed by General Charles Ndiomu did, not Babangida

Lie. Only babies think this is true.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Urokompo: 10:05am On Jun 06, 2020
Kudos for the current state of Nigeria.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by mindtricks: 10:09am On Jun 06, 2020
Majesty33:
This inhumane IBB later implicated this Vasta guy who was his best friend and hot him killed because of lack of trust.

Sad truth.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by TheAviator: 10:55am On Jun 06, 2020
[quote author=mindtricks post=90364874]

Lie. Only babies think this is true. [quote]

Facts are stubborn things
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by TheAviator: 10:58am On Jun 06, 2020
mindtricks:

Lie. Only babies think this is true.

Facts are stubborn things
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Equity15(m): 12:17pm On Jun 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
I was also an insider. Captain go for junior course or div. There's no way a captain in the army will go for senior course. Where were you in 1990? Remember the C130 that crashed in Ejibo killing Hundreds of Majors, Squardron Leaders and Lt. Cdrs? Those were senior course candidates. How many times have you seen an officer hang on the rank of Captain? Rarely happens. But we have seen people remain on the rank of Major for years, simply because they failed their senior course. I'm not saying you're not in the military. Not everybody doing my father's job know these, let alone landlubers.
no bro, you're wrong. I lived the larger part of my life in the barracks, Pupcee(a soldier) would always lecture us these things since we were kids cos his dream is for us to be generals lol. so I have known these things since I was a kid, I can identify a fake soldier or officer just by looking at how he dresses/ asking just a few questions. my knowledge of the military is sooo deep bro, I can give detailed info on the Biafra, Liberia, sierraleone, Sudan wars and peace keeping and even major coups at a very tenger age then. (lol, maybe I can possibly plan a coup) but let's leave that. a major is a Senior military officer. we can say he's junior-senior officer lol but definitely not a junior officer

Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by PatrickOkunima(m): 12:49pm On Jun 06, 2020
That you're a barrack boy does not mean you know everything about the military. Even some solders don't know these things. A major, any where in the world is a junior officer. You said, junior-senior officer. How does that sound to you? Throughout my years in the military, I never heard that. As an officer, you're either a junior officer or a senior officer. Same goes for the other rank; Junior NCO or Senior NCO. If you have doubt, ask any officer above the rank of a major, cos if you ask a major, he may tell you he's a senior officer, whereas he's not.
Equity15:
no bro, you're wrong. I lived the larger part of my life in the barracks, Pupcee(a soldier) would always lecture us these things since we were kids cos his dream is for us to be generals lol. so I have known these things since I was a kid, I can identify a fake soldier or officer just by looking at how he dresses/ asking just a few questions. my knowledge of the military is sooo deep bro, I can give detailed info on the Biafra, Liberia, sierraleone, Sudan wars and peace keeping and even major coups at a very tenger age then. (lol, maybe I can possibly plan a coup) but let's leave that. a major is a Senior military officer. we can say he's junior-senior officer lol but definitely not a junior officer

Edited:

I saw pix. FYI, Wikipedia is not an authority on any subject, that's why in academics we don't use it. That same source you screenshot can be edited by me tomorrow, where I will write that senior officer starts from the rank of a Whisky Oscar.

1 Like

Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Equity15(m): 1:11pm On Jun 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:
That you're a barrack boy does not mean you know everything about the military. Even some solders don't know these things. A major, any where in the world is a junior officer. You said, junior-senior officer. How does that sound to you? Throughout my years in the military, I never heard that. As an officer, you're either a junior officer or a senior officer. Same goes for the other rank; Junior NCO or Senior NCO. If you have doubt, ask any officer above the rank of a major, cos if you ask a major, he may tell you he's a senior officer, whereas he's not.

Edited:

I saw pix. FYI, Wikipedia is not an authority on any subject, that's why in academics we don't use it. That same source you screenshot can be edited by me tomorrow, where I will write that senior officer starts from the rank of a Whisky Oscar.
I was actually joking and wanted to end the argument without disputing what you said as I respected your view. i guess you didn't see the 'lol' there. by junior-senior I meant, the major is the most junior senior officer. I don't know if you get it. just as we have underank where SNCO starts from the rank of Sergeant to AWO. and yes I know wikipedia can be edited by just anybody. a major is a senior officer he goes for a command course after which he is promoted and probably given a battalion to command as a Lt.col. mind you, majors are 2ics in a battalion.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2020
Equity15:
I was actually joking and wanted to end the argument without disputing what you said as I respected your view. i guess you didn't see the 'lol' there. by junior-senior I meant, the major is the most junior senior officer. I don't know if you get it. just as we have underank where SNCO starts from the rank of Sergeant to AWO. and yes I know wikipedia can be edited by just anybody. a major is a senior officer he goes for a command course after which he is promoted and probably given a battalion to command as a Lt.col. mind you, majors are 2ics in a battalion.

Okay, at the joke part. A few points:

1. A major attending command course, is in preparation for the responsibilities that come with the next promotion to senior officer. It's just like they do in the Navy. To become a Senior NCO, you must attend and pass the senior NCO course as an AB or LS. A senior NCO does not go for senior NCO course, he's already there.

2. Majors are 2IC. Anybody can be 2IC. If there's no Major in the battalion, will the position be left empty? No, the next rank will fill in that position.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Equity15(m): 4:47pm On Jun 06, 2020
PatrickOkunima:

Okay, at the joke part. A few points:

1. A major attending command course, is in preparation for the responsibilities that come with the next promotion to senior officer. It's just like they do in the Navy. To become a Senior NCO, you must attend and pass the senior NCO course as an AB or LS. A senior NCO does not go for senior NCO course, he's already there.

2. Majors are 2IC. Anybody can be 2IC. If there's no Major in the battalion, will the position be left empty? No, the next rank will fill in that position.

yes, your second point is correct. now do you know examinations are written as junior officers? the exams stops after capt to major...you don't write exams from major to Lt. col..you go for courses. have you seen a stagnant major?(I.e someone stuck in major rank for years without promotion to Lt.col) it's rarely seen. but there are dozens of officers stuck at captain rank because the exam written to become a senior officer(major is the hardest). i know many capts that have been retired cos they failed the promotion exam thrice. that's why it is very hard to see the army retire a major except it's an executive commission.
After major, ranks come based on courses not exams unlike junior officers. Another hard rank to attain is crossing from colonel to brig.Gen(going to war college et all) cos that's moving to another level senior officers echelon. you can ask around or make research on this. these are facts
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by brain54(m): 10:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
life
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by olusegxz: 1:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
Equity15:

yes, your second point is correct. now do you know examinations are written as junior officers? the exams stops after capt to major...you don't write exams from major to Lt. col..you go for courses. have you seen a stagnant major?(I.e someone stuck in major rank for years without promotion to Lt.col) it's rarely seen. but there are dozens of officers stuck at captain rank because the exam written to become a senior officer(major is the hardest). i know many capts that have been retired cos they failed the promotion exam thrice. that's why it is very hard to see the army retire a major except it's an executive commission.
After major, ranks come based on courses not exams unlike junior officers. Another hard rank to attain is crossing from colonel to brig.Gen(going to war college et all) cos that's moving to another level senior officers echelon. you can ask around or make research on this. these are facts

I have been following the arguments on both sides. You are looking at the major rank as a bc (If you are an insider you will know what that means.). Now, major is in no means a small rank. Barack men can attest to this. Its hard work to reach. Majors are respected but are still very much field boys, mostly commanding batallions or acting as 2ic. But when you say senior officer, you must have red neck. Technically thats from colonel but from Lt col you are regarded as a senior officer. You cannot call yourself a senior officer as major. Go and ask any uniform.
Re: Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) by Shezzman: 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2023
Hmmm.
Vatsa was later sentence to death during the IBB regime

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Operation Crocodile Smile Show Of Force (pics) / Activists Arrested & Beaten At Dunamis Church For Wearing Buhari Must Go Shirts / Osinbajo Is My Problem -Jonathan Cries Out In Secret Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.