Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,010 members, 7,814,446 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad (13088 Views)

How I make my millions and How To Handle Business Start Up/ Business Management / Cement Business - Start It I Can Help (by Dangote Distributor) / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by manny4life(m): 11:07pm On Jan 27, 2011
@ Outstrip, many business fail for their own reasons (largely CAPITAL), not really because of taxes and payroll that is why there is ADP for small business and even many banks like Bank of America does your payroll and Bank Reconciliation. Its true this are challenging, but there are organizations out there willing to handle this services for free, from hiring to development to finance. As for the accounting side, most businesses use Quick Books and their owners are quite familiar to some extent with this software, but in the case u are not, if u hire a PT bookkeeper for 15hrs per week to keep ur books up to date, i don't think thats a problem yet u get the professional expertise at a very affordable price. In all, I think business activities and operations can easily be handled properly if you know what you're doing and shouldn't fail as a result of that.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by princeonx: 2:39am On Jan 28, 2011
Get a dealer licence, buy cars for about 25-40% cheaper at the dealers auto auction and make at least $1000 profit on every car you sell. If you average selling one car a week, you'll be making about $4000 a month and all transaction from test driving to paper work all end in less than 2 hours. You can also do this part time and from home if you are a student or have a regular job. I started off doing it part time myself but I really don't see me punching in/out anywhere again EVER (God's grace). I just buy my cars, put pictures on line, and set my ring tone to the loudest volume. You can also export to naija if/whenever you have a buyer. I am so enjoying this that I just sit and listen whenever I hear people talking about how stressfull their jobs or everyday's life is. I spend almost every hours of the day with my 4months old son and am still able to put $6-$8,000 in my account every month. A lot of people are making way morethan that but honestly, I am very happy.

2 Likes

Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Outstrip(f): 3:07am On Jan 28, 2011
Prince onx you are right. Selling used cars here in the states can be lucrative if you know what you are doing. You do not even have to have a lot though that's probably the way I would do it if I was into that.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by soreola(f): 3:12am On Jan 28, 2011
I think as an African it is a lil easier to start a business abroad. Most africans in north america dont have access to a lot of the goods that are available in africa and would be delighted to have someone bring some of those things over to sell. But my main constraint is my inability to find a business idea (4 bus. in 9ja) that:

~is original
~would generate a huge amount of demand

from what I hear most of the possibilities have been exhausted

~clothes from north america/UK/Middle East
~Food from the West
~Even some of the Western culture (whose importing I do not support)

so I like this idea of pouring out possible ideas, a suggestion for those looking to do business in Nigeria:

If you are always complaining about a certain deficiency in Nigeria do something no matter how little to affect change in that area

Ex: offer a training program for upcoming directors n' actors ~ that is of course if you have top quality training in this area
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by darqly(m): 9:12am On Jan 28, 2011
@ Shy-one, i would appreciate more info esp on editing and proof-reading for clients. I do enjoy reading though my present job is a real time-killer, i'm sure I could find de time to read and edit most weekends. Have a good eye for spotting spelling errors especially on websites. Do you do yours online? or manuscripts are sent to you hardcopy?
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ijora: 10:14am On Jan 28, 2011
prince_onx,
nice post i have actually been trying to get into the fairly used car business expecailly the ones from USA
i do not have much capital, am interested in the biz pls reach me om reachricardo@aol.com if u are interested in doing biz.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by DisGuy: 10:40am On Jan 28, 2011
jeremiahb:

In UK do either of the below and be ready to attend alot of parties

DJ
Alaga Iduro\MC
Photographer
Make up Artist
Party Entertainer
Event Planner\Decorator
Cake Designer

A useless DJ in UK earns nothing less than £150 - £200 and a good DJ the sky is your limit

Too true, my friend earm 150-200 for home/hall parties and much more Djing at the clubs
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by princeonx: 6:24pm On Jan 28, 2011
@ ijora: buying, exporting, and selling in Nigeria was my main goal when I first went into auto business but the stories behind it is way too much for me. If you bring a car with black leather seat, they'll tell you brown/cream colour sell more/better. If the rims are 5 fingers, they'll tell you that 3 fingers sell more/better, if the mileage is 90 thousand, they'll tell you that buyers want 50 thousand miles, if its 50 they'll ask for 30 unless you want half the price. At a point I felt like these guys over there both cousins, uncles, and friends are all simply wicked and evil. These guys were making it big with one or two cars at a time (buying properties and houses) while am struggling here trying to pay my bills eventhough I had like 7 or 8 cars sitting in their lots in naija, and when they finally sell one, they will subtract all kind of commissions, fees, security, etc and still tell you that the buyer is yet to complete the payment! then the stories begin! If anybody die in their village, no money for you, kids sent home from school, no money for you etc. People buy cars here (USA) for mobility and according to their pocket or income (except few) but in naija most buy it for show-off. I just bought a car for a guy in naija who paid $5,500 more for the one with GPS eventhough he knew very well that it wont work in Nigeria (na him money, who cares) yet he want me to ship the car with my own money and get paid later. To cut stories short, I have to have a buyer and at least 50% of the money with the other 50% due upon arrival before I export any car to Nigeria. I am so not into "bring make we help you sell am" any more.

@ helegunje: this one wey you get solution to everything including politic, and AIDS cool you be native doctor?

1 Like

Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
Prince onx,

You nailed it.

I have a friend wh shipped 2 Honda accord 2008 model since 2008, and they are still paying him in trickles till today. Some times they would just send $500 as part of the payment for the past 3 yrs.

The guy spent all his savigs to send those cars now he has been evicted from his apartment, all his property he put at the storage has been lost the guy Make I no yarn.

Naija people and dem problems
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by mbulela: 7:59pm On Jan 28, 2011
dayokanu:

Prince onx,

You nailed it.

I have a friend wh shipped 2 Honda accord 2008 model since 2008, and they are still paying him in trickles till today. Some times they would just send $500 as part of the payment for the past 3 yrs.

The guy spent all his savigs to send those cars now he has been evicted from his apartment, all his property he put at the storage has been lost the guy Make I no yarn.

Naija people and dem problems
i need the Holy Ghost to appear to me in bodily form to enable me do buying and selling in Nigeria.
to buy no hard, when it is time to pay, puff puff turns to buns.
It is not for the faint hearted.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Lanrefemi: 8:36pm On Jan 30, 2011
Good thread!
As a business analyst I reckon I can contribute one or two things as well.

To start a business, whether in the US,UK,Australia,Nigeria or any country, there are always four important things we must consider, they are listed below:

1.PRODUCT: This means you must first identify the product you want to trade in e.g cloths, electronics etc, or in manufacturing business the product you want to be manufacturing. In business, product could also means services, e.g hairdressing,cleaning,consultancy,owning restaurants, etc, it could also means selling your talents eg musicians, actors, footballers.
Like people have written ealier, the product/service to trade in should be something you have passion for or your area of strenght and interest, because it's very important to have something that will be driving you on even when it seems the business is not going the way you want.

2. PLACE: This is your business location or market as they say in business, it's very important to identify the location and place where your product/services is really needed i.e where your product can sell quickly, or else you will be like someone trying to sell ice to the eskimos!

3.PRICE: This is important as well, with wrong pricing you can either make losses or even scare potential customer away. Therefore it's very fair and reasonable to have an idea about your pricing plan before you even start investing in the business.

4. PROMOTION: Make yourself and business known, advertise your product through the internet, friends and families, fliers, bill-board or sign posts etc.
Finally put God at the begining of the business, have passion for it, it's not going to be easy at first, but surely success will come.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by tennyalad(m): 8:46pm On Jan 30, 2011
Lanrefemi:

Good thread!
As a business analyst I reckon I can contribute one or two things as well.

To start a business, whether in the US,UK,Australia,Nigeria or any country, there are always four important things we must consider, they are listed below:

1.PRODUCT: This means you must first identify the product you want to trade in e.g cloths, electronics etc, or in manufacturing business the product you want to be manufacturing. In business, product could also means services, e.g hairdressing,cleaning,consultancy,owning restaurants, etc, it could also means selling your talents eg musicians, actors, footballers.
Like people have written ealier, the product/service to trade in should be something you have passion for or your area of strenght and interest, because it's very important to have something that will be driving you on even when it seems the business is not going the way you want.

2. PLACE: This is your business location or market as they say in business, it's very important to identify the location and place where your product/services is really needed i.e where your product can sell quickly, or else you will be like someone trying to sell ice to the eskimos!

3.PRICE: This is important as well, with wrong pricing you can either make losses or even scare potential customer away. Therefore it's very fair and reasonable to have an idea about your pricing plan before you even start investing in the business.

4. PROMOTION: Make yourself and business known, advertise your product through the internet, friends and families, fliers, bill-board or sign posts etc.
Finally put God at the begining of the business, have passion for it, it's not going to be easy at first, but surely success will come.

These are the 4P's of marketing, I think the list is not complete without the 4C's because we have to consider the consumers as well.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Lanrefemi: 10:18pm On Jan 30, 2011
@tennyalad:
That's very true, the consumer is always the priority and that's why i said the place or market where the products or sevices is going to be sold, needed or consumed has to be identified first or 'gap in the market' as people put it, or else the whole essense of starting the business will be defeated.

The 4cs which are:customer,competition,cost and communication are just like the newer version of the 4ps. whichever way both systems of categorisation are almost the same and are very useful.

COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: that is, what do i do for the long term to make my product/services unique, and be able to compete with my competitors in the market to be able to have an edge for the long term. This is where strategies comes into play, that is, the way we have and maintain the competitive advantage.

All these things are very important for anybody wanting to start a business on a long term basis to consider.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by gpisflying: 11:29am On Jan 31, 2011
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by zeekobrown(m): 7:34pm On Jan 31, 2011
Hi,
I am currently exploring business opportunities around the Oil and Gas sector in Nigeria especially the niger delta region. I have previously worked with an Oil and Gas servicing Comp in Portharcourt. Im presently trying to incoporate a strategic alliance with some technical partners in the Uk so we can go into a joint venture business.
Theres are loads of business opportunities in the area of tank farm cleaning or drilling bits and logistics for the oil and gas industry. anyone interested should hook me up on this email rmitechs@gmail.com
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by bayokelvin(m): 7:09pm On Feb 01, 2011
[color=#006600][/color]

Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by gpisflying: 2:56pm On Feb 02, 2011
Saw this interview some days back.Very inspiring
http://thecreativeafricans.com/ceo-churchill-mambe-left-job-start-company-19-college-degree/?utm_source=nairaland%2BStartup%2Bbusiness&utm_medium=linking&utm_campaign=links
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 12:54am On Feb 09, 2011
hello
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by afoson(m): 7:08pm On Feb 09, 2011
Export any car from USA
These companies can help you to export cars from any US auction!
http://www.cheapcarsinsuranceestate.com/
http://www.freecreditreportings.com/
http://www.naijajobmarket.com

Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Actionleap: 7:49pm On Feb 10, 2011
Shy_one,
I need your email address or rather you can reach me on lanregrace71@yahoo.com.
I plan to start an NGO but i will need massive grants, i am ready to put $10,000.00 as my contribution. I am not doing this for profit but to see lives being transformed.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Actionleap: 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2011
Shy_one,
I need your email address or rather you can reach me on lanregrace71@yahoo.com.
I plan to start an NGO but i will need massive grants, i am ready to put $10,000.00 as my contribution. I am not doing this for profit but to see lives being transformed.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Actionleap: 8:08pm On Feb 10, 2011
Prince_onx,

Never trust your relations here in Naija at all or else, wetin happen for 1914 go repeat imself. Do your biz and take care of your money. Continue in small way, earn pple's trust and you'll make your money. Do not send cars to relations to sell for you. Unless you wan make masquerade begin pursue you for dream.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by armyofone(m): 3:04pm On Feb 14, 2011
liking it here
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by DisGuy: 3:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
Driving instructor cheesy

up to £20/hour and about 40 lessons on average to pass a driving test
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 5:45pm On Feb 14, 2011
armyofone:

liking it here

You like it here because I am here abi?
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by armyofone(m): 6:54pm On Feb 14, 2011
who are u? do i know you from Neptune angry
grin so make i know find money cuz dk is around the corner? abeg scram
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2011
Oya find money come my room na.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ajadek(m): 7:48pm On May 08, 2011
If u dont mind and be trustworthy, i can be send money to u over dere, u buy some goods like laptop,blackbery.cars or i send some local product.like bitter cola, or any other thing u think it can be sold over there, i just bring advice,if i am wrong u can corect me.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by nthnymarce(m): 9:55am On May 09, 2011
@honeyguy
I really need some insights on alomo bitter business.can we discuss further.I can secure the companies francise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Portugal, Others Buy Nigerian Crude Oil First Time / Inventions That Can Make You Rich (both In Nigeria And Abroad) / Aliko Dangote Celebrates His 67th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.