Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,424 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? (7765 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / How Not To Train Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by mamagee3(f): 11:07pm On Jan 25, 2011
Is America the right place to train children?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by obowunmi(m): 12:01am On Jan 26, 2011
Depends on family values --- no place like Nigeria though.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 12:44am On Jan 26, 2011
@OP,

Where were you trained? Ajegunle or Corpus Christi?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by lonewolf: 11:31am On Jan 26, 2011
A child can be raised anywhere. If he/she is going to turn out well, it wouldn't matter whether or not he/she is raised in Pakistan.

There is nothing to back up the idea that people raised in Nigeria have better values than people raised abroad -- they just have different values. I know people raised in Naij with shitty attitudes, I know people raised in England that will give Mother Theresa a run for her cash. Just create what you think is a perfect environment for your kids whereever you might be and everything will be all good.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by adexchamp(m): 11:40am On Jan 26, 2011
Well it depends on how you train your child or the enviroment whether in America or 9ja,everyone thinks that training a child in America can turn him to a bad boy but same thing happen here in naija too so it depends on the parents.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by REALTRUTH1: 11:46am On Jan 26, 2011
lonewolf:

A child can be raised anywhere. If he/she is going to turn out well, it wouldn't matter whether or not he/she is raised in Pakistan.There is nothing to back up the idea that people raised in Nigeria have better values than people raised abroad -- they just have different values. I know people raised in Naij with shitty attitudes, I know people raised in England that will give Mother Theresa a run for her cash. Just create what you think is a perfect environment for your kids whereever you might be and everything will be all good.
 You re absolutely correct,,,people just sit down somewhere and think Nigeria is anywhere better than US or UK when it comes to upbringing,,,,The children growing up in Nigeria right now scares me,,,,you just listen to their conversations,,,,there has been three consecutive waec results out the highest pass rate in them all was about 20%. That is just a clue,,,moreover, Nigeria as it is now does not have an identity, values or morals to hold claim to,,,,a very sad truth.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 26, 2011
train your child in Nigeria and he would be able to adapt in any place and condition he/she may find himself. It is difficult to be lazy down here oh. Trian them in US and they would find it difficult to stay more than 2weeks in Nigeria and any other place. No condition is permanent oh. Nigeria will soon get better and if they come back we will cheat them oh! cheesy
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Bavarian: 12:32pm On Jan 26, 2011
The best place to train a child is Munich, this city has one of the highest standard of living in the world grin
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by MMM2(m): 12:33pm On Jan 26, 2011
YES, 2 me a child dat wants 2 be useful will be useful and a child dat wants 2 be useless will still be useless.
Although most of de kids raised in america lack respect.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 26, 2011
No where is bad or good, its just the morals and values that are taught to child that determine how well they turn out.

And I agree with the person above me.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzor(m): 1:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
If raised in naija the child can easily adapt to anywhere including US. But wen raised in US, he can never spend more than one week in his fathers land,
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Princek12(m): 2:44pm On Jan 26, 2011
hell nah! Before you know your child will end up acting  like Soulja Boy. American culture is also very infectious. If you think about how many Nigerian youths who have never reached Murtala Muhammed Int Airport try to emulate these low life rappers, just imagine how many Nigerian kids in America emulate the ways of the hip hop generation in America. It's right in their face.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by SisiKill1: 2:58pm On Jan 26, 2011
Princek12:

hell nah! Before you know your child will end up acting  like Soulja Boy. American culture is also very infectious. If you think about how many Nigerian youths who have never reached Murtala Muhammed Int Airport try to emulate these low life rappers, just imagine how many Nigerian kids in America emulate the ways of the hip hop generation in America. It's right in their face.

It's so funny to me when I read statement like this for the stance against raising kids abroad. Don't you get it. . . it is because it's right in their face, the kids in America won't emulate these people. It's NOT a novelty to them and they understand the culture/context in which it comes to play. The kids in Nigeria DO NOT have that advantage, they see something on TV and think "oh that's how Americans are" and try to emulate it. I've seen more Naija girls with Rhianna type red, purple, orange, burgundy hair than I have American girls. I've heard more Naija kids using the F, C, M words than I have the American kids. . . matter of fact, it is the American Kids who going " shocked shocked  Oh! Oh He said a baaad word shocked shocked" cheesy

Anyway, my point is this. . . the reason you have started above does not hold water.

@ Topic
I think it's more about HOW and not WHERE you raise your children.

Now if we are talking about advantages such as good schools, health care etc. . .Then yeah, absolutely America is a better place. Why, even Timbuktu is a better place than Nigeria, except of course you have billions of Naira at your disposal.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by naijafrend: 3:36pm On Jan 26, 2011
^ Seconded
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by turboman(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2011
a significant setback in training a child in the US is the fact that the american system frowns at the use of some simple training tools n techniques like koboko, slap, physical purnishments, etc. But in 9ja all these are at your disposal.
I'm not an advocate of corpral purnishment, but i was brought up that way and it really worked
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by JUO(m): 4:11pm On Jan 26, 2011
no
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by freecocoa(f): 4:48pm On Jan 26, 2011
I belive environment matters in the upbringing of a child but then again a child dat decides to be useless remains that way,so it's not necessarily WHERE but HOW dat matters,although i must say that most children trained abroad are disrespectful and the authorities over there need to allow corporal purnishment even if its just 2 or 3 slaps for any offence commited that'll really help.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 5:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
if you have money and live away from the hoodratz and ghetto roaches ? and have enough money to pay for private schools ? yup it is
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 5:27pm On Jan 26, 2011
From my experience as a postgraduate student in europe, I made up my mind that my children will not spend so much of their life in Nigeria, because a 20yrs old child brought up in europe is so exposed in knowledge to be able to compete favorably in this challenging world, than an average 30years old person in Nigeria.
People only look at the negative part of things forgetting that the negativity which affect the ways of reasoning of an average Nigerian child, is worst than all the negative part they see in the western countries.
Basic to University education in the west is something you cannot dream of when you are in Nigeria and that is the most important thing a child need to be able to face the real world
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 5:38pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

From my experience as a postgraduate student in europe, I made up my mind that my children will not spend so much of their life in Nigeria, because a 20yrs old child brought up in europe is so exposed in knowledge to be able to compete favorably in this challenging world, than an average 30years old person in Nigeria.
People only look at the negative part of things forgetting that the negativity which affect the ways of reasoning of an average Nigerian child, is worst than all the negative part they see in the western countries.
Basic to University education in the west is something you cannot dream of when you are in Nigeria and that is the most important thing a child need to be able to face the real world
when you say europe, i hope you are not speaking about england. the youth in england are the dumbest in the world. their aspirations are to be chavs, pregnant with a council flat and giro, party animals, drunks or football hooligans grin
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by cold(m): 5:56pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

when you say europe, i hope you are not speaking about england. the youth in england are the dumbest in the world. their aspirations are to be chavs, pregnant with a council flat and giro, party animals, drunks or football hooligans grin
grin This might seem a tard too harsh but it aint far from the truth
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Demainman1: 6:06pm On Jan 26, 2011
University education in naija is dead and buried. All they are churning out these days are Cult boys and Prostitutes. There is no way i want my kids to graduate from those kind of settings if that is your idea of training up a child in Naija.

Bringing the kids up to secondary school level (Private o!!) can be helpful though.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by frgy1: 6:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
Really , it depends on what you want for your kids and what you can accept from them
For me , I won't want to raise my kids in a society where I"ll be afraid of being a little strict when necessary lest he/she calls the cops on me
I won't want my kid to tell me he/she is gay and I can't do anything about it cus he/she's now 18. & my next door neighbour congratulating him/her for being able to stand for what he/she believes in(God forbid, but if it happens in naija , at least the society won't encourage such, and the child will eventually understand how abominable we find it )
The high level of accessibility to Guns and Drugs aren't it for me etc etc

But on the other hand I'll also want the following for my children
Adequate security
Good health care
Good education
High prospect of maximizing their potentials
Etc etc
So which do I chose ?
Guess wit hard work and a lil bit of luck , I can get a large portion of the yankee advantages in Nigeria
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 6:35pm On Jan 26, 2011
Well, I'm in the Netherlands, but even at that, you complain about the British children getting pregnant, drunk, hooligan etc.
Have you consider the number of Agberos (area boys) in all the 36 states and FCT of Nigeria? If you really want to be realistic, you will still agree with me that the British hooligan are far better cultured and reason better than the average touts we have in Nigeria that can hold a public bus to ransome without anybody being able to do anything. Or is the Nigerian police you want to talk about? Also do you know how many teenage pregnancies are terminated daily in Nigeria because there is no strict regulation of the medical professions?
I think people have so much hopes and expectation about western countries and tend to complain unnecessarily about things they will see in Nigeria and take to be norm. Before you abuse another mans country, try to correct that same problem in your country.
I still like Nigeria because that is where I can make good money in my career compared to europe, but I will give my children a better exposure from the scratch and let them do what they want to do when they are adult.

1 Like

Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by teeboyseve(m): 6:42pm On Jan 26, 2011
I will say Nigeria, because I believe there are lots of good private schools in Nigeria. My Kids will only come to the US or UK for holiday or to study in University. Raising kids in western countries is difficult because they have so many laws that forbid parents to raise their kids the way they want. Its their system and it works for them.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 6:43pm On Jan 26, 2011
cold:

grin This might seem a tard too harsh but it aint far from the truth
stella artois drinkin chavs  grin
2good:

Well, I'm in the Netherlands, but even at that, you complain about the British children getting pregnant, drunk, hooligan etc.
Have you consider the number of Agberos (area boys) in all the 36 states and FCT of Nigeria? If you really want to be realistic, you will still agree with me that the British hooligan are far better cultured and reason better than the average touts we have in Nigeria that can hold a public bus to ransome without anybody being able to do anything. Or is the Nigerian police you want to talk about? Also do you know how many teenage pregnancies are terminated daily in Nigeria because there is no strict regulation of the medical professions?
I think people have so much hopes and expectation about western countries and tend to complain unnecessarily about things they will see in Nigeria and take to be norm. Before you abuse another mans country, try to correct that same problem in your country.
I still like Nigeria because that is where I can make good money in my career compared to europe, but I will give my children a better exposure from the scratch and let them do what they want to do when they are adult.
you know i think you are mistaking an 'economic problem' for a  'behavioral' problem.

in nigeria kids who come from rich or middle class homes are the best behaved kids in the world. they are always so respectful, peaceful and calm, highly intelligent and focused.
all those touts and agberos you mentioned, thats an economic problem. if you have the right amount of money ? nigeria is the best place to raise a kid.  how do i know ? my big sisters kids live in nigeria, they are very nice sweet kids, they go to private schools etc etc. have a wonderful and peaceful life. can they ever achieve that in the west even with tonnes of money ? neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. kids in the west irrespective of their economic status are almost always crazed brats with psychotic issues. lil sociopaths and psycopaths. the rich ones are the most dangerous. there is no escaping crazy kids in the west. they abound in both the rich and poor households. these are the kids your children will be mixing with, and with much luck and prayer from yahweh, your kids will not find themselves at the wrong end of their gun during a spree killing.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by teeboyseve(m): 6:51pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

hahahaha, I live in the UK and have seen teenagers hold a bus because they want free ride. they waste other passengers time because the driver will also refuse to drive until the police arrives. There are loads of touts here too, they are even worse because they still get financial help from their government and they still behave badly just like their counterparts in Nigeria. Also the teenage pregnancy here can never be compared to Nigeria NEVER. its a normal thing here to get pregnant at 15,but in Nigeria its not acceptable.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:03pm On Jan 26, 2011
Have you tried to compare the children of the rich in Nigeria with the children of the rich in Europe/America? You all look at the good side of Nigeria and compare them with the bad side of the west which is wrong. The children of the rich in America are mainly the one's in Yale, Havard, Princeton, Darthmouth, Brown, Duke, Columbia etc. But you dont ever think of that area when making comparison
The tout in Nigeria are suppose to be the version of the holigans that are in Europe/America but we are very fast to dispute the fact that they are in thesame class in their respective society.
From what I can see you are encourage a class system of life which we have in Nigeria as a big problem because people are respected because of their wealth without asking them how they got it. Is that the mentality you want to give your children? Here, every body is thesame, have thesame opportunity and can get to their highest potential if they want to and respect every human being around them simply because they are human.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:07pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

Have you tried to compare the children of the rich in Nigeria with the children of the rich in Europe/America? You all look at the good side of Nigeria and compare them with the bad side of the west which is wrong. The children of the rich in America are mainly the one's in Yale, Havard, Princeton, Darthmouth, Brown, Duke, Columbia etc. But you dont ever think of that area when making comparison
The tout in Nigeria are suppose to be the version of the holigans that are in Europe/America but we are very fast to dispute the fact that they are in thesame class in their respective society.
From what I can see you are encourage a class system of life which we have in Nigeria as a big problem because people are respected because of their wealth without asking them how they got it. Is that the mentality you want to give your children? Here, every body is thesame, have thesame opportunity and can get to their highest potential if they want to and respect every human being around them simply because they are human.
the children of the rich in america are in yale, harvard, princeton not because they are smart. those schools are the benefactors of their parents largess.  those schools have places reserved for generations of certain rich families. those schools do not operate on meritocracy. after-all george bush is a yale graduate and couldn't speak a lick of english to save his life
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:12pm On Jan 26, 2011
Atleast when the police comes around, the hooligans are arrested. But in Nigeria, I think the police is even worst because they are useless and use their guns to extort money and intimidate even tax payers.
I was once beaten by a police man, who saw me wearing my bank ID card and went ahead to molest me. All his colleagues and superiors on same shift with him apologised to me that he's drunk and that I shouldnt go back to him for a justification of his action because he can do me further harm and they wont help me if he starts it all over. I was just wondering why I was paying heavy tax to the government if thesame police man that my tax is used to service will beat me up for no reason
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:14pm On Jan 26, 2011
Do you think yale etc will put those children there if they dont have a high level of academic standard?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by teeboyseve(m): 7:18pm On Jan 26, 2011
We need to understand that those rich people in the US and UK are the politician in power,they are the same people that tell middle-class and poor parents how to raise their kids. And most of this kids turn out to be useless citizens because they don't listen to their parents and there is nothing the parents can do. But the rich kids in US/UK have a better chance to turn out right because they listen to their parents advise about life and education. this same rich kids will later be leaders of the country and even make more laws to make the poor get poorer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Conflict Between Family And Career. / What Or Who Influences Your Critical Decisions? / When She Hits First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.