Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,963 members, 7,828,423 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? (7776 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / How Not To Train Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 9:42pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

If you can't find it, ya don't deserve to be there.  And please, for the love of Mike, don't blow me kisses.  We talked about that. angry

Hello.  How are you?  I hope I'm not on your s#*& list. embarassed  I don't understand the bolded.  Yes, I do agree that children can turn out good or bad regardless of the country they're in.  I like to think the way I would raise mine they'd turn out the way I "planned."  I know, life doesn't work usually work out the way we planned.  smiley
ahhhhhh 'hard to get'  angry
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 9:44pm On Jan 26, 2011
dayokanu:

^^The bolded just stress the fact that most of them have never travelled outside the country before.

How are you dearie?
capo de tutti capi angry
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 9:52pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

Oh, OK. I'm well. I have a hideout; you can come in but don't start anything. smiley

Look in Foreign Affairs.

Is Fstranger there with you?

buzugee:

capo de tutti capi angry
Who sabi you?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 9:58pm On Jan 26, 2011
We've derailed this enough. Will see you there.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 10:22pm On Jan 26, 2011
dayokanu:

Is Fstranger there with you?
  Who sabi you?
is that a nice way to speak to your don ?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by mamagee3(f): 11:04pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

You guys have derailed it big time! sad
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 11:18pm On Jan 26, 2011
^^ Dont mind them.

Mamagee where have you been?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by fstranger1: 12:40am On Jan 27, 2011
dayokanu:

^^The bolded just stress the fact that most of them have never travelled outside the country before.

How are you dearie?

What?
isale_gan2:

Why are we inviting Oga Dk again?

Haramu!
Haramu!!
Haramu!!!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Theblessed(f): 2:19am On Jan 27, 2011
[b][size=16pt]In my view, children could be raised anywhere and be raised well but, it all depends on their parents beliefs and values. If you are a status-hungry type, competitive, over-ambitious, materialistic and envious well, there's a likelihood that ' a snake will always reproduce itself, its own image or what looks like him'. grin

Children who would not take 'no' for an answer and who would want it all and get it all when they want it.  And fo most people, life is survival and how could such children ever survive in scarce, I query?

It's obvious, America is a highly competitive and materialistic society yet, some parents still managed to raise very well behaved and decent children there however, this dilemma most parents face when bringing up children in my view, could be helped by sourcing out a better location and environment for your family, the kind of friends/associates you mingle/interact with, crowned with your own beliefs in God - do you fear God? Do you worship him? And what about the people you associate with and their children too, how are they raised?  Are they spoilt brat, who lack discipline whilst yours get disciplined when they err? So, what values do you teach your children?

These are some of the issues parents have to consider when raising children, even if the location is in an ant hole - it doesn't matter, what matters are your values and the influences you, as parents expose your children to/around them, as they grow up. wink
[/size][/b]
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Freewilly(f): 2:24am On Jan 27, 2011
Excuse my English, you don't train a child. You train a dog, cat, animals not a child, A child you raise not train cry
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by fstranger1: 2:33am On Jan 27, 2011
Freewilly:

Excuse my English, you don't train a child. You train a dog, cat, animals not a child, A child you raise not train cry

Another Igbo eediot!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by SEFAGO(m): 4:58am On Jan 27, 2011
have you ever even been to america ? yale and harvard are places for sale. if you are rich or famous you will get in. the slot allocated to meritocracy is probably like 30 percent of the whole student body. the rest is fame and money. why do you think all these actors after their career go there to buy a spot to do a course ?

You must be smoking pot. So all the famous scientists and geniuses that Havard and Yale churns out from undergrad are what? Yes every top US university has a VIP list but that plus athletes+affirmative action admits and legacy admits are 10% of the student body. Even these people are probably smarter than the average individual

This thread is quite silly like the OP who started it- it depends more on the child
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 27, 2011
//
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by contyler: 7:21am On Jan 27, 2011
It doesn't matter where you will raise the child.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 27, 2011
It depends on where in America you are living plus your parenting skills.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by TeadroTec: 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2011
Teadro Info Tech, best known I.T school in Port Harcourt for its cutting-edge training where more of I.T practicals are emphasized in:
ORACLE, CISCO, MCITP, COMPTIA A+ and N+, MOS , IC3 and much more IS AT IT AGAIN! ! !,

Offering 100 percent scholarship to meritorious students. ABSOLUTELY FREE[/size][size=8pt]
NO gimmick, no registration fee, its totally free!!!
Teadro scholarship scheme is an annual scholarship program to empower the youths through ICT training and also to create opportunities for job placement.

Additional benefits include participants been enlisted on our consultant Database for job placement with any of the following: Telecom, Banks, ISPs, Oil and Gas and so on,

Remember, scholarship is based on merit, so come along with your writing materials for a 45 minutes test at Teadro InfoTech centre, 76 stadium road Port Harcourt or call 08036086061.
This is a rare opportunity where you can get yourself certified and grounded in I.T field at just no cost. Take advantage of this grand opportunity NOW!!!

Venue: 76 Stadium Road Port Harcourt
Date: 12th February 2011
Time: 9:00 am prompt!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by jujube(m): 2:47pm On Jan 27, 2011
When you talk about traiining your child, it could be in terms of education or moral trainng. Well as far as Nigeria is concerned, if a child want to have a future he has to be trained abroad.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Demainman1: 3:51pm On Jan 27, 2011
Freewilly:

Proverbs 22:6
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by NaijaNile: 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2011
Very Interesting Post,

If i was asked to choose where to raise my child between the US and Nigeria, I would definitely choose Nigeria, As the parent of the child I am far more comfortable with the values here in Nigeria and also take comfort that there are more people around here who can also contribute to upbringing of the child.

I am far more comfortable with church here also, therefore I would raise my child here until I am sure he/she has imbibed the values I want instilled in them or are of age, afterwards they can go whereever they want. {Train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up he will not depart from it}.

I cant imagine my son telling me its alright to "perm" his hair, or my daughter telling me its alright to wear micro-mini skirts, or for them to tell me at age 16yrs that its alright for them to stay out till 10p.m, or as someone told me recently to understand if someone says they are gay or lesbian, pray how can i understand that

America? A place where your child calls the police on you if you try to discipline them? NO WAY,
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by chibaby5(f): 9:33pm On Jan 27, 2011
@topic

Good Training for a child is not achieved based on where the child is brought up but how and what foundations the parents lay. Like the saying goes, 'Charity begins at home'.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by deluxs1(m): 10:36pm On Jan 27, 2011
@2good, which kian tax u dey pay for Naija grin
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by manny4life(m): 10:50pm On Jan 27, 2011
Doesn't really matter where u train your kids, as long as u train them with discipline and moral values, that's all that counts. For people who think its only in Nigeria is where they beat kids, think again. Over here, as long as you don't cross that line of abuse, discipline is fine and highly recommended. So parents, train your kids very well regardless of the environment, and with right values and everything falls into place. Its the ground rules the parents lay for the child, is what the child will build upon when he grows.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by foluski: 12:15am On Jan 28, 2011
I would never prefer to raise my children in any place other than in Nigeria.Consider the restrictions placed on how you can correct and reprove a child.I am not saying "corrective exercise" on a child is the best way of disciplining one's ward,but once a child knows that "ain't nothing you gon do',then you have given a him/her a carte blanche for deviant and wayward behaviour. cry cry cry
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Ranoscky(m): 7:51am On Jan 28, 2011
@Buzugee, weldone man, I really enjoyed reading all your posts, and I absolutely agree with you!
(maybe) @2good is one of those peeps that would travel abroad, and after tasting some kind of change that they have never expirienced before in Africa, they'll finally put it in conclusion that, life in abroad is better than life in Nigeria (Africa) in any aspect (which is dead WRONG).

delux$:

@2good, which kian tax u dey pay for Naija grin
Lol. . .Me sef I taya O! grin

NaijaNile:

Very Interesting Post,

If i was asked to choose where to raise my child between the US and Nigeria, I would definitely choose Nigeria, As the parent of the child I am far more comfortable with the values here in Nigeria and also take comfort that there are more people around here who can also contribute to upbringing of the child.

I am far more comfortable with church here also, therefore I would raise my child here until I am sure he/she has imbibed the values I want instilled in them or are of age, afterwards they can go whereever they want. {Train up a child in the way he should go and when he grows up he will not depart from it}.

I cant imagine my son telling me its alright to "perm" his hair, or my daughter telling me its alright to wear micro-mini skirts, or for them to tell me at age 16yrs that its alright for them to stay out till 10p.m, or as someone told me recently to understand if someone says they are gay or lesbian, pray how can i understand that

America? A place where your child calls the police on you if you try to discipline them? NO WAY,
kiss. . .+2

jujube:

When you talk about traiining your child, it could be in terms of education or moral trainng. Well as far as Nigeria is concerned, if a child want to have a future he has to be trained abroad.
Yeah. Exactly! It's only those living abroad that has brighter future. And all those in Nigeria are futureless, right? undecided

Why are there still hundreds of foreigners flocking in Nigerian everyday for brighter future?

Well. . .Last I checked, everybody has right to his or her opinion, so, I guess that's yours, RESPECTED (but, mind you, it's not fact) !!!

Topic - If I even decide to train my children abroad, America won't even be amongst the first 10 countries on my list.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 28, 2011
It is all up to the individual parents themselves. In other words if you are a violent sociopathic control-freak kind of guy then you better raise your child in Nigeria. Otherwise you would get done by the social services.
Somehow though I get the impression that a lot of this talk about raising kids is not so much about inculcating the right moral values but more about trying to bend the child to the parent's will whatever that is.
Maybe that is why the word train was used. You educate and instruct a child and not merely train as you would your pet cat or dog!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 28, 2011
buzugee:

ok first off misbehavior is more prevalent in the west than in nigeria. we have serial rapists, football hooligans, serial killers, touts, and all kinds of crazy crimes that infest every other community in europe. any crime in africa is strictly economic.
You must be having a laugh to come up with such an outrageous comment. cheesy grin cheesy What percentage of the population in the West are serial killers and rapists? Anyway it is the relative rarity of such crimes here in England that dictates they generate so much overblown MEDIA publicity.
Another point is that crime in Nigeria is due to the existence of violent sociopaths and opportunists with no developed sense of right or wrong and not poverty.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by manny4life(m): 3:55pm On Jan 28, 2011
foluski:

I would never prefer to raise my children in any place other than in Nigeria.Consider the restrictions placed on how you can correct and reprove a child.I am not saying "corrective exercise" on a child is the best way of disciplining one's ward,but once a child knows that "ain't nothing you gon do',then you have given a him/her a carte blanche for deviant and wayward behaviour. cry cry cry

I don't know what world you living in, but there many "corrective excercise" a parent can use to train a child. Maybe you are talking about abusing a child where u continiously beating the child, that is called abuse and that type of abuse hasn't proven to be an effective form of discipline.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

I don't know what world you living in, but there many "corrective excercise" a parent can use to train a child. Maybe you are talking about abusing a child where u continiously beating the child, that is called abuse and that type of abuse hasn't proven to be an effective form of discipline.
That is what he is referring to. This kind of mule-headed raising the bar kind of child abuse where there are no upper limits placed on what violent methods they can use to bend a child to their parents will
Maybe it starts from advice to warnings to corporal punishment to spanking to flogging to lacerations with electric cables to stabbing with broken bottles and scalding with boiling water. undecided undecided
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Ranoscky(m): 2:40am On Jan 29, 2011
tensor777:

Maybe it starts from advice to warnings to corporal punishment to spanking to flogging to lacerations with electric cables to stabbing with broken bottles and scalding with boiling water. undecided undecided
WONDERFUL !!!

I guess you'r speakin from expirience!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 5:52am On Jan 29, 2011
//
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Ranoscky(m): 9:19am On Jan 29, 2011
The westerners also punish their children harshly (in one way or the other), I don't know why Nigerian's case is diff.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NFL Player Knocks Out His Fiancee - What Do You Think?(Viewers' Discretion) / Please Help Me Save My Relationship / Who Suppose To Take Custody Of The Child After A Divorce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.