Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? (7781 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / How Not To Train Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Obelomo: 10:04am On Feb 03, 2011
Fstranger somebody posted long time ago about slutty dressing! My bad for saying Unilag! My point is there so Westernized wanabees youths in Naija. Go to Nigeriafilm.com there is a picture so two Naija university gals kissing!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 6:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by fstranger1: 6:13pm On Feb 03, 2011
I love the part where she said Toto is gold
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Jenifa1: 3:32am On Feb 04, 2011
Your kids will most likely turn out alright if you train them in the right environment within the country. whether it be america or nigeria.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Jenifa1: 3:41am On Feb 04, 2011
buzugee:

you know tensor, our nigerian kids in the west are all turning into monsters. tonnes of nigerian youths are killers and homicidal maniacs in britain now. so much for, 'if you want your kid to have a future then dont raise them in nigeria'. some knuckle dragging cretin actually said that in this thread  shocked
like i have lost count of the number of nigerian youths who have murdered people in london. its like a concrete jungle out there chief.

maybe these kids live in the ghetto parts of london? so they're surrounded by bad influences.
many nigerians who can't afford to have a very good life in the UK or US are better off raising their children in naija or sending them to school there. then they can come back to US/UK after they've matured enough. unless they can afford to put their kids in a good environment abroad which is quite expensive. ex good schools, neighborhoods etc
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by JustGood(m): 5:27pm On Mar 02, 2011
A British woman speaks out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12596596

Actress Joanna Lumley has claimed that British children are being brought up with "slack" morals.
The 64-year-old Absolutely Fabulous star said the younger generation needed to be given "hearty pursuits" like building camps or working on farms.

She also bemoaned a lack of respect for education in Britain and said children should be given more responsibilities.

Lumley made the comments in an interview with the Radio Times.

"We are very slack with our moral codes for children these days. Nowadays, children find it laughably amusing to shoplift and steal.

"We smile when they download information from the internet and lazily present it as their own work. We allow them to bunk off school and bring in sick notes," she said.

She also said: "There was one 'crime' during the whole time I was at school, when a fountain pen went missing. Stealing just didn't happen.

"I was taught not to shoplift, not to steal, not to behave badly. We weren't even allowed to drop litter."

She also recalled "quite small children take on huge responsibilities" while making programmes around the world.

She added: "In Ethiopia, you might find a seven-year-old expected to take 15 goats out into the fields for the whole day with only a chapati to eat and his whistle.

"Why are we so afraid to give our children responsibilities like this?

"I think laptops should be banned from schools. Until you can prove you can add up on your fingers or think independently in your head, you have learnt nothing," she added.

Farm work

The actress, who is narrating Enid Blyton tale The Cheat on Radio 4, said: "I think we're leading our children into a false paradise. We're not teaching them how to apply themselves and be present, how to accomplish a job and finish it, how to learn other languages and actually achieve a trade.

"What are we doing with our education policies? Running from one side to the other, with no notion of where we are going."

The actress, who famously took on Gordon Brown's government to allow all Gurkhas the right to settle in the UK, added: "We have taken our foot off the education pedal, and I don't think it makes anyone happy. We don't respect education. Not at all. Not like in Africa or China, where it is hugely respected.

"I would like to see children involved in hearty-sounding pursuits, such as building a camp. Or getting an entire school to go and work in a farm, for a term, all together."
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by omoharry(f): 1:49pm On Apr 25, 2012
tensor777: It is all up to the individual parents themselves. In other words if you are a violent sociopathic control-freak kind of guy then you better raise your child in Nigeria. Otherwise you would get done by the social services.
Somehow though I get the impression that a lot of this talk about raising kids is not so much about inculcating the right moral values but more about trying to bend the child to the parent's will whatever that is.
Maybe that is why the word train was used. You educate and instruct a child and not merely train as you would your pet cat or dog!

is it too difficult for u to read and understand? is n't the treat about instilling moral values on children/ i wonder if u ever passes any exam.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by NaJoke2000: 2:02pm On Apr 26, 2012
@OP, dont mind them jare! ...train ur child here in lagos, oshodi to be precise.
i'm sure d life of ur child wld neva remain d same.

LOL!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by presh001: 10:12am On May 23, 2020
frgy1:
Really , it depends on what you want for your kids and what you can accept from them
For me , I won't want to raise my kids in a society where I"ll be afraid of being a little strict when necessary lest he/she calls the cops on me
I won't want my kid to tell me he/she is gay and I can't do anything about it cus he/she's now 18. & my next door neighbour congratulating him/her for being able to stand for what he/she believes in(God forbid, but if it happens in naija , at least the society won't encourage such, and the child will eventually understand how abominable we find it )
The high level of accessibility to Guns and Drugs aren't it for me etc etc

But on the other hand I'll also want the following for my children
Adequate security
Good health care
Good education
High prospect of maximizing their potentials
Etc etc
So which do I chose ?
Guess wit hard work and a lil bit of luck , I can get a large portion of the yankee advantages in Nigeria

you see that gay part and transgender thing is what I dread the most!!! To me you better die a single than be a gay!!! it's abominable from all angles... May what we fear not come upon us, Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Help Me Save My Relationship / Who Suppose To Take Custody Of The Child After A Divorce? / Can You Marry A Lady That Has Cohabited With Another Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.