Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,100 members, 7,828,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? (7778 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / How Not To Train Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:18pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

Do you think yale etc will put those children there if they dont have a high level of academic standard?
have you ever even been to america ? yale and harvard are places for sale. if you are rich or famous you will get in. the slot allocated to meritocracy is probably like 30 percent of the whole student body. the rest is fame and money.  why do you think all these actors after their career go there to buy a spot to do a course ?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:19pm On Jan 26, 2011
I am not an anti Nigerian, but I think we have to face some reality before we can move forward as a country. Both Nigeria and the West have their pros and cons but I think we have to identify these differences and accept that the cons are worse in Nigeria than in the west before we can solve our problem. But everybody is just being defensive of a system that doesnt allow equal opportunity to everybody and success have alot to do with where you are from and who you know.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:20pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

Atleast when the police comes around, the hooligans are arrested. But in Nigeria, I think the police is even worst because they are useless and use their guns to extort money and intimidate even tax payers.
I was once beaten by a police man, who saw me wearing my bank ID card and went ahead to molest me. All his colleagues and superiors on same shift with him apologised to me that he's drunk and that I shouldnt go back to him for a justification of his action because he can do me further harm and they wont help me if he starts it all over. I was just wondering why I was paying heavy tax to the government if thesame police man that my tax is used to service will beat me up for no reason
again this is an economic issue. if you have the money you will not experience most of these things in nigeria. the police in america and britain kill minorities all the time too. dont know what your gripe is. there was a police in america who killed a woman so he could steal her $7000. other policemen have killed after despoiling kids so that the kids will not identify them. its a bad world chief. nigeria does not own the patent on diabolical behavior.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by lexzybaba(m): 7:22pm On Jan 26, 2011
@frgy, u so so so so funny

well whatever, am sure not raising my kids in nigeria, i even prefer abijan
grin grin grin
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:24pm On Jan 26, 2011
We have had thesame people rulling us in Nigeria since the 1950's and their children are taking over from them. Have you solve that problem in your country before you start castigating a similar practice in another country. I have been hearing the name Riliwan Lukman, Adamu Ciroma, Obasanjo, Buhari, etc since I was a baby and they are still the once contesting for political positions. Dont you think its wrong to leave a problem in your house and condem thesame problem in another mans house?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by teeboyseve(m): 7:25pm On Jan 26, 2011
Touts get arrested in the Uk and get released same day, with no charges wat so ever, As long as they don't harm anyone. Police kill ordinary citizens here too ,but not as much as in African countries. If you are financially stable you will not have problem in Nigeria. The best thing about this western countries is their health care. Well maybe the UK only cos i noticed that health care is expensive in the US.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:28pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

We have had thesame people rulling us in Nigeria since the 1950's and their children are taking over from them. Have you solve that problem in your country before you start castigating a similar practice in another country. I have been hearing the name Riliwan Lukman, Adamu Ciroma, Obasanjo, Buhari, etc since I was a baby and they are still the once contesting for political positions. Dont you think its wrong to leave a problem in your house and condem thesame problem in another mans house?
look, there is no problem in nigeria. the problem is in your mind. your mind is weak. nigeria is a place where people who are willing to be their own govts survive. this is why millions of europeans, arabs and chinese are running into nigeria everyday. you do not pay any taxes whatsoever, so the govt is basically just a foreign entity. use your own money to better your life. the govt has no interference whatsoever in the peoples lives. its a beautiful place to live but you cant be lazy like you. people like you expect people to spoonfeed you which is why you will always be a whiner and never a doer. i have been to your netherlands and quite frankly the place is a congested dump (or maybe this is just amsterdam)
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by teeboyseve(m): 7:29pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

But its almost the same here too, Only people from rich background rules in the UK. Most of them are from Oxford and Cambridge University. Its not a family affair but its about what group they belong to.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:31pm On Jan 26, 2011
teeboyseve:

But its almost the same here too, Only people from rich background rules in the UK. Most of them are from Oxford and Cambridge University. Its not a family affair but its about what group they belong to.
dat nuccaz is trippin. i think he has had one too many weed in amsterdam where he lives
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:31pm On Jan 26, 2011
Ecomic problem is not an excuse for misbehaviour because it means we have to solve the economic problem before pulling down other countries. You dont have power, good road, transport system, good education, good water system, security etc and you all think life is good for you.
@ Buzugee,
For your information I am an engineer in the oil and gas industry and know what I earn before coming here for my masters so I am way above that average Nigerian class you are talking about. But why do you need to have the best jobs to be able to get the basic amenities needed to live a good life? That is the mentality most Nigerians have. The national wealth belong to everybody so the government should distribute it round in terms of basic facilities, rather than stealing the money and stacking it in some foreign account.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 26, 2011
No place is the "right" place to treat a child. No matter where you go, there will be children who WILL influence your child one way or another.
Even in a covenant school, ish still happens (not by experience oh).

What really matters is the home your child came from. If you discipline your child before she walks out of your house, she'll never forget her way home. Discipline methods? There's not a consistent method, every child is different. As a parent, you figure out which method works.
But caining and cable-wiring will do. . . . NO SPARING THE ROD or CABLE WIRE. Infact, I need to remember to buy a few bircks on my way home today, my child will be lifting those brick(s), on top of his head,  for an hour or more. Simple punishment.  cool
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by 2good(m): 7:39pm On Jan 26, 2011
All of you that think the west is so bad, why dont you all return to Nigeria since it is the best place to be.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:42pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

Ecomic problem is not an excuse for misbehaviour because it means we have to solve the economic problem before pulling down other countries. You dont have power, good road, transport system, good education, good water system, security etc and you all think life is good for you.
@ Buzugee,
For your information I am an engineer in the oil and gas industry and know what I earn before coming here for my masters so I am way above that average Nigerian class you are talking about. But why do you need to have the best jobs to be able to get the basic amenities needed to live a good life? That is the mentality most Nigerians have. The national wealth belong to everybody so the government should distribute it round in terms of basic facilities, rather than stealing the money and stacking it in some foreign account.
ok first off misbehavior is more prevalent in the west than in nigeria. we have serial rapists, football hooligans, serial killers, touts, and all kinds of crazy crimes that infest every other community in europe. any crime in africa is strictly economic.

secondly, good education, water, transport etc can be had but you have to buy it yourself. use the money you would have used for road tax, water tax, exorbitant school fees etc like you do in the west, use that money to buy it yourself. or do you just love giving the govt the money to do it for you ?

you dont need to have the best jobs to afford basic amenities in nigeria. food, clothing and shelter can be had with most jobs. so quit fibbing

and lastly the national wealth as you put it is not as much as you think it is. for a govt that does not ccollect tax from the people, the govt is doing a whole lot of good. did you see those pictures someone posted of the military planes, ammunitions etc we have in nigeria ? who do you think paid for that ? who pays all the army and policemen ? all this when you guys hardly pay any tax ? ok so a few people chop some money but it is negligible compared to the good that the money is used for.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by Freesia(f): 7:45pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

have you ever even been to america ? yale and harvard are places for sale. if you are rich or famous you will get in. the slot allocated to meritocracy is probably like 30 percent of the whole student body. the rest is fame and money.  why do you think all these actors after their career go there to buy a spot to do a course ?

I absolutely agree with you there Money does indeed buy a lot. These wealthy folk have been giving funds to these Ivy league Universities so that when their offspring become of age there shall never be a question as to where they shall go to school.
Bringing up the children always depends on the parents there are thousands of stories we hear everyday of people who have grown up to become good abiding citizens after growing up in extreme poverty as well as being exposed to crime
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:49pm On Jan 26, 2011
Freesia:

I absolutely agree with you there Money does indeed buy a lot. These wealthy folk have been giving funds to these Ivy league Universities so that when their offspring become of age there shall never be a question as to where they shall go to school.
Bringing up the children always depends on the parents there are thousands of stories we hear everyday of people who have grown up to become good abiding citizens after growing up in extreme poverty as well as being exposed to crime
exactly. dude thinks ivy league schools are for brainiacs grin *i laugh in swahili*
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:54pm On Jan 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No place is the "right" place to treat a child. No matter where you go, there will be children who WILL influence your child one way or another.
Even in a covenant school, ish still happens (not by experience oh).

What really matters is the home your child came from. If you discipline your child before she walks out of your house, she'll never forget her way home. Discipline methods? There's not a consistent method, every child is different. As a parent, you figure out which method works.
But caining and cable-wiring will do. . . . NO SPARING THE ROD or CABLE WIRE. Infact, I need to remember to buy a few bircks on my way home today, my child will be lifting those brick(s), on top of his head,  for an hour or more. Simple punishment.  cool
grin grin grin i hope for your own sake you live in naija
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 7:56pm On Jan 26, 2011
2good:

All of you that think the west is so bad, why dont you all return to Nigeria since it is the best place to be.

ok first off you assume we are not already in nigeria. angry
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

But caining and cable-wiring will do. . . . NO SPARING THE ROD or CABLE WIRE. Infact, I need to remember to buy a few bircks on my way home today, my child will be lifting those brick(s), on top of his head,  for an hour or more. Simple punishment.  cool

Wow!  Ehen, 1 hour ke?  Se mo le bebe?  Can I beg for his pardon?  Mean ol' witch!
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:02pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

Wow!  Ehen, 1 hour ke?  Se mo le bebe?  Can I beg for his pardon?  Mean ol' witch!
grin grin that she is. then when her child ends up being a dwarf from carrying that big ol cement block every day for 1 hour on his head, she will say someone has done juju for her son. not knowing the heavy cement stunted his growth cheesy
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

grin grin that she is. then when her child ends up being a dwarf from carrying that big ol cement block every day for 1 hour on his head, she will say someone has done juju for her son. not knowing the heavy cement stunted his growth cheesy

hahahaha.  I was just kidding anyway.  I forgot the smilie  wink.  You certainly have to severely discipline some kids.  For example, a few more caning and knocks on the head would have set you on the straight and narrow, Badagry.  Alas, it too late now.  We just have to pray the judge will be merciful when you get caught.

Ileke, I'm thinking you were telling the truth all along.  You know about what.

About corporal discipline, I'm not opposed to it.

I would prefer to raise my kids in Nigeria, but we can't always get what we want.  I'm sure there's a way to raise your kids with the values you cherish - no matter where you are.  That's my 2cents on the thread topic. smiley
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:14pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

hahahaha.  I was just kidding anyway.  I forgot the smilie  wink.  You certainly have to severely discipline some kids.  For example, a few more caning and knocks on the head would have set you on the straight and narrow, Badagry.  Alas, it too late now.  We just have to pray the judge will be merciful when you get caught.

Ileke, I'm thinking you were telling the truth all along.  You know about what.

About corporal discipline, I'm not opposed to it.

I would prefer to raise my kids in Nigeria, but we can't always get what we want.  I'm sure there's a way to raise your kids with the values you cherish - no matter where you are.  That's my 2cents on the thread topic. smiley
grin grin grin i shall have you know that i was whipped almost everyday so hard with koboko and lanyard, i thought my name was kunta kinte.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:16pm On Jan 26, 2011
matter fact if kunta kinte had seen the way i was whipped, he would have thanked his massa for being such a nice and loving man to him. thats how much i was whipped.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:17pm On Jan 26, 2011
i was whipped so hard, a zebra thought i was his kinfolk when he saw all the stripes on my body.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 8:19pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

grin grin grin i shall have you know that i was whipped almost everyday so hard with koboko and lanyard, i thought my name was kunta kinte.

LOL.  Kunta Kinte was a good man.  hahahahaha.  You're not fit to bear his name.  Even if he was imaginary.  smiley

They say when you beat the kids too much they become desensitised to it.  Pay attention, Mrs. Ileke.  Would you want your boy to turn out like Badagry?  cry  

::Kneels in prayer begging Allah to ensure none of her twin boys turn out like the wild man::
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

matter fact if kunta kinte had seen the way i was whipped, he would have thanked his massa for being such a nice and loving man to him. thats how much i was whipped.

buzugee:

i was whipped so hard, a zebra thought i was his kinfolk when he saw all the stripes on my body.

Bwahahahaha. I'm laughing so hard I'm drawing attention to myself. Free me! cheesy
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

LOL.  Kunta Kinte was a good man.  hahahahaha.  You're not fit to bear his name.  Even if he was imaginary.  smiley

They say when you beat the kids too much they become desensitised to it.  Pay attention, Mrs. Ileke.  Would you want your boy to turn out like Badagry?  cry  

::Kneels in prayer begging Allah to ensure none of her twin boys turn out like the wild man::
grin grin badagry ko ketu ni
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 8:25pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

grin grin badagry ko ketu ni

Whatever. My work is done here. I have my own thread where all the fun happens. You're banished though. Ileke knows where. Kiss my buttons, Badagry!!! I'm off. grin
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by buzugee(m): 8:43pm On Jan 26, 2011
isale_gan2:

Whatever. My work is done here. I have my own thread where all the fun happens. You're banished though. Ileke knows where. Kiss my buttons, Badagry!!! I'm off. grin
let me in now. it aint no fun if the homies cant get none. snoop dogg grin where the fun at ? kiss
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 8:47pm On Jan 26, 2011
A child can be good anywhere and a child can be bad anywhere.

Nigerian school children who join CONFRA while in school, most of them never saw airport once in their lives.
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 9:28pm On Jan 26, 2011
buzugee:

let me in now. it aint no fun if the homies cant get none. snoop dogg grin where the fun at ? kiss

If you can't find it, ya don't deserve to be there.  And please, for the love of Mike, don't blow me kisses.  We talked about that. angry

dayokanu:

A child can be good anywhere and a child can be bad anywhere.

Nigerian school children who join CONFRA while in school, most of them never saw airport once in their lives.

Hello. How are you?  I hope I'm not on your s#*& list. embarassed  I don't understand the bolded.  Yes, I do agree that children can turn out good or bad regardless of the country they're in.  I like to think the way I would raise mine they'd turn out the way I "planned."  I know, life doesn't work usually work out the way we planned.  smiley
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by dayokanu(m): 9:31pm On Jan 26, 2011
^^The bolded just stress the fact that most of them have never travelled outside the country before.

How are you dearie?
Re: Is America The Right Place To Train A Child? by isalegan2: 9:41pm On Jan 26, 2011
dayokanu:

^^The bolded just stress the fact that most of them have never travelled outside the country before.

How are you dearie?

Oh, OK.  I'm well. I have a hideout; you can come in but don't start anything. smiley

Look in Foreign Affairs. 

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NFL Player Knocks Out His Fiancee - What Do You Think?(Viewers' Discretion) / Please Help Me Save My Relationship / Who Suppose To Take Custody Of The Child After A Divorce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.