Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,487 members, 7,836,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 (6894 Views)

What Sky News Reported And How Vanguardngr Delivered The News to Nigerians / Trash That National Water Resources Bill 2020 - Guardian News / General Gowon Sitting And Eating On The Floor In Benin In 1967 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Frankdaz9: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2020
From the Guardian archive, Nigeria's coming civil war
In 1967 Biafra was declared a separate state from Nigeria. Here is how the Guardian reported the news.

Having broken apart, Nigeria is now preparing for civil war. Major-General Gowon, who was promoted from Colonel yesterday, is apparently ready to follow up his blockade of the breakaway east - now called Biafra - with a full-scale invasion. In this he presumably expects the support of Nigeria's partners in the Commonwealth and her fellow members of the UN and the OAU - at least the tacit support of respecting the blockade and not recognising Biafra.
Advertisement

It will be a futile war. It is unlikely to unseat the embattled government of Colonel Ojukwu, and even if it does, it will not achieve the declared aim of restoring a workable federation. For most of the Ibo, who predominate in the east, last year's massacres in the north - and their implied end to the free movement of Nigerians within their country - meant the effective end of the federation. To follow this up by an invasion would merely be to drive a nail in the coffin. Biafia's non-Ibo minority is admittedly divided: some supporting Ojukwu's regime and others opposing it. Also, the presence of more than a million refugees - and the possibility of another million now arriving - has stored up a host of social and perhaps political problems for the self-proclaimed republic. But while the threat from Lagos lasts, support for Ojukwu will remain overwhelming. Invasion can only reinforce it further.

In reality it would not be a federal war as much as a northern one. The Yoruba of the western region are divided. Chief Awolowo, hitherto their most popular leader, has said - and apparently confirmed it after Biafra's secession - that the west would not wish to remain in a truncated federation. This section of the Yoruba, at any rate, would hardly support an invasion of Biafra. Similar reservations have been openly expressed in the midwest region.

In so far as it would be a northerners' war, one of its main objects would be revenge against the easterners for having dared to challenge federal, which is primarily northern, authority. One party in the north, at any rate, appears to want to teach the Ibo a lesson without any corresponding desire to keep them as federal partners. But the easterners are not the first to contemplate secession. The north openly threatened it in 1960 unless it was guaranteed half the seats in the federal parliament. It threatened it again last year unless General Ironsi repealed his "unitary decree". It proposed it once more in July and indeed, secession appeared to be Colonel Gowon's original intention when he assumed office. Now it is the easterners who have departed.

A deeper northern motive would be to secure the landlocked region's outlet to the sea. One of the two routes, through the east, is already blocked and the other, through the west, would be threatened if the west were to break away also. But could it be kept open in a federation maintained by force? The violent disorders in the west in 1965, in protest against the northern-backed regime of Chief Akintola, suggest that it could not. If Nigeria does break up, nothing could ensure the evacuation of northern produce more effectively than a Common Services organisation. This is perhaps the best solution to the Nigerian crisis. It is the kind of arrangement the north itself proposed in July last year - and the east has been proposing since then. Now, no region would benefit more from it than the north. By insisting on war the northerners would risk destroying their own vital interests.

Inevitably, outsiders have been drawn, into the conflict. The big shipping and trading companies, who have larger interests in the north and the west than in the east, are observing the blockade. The oil companies, whose exports all originate in the east, are in a different position and may be anxious for Biafra to be recognised. Britain could hardly do this until Colonel Ojukwu's breakaway regime has proved itself firmly in control. But we should immediately make it clear to General Gowon that our only interest is in a stable solution and that war will bring this no nearer.
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2020
Biafra failed the moment Igbo tried to extend their territory to SS and SW.

I know they will argue with me, I know some of them don't understand history.

But I have said my own.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Frankdaz9: 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

But I have said my own.
who said Biafra failed? Yoruba Muslims!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by GMBuhari: 12:35pm On Jul 06, 2020
Give us the name of the then Editor of guardian and a screenshot, this could have been fabricated

and if it isn't fabricated , this is propaganda

how did it end ';?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by realstars: 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2020
LIU
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by BlowYourMind: 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2020
The destruction of biafra came because Ojukwu "overdo", he should have remain in the Eastern region not him advancing towards the Midwest, that was his undoing, he was myopic and mentally unstable to think Gowon will allow such, Ojukwu want to take over Lagos for obvious reasons, greed. he waste 3 million people for his own selfish interest, he cut food supply to the Eastern region, leaving people to die of hunger

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by EngineerBode: 12:43pm On Jul 06, 2020
The civil war was a mistake. The separation should have happened

12 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by tutudesz: 12:44pm On Jul 06, 2020
Frankdaz9:
In 1967 Biafra was declared a separate state from Nigeria. Here is how the Guardian reported the news.

Having broken apart, Nigeria is now preparing for civil war. Major-General Gowon, who was promoted from Colonel yesterday, is apparently ready to follow up his blockade of the breakaway east - now called Biafra - with a full-scale invasion. In this he presumably expects the support of Nigeria's partners in the Commonwealth and her fellow members of the UN and the OAU - at least the tacit support of respecting the blockade and not recognising Biafra.
Advertisement

It will be a futile war. It is unlikely to unseat the embattled government of Colonel Ojukwu, and even if it does, it will not achieve the declared aim of restoring a workable federation. For most of the Ibo, who predominate in the east, last year's massacres in the north - and their implied end to the free movement of Nigerians within their country - meant the effective end of the federation. To follow this up by an invasion would merely be to drive a nail in the coffin. Biafia's non-Ibo minority is admittedly divided: some supporting Ojukwu's regime and others opposing it. Also, the presence of more than a million refugees - and the possibility of another million now arriving - has stored up a host of social and perhaps political problems for the self-proclaimed republic. But while the threat from Lagos lasts, support for Ojukwu will remain overwhelming. Invasion can only reinforce it further.

In reality it would not be a federal war as much as a northern one. The Yoruba of the western region are divided. Chief Awolowo, hitherto their most popular leader, has said - and apparently confirmed it after Biafra's secession - that the west would not wish to remain in a truncated federation. This section of the Yoruba, at any rate, would hardly support an invasion of Biafra. Similar reservations have been openly expressed in the midwest region.

In so far as it would be a northerners' war, one of its main objects would be revenge against the easterners for having dared to challenge federal, which is primarily northern, authority. One party in the north, at any rate, appears to want to teach the Ibo a lesson without any corresponding desire to keep them as federal partners. But the easterners are not the first to contemplate secession. The north openly threatened it in 1960 unless it was guaranteed half the seats in the federal parliament. It threatened it again last year unless General Ironsi repealed his "unitary decree". It proposed it once more in July and indeed, secession appeared to be Colonel Gowon's original intention when he assumed office. Now it is the easterners who have departed.

A deeper northern motive would be to secure the landlocked region's outlet to the sea. One of the two routes, through the east, is already blocked and the other, through the west, would be threatened if the west were to break away also. But could it be kept open in a federation maintained by force? The violent disorders in the west in 1965, in protest against the northern-backed regime of Chief Akintola, suggest that it could not. If Nigeria does break up, nothing could ensure the evacuation of northern produce more effectively than a Common Services organisation. This is perhaps the best solution to the Nigerian crisis. It is the kind of arrangement the north itself proposed in July last year - and the east has been proposing since then. Now, no region would benefit more from it than the north. By insisting on war the northerners would risk destroying their own vital interests.

Inevitably, outsiders have been drawn, into the conflict. The big shipping and trading companies, who have larger interests in the north and the west than in the east, are observing the blockade. The oil companies, whose exports all originate in the east, are in a different position and may be anxious for Biafra to be recognised. Britain could hardly do this until Colonel Ojukwu's breakaway regime has proved itself firmly in control. But we should immediately make it clear to General Gowon that our only interest is in a stable solution and that war will bring this no nearer.
Guy The Guardian newspaper was founded in 1983 undecided So please how is possible they reported a news that happen 1967?

16 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by overall90: 12:46pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

But I have said my own.

stop talking rubbish.
Nigeria of 1967 is not the same as Nigeria of 2020.
in your warped thinking,Biafra of 1967 is just the 5 south eastern states of today.smh

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2020
overall90:

stop talking rubbish.
in your warped thinking,Biafra of 1967 is just the 5 south eastern states of today.smh

Uyo and PH is part of the 5 SE states today nau
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 06, 2020
Frankdaz9:
who said Biafra failed? Yoruba Muslims!

You will live and die a Nigerian.

Argue with your keyboard

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Tranquillity360: 12:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
Yorubas and their propaganda.

Which Guardian News Reported this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Racoon(m): 12:57pm On Jul 06, 2020
It will be a futile war. It is unlikely to unseat the embattled government of Colonel Ojukwu, and even if it does, it will not achieve the declared aim of restoring a workable federation.
As it was in 1967 and so it's now.The contraption called Nigeria has simply refused to work.

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by seunmsg(m): 1:02pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

You will live and die a Nigerian.

Argue with your keyboard

grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Uchek(m): 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2020
You are very ignorant - even in this internet age when all issues can be researched and investigated

EastGold:

But I have said my own.

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Ogonimilitant(m): 3:30pm On Jul 06, 2020
God bless Mazi Nnamdi Kanu

7 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Osaze007: 3:30pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

But I have said my own.

Well said
The day Ojukwu eyed Midwest and Lagos and Ibadan was the day the Biafra dream was over

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 06, 2020
Osaze007:

Well said
The day Ojukwu eyed Midwest and Lagos and Ibadan was the day the Biafra dream was over

They even took their madness to Ọrẹ.

But some of these IPOB guys do not understand this history

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Deebwebb: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2020
See what awolowo clearly said,"if the Igbo's leave we will leave too". To show you that Yoruba's can't stay in Nigeria without us,no wonder awolowo betrayed us.imagine a Nigeria without the Igbo's..chai I can't wait to leave this cursed nation.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by wirinet(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2020
overall90:

stop talking rubbish.
In your thinking, Biafra of 1967 included the former Mid West and Ore?

Biafra failed the day they invaded other regions. It changed their aims from secession to conquest and colonisation.

In addition
It's the same reason Biafra failed today. The Biafrans can't get their eyes off the old mid west. they are even eying Benue join.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by kingzizzy: 4:09pm On Jul 06, 2020
The Biafran war was always about those who were fighting to be free of Northern domination and those who were fighting to eternal slaves of the North

Unfortunately for Biafra, the eternal slaves were far more in number

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by ruggedtimi(m): 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2020
Hmm
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by SaintBeehot(m): 5:20pm On Jul 06, 2020
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Osaze007: 6:22pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

They even took their madness to Ọrẹ.

But some of these IPOB guys do not understand this history

They know
They are also not apologetic about it
Hence Yorubas are not apologetic about their response

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Muna4real(f): 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2020
BlowYourMind:
The destruction of biafra came because Ojukwu "overdo", he should have remain in the Eastern region not him advancing towards the Midwest, that was his undoing, he was myopic and mentally unstable to think Gowon will allow such, Ojukwu want to take over Lagos for obvious reasons, greed. he waste 3 million people for his own selfish interest, he cut food supply to the Eastern region, leaving people to die of hunger

Please stop bursting big fat lies here. Ojukwu was in charge of the eastern region and he fought for them. He never extended anywhere close to midbelt or south west.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Liposure: 8:07pm On Jul 06, 2020
Muna4real:

Please stop bursting big fat lies here. Ojukwu was in charge of the eastern region and he fought for them. He never extended anywhere close to midbelt or south west.
biafran soldiers captured ore. Go and read it

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by overall90: 8:09pm On Jul 06, 2020
wirinet:

Biafra failed the day they invaded other regions. It changed their aims from secession to conquest and colonisation.

In addition
It's the same reason Biafra failed today. The Biafrans can't get their eyes off the old mid west. they are even eying Benue join.

you are very free to wallow in your ignorance.
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by OdumegwuOjukwu: 8:11pm On Jul 06, 2020
Frankdaz9:

Advertisement

Thanks man.
Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 06, 2020
EastGold:

But I have said my own.
Shut up ..igbos tried to rescue yorubas from fulanis who killed your leader and taken over your region to give u independent
Like we did to mid West

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 06, 2020
tutudesz:

Guy The Guardian newspaper was founded in 1983 undecided So please how is possible they reported a news that happen 1967?
Don't disgrace yourself pls
Guardian is a UK newspaper ...

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by overall90: 8:14pm On Jul 06, 2020
Liposure:
biafran soldiers captured ore. Go and read it

Biafran soldiers never captured Ore.
the incursion into the the west was led by a Yoruuba man victor banjo and the aim is to free the west of northern troops.

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA: Please Read What Guardian News Reported In 1967 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2020
wirinet:

In addition
Oga biafra gave mid West independent right ?
The plan was to free the west from Fulani and hand it over to the yorubas

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Father,tony Elumelu Gave My Mother Abortion Pill To Kill Me-susan Pwajok (VID / Ogbeni Aregbesola Commission Sabo Elementary School / Why Extreme Capitalism Is Not Suitable For Nigeria - Please Vote!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.