Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,838 members, 7,813,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63925 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 1:08am On Jun 28, 2007
anyone putting tribal marks on a young child should fined heavily and thrown in jail.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Rlst84sale(m): 1:09am On Jun 28, 2007
That's nothing but child abuse any parent doing that now should be jailed. Nothing short of it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:09am On Jun 28, 2007
lol debo, berra shut up. You know most of these people are quite daft when it comes to sarcasm

where be your own ila?  tongue
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 1:15am On Jun 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

lol debo, berra shut up. You know most of these people are quite daft when it comes to sarcasm

where be your own ila?  tongue

thief, point out the sarcasm in this statement by debosky:

No I am not kidding, I believe it will enhance the beauty and allure of my children

I can't wait till they are old enough to ask them, the same way I wont ask them if they want to be immunised or sent to school, or what names they would like to be called. I will do what I believe is in the best interest of my kids and that is to give them a long lasting cultural connection that will stay with them forever.

If my parents gave them to me and my sisters and we turned out ok, why should I deny my beautiful kids the same opportunity? that would be blatantly unfair.

once again I say YES to tribal marks, I wear mine proudly, so will my children.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:16am On Jun 28, 2007
so when someone says they arent kidding, that automatically means they are being totally serious?

News to me.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 1:18am On Jun 28, 2007
I am going to lobby all the SW states houses of assembly making tribal marks compulsory for all indigenes from there, specially designed marks representing each state/LG must be designed and marked on the young one's faces. This will be my quota to reviving a lost art and generating employment for the masses.

After that, I'm going to ask Yar'Adua to do the same cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 1:22am On Jun 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

so when someone says they arent kidding, that automatically means they are being totally serious?

News to me.

the psychic mindreaders havent shown up yet.  So people are daft if they dont get his sarcasm? The jail comment was sarcasm too- did you get it?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:25am On Jun 28, 2007
Can you stop crying? You're getting my shoes wet.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 1:32am On Jun 28, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Can you stop crying? You're getting my shoes wet.

and so the thread derailment begins, due to inability to answer a simple question.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 28, 2007
LOL @ Comparing tribal marks with circumcision, if you like tribal marks so much, go get one, put your face where your mouth is, NONSENSE!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 1:58am On Jun 28, 2007
sharrap Donzie, I have already gotten mine, tow nicely shaped curves on each cheek, my kids are next in the firing sorry marking line wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:06am On Jun 28, 2007
Then I have no problem with you saying there's nothing wrong with putting those marks on kids! grin. . .All these people with unmarked faces telling us how wonderful it is to have your face marked all over all in because of ethnic sentiments, comical at best!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:17am On Jun 28, 2007
because I can tell from how he posts and the fact that he's a friend. Is that enough for you tpia? Now buzz off. alafishe
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:24am On Jun 28, 2007
@Laudate

The link you posted has vindicated me, it has also called on you, TerraCotta and the rest to admit you were wrong. There was no naming ceremony mentioned in that article, the article clearly described the process most Igbos go in naming their kids. They name them after the experiences pre-during-post pregnancy, there is no OFFICIAL ceremony where people gather just to name a kid.

Now Thiefofhearts, Laudate and TerraCotta, where is the apology to Donzman, Babyosisi and the other people who have been banging it into your heads that we do not have naming ceremonies?

P.S.: After reading that article, we still have people who think Ikwerres who name their communities in the same exact pattern, Umu-this, Umu-that are not Igbos, people need to be more honest with themselves!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by nguage(m): 2:35am On Jun 28, 2007
I wont give 'em to my children, I will let them decide if they want it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:51am On Jun 28, 2007
You should apologize for dropping the IQ of the thread.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:23am On Jun 28, 2007
So nobody wants to apologize now, that horse you were all riding on doesn't seem so high anymore. The only mention of naming ceremony came in this light:

In the city, "the naming ceremony" would be the one big celebration substituting for several activities performed locally, on the kingroup-level.

This means that in the villages, naming ceremonies do not EXIST!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 4:12am On Jun 28, 2007
can i officially declare this thread closed? grin
the arguments have gone way off course and have igbos in the blue corner and yorubas in the red corner now. shocked
[s]and how did circumcision enter this thread biko? [/s]
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ZuluNation(m): 4:29am On Jun 28, 2007
So this Igbo Yoruba comparisons is still going on  shocked shocked na wa for una oh. very interesting thread though
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by nguage(m): 4:48am On Jun 28, 2007
The thread should be renamed IGBO IS BETTER THAN YORUBA.
Thats where this argument is heading.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 4:50am On Jun 28, 2007
spoilt:

the arguments have gone way off course and have igbos in the blue corner and yorubas in the red corner now. shocked

That's the way most discussions seem to end up on Nairaland. It's a typical example of why I don't post regularly.

Donzman:

So nobody wants to apologize now, that horse you were all riding on doesn't seem so high anymore. The only mention of naming ceremony came in this light:

This means that in the villages, naming ceremonies do not EXIST!

LOL--your interpretation of that sentence, which clearly mentioned naming ceremonies, is . . . interesting. I'm sure Laudate will have a suitable answer for you. Do me a small favor though. Please make another bet that there is no such thing as an Igbo naming ceremony. You've lost one bet and haven't had the decency to admit it, so why don't you give yourself a chance to earn a little self-respect back? grin

Please don't forget to specify whether you're paying your previous (and future) losing bets with paypal or cash. cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Forfavour(m): 6:29am On Jun 28, 2007
the cultural idea is fading away quick. it's a mean of identification & tracing people community (town) in those days of ravaging communal wars.

I think there should be law to abolish such cruel practices in dis generation of ours. It's not funny at all bc many promising children that could not withstand humiliation, abuse & painful jokes of their contemporary withdrew from school & have their destinies shaped otherwise.

ABOLISH IT NOW
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by nguage(m): 6:35am On Jun 28, 2007
phsstt. IGNORANCE
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by labonjo(m): 9:20am On Jun 28, 2007
lots of decisions we make in this life are always under scrutiny from other peeps.the whole world does not live in isolation cry,nigeria is no different,as we have our own idiosicrasies,so does other culture too, i dont see anyone critising britains or america's culture, pls respect ours, it all we've got
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Bamz(m): 10:00am On Jun 28, 2007
Wow Nigerians are fast losing their culture.82% for those who wont give the marks,includin me tho.lol.Its not child abuse!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by romeo(m): 11:31am On Jun 28, 2007
should be abolished totally
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by kenflipper(m): 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2007
Its simply the devils slap on their faces undecided, does OBJ have any, he sincerely deserves ONE.

[s] [/s]
the road is long and DANGEROUS
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by paaj: 1:11pm On Jun 28, 2007
Ogidi boy wetin you call ursef

all those tattoos u guys do in texas there is not scary to you na wetin emanate from ur father land u dey critizise

am not ehlping them out but i believe as time goes on things will change so stop ur castigations
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by lilvonz(m): 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2007
this man's tribal mark is still cool.

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2007
I realised that when I bash those ugly tribal marks,those who claim to hate it but hate me for calling them deep,groovy, evil marks do so because  they,their parents,grandparents and siblings and various relatives are perhaps walking around looking that way and comparing them to circumcision  seem to "lighten" the whole thing,good therapy perhaps. grin
It is not your fault,blame it on a culture,don't take it out on babyosisi grin grin

Thank God it has been banned.Someone had enough sense to see them as barbaric.
All you in support of them listen to this advise from donzie.
All we are saying,don't give those unsightly marks to kids.
This is now the law grin

LOL @ Comparing tribal marks with circumcision, if you like tribal marks so much, go get one, put your face where your mouth is, NONSENSE!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 28, 2007
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks
« #181 on: Yesterday at 09:31:55 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from Babyosisi

I don't know where you live,truth is that most tattoos can be covered by clothing,most are small and are not the first thing you see when you see the individual.

from n_guage

My mom has one that is barely visible, she got it herself when she was sixteen

Quote from Babyosisi

If they are barely visible, why did she get them? @ n-guage
for what purpose?
It's like getting a barely visible tattoo, why bother when it can barely be seen?

face wrote
You know when someone argues for argument’s sake by the way the person contradicts his/her self in order to make cheap points.

How is it possible for you to turn around and disagree with your own line of argument just so that you can disagree with someone else with opposing views? Is it inconsistency or just argumentative nature on display? It is almost like arguing with ones self. Some may call that flip flopping.

Someone with an inherent bias would refuse to listen to logic in order to propagate that bias but hey, Face is not about to embark on a mission to reform the incorrigible.

Face or  whatever you call yourself,what is the contradiction in stating that it's useless to get tribal marks that can barely be seen?,what is the purpose?
n guage claimed his mother had faded tribal marks she got at age 16 that are barely seen and she got them because she liked tribal marks

Most tattoos can be covered up with clothing and can be clearly seen when the individual is unclothed,or wearing a bikini ,tank tops,or showing cleavage.
Some place it in areas where only their lovers can see.
Many people in the workplace have tatoos on their arms,ankle,abdomen,sacral region but they don't come naked to work and so you never see them.
You can say whatever you wish and get your little side kick support you, it doesn't change the fact that tribal marks are ugly and unsightly and need to be fazed out immediately.

If you love them,go get them,your name already screams out that you need one grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by moondust(m): 3:23pm On Jun 28, 2007
it is proof that one can fight with a tiger and escape alive with only clawmarks on his cheeks. lol tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Somali-Sudanese Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.