Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,050 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? (11368 Views)

Nigeria Is Not A Rich Country - Buhari (Vanguard) / Why Do Nigerians Think That Nigeria Is A Rich Country? / Is Nigeria A Rich Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by buzugee(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2011
i need your input on how a resource impoverished nation like britain is one of the richest in the world ? is this non-resource prosperity sustainable ?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 8:53pm On Feb 05, 2011
The British are not Nigerians. The difference is clear.

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 8:56pm On Feb 05, 2011
For a country that makes most of her money from tax. What do you expect.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2011
Afam,
They make good use of that money unlike Nigerians who make so much from but have nothing to show for it.

No excuses
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2011
Infact, without tax GB is supposed to be one of the poorest countries in the world. Pls does GB own any big company apart from Shell and Binatone? When you hear Germany what comes to mind is Mercedes, BMW. When you hear Korea it's Kia etc. When you hear Japan it's Toyota etc. When you hear USA it's Ford, Chrysler, MCdonalds etc. What exactly does Britain produce.

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:01pm On Feb 05, 2011
udezue:

Afam,
They make good use of that money unlike Nigerians who make so much from but have nothing to show for it.

No excuses

Yes you're right. But that still doesn't explain how a country will derive most of it's wealth from stealing. Does it?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
They produce yet are so damn rich. Wsup with that? Its magic.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On Feb 05, 2011
udezue:

They produce yet are so damn rich. Wsup with that? Its magic.
It's not magic it's stealing.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 9:07pm On Feb 05, 2011
Stealing from who please?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:09pm On Feb 05, 2011
udezue:

Stealing from who please?
The people. Their tax is exorbitant. See the way they recently trippled their school fees.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ekubear1: 9:09pm On Feb 05, 2011
What is their economy based upon?

Primarily London and international finance/banking, right? They don't manufacture or build anything of note, do they?

Perhaps some UK nationals can shed some more insight on what their country's economy is based on (I'm too lazy to Wikipedia it right now. . . )
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by asha80(m): 9:11pm On Feb 05, 2011
afam4eva:

The people. Their tax is exorbitant. See the way they recently trippled their school fees.

their tax is exorbitant yet nigerians run to there to live,school and work.also nigerian looters invest their loot there.

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:15pm On Feb 05, 2011
asha 80:

their tax is exorbitant yet nigerians run to there to live,school and work.also nigerian looters invest their loot there.

Nigerians are known to be suffering and smiling. People there are complaining about the tax yet they keep living there.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 9:17pm On Feb 05, 2011
Nigerians are known for suffering an smiling? Hhmm tell me one Nigerian that will be to trade suffering in UK for suffering in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ShangoThor(m): 9:20pm On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

What is their economy based upon?

Primarily London and international finance/banking, right? They don't manufacture or build anything of note, do they?

Perhaps some UK nationals can shed some more insight on what their country's economy is based on (I'm too lazy to Wikipedia it right now. . . )

@ bold Bingo! Banking and the 'digital gaming' industry which is worth billions.

But seriously, why does Britain have to produce anything when you have people from other countries Nigerians and their Leaders
that are willing to loot their countries and bring it to the UK for safekeeping.
wink

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by MaJBlige(f): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2011
they have less mouth to feed, maybe??
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:34pm On Feb 05, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Ma_J_Blige:

Countries that have less mouth to feed are actually the richest eg Switzerland and those Scandinavian countries.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by asha80(m): 9:41pm On Feb 05, 2011
afam4eva:

Countries that have less mouth to feed are actually the richest eg Switzerland and those Scandinavian countries.

erm what about togo and benin republic?

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:44pm On Feb 05, 2011
asha 80:

erm what about togo and benin republic?

Very funny. Though i think it will be easier for countries like Togo and benin to find their footing faster than Nigeria because they have less mouth to feed. I wonder if they have any resources.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Knight1(m): 9:46pm On Feb 05, 2011
Education. they sell education.

london is like an international marketplace so, they shouldnt be poor
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 9:49pm On Feb 05, 2011
Knight1:

Education. they sell education.

london is like an international marketplace so, they shouldnt be poor
Education is still a form of tax. Their school fees are usually higher than those in the United states not as if their standards are higher.

To think that most of their money comes from outside.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by asha80(m): 9:57pm On Feb 05, 2011
afam4eva:

Education is still a form of tax. Their school fees are usually higher than those in the United states not as if their standards are higher.

To think that most of their money comes from outside.

they have packaged themselves well that most often than not you cannot just resist bring money from your country into their country.just ask nigerians,indians,oil rich arabs and stinkinly rich russians.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ekubear1: 10:00pm On Feb 05, 2011
Most interesting thing about the UK to me is that they have this big, powerful multinational (Shell), and their country doesn't even produce much oil.

Kinda impressive.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by NegroNtns(m): 10:02pm On Feb 05, 2011
Buzugee,

A very good question!

But seriously, why does Britain have to produce anything when you have people from other countries Nigerians and their Leaders
that are willing to loot their countries and bring it to the UK for safekeeping

Shango, I have observed your responses to serious issues like this one and I admit I like your well thought out responses to them.  Keep it up!

In my own response I will piggyback on Shango's response and add that the end of colonialism did not end our exploitation by Europeans.  When they were in control of Africa they sealed treaties that bind ownership of our resources to their sovereign lands - England, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy and so on. . .

When we gained independence, our government could have ended and nulled these treaties but did not do so.  Regime after regime, military and civilians, we continue to honor and uphold those bad treaties that siphon the royalties and gains of our natural resources away from our control and ownership to the pockets of foreigners in England.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by asha80(m): 10:06pm On Feb 05, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Buzugee,

A very good question!

Shango, I have observed your responses to serious issues like this one and I admit I like your well thought out responses to them.  Keep it up!

In my own response I will piggyback on Shango's response and add that the end of colonialism did not end our exploitation by Europeans.  When they were in control of Africa they sealed treaties that bind ownership of our resources to their sovereign lands - England, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy and so on. . .

When we gained independence, our government could have ended and nulled these treaties but did not do so.  Regime after regime, military and civilians, we continue to honor and uphold those bad treaties that siphon the royalties and gains of our natural resources away from our control and ownership to the pockets of foreigners in England.

inferiority complex or uncle tomisim?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 10:22pm On Feb 05, 2011
Its our fault, plain and simple. UK have created for themselves a good system. They value their young, talents, they treat their citizens poor and needy with dignity and provide welfare. They have an environment with laws and regulations made to attract investments from all over the world. They respect the rights of their people. You don't have one person in power pulling strings. They have transparency, accountability and checks and balances. Until Nigeria can match them we aint going anywhere forward so whether the govt steals by over-taxing or not isn't the issue coz atleast unlike our appointed and so called elected officials they don't siphon their money into foreign banks and refuse to use revenues generated to provided services for the country.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PapaBrowne(m): 10:24pm On Feb 05, 2011
The greatest resource that exists is knowledge. Knowledge as a resource far outstrips any raw material beneath the ground!!

Countries like South Korea, Singapore, Japan and other countries that have made great success in this half century had little or no raw materials.

Countries like Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Venezuela, Iran etc that have massive resources underground, have nothing to show!! Infact European and American countries benefit more financially from countries with resources! They are represented by the likes of Shell, Chevron, etc!

To think about it, Apple, Google, Microsoft have built companies that are far larger than many countries with huge natural resources! And they did it all with knowledge!!

3 Likes

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 10:25pm On Feb 05, 2011
It's obvious knowledge is the new resource. And the best because it does not die and it can be nurtured. What is government doing about the educational sector.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by udezue(m): 10:28pm On Feb 05, 2011
knowledge
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Afam4eva(m): 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2011
Isn't it Ironic with all our resources even if we don't get to where Britain is at least we should get to somewhere good. Don't you guys thing God should just dry up the oil so that we'll all wake up.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by fstranger6: 10:39pm On Feb 05, 2011
WHo produce Jaguar and Aston Martin?

1 Like

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ShangoThor(m): 10:44pm On Feb 05, 2011
Its actually quite ironical

1. The bulk of the wealth in the UK was derived from the "Slave Trade" which funded their "Industrial Revolution".

2. The main funders of the "Slave Trade" were the "Barclays Brothers", who later formed "Barclays Bank".

3. Barclay's Bank is one of the biggest banks in the UK that has laundered and stashed billions of looted funds from Nigeria.

So I guess you can say its Nigeria's money being recycled when you consider Nigeria = pre colonial "Slave Coast"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jagaban Returns To Lagos Empty-handed / Jonathan Calls-Off Budget Presentation To N'Assembly For 'Security Reasons' / Reps Clear 3 Lawmakers Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.