Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,018 members, 7,838,556 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? (11381 Views)

Nigeria Is Not A Rich Country - Buhari (Vanguard) / Why Do Nigerians Think That Nigeria Is A Rich Country? / Is Nigeria A Rich Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Nobody: 3:53am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD said:

The British actually had India and Egypt as colonies for much longer than Nigeria and didn't set up colleges and schools immediately or in many locations, so I don't see the difference, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.

Britain controlled all India by 1860, roughly 30 years before Nigeria.

But even BEFORE she had fully conquered India, she began setting up universities there!

A brief chronology:

The Calcutta University was founded by the British in India in 1857, modeled on the University of London in England.

University of Madras: Established 1857

University of Bombay (now known as the University of Mumbai) was established in 1857.

The Allahabad University: Established in 1887

By the turn of the century, Indians had become so educated and wealthy that they began to establish universities. In 1916, nationalist leader, Pandit Malviya, established the Banaras Hindu University.

Another one, the University of Mysore, was established also in 1916.

This is important because when people sit around asking why Nigeria is not as advanced as some of these countries, they should see that it's because the nations we compare ourselves with have been churning out highly educated technocrats, administrators, engineers, economists and scientists in their thousands, for at least a full century before us.

Those who start late will play catch-up.

The British have a lot of questions to answer as to why they delayed higher education in Nigeria until they were about to leave in 1960.

With regard to South Africa,  I'm pretty puzzled by how they did more for colonial black South Africans than they did for Nigerians, for basically no reason.

Whatever they ''did'' for colonial black South Africans was tangential to their overall focus on the white settler population.

I had earlier thought that more black South Africans were more integrated into Western life and living since they had been coming to white cities since the 1800s and that might have been the reason, but I don't really think so  now. The Niger Delta, for example, had been interacting with the British for a long time (trade) and could have immediately benefited from British development when they were made protectorates, but the Brits didn't give a damn. I guess they viewed Nigeria the way Belgians viewed the Congo - exploit, pillage, and move on.

The thing is this. British and western colonial rule in Africa followed a pattern - wherever there was, in addition to the colonial regime, a substantial white settler population, the govt invested heavily in education and infrastructure.

Thus, in nations like South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe etc, you'll find they built real infrastructure using the proceeds of the resources of those countries.

But in nations with no substantial white settler communities, they did next to nothing, with any development being merely incidental to the primary purpose of efficiently extracting and evacuating natural resources. Thus the Belgian Congo, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Cameroun etc etc, without huge white communities, were completely neglected and all profits from international trade siphoned. This is why you visit those countries and whatever infrastructure you see was built by post independence governments who started from nothing.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:12am On Feb 10, 2011
I see. Good points, though I was under the impression that Britain had been ruling India since the 1700s. Overall, I see why they did what they did. Shame Nigerians had be 40-50 years behind educationally in addition to how far behind others they were in other aspects. These Brits were just so exploitative. undecided They didn't learn from their own history. Sometimes I wish the Romans had made mincemeat of them and made the British Isles into Little Rome.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by SEFAGO(m): 4:21am On Feb 10, 2011
Wow in all fairness Rossike smoked the arse of those British apologist wanna-bes grin

I do have to agree with his points. Although we cannot see it or see much- NIgeria has come a long way, not just as fast as we would all love it to be like and this tells us of how much potential we have
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 4:54am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I see. Good points, though I was under the impression that Britain had been ruling India since the 1700s. Overall, I see why they did what they did. Shame Nigerians had be 40-50 years behind educationally in addition to how far behind others they were in other aspects. These Brits were just so exploitative. undecided They didn't learn from their own history. Sometimes I wish the Romans had made mincemeat of them and made the British Isles into Little Rome.

The Romans actually did that to their province in Britannia. We all know the original inhabitants of Britain were thoroughly Romanized. Rome's influence went as far North into Scotland, but they could not conquer the warrior Scots.

Now what have now in Great Britain are the descendants of Germanic tribes known as the Saxons. This is where you get Anglo-Saxons who conquered the island, when Rome was falling.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 4:56am On Feb 10, 2011
I always enjoy reading ROSSIKE's points. He has well thought out explanations and is truly a erudite. Keep up the good work my friend.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:00am On Feb 10, 2011
EzeUche_:

The Romans actually did that to their province in Britannia. We all know the original inhabitants of Britain were thoroughly Romanized. Rome's influence went as far North into Scotland, but they could not conquer the warrior Scots.

Now what have now in Great Britain are the descendants of Germanic tribes known as the Saxons. This is where you get Anglo-Saxons who conquered the island, when Rome was falling.

I know. What I mean is, sometimes I wish the Romans hadn't been so lenient on them, knowing what they went on to do later to so many groups.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 5:03am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I know. What I mean is, sometimes I wish the Romans hadn't been so lenient on them, knowing what they went on to do later to so many groups.

Well since modern day British are descendants of Germanic invaders. I wish the Romans crossed the Rhine River and dealt with the various Germanic tribes that inhabited the region. That would have save the Roman Empire a lot of headaches. However, the Roman Emperor Augstus did not want anymore Roman troops crossing the Rhine after he lost 12 legions under the command of Varus.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 5:16am On Feb 10, 2011
SEFAGO:

Wow in all fairness Rossike smoked the arse of those British apologist wanna-bes  grin

I do have to agree with his points. Although we cannot see it or see much- [b]NIgeria has come a long way, not just as fast as [/b]we would all love it to be like and this tells us of how much potential we have
[b]
Nobody is more of British apologists than the Obasanjos, Awolowos, Gowons etc of this world. Unfortunately your fore-fathers exhibited that by willingly accepting to be used as puppets to destroy their supposed fellow Nigerians in order to maintain the British domination and exploitative influence over a farce called Nigeria. Stating the obvious have now made people that are natural born cowards and  British apologists to accuse others of being same.

Fact remains that NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY WAY BETTER UNDER THE BRITISH THAN UNDER ALL THE MUMU LEADERS THAT HAVE RULED NIGERIA SINCE AFTER THE INDEPENDENCE. YES, THEY WOULD HAVE DIRECTLY EXPLOITED NIGERIA, BUT STANDARD OF LIVING WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER. THAT IS THE TRUTH. POSTING PICTURES OF ROADS BUILT IN LESS THAN 5-10 YEARS OUT OF 50 YEARS WILL NOT CHANGE THAT.
YOU PEOPLE LIKE TO LIE TO YOURSELVES. THIS IS WHY WHEN FOREIGN MEDIA ORGANIZATIONS COME TO EXHIBIT NIGERIA, THEY SHOW ONLY SLUMS. BEFORE FASHOLA, HOW WAS LAGOS? UP TILL NOW HOW IS LAGOS MAINLAND? WHEN WAS THE ROADS THAT YOU POSTED BUILT? WHICH PICTURE THAT YOU POSTED HAD AN INFRASTRUCTURE THAT WAS MAINTAINED AND IMPROVED SINCE AFTER INDEPENDENCE? DOES YOUR GOVERNMENT NOT BUILD AND ABANDON ROADS? dO THEY EVEN BUILD PROPER ROADS? HOW ARE THE CONDITIONS IN  ANAMBRA, ABIA, KANO, OGUN, OYO, ZAMFARA  STATES?
MAY NIGERIA CEASE TO BE SOON. I AM PRAYING SERIOUSLY FOR IT. I'D BE BETTER OFF WITH REALISTS THAN ANIMALS IN HUMAN SKINS.[/b]
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Jenifa1: 5:21am On Feb 10, 2011
well, control of the tools of trade is at least part of it.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:26am On Feb 10, 2011
lol, more whining. A very ungracious way to concede defeat. I guess these mumu leaders include Michael Okpara and Nnamdi Azikiwe. I could go into the failings of those leaders here but it would derail the thread too much. I think it's been sufficiently covered in other threads, anyway.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 5:27am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

lol, more whining. A very ungracious way to concede defeat. I guess these mumu leaders include Michael Okpara and Nnamdi Azikiwe. I could go into the failings of those leaders here but it would derail the thread too much. I think it's been sufficiently covered in other threads, anyway.

Nnamdi Azikiwe was a thorn in the British side. Let us be real with ourselves. The British did not like leaders like him, Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and others.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 5:31am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

IT MAY DISAPPOINT YOU TO KNOW THAT I MEANT ALL THE LEADERS. YOUR TINY TRIBALISTIC BRAIN WILL NOT MAKE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT.  HOWEVER, IN NIGERIA'S HISTORY, SOME REGIONS HAD BRITAIN'S BLESSING OVER OTHERS DUE TO THEIR EASE OF CONTROL. THE NORTH AND WEST WERE MORE CONTROLLABLE TO THE BRITISH THAN THE EAST, HENCE MY STATEMENT THAT YOUR FORE-FATHERS WERE READY TO DIE JUST TO ALLOW THE BRITISH TO MAINTAIN THEIR CONTROL OVER NIGERIA, JUST BECAUSE IT FAVORED THEM.
THAT IS NOT EVEN MY MAIN POINT. MY MAIN POINT IS THAT NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER UNDER THE BRITISH THAN UNDER ALL THE MORONS THAT EVER RULED NIGERIA. BY THE MORONS, I MEAN ALL.

AND I WONDER WHY IT IS SO EASY FOR A not-so-smart person LIKE YOU TO CLAIM VICTORY WITH YOUR CLUELESS ARGUMENTS? YOU HAVE NOT PROVED HOW NIGERIA HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF NOW THAN IN THE DAYS OF THE BRITISH?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by SEFAGO(m): 5:43am On Feb 10, 2011
Fact remains that NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY WAY BETTER UNDER THE BRITISH THAN UNDER ALL THE MUMU LEADERS THAT HAVE RULED NIGERIA SINCE AFTER THE INDEPENDENCE. YES, THEY WOULD HAVE DIRECTLY EXPLOITED NIGERIA, BUT STANDARD OF LIVING WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER. THAT IS THE TRUTH. POSTING PICTURES OF ROADS BUILT IN LESS THAN 5-10 YEARS OUT OF 50 YEARS WILL NOT CHANGE THAT.

Do you think the British build anything for black people and for your benefit? Would they let your black arse near most of the things they build for themselves? There is dignity in poverty than be ruled by another group that would probably checkmate all attempts for you to have the same standard of living as they have. Think South Africa- yes that is what might have happened if Britain was allowed to stay in Nigeria. If Britain has nothing to gain significantly from Nigeria, they will not develop it. What is the motive for developing Nigeria? Na dem be your papa.

Think Algeria, think of the French section and the fact that they developed that section of the city while leaving where the Algerians stayed in poor conditions. At best that would what have happened. Just because you never lived in Colonial Africa and have forgotten so fast the prejudice and the second class citizenship that our forefathers lived IN THEIR OWN LAND.

Do you really want to live in a segregate society just so you could see white people?? At least despite the corruption in Nigeria, we have produced our own homegrown millionaires. Yes, there is a significant gap between the rich and the poor in Nigeria but the amount of rich and middle class Nigerians and professionals has risen in Nigeria.

Pray how large is the black middle class in South Africa now? Before the brits and dutch left power? After the brits and dutch left power?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ezeagu(m): 5:45am On Feb 10, 2011
I can't help but notice that a lot of you are bullshitters.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ezeagu(m): 5:52am On Feb 10, 2011
ROSSIKE:

This is important because when people sit around asking why Nigeria is not as advanced as some of these countries, they should see that it's because the nations we compare ourselves with have been churning out highly educated technocrats, administrators, engineers, economists and scientists in their thousands, for at least a full century before us.

Those who start late will play catch-up.

So where were these educated people in former British colonies like Barbados, or to be more relevant, a former British colony like Botswana?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 5:55am On Feb 10, 2011
SEFAGO:

Pray how large is the black middle class in South Africa now? Before the brits and dutch left power? After the brits and dutch left power?

[b]OKAY, YOUR POINT IS THAT BLACKS ARE SUPPRESSED IN SOUTH AFRICA. I CONCUR. BUT IT MAKES ME TO WONDER WHY THE SO ESTABLISHED NIGERIAN MIDDLE CLASS FIND IT BETTER TO MIGRATE TO SOUTH AFRICA THAN STAY IN NIGERIA WHERE THEY HAVE MORE SAY AND POWER? OR ARE THESE NIGERIAN MIDDLE CLASS WHITES?
ONE THING THAT I KNOW FOR SURE IS THAT NIGERIANS WOULD HAVE HAD ALL THE BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES, MORE INTERNATIONAL REGARD AND A BETTER IMAGE IF THE BRITISH WERE STILL IN CONTROL. I ALSO KNOW THAT NIGERIANS WOULD HAVE LESS POVERTY BECAUSE EVEN THE POOR WOULD HAVE HAD JOBS, AND NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN A MEGA DEVELOPED NATION, WITH ALL THESE RESOURCES THAT NIGERIAN LEADERS HAVE PLUNDERED. I KNOW THAT MANY BRITISH WOULD HAVE BECOME NIGERIANS, AND CITIES THAT WILL LEAD THE GROWTH OF OTHER CITIES WOULD HAVE GROWN. NIGERIA IS NOT ZIMBABWE, WE HAVE MORE RESOURCES THAN SOUTH AFRICA. SO IMAGINE WHAT THEY WOULD DO WITH NIGERIA IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE TO LEAD IT? MANDELA KNEW ALL THESE, THAT WAS WHY DESPITE HIS MILITANT YOUTH AND HIS INCARCERATION FOR HIS ACTIONS, HE STILL FORGAVE THE BRITISH, AND ALLOWED THEM TO STAY AND HELP HIM TO LEAD SOUTH AFRICA. 
MY POINT IS THAT THE BRITISH WOULD HAVE EXPLOITED NIGERIA A LOT, BUT I CAN TELL YOU AS A MATTER OF FACT THAT THE ONES THAT WILL RUB OFF ON NIGERIANS WOULD HAVE BEEN 1 MILLION TIMES GREATER THAN WHAT NIGERIANS GET NOW FROM THEIR MORONIC LEADERS.[/b]
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ezeagu(m): 5:56am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

@ Justcash, don't derail this thread with pointless whining. What's stopping you from going this very moment and developing Port Harcourt the way you presume the British would have? Did Amaechi institute a Justcash ban in Port Harcourt? By the way, the Western region excluding Lagos was richer than the East and had the same level of infrastructural development, or possibly greater (Ibadan, for example), so I don't see what all this babble about the East is about.

What infrastructure did Ibadan have?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by ezeagu(m): 5:59am On Feb 10, 2011
ROSSIKE:

PhysicsMHD said:

The British set up universities and engineering institutes in India, South Africa, Egypt et al as early as the 1850s. They seconded professors and lecturers from the UK and elsewhere to form the initial teaching staff in all those places. They had also established in those countries a high number of primary and secondary schools prior, such that there was no shortage of qualified students. So don't make excuses for them. They deliberately witheld education from Nigerians as a matter of state policy dictated from London. They simply did not consider it in their interest to establish higher education in Nigeria. It was only after unremitting pressure from indigenes following WW2 that they grudgingly established the ''University College'', Ibadan.

And another paragraph goes into the 'Thing's I Wish Happened' history book of Nairaland.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:09am On Feb 10, 2011
Justcash:

IT MAY DISAPPOINT YOU TO KNOW THAT I MEANT ALL THE LEADERS. YOUR TINY TRIBALISTIC BRAIN WILL NOT MAKE YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT.  HOWEVER, IN NIGERIA'S HISTORY, SOME REGIONS HAD BRITAIN'S BLESSING OVER OTHERS DUE TO THEIR EASE OF CONTROL. [b]THE NORTH AND WEST WERE MORE CONTROLLABLE TO THE BRITISH THAN THE EAST, HENCE MY STATEMENT THAT YOUR FORE-FATHERS WERE READY TO DIE JUST TO ALLOW THE BRITISH TO MAINTAIN THEIR CONTROL OVER NIGERIA, JUST BECAUSE IT FAVORED THEM.

THAT IS NOT EVEN MY MAIN POINT. MY MAIN POINT IS THAT NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER UNDER THE BRITISH THAN UNDER ALL THE MORONS THAT EVER RULED NIGERIA. BY THE MORONS, I MEAN ALL.

AND I WONDER WHY IT IS SO EASY FOR A not-so-smart person LIKE YOU TO CLAIM VICTORY WITH YOUR CLUELESS ARGUMENTS? YOU HAVE NOT PROVED HOW NIGERIA HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF NOW THAN IN THE DAYS OF THE BRITISH?
[/b]

It may disappoint you to know that your dishonest bullshit about all the leaders is laughable when you specifically turned this tribal with your drivel in your other post about "Stating the obvious have now made people that are natural born cowards and  British apologists to accuse others of being same." and "The British would have left Nigeria in a better state (despite their exploitation) than your fore-fathers that turned the country into a big and disrespectful slum. Nigeria actually went out of hand after your fathers succeeded in putting the East out of the political equation, and started dancing to their ethnic drums on it."

Accept that Nnamdi Azikiwe and other NCNC/East people sat back and let their political buddies declare a  state of emergency be imposed on the West instead of letting the real culprits for the disturbance in the West be fished out and held accountable. So much for "discovering that the composition of Nigeria was breeding strife." More like helping compound strife. undecided

Your other garbage about only the East being difficult is of no relevance to this discussion about the British and the colonial development of Nigeria aside from being used for your shameless, despicable and tribalistic posts. By the way, are the Tivs in the East now? The Egbas? The British had a hard time with them, are they in the East?

Where did I ever argue about how Nigeria was under the British vs. now? All I did was admit that ROSSIKE was in the right for once, as he was in this thread. Facts are facts, Lugard and his cronies treated this country like a who-re, not a bride. Deal with it. I didn't claim that Nigeria couldn't have been much better than it is or glorify a slum like Lagos, but you clearly know nothing about colonial Nigeria. Go and find out what they used and didn't use Nigeria's resources for, before you come here spewing crap. Lugard's brother considered educated Nigerians "trousered niggers" and Lugard's infamous comments are only too well known and you're here wishing they were still governing you.

I'm not going to engage you further. I'm not interested in talking to someone who's highest aspiration in life is to be considered a trousered nigger.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by SEFAGO(m): 6:16am On Feb 10, 2011

OKAY, YOUR POINT IS THAT BLACKS ARE SUPPRESSED IN SOUTH AFRICA. I CONCUR. BUT IT MAKES ME TO WONDER WHY THE SO ESTABLISHED NIGERIAN MIDDLE CLASS FIND IT BETTER TO MIGRATE TO SOUTH AFRICA THAN STAY IN NIGERIA WHERE THEY HAVE MORE SAY AND POWER? OR ARE THESE NIGERIAN MIDDLE CLASS WHITES?

Statistics on this? How many comfortable middle class Nigerians are packing for SA and leaving their jobs to hustle? Not the UK or US but South Africa.

You might as well make fun of the French people, Indians, Lebanese and e.t.c who move happily to Nigeria to partake in business and seek employment albeit in MNC and companies established by the countrymen.

You probably mean Young Nigerian boys leave for SA to hustle? Yeah well if something does not work for you somewhere, then moving somewhere is not really a bad idea. In a "global village" we have the right to take part in the international job market even if its the drug market in SA  grin

The most salient fact is that  you would no be allowed to partake anyways in whatever the brits develop. You will only be able to be a spectator like most Africans in Colonial Africa.

ONE THING THAT I KNOW [/b]FOR SURE IS THAT NIGERIANS WOULD HAVE ALL THE BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES, MORE INTERNATIONAL REGARD AND A BETTER IMAGE IF THE BRITISH WERE STILL IN CONTROL. I ALSO KNOW THAT NIGERIANS WOULD HAVE LESS POVERTY BECAUSE EVEN THE POOR WOULD HAVE JOBS, [b]AND NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN A MEGA DEVELOPED NATION, WITH ALL THESE WASTED RESOURCES THAT NIGERIAN LEADERS HAVE PLUNDERED.

Yeah right you know this because . . . ?? You seem to know a lot of things. Do have like a paradigm for your argument? Resources does not directly mean much really. Thats what people dont get- its not about resources or finished products its all about innovation and competitive advantage.

NIGERIA IS NOT ZIMBABWE, WE HAVE MORE RESOURCES THAN SOUTH AFRICA. SO IMAGINE WHAT THEY WOULD DO WITH NIGERIA IF THEY HAD THE CHANCE TO LEAD IT?

Yeah imagine how happy the UK would have been to be able to directly control Nigeria's oil profits. Imagine how their currently under-performing economy would be doing unlimited cash flow from their African operations. Imagine how the British Citizens would be enjoying OUR MONEY based on the sorrow, tears and blood of the people in the ND.

Nice  grin.

And they would be under no obligation to develop Nigeria anyways  grin, and British people become Nigerian- yeah maybe but would they want economic parity?
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 6:25am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

It may disappoint you to know that your dishonest bullshit about all the leaders is laughable when you specifically turned this tribal with your drivel in your other post about "Stating the obvious have now made people that are natural born cowards and  British apologists to accuse others of being same." and "The British would have left Nigeria in a better state (despite their exploitation) than your fore-fathers that turned the country into a big and disrespectful slum. Nigeria actually went out of hand after your fathers succeeded in putting the East out of the political equation, and started dancing to their ethnic drums on it."
[b]
CAN YOU POINT OUT ANY OF MY STATEMENTS IN BOLD THAT IS NOT TRUE?
DID THE BRITISH NOT COLLUDE WITH YOUR FORE-FATHERS TO QUELL A SITUATION THAT WOULD HAVE LEFT THEM (BRITISH) WITHOUT CONTROL OF A PART OF NIGERIA? GO AND READ ABOUT THE ROLE OF THE BRITISH IN ETHNO- POLITICAL SEGREGATION IN NIGERIA, AND THEIR INTENSE EFFORT TO EXTERMINATE THE EAST (IF POSSIBLE) THROUGH THE NORTH AND WEST, JUST TO GAIN CONTROL OF THE OIL RICH EASTERN REGION.
WAS NIGERIA'S POLITICAL SYSTEM THAT WAS DOMINATED BY YOUR FORE-FATHERS FOR OVER 40 YEARS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ROT IN EVERY ASPECT OF NIGERIA?
IF YOU MUST KNOW, I DON'T LIKE NNAMDI AZIKIWE AND OTHER EASTERN MORONS THAT JOINED YOUR FORE-FATHERS AND HAUSA'S TO KEEP NIGERIA AS ONE. I HATE ALL OF THEM.
FOR A SECOND AND LAST TIME, I AM NOT BEING TIBALISTIC. I AM STATING WHAT IS OBVIOUS.
I ALSO AM NOT READY TO DESCEND TO YOUR LEVEL TO EXCHANGE ETHNIC BULLCRAPS.

ANYWAY, ABOUT THE "COWARD" PART. YOU REALLY VIEWED IT AS BEING REFERRED TO YOU AND YOUR FORE-FATHERS. WITH SUCH A NATURAL FEELING FROM YOU, ONE CANNOT DOUBT THE AUTHENTICITY OF THAT STATEMENT BEING A TRUE REFLECTION OF YOUR BEING AND HEREDITY.  [/b]
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 6:32am On Feb 10, 2011
The fact is Africa will never progress as long as we see each other as enemies.

Do you people know who is pulling the strings? It is the West. . . They see no difference between Yorubas, Hausa, Ijaws, Igbos, Idoma etc.

Africans and their backward thinking.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:40am On Feb 10, 2011
Justcash:

CAN YOU POINT OUT ANY OF MY STATEMENTS IN BOLD THAT IS NOT TRUE?
DID THE BRITISH NOT COLLUDE WITH YOUR FORE-FATHERS TO QUELL A SITUATION THAT WOULD HAVE LEFT THEM (BRITISH) WITHOUT CONTROL OF A PART OF NIGERIA? GO AND READ ABOUT THE ROLE OF THE BRITISH IN ETHNO- POLITICAL SEGREGATION IN NIGERIA, AND THEIR INTENSE EFFORT TO EXTERMINATE THE EAST (IF POSSIBLE) THROUGH THE NORTH AND WEST, JUST TO GAIN CONTROL OF THE OIL RICH EASTERN REGION.
[b]WAS NIGERIA'S POLITICAL SYSTEM DOMINATED BY YOUR FORE-FATHERS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ROT IN EVERY ASPECT OF NIGERIA?

IF YOU MUST KNOW, I DON'T LIKE NNAMDI AZIKIWE AND OTHER EASTERN MORONS THAT JOINED YOUR FORE-FATHERS AND HAUSA'S TO KEEP NIGERIA AS ONE. I HATE ALL OF THEM.
FOR A SECOND AND LAST TIME, I AM NOT BEING TIBALISTIC. I AM STATING WHAT IS OBVIOUS.
I ALSO AM NOT READY TO DESCEND TO YOUR LEVEL TO EXCHANGE ETHNIC BULLCRAPS.

ANYWAY ABOUT THE "COWARD" PART. YOU REALLY VIEWED IT AS BEING REFERRED TO YOU AND YOUR FORE-FATHERS. WITH SUCH A NATURAL FEELING FROM YOU, ONE CANNOT DOUBT THE AUTHENTICITY OF THAT STATEMENT BEING A TRUE REFLECTION OF YOUR BEING AND HEREDITY.  [/b]

Hilarious. A baboon like you telling me to go and read. Who are my forefathers? Name them. What political system did they dominate? Imagine some buffoon talking about cowardice of people whose lives he knew nothing about. A pea-brained oaf like you thinking I was from a group (Yoruba? Does this buffoon actually think I'm Yoruba?) that "dominated" the politics of this country along with Hausas and then claiming you're not here to exchange ethnic insults when you clearly accuse specific ethnic groups (which I don't belong to) of dominating the politics of a country and leading to the rot in *every* aspect of that country. Throw yourself off a mountain with no parachute and stop pretending to know anything. You're just too dumb to successfully mask your pathetic tribalism and too loudmouthed to successfully mask your stupidity.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 6:42am On Feb 10, 2011
Please do not derail this thread people. Tribalism has been kept out of this thread, which was quite amazing. Let us focus our energy on the neo-colonialist.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:45am On Feb 10, 2011
Alright, I'm done. Let the original derailer have the last word if he wishes. I won't even bother reading or responding to whatever nonsense pops up next.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 6:45am On Feb 10, 2011
SEFAGO:

Statistics on this? How many comfortable middle class Nigerians are packing for SA and leaving their jobs to hustle? Not the UK or US but South Africa.

You might as well make fun of the French people, Indians, Lebanese and e.t.c who move happily to Nigeria to partake in business and seek employment albeit in MNC and companies established by the countrymen.

You probably mean Young Nigerian boys leave for SA to hustle? Yeah well if something does not work for you somewhere, then moving somewhere is not really a bad idea. In a "global village" we have the right to take part in the international job market even if its the drug market in SA  grin

The most salient fact is that  you would no be allowed to partake anyways in whatever the brits develop. You will only be able to be a spectator like most Africans in Colonial Africa.

Yeah right you know this because . . . ?? You seem to know a lot of things. Do have like a paradigm for your argument? Resources does not directly mean much really. Thats what people dont get- its not about resources or finished products its all about innovation and competitive advantage.

Yeah imagine how happy the UK would have been to be able to directly control Nigeria's oil profits. Imagine how their currently under-performing economy would be doing unlimited cash flow from their African operations. Imagine how the British Citizens would be enjoying OUR MONEY based on the sorrow, tears and blood of the people in the ND.

Nice  grin.

And they would be under no obligation to develop Nigeria anyways  grin, and British people become Nigerian- yeah maybe but would they want economic parity?
[b]
OK, I AGREE, THEY DON'T RUN ONLY TO SOUTH AFRICA, THEY ALSO RUN TO THE UK AND THE UNITED STATES. QUESTION IS, IS AMERICA AND UK PART OF NIGERIA? WHAT ARE THEY RUNNING FROM? THIS IS NOT ONLY ABOUT THE UK AND UNITED STATES, THIS IS ABOUT THE WHOLE WORLD. NIGERIANS EVEN RUN TO GHANA NOW. FYI, THERE ARE MILLIONS OF NIGERIANS THAT PREFER TO STAY ILLEGALLY IN OTHER COUNTRIES THAN REMAIN IN NIGERIA. THEY PREFER TO SPEND HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF NAIRA, THAT IS BIG ENOUGH TO START A SMALL VENTURE, TO RUN AWAY TO OTHER COUNTRIES AND STAY ILLEGALLY IN THOSE COUNTRIES. WHY?
DEVELOP KO RENOVATE NI, MAKE I HEAR WORD JO!
THE BLACK SOUTH AFRICANS WERE SPECTATORS FOR MANY YEARS, NOW THEY HAVE THE BEST ECONOMY IN AFRICA. NIGERIANS WERE NOT SPECTATORS, WE MAINTAIN A SECOND PLACE TO SOUTH AFRICA, DESPITE OUR OBVIOUS SUPERIORITY IN TERMS OF RESOURCES, BOTH HUMAN AND NATURAL. WHY IS IT SO? WHY IS IT THAT ZIMBABWE UNDER MUGABE BECAME CHAOTIC AFTER EXPERIENCING DECADES OF BOUNTIFUL ECONOMY AND STANDARD OF LIVING? WHY ARE ZIMBABWEANS NOW RUNNING TO SOUTH AFRICA FROM THEIR COUNTRY WHICH IS NOW UNDER THE CONTROL OF THEIR BLACK BROTHER? IF NIGERIA DID WELL AFTER INDEPENDENCE, I'D NOT BE HAVING THIS WISH. BUT NIGERIA HAVE NEVER PERFORMED WELL. LITTLE WONDER WHY NIGERIANS LITTER AROUND EUROPE, NORTH AMERICA, SOUTH AMERICA AND ASIA IN SEARCH OF GREENER PASTURES.
WE HAVE OUR OWN COUNTRY, WHICH YOU ALL ARE SAYING HAVE DEVELOPED SINCE THE BRITISH LEFT IT, WHY THEN ARE WE STILL RUNNING TO OTHER PEOPLE'S COUNTRIES? WE CHASED THE BRITISH AWAY, AND WE ARE RUNNING TO THEIR COUNTRY TO FORCE THEM TO COLONIZE US IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.
I AM NOT PREACHING RACIAL SUPERIORITY, ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT THE BRITISH RULE IN NIGERIA WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR BETTER FOR NIGERIANS, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THAT NIGERIAN LEADERS WERE NOT ABLE TO LEAD THE COUNTRY PROPERLY AFTER THE BRITISH LEFT THEM TO DO SO.[/b]
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Justcash(m): 6:58am On Feb 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Alright, I'm done. Let the original derailer have the last word if he wishes. I won't even bother reading or responding to whatever nonsense pops up next.

LOL! NAH, WE AINT FIGHTING. WE ARE ARGUING. IT IS MEANT TO BRING ABOUT AN EXCHANGE OF KNOWLEDGE. YES, SOMETIMES WE GO TO THE EXTREME AND CALL OURSELVES NAMES, BUT IT ALL STILL ENDS UP AS AN ARGUMENT. IF YOU LOOK PROPERLY, I'VE ONLY CALLED YOU A FEW DEROGATORY NAMES, BUT YOU HAVE DESCENDED ON ME WITH MANY. I STILL TOOK IT AS AN ARGUMENT. SO COOL DOWN.

PhysicsMHD:

Hilarious. A baboon like you telling me to go and read.  Who are my forefathers? Name them. What political system did they dominate? Imagine some buffoon talking about cowardice of people whose lives he knew nothing about. A pea-brained oaf like you thinking I was from a group (Yoruba? Does this buffoon actually think I'm Yoruba?) that "dominated" the politics of this country along with Hausas and then claiming you're not here to exchange ethnic insults when you clearly accuse specific ethnic groups (which I don't belong to) of dominating the politics of a country and leading to the rot in *every* aspect of that country. Throw yourself off a mountain with no parachute and stop pretending to know anything. You're just too dumb to successfully mask your pathetic tribalism and too loudmouthed to successfully mask your stupidity.

LMAO!
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by SEFAGO(m): 7:12am On Feb 10, 2011
Is it only Nigerians? Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Bulagarians, Lithuanians all try and move away from their country to live in the "West"

Migration is happening so frequently in this world because of the globalization that the West started- people want the opportunities they see and hear about in the media and they believe that they can only find those opportunities in the West. There would be no migration if the West had not attempted to

If, I had been born in precolonial Africa, I would be quite happy with my own farm, in some deep village in Yorubaland harvesting my cocoyams and marrying multiple wives, happy with my existence and fighting numerous wars across Yorubaland and become renowned as a great Oyo warrior oblivious of Western civilization with no need to leave my environs for anywhere.

What you see is the domino effect of what the West started. The suffering in Nigeria did not start until the West in all their arrogance felt it fit that the world had to follow their system. An attempt to bring Western civilization into a system that already worked is what has led to the issues that has afflicted Africa for years. Africa's 20+ year integration into the global economy with no real support is the root of our problems.

So yes, I thoroughly support all Nigerians looking for greener pastures abroad especially in the West. When you start something get ready for the repercussions.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by EzeUche2(m): 7:22am On Feb 10, 2011
Globalization is just another form of Western Cultural Imperialism. Point blank.

We as Africans have fallen on hard times and we have forsaken our traditional values.

There needs to be a transformation of the psyche for Africans.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Jenifa1: 7:49am On Feb 10, 2011
EzeUche_:

Globalization is just another form of Western Cultural Imperialism. Point blank.
We as Africans have fallen on hard times and we have forsaken our traditional values.
There needs to be a transformation of the psyche for Africans.

I agree. globalization could be beneficial though. but with "free trade" or neo-liberalism it sadly isn't.
I think what needs to occur is for African leaders to make some revolutionary moves.

We might call Mugabe names and what not. but hey his farm distribution idea is now working and things are starting to pick up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11764004

not saying I support Mugabe because I don't. but sometimes, there are some obvious things  (like actually giving zim land back to zim people) that actually make sense for african govts to do.

our oil resources for example. I always feel that western countries (and now China) are paying chicken change for our oil and natural resources due to the currency exchange rates which is totally unequal. western countries should be paying the full worth of the oil they are buying from us.
consider if currency exchange rates were equal for example, things would be totally different for Nigeria. but how can we make sense of why exchange rates are the way they are? and the implication this has on balance of trade. ie us exporting our raw materials for chicken change and importing finished goods at exorbitant prices.
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by SEFAGO(m): 9:44am On Feb 10, 2011
Wrong thread
Re: For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 10, 2011
The thread is being derailed by a lot of infantile arguments that are premised on ignorance. If we Nigerians removed petty emotions and looked at issues objectively the sky would surely be our limit

let me just illustrate 2 points why the western countries will continue to do much better than African countries until we change our act

1. Riches are not in resources but in the value added to resources.

Nigeria's main export is crude oil and we export about 2.5m barrels a day. This sells today for $85 a barrell which is about £54

From a barrel of Bonny ligh crude after refining you can get a 73 ltrs of Petrol, 40 litles of diesel amongst others. In the UK the current avg price of petrol and diesel is £1.25 so the selling price on a barrel for both is £141.25 of which £82.49 is TAX

In the course of a year assuming all remain equal and the Nigeria govt receives all the proceeds for oil. Nigeria receives £49bn a year from crude oil and the UK government receives £75bn from the same oil that nigeria produces. So the western govt make even more money than us from the crude oil we produce.

Mind the UK is a large produce of Crude oil. Using 2008 figures nigeria was the 15th largest producer of Crude and the Uk was 18th. Nigeria also imports PMS as our refineries are not working.

2. Tourism and visitors. Everyday about 5 flights (maybe more) leave Nigeria for the united kingdom. These flights carry about 400 passengers. If we conservatively say that each passenger spends about a £1,000. That is £200,000 a day. a year its £73m from Nigeria alone. in 2005 the UK made £14bn from tourism alone

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Post Biafra-what Will Happen To Your Properties/Investment. Prof Charles Soludo / Twitter Activist Is Threatening To Expose Jibrin At 12noon Today / Salary Of State Governors In Nigeria, Salary Of Their Deputies And Commissioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.