Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? (29321 Views)

What Is Your Take On Thanking Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? / Sacked Pregnant Access Bank Cashier Collapses In Lagos After Receiving Letter / Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by EgunMogaji2: 11:07am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:
Is it really necessary to thank your boss after paying (salary) you for job you did?

I always thank my Bosses and customers if they personally handed me a check. It’s courtesy.

I expect same from my employees. If they don’t then I’ll question their integrity and how they relate to our customers.

But then the only people I hire are those that I poached from other companies when I observe good customer etiquette from them wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by RPG2020(m): 11:09am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Via bank and my boss visits often, am his manager

Manager wey nor know he right

So you expect me to call my boss after receiving bank alert for my salary and say thank you sir

Una nor well for this country

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:
Thanks for the responses so far
I got my first ever salary last month (newly employed as the manager)

Others were paid by the cashier, my MD transferred mine via bank

Though he added 3k

Next day he visited, he asked if I received my salary, I answered yes

And thanked him

Just worried if he will term it that am ungrateful

You added a bit more information. My take on this:

1. For a job well done, you have already said thanks when you were hired. Any salary paid is contractual. Whether you say thanks or not, it must be paid, else the contract is breached and nah court remain.

2. If you want to say thanks, it should be limited to the extra funds he paid in, no more. You didn't ask for it, but he gave it to you, maybe in recognition of your dedication to the task at hand. So your thanks should be for the extra money

3. No need to be afraid. Remove fear from your mind and stop what I'll term servility to 'Oga'. I employ people in Naija and I've told them that the day their 'Oga' turns to alerts in my account, that's the day I will ask for it. Call me by my firstname, as I, will you. If you're unhappy, there's the door, you know how you came in.

4. Do you think that the guys who work for Facebook/Google/Amazon/etc thank their boss for their salary? And in terms of conversion, they get paid millions of Naira compared to your salary. I've been given a bonus in my working career and it was in recognition of my going beyond and above the requirements of the role. Boss said thanks for your hard work, here's our thanks, I said thanks for the recognition and money, all done. My normal salary, I simply check my account if it's there on the agreed date and if there, I move on.

5. You may one day become an employer. Think, is this how you would want your employees to be relating with you? You and your oga are already saying thanks. Your job well done is you saying thank you for giving me this opportunity to contribute to the success of your company. Your salary is Oga's way of saying, thank you for proving my decision right in hiring you.

Bonus is Oga's way of saying, guy, thanks o, you too much o. Your oral thanks to this is your side of acknowledging this particular thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 29, 2020
Is it right? yes. is it compulsory ? no necessary? yes. It would be absurd to collect salary especially in cash form without saying something about it even if it is a little joke with your boss like, "I don get alert", "na to eat special meal today oo, thanks boss". But most salary earner go through a lot before getting paid so by the time they earn their salary, it could be too late and thanking their boss will be somehow

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Bahamas95(m): 11:12am On Sep 29, 2020
Not necessary, I worked for it.

Abi dem dash me the money ni? If na dash I fit say thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by jaxxy(m): 11:12am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:
Is it really necessary to thank your boss after paying (salary) you for job you did?

No it’s not at all. Thank you is only out of respect or courtesy u feel they deserve. Has nothing really to do with ur salary u worked hard and even extra hard for bt then he employed u and that shud maybe be Smtn to appreciate. Bt In well structured cooperate world/companies nobody says thank you for their salary unless a raise or promotion.

Or is it a dash/loan/salary advance undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 29, 2020
Thank you for what. I am not saying any thank you oo. We don't even have to talk about it. We will go about our businesses as if nothing happened. Except if my boss did something out of the ordinary, then I'll say thank you.

PS: This is applicable if my salary enters straight into my account every month. But if you pay me by cash, it's only courteous to say thank you after collecting something in person.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by JoshB92: 11:14am On Sep 29, 2020
Depends...
If you pay me more than agreed amount thank you
If you pay me on/before the agreed date thank you
If you always thank me too for doing a great job thank you
If you pay me in cash thank you
If you are a nice person thank you
If you behave as if without your salary am nothing fvck you
If you delayed my salary fvck you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by na2016: 11:15am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

It is not necessary because you worked for your money. But in Nigeria, you have to thank him before they say you are insulting and start oweing you for no reason.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Virginnn(f): 11:15am On Sep 29, 2020
duro4chang:
In private school you must say thank you sir/ma after collecting your salary.
No be lie grin
duro4chang:
In private school you must say thank you sir/ma after collecting your salary.
No be lie

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Originalsly: 11:16am On Sep 29, 2020
It depends. If you receive anything directly from someone.... hand to hand.... then you should say thank you. Indirectly.... as in your salary being deposited in your account and you getting alert .... if it's not a favour....no need for thank you..... unless he gave you a bonus. Did he?... I can bet my life he did not.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by khimz(m): 11:16am On Sep 29, 2020
Well it depends on u. But remember, this is Nigeria �

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 29, 2020
I work in a company, though private limited company, my boss is my in law, I receive my salary through the bank and most time he personally pays me unlike the others that are paid by the accountant through banks also, every time I receive my diary I usually message him that I have received it and thank him for it, not that I did not earn it, but out of respect and appreciation for prompt payment. At this economic recession is good to show appreciation for such payment. Even if I do not thank him it will not change anything but it takes nothing from me if I do so, and am one of the highest ranked staff. Always say thank you.
dosage150:
Thanks for the responses so far
I got my first ever salary last month (newly employed as the manager)

Others were paid by the cashier, my MD transferred mine via bank

Though he added 3k

Next day he visited, he asked if I received my salary, I answered yes

And thanked him

Just worried if he will term it that am ungrateful

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Angelnath(m): 11:17am On Sep 29, 2020
If a thank you wont reduce your self worth then do. In as much as ur salary drop on time.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by sammieguze(m): 11:23am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Yes.
It is very important.
More out of courtesy than respect.
If you ask your subordinate at work to get you a cup of coffee, simple courtesy makes you mumble your thanks even though s/he is doing his/her job.

That's how it works.
It's not all about servitude

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Onnasucs1(m): 11:24am On Sep 29, 2020
He Thanks me when I deliver my job. I always return the gesture when I get paid
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by backbone503(m): 11:27am On Sep 29, 2020
I most times thank people whenever I successfully carryout ANY transactional act with them. Its not about necessity, but personal principle. Doing this wouldn't cheapen or derank anyone.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Rayklean: 11:29am On Sep 29, 2020
Nothing wrong in saying thank you

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by alamin0506(m): 11:31am On Sep 29, 2020
To me I think it's a most, after God, your parents and teachers and think the next person in line Is who so ever that provides your source of livelihood, quote me anywhere who ever provides you with any form of legitimate business (Patronizes you) or employing your service is doing you a favour because their are thousands and one others out their who can do just like you or even better but some how he decides to stick with you. That person deserves your respect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by zoedew: 11:33am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Certainly necessary. He kept his side of the bargain by providing the work you did to earn the salary he thereafter came under an obligation to pay.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by doggedfighter(f): 11:35am On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Am the manager of the company, am just scared of being tag "proud"

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Mypeople2(m): 11:39am On Sep 29, 2020
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
I don't do salary thing, I have people working under me, if any of them thank me after paying them, I will sack the person, I paid you because you offer me a service, if you thank me, it means you don't know your Worth and if you are lazy, you can't work with me for 1hr
There is no need to sack the person ,just softly tell the person " I don't like people thanking me for a job they did .Please don't thank me next time ,after all you worked for it " The person won't appreciate you for anything again

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by ogwuche4u(m): 11:43am On Sep 29, 2020
Nonsense... You don't even understand the law. How can you dedicate your time and energy and still say thank you for the peanuts paid? You are just a ass licker. People like you will be great snitch and I hate snitch undecided
TheManofTomorrow:
A curt thank you wouldn't mean any harm.

In rule 1 law of power;
Never outshine your master; Always make those above you feel comfortably superior.

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by CaseSensitive(m): 11:45am On Sep 29, 2020
Yes if your employer thank you for the job you do for them. If not...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Tatashi: 11:54am On Sep 29, 2020
No!!!! Its wrong.does he or she thank you too for working too hard at the job.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2020
Thank you for the money he gave me
Or for the money I worked for
I don't understand

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Karleb(m): 11:58am On Sep 29, 2020
No. Do they thank you for doing the work?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Annychibest(f): 12:01pm On Sep 29, 2020
I did it to my madam then. Any time I see my salary, I would always send a thank you msg to her.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by ItrendNaija(m): 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2020
It's not a gift, I earned it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Mypeople2(m): 12:03pm On Sep 29, 2020
Diariess:
Because of what? This is absurd. The only time I ever thanked my employer was when I received a bonus in addition to my salary.
See, some of us do it because of the training we had when we were young.Nobody is compelling you to do it .For example, when you buy something from someone and the person gives you the item, you find yourself saying thank you .When you alight from a bus or keke, you find yourself telling the driver thank you when paying for the fare .Do you know some persons still say thank you when they ask for something and the person refused to give to them ?
So it is upbringing and not by compulsion

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Mypeople2(m): 12:04pm On Sep 29, 2020
Annychibest:
I did it to my madam then. Any time I see my salary, I would always send a thank you msg to her.
You be better babe .Wait are you still single ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University / Married Female Staff Of Globacom Refute Claims Of Being Sacked / What Can One Do With N42k Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.