Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? (29325 Views)

What Is Your Take On Thanking Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? / Sacked Pregnant Access Bank Cashier Collapses In Lagos After Receiving Letter / Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by olamimd: 4:40pm On Sep 29, 2020
When I got alert of my first salary, I said thank you to my boss and he was furious. He said I don't have to thank him. All I need to do is to acknowledge receipt of my salary. Since then, I only sent him whatsApp message with "acknowledge receipt of salary".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Lamanii22(f): 4:49pm On Sep 29, 2020
I think it's just courtesy....

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by duro4chang(m): 5:12pm On Sep 29, 2020
adeniyi997:

Then the wife of the owner becomes mummy.
Chai sufferness
You are on point even their children who are still in school are your oga.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by duro4chang(m): 5:15pm On Sep 29, 2020
tunary:
MUST? is it a free salary?
. No job outside. Even one proprietress said teachers are like tissue paper. You can get them at any time at a very cheap cost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by duro4chang(m): 5:18pm On Sep 29, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

well, that's true. everything depends on people.
. salaries are paid into accounts not by hand.. so thank you ma or sir can't be said on credit alert
If you happen to work in a private school, you will understand better.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:37pm On Sep 29, 2020
bukatyne:

Well, since you see your CEO when you receive your salary, a thank you sir/ma is not bad and costs you nothing.

I believe when you deliver on your tasks, they also thank /appreciate/acknowledge you.
Well, no appreciation since I resumed work, when he fault me even when I know am right, I keep the good work going, we are really good, saying thanks really cost nothing
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:44pm On Sep 29, 2020
bluefilm:

Yes na.

You think it's easy to pay someone?

Do you know how many excuses the boss could have come up with just to SUSPEND/DELAY paying you the salary?

A little gratitude will go a long way in showing that you appreciate.

U are absolutely right, its not easy
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:45pm On Sep 29, 2020
badman007:
It’s polite to say thanks,
takes nothing away from you.
Don’t be an idiot
Thank you

Not an idiot anyway
Thanks, it really takes nothing away from anyone to be polite
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2020
AerialMapper:
Absolutely not!

He should thank you for your time and effort because the salary an employer pays can never be enough

I recall some years back when i and 5 other consultants received our paycheck. One came and said we should contribute to buy a watch for the boss. I basically told him if he want to lick the guys ass...he should feel free to do it alone!! I am not contributing for any bullsh*t

More recently, a driver came to tell me thank you when he got paid, i told him not to do it again!

Any boss who demands or expect thanks is an egotistical bastard!

They shouldn't demand for it, it should be the choice of the employee
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2020
Pauladex:
You beg to apply in the first place, saying a million thank you is not enough. keep saying it ...thank you ma, thank your sir. Nigeria is too hard

U are right , cos when one needed a job, he can do anything, afterwards we should still be grateful
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by busomma: 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2020
Just cos the job market is terrible in Nigeria that's why employers of labor feels like they're doing the employees some favor otherwise why should I say thank u to my boss for money I worked for & added more value to the company? It's quid pro quo situation. My boss can kiss my black ass.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 5:50pm On Sep 29, 2020
duro4chang:
If you happen to work in a private school, you will understand better.

I work in private school

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:50pm On Sep 29, 2020
Ratedgang:
People that are saying they won’t thank their boss after payment haven’t actually worked. You need to thank your boss as you may never get the next salary as early as possible and there is nothing you can do about it.... it’s good and ethical to be grateful. I have seen people being promoted in offices because they greet a lot.

I buy your idea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:50pm On Sep 29, 2020
Aforxzy:
It is good to say thank you to your boss after receiving your salary. It's not every employee that has been paid and not everyone is employed too. Just being grateful doesnt cost you anything. I always acknowledge all payments with thanks for services rendered. Be it cash, cheque or transfer. It should be an attitude.

Alright dear, thanks
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 5:59pm On Sep 29, 2020
kress2m1:

You added a bit more information. My take on this:

1. For a job well done, you have already said thanks when you were hired. Any salary paid is contractual. Whether you say thanks or not, it must be paid, else the contract is breached and nah court remain.

2. If you want to say thanks, it should be limited to the extra funds he paid in, no more. You didn't ask for it, but he gave it to you, maybe in recognition of your dedication to the task at hand. So your thanks should be for the extra money

3. No need to be afraid. Remove fear from your mind and stop what I'll term servility to 'Oga'. I employ people in Naija and I've told them that the day their 'Oga' turns to alerts in my account, that's the day I will ask for it. Call me by my firstname, as I, will you. If you're unhappy, there's the door, you know how you came in.

4. Do you think that the guys who work for Facebook/Google/Amazon/etc thank their boss for their salary? And in terms of conversion, they get paid millions of Naira compared to your salary. I've been given a bonus in my working career and it was in recognition of my going beyond and above the requirements of the role. Boss said thanks for your hard work, here's our thanks, I said thanks for the recognition and money, all done. My normal salary, I simply check my account if it's there on the agreed date and if there, I move on.

5. You may one day become an employer. Think, is this how you would want your employees to be relating with you? You and your oga are already saying thanks. Your job well done is you saying thank you for giving me this opportunity to contribute to the success of your company. Your salary is Oga's way of saying, thank you for proving my decision right in hiring you.

Bonus is Oga's way of saying, guy, thanks o, you too much o. Your oral thanks to this is your side of acknowledging this particular thanks.

You said it all
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by dosage150(m): 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2020
olamimd:
When I got alert of my first salary, I said thank you to my boss and he was furious. He said I don't have to thank him. All I need to do is to acknowledge receipt of my salary. Since then, I only sent him whatsApp message with "acknowledge receipt of salary".

This is really helpful
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by bukatyne(f): 6:16pm On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Well, no appreciation since I resumed work, when he fault me even when I know am right, I keep the good work going, we are really good, saying thanks really cost nothing

That is the spirit smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by AerialMapper: 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

They shouldn't demand for it, it should be the choice of the employee

Any employee that does it is an asslicker and doesn’t know his/her worth!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by goodheart02(m): 6:34pm On Sep 29, 2020
TheManofTomorrow:
A curt thank you wouldn't mean any harm.

In rule 1 law of power;
Never outshine your master; Always make those above you feel comfortably superior.

Keep being smart. Nice one

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by duro4chang(m): 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

I work in private school
Good. If it does not happen in your school you must have heard about issues like these from your colleagues who work somewhere else. It does not mean it happens everywhere but then for sure it happens in many schools.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by okoloemmalex(m): 6:43pm On Sep 29, 2020
doggedfighter:
We're sentimental about a lot of things.

This is why employers especially one man business owners always expect employees to bow down and worship after receiving their hard earned salary sometimes even after delayed payment.

Worse is when others are thanking and you don't, you will become an enemy to the boss. cheesy

your response was apt!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by spiralwedge(m): 7:23pm On Sep 29, 2020
This reminds me of my former boss who scolded me for not thanking him for the new printer bought for my office.

Are you kidding me rn?! Inside me, i said Fvck you Sir

Na me get the printer? No be for work we want use am do?

I hate Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Ayt27(m): 7:42pm On Sep 29, 2020
Nuttella:
Why should I thank him for collecting my wages? a worker deserves his wages, did he thank me for the work I did?

Nutella!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 8:16pm On Sep 29, 2020
duro4chang:
Good. If it does not happen in your school you must have heard about issues like these from your colleagues who work somewhere else. It does not mean it happens everywhere but then for sure it happens in many schools.

yeah.. you are correct.. our proprietress is humane

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by stan4guy6(m): 8:35pm On Sep 29, 2020
TheManofTomorrow:
A curt thank you wouldn't mean any harm.

In rule 1 law of power;
Never outshine your master; Always make those above you feel comfortably superior.

that book na my holy book i don't joke with it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by stan4guy6(m): 8:37pm On Sep 29, 2020
kkins25:
what a ridiculous misinterpretation of such a beautiful book....
its no misinterpretation.
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by doggedfighter(f): 8:40pm On Sep 29, 2020
okoloemmalex:

your response was apt!
Daalu
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 8:56pm On Sep 29, 2020
stan4guy6:
that book na my holy book i don't joke with it.

Haha. grin

The book sure contains a lot of sagacious laws.
I know all the laws by heart too
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by stan4guy6(m): 9:15pm On Sep 29, 2020
TheManofTomorrow:

Haha. grin
The book sure contains a lot of sagacious laws. I know all the laws by heart too
it has a direct life application.
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Demaestro09: 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2020
WoundedLamb:
You must be talking about a petty business where cash is handed over to the employee by the business owner at the end of a period. If that's the case, saying 'thanks' is only polite and not necessarily appreciation. Even if the it's the secretary that gives me the cash, I'd still say 'thanks'.

However, salary payment does not always involve the employer and the employee physically coming together to even necessitate any form of conversation. The common thing is that everyone gets alert on a particular day of the month and life goes on.

Take a bottle of ( your favorite drink) for this cool comment
Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by Demaestro09: 10:38pm On Sep 29, 2020
dosage150:

Alright, but the salary is through bank, should I have to call him and thank him or thank him whenever he visits, I feel uncomfortable saying "thank you", he is not doing me a Favour

I say thank you at times not always, even unconsciously. Sometime I don't. She ain't doing me a favor ya know.

But its polite and cool , so I suggest it , after all a simple thank you won't do any harm.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? by TrickyTeeBBN5: 10:46pm On Sep 29, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University / Married Female Staff Of Globacom Refute Claims Of Being Sacked / What Can One Do With N42k Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.