Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,129 members, 7,845,747 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels (10350 Views)

Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) / Lagos Governorship Debate: Candidate Performace Ratings By Premium Times / Ondo State Governorship Debate - Final Round - Live On AIT! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by gwas(m): 8:39am On Mar 04, 2011
BRF clearly stood out among the contestants. His chances are brighter!
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by gwas(m): 8:49am On Mar 04, 2011
*****now playing Wasiu***. . . . . . .

sh'awa la leko, awa la leko ooo,
my people ayaya, we go dance o, ayaya
whether rain dey fall ,

abi sun dey shine,
shao shao, ayaya,
shawa shawa, ayaya
i dey dance to your wasiu.
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by bechex(m): 9:02am On Mar 04, 2011
BRF Flawed them all, and Baba Randle displayed childish tendencies. I had fun watching it. fashola is still my man

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 04, 2011
boladez:

It was a mismatch , total mismatch, Fashola should have moderated the debate rather than joining in.

I feel he was too harsh on Randle, the old man was apparently struggling to keep his thoughts together and was so bitter about various personal issues. Fashola should have helped the guy by massaging his old ego so that he would die a not to bitter fellow. Fashola came to strong on the baba unfortunately.

Life is really beyond unhealthy competition.

Great and inciteful debate but it's quite clear Fashola is an eloquent and hands on leader churning out statistics and names of streets effortlessly, I just love the guy. The other contestants don't have anything to offer lagosians. Fashola has challenged my leadership skills and I see myself as incompetent compared to BRF

Same thoughts here. But then I think the old man brought it upon himself. He seemed stuck up and in need of validation of some sort. I couldn't stomach his pompous and over-bloated sense of importance, probably because his surname is 'Randle'; it just rankles.

Like you, BRF also challenged my leadership skills and oratorical prowess. I used to think I was quite eloquent and persuasive in speech-making and writing, but listening to BRF infused me with serious self-doubt. I really have work to do. I can't help but love the man. Really proud of him, as I'm sure his wife, family, commissioners, aides, and loved ones are too.

Damn!
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by EkoIle1: 9:20am On Mar 04, 2011
I don't think the debate encounter was random or an accident, they've obviously been pissing each other off for some time especially the way the BRF spewed the man's address juts to let the old man know he's familiar with his shenanigans,
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by jafextra(m): 10:20am On Mar 04, 2011
Fashola is too hard on Baba Randu, he did not have to revealed the reason why the Baba want to see him. Anyway Baba sorry on his behalf
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by leonaidas(m): 10:39am On Mar 04, 2011
did u see dat man who wants to build houses without cement, lmao @ dat gbagaun. and baba randle; i felt sorry 4 him.
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by Thosen(m): 12:19pm On Mar 04, 2011
"The issue is, the age of your ideas" Fashola (2011)
very apt!
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by AYOGHANDI: 12:30pm On Mar 04, 2011
Baba Randle failed to answer almost all the questions posed at him, instead he was delving into history telling us how the late ZIK named SURULERE. He was always referring to either JAKANDE or the Late ZIK, he failed woefully to articulate his points. The man and the APGA candidate are too analogue for a modern state like Lagos. Their ideas have really expired as Fashola rightly said. How on earth would one explain someone seeking election into a public office refusing to shake hands with one of the contestants because he felt he had been insulted ?? That man is not fit for public office. At his level, he ought to have known that public office is like a refuse dump, you must accept all dirts thrown at you. His expired ego really failed him. Dr. Dosunmu really impressed me, he proved himself but Fashola carried the day.
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by chubbytee: 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2011
that randle of a guy thins its age they use in ruling,
if that the case then i will like to nominate my
Grandfather, after all he is 95 this year, so i believe
randle would step down for him grin

also, a major point to note
Lagos enjoyed most when she had leaders;
YOUNG dashing MILITARY OFFICERS like
Mobolaji Johnson
Buba Marwa
Mike Ahigbe
Olagunsoye Oyinlola

Young Civillian like
Jakande

so you see why we need a young blood to rule lagos!
gentlemen and dear ladies, vote B.R.F. for governor of Lagos State 2011.
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 04, 2011
yipeeeeee
i made front page
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by mannygee: 3:20pm On Mar 04, 2011
''I sincerely admit the fact that my co-contestants are more experienced (in public service) and aged than me but what we are saying here is neither their age nor experience but the AGE OF THEIR EXPERIENCE''. Gov.Babatunde Raji Fashola closing remark at the Governorship Debate organized by Channel TV in Lagos.

Fashola
Good Self-composure, Good Oratory and articulation, Nice dressing, Good public speaking character, . Score card- 8/10.

J.K Randle
I used to adore this great fellow member of my professional institute (ICAN) before. But, his lack of self-composure, poor public-speaking character, poor political inclination, Childish reaction to BRF's 'strategic political statements' amongst other things shows that private sector practice is a different ball game from public service (politics) . Score Card - 2/10

I need not comment on the other contestants because they did not stage any commentable or remarkable 'show'
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by tlops(m): 3:52pm On Mar 04, 2011
Papa Randle is boiling, I am just watching the prågram
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by cosmas4u(m): 4:07pm On Mar 04, 2011
Rebuild Nigeria for a lasting future, Be a web Activists
9jawatchman support true federalism in Nigeria states. what of you?
Join us today. Create your free blog or join as a contributing member. of course its free,

www.9jawatchman.com
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by cosmas4u(m): 4:57pm On Mar 04, 2011
Rebuild Nigeria for a lasting future, Be a web Activists
9jawatchman support true federalism in Nigeria states. what of you?
Join us today. Create your free blog or join as a contributing member. of course its free,

www.9jawatchman.com
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by mrofficial(m): 7:19am On Mar 05, 2011
The problem is not about their age, but the age of their ideas. - Gov Fashola

05:15

07:40 To see Randle refusing Fashola's handshake. LOOOL. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaPnmDVbjA&p=CB8AF34310E9D59D
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by ysg4real(m): 1:01pm On Mar 05, 2011
Thats really a shame, i thought he said the politics of lagos is not a do or die affair ?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9qEXNnKb7ew

mr.official:

05:15

07:40 To see Randle refusing Fashola's handshake. LOOOL. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAaPnmDVbjA&p=CB8AF34310E9D59D
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by folem: 9:37am On Mar 07, 2011
http://saharareporters.com/article/governor-fashola-lied

[size=16pt]Governor Fashola Lied[/size]

Investigations  have  shown that Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state lied when he said that the  list of  projects, cost and details of contractors are displayed on the website of Lagos state Tenders board.

Various checks  on the website of Lagos state tenders board(http://www.stb.lagosstate.gov.ng)did not show contracts awarded neither did it show cost of contracts awarded.

Governor Fashola made the statement at the Channels Television organised Lagos state Governorship candidates’ debate held on March 2, in Lagos.

Fashola had responded to an accusation by Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) Governorship candidate ,Dr. Adegboyega Dosunmu that the state contract award procedure is not transparent.

Dosunmu had alleged: “Every Wednesday, the Federal Executive Council publishes the list of contract awards and their costs. That is the level of transparency we expect in Lagos also," he said, challenging Mr. Fashola to publish the list of all the projects the state government has done and their cost.”

In his response,Governor Fashola said: “Award of projects is done by the State Tenders Board and the list of these projects, the cost, and details of contractors are on the website of that Board.”

The five governorship candidates for Lagos state where at Channels TV last night for a debate over their plans for the state.

The debate, which was aired live, had  governor, Babatunde Fashola of the Action Congress of Nigeria(CAN); Adegboyega Dosumu of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP); Dominic Agboola of the All Progressive Grand Alliance(APGA); Yomi Tokoya of the All Nigeria Peoples Party(ANPP) and Jaiye Randle,  of Social Democratic Mega Party(SDMP).
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by chubbytee: 10:03am On Mar 07, 2011
this is the type of debate that would make obasanjo say
"I DEY LAUGH"
and atiku will also say
"I DEY LAUGH TOO"
gentlemen and ladies of nairaland
i Chubby-Tee say
"I DEY LAUGH THREE" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by BabaO2: 11:15am On Mar 07, 2011
Baba Randle failed to answer almost all the questions posed at him, instead he was delving into history telling us how the late ZIK named SURULERE. He was always referring to either JAKANDE or the Late ZIK, he failed woefully to articulate his points. The man and the APGA candidate are too analogue for a modern state like Lagos. Their ideas have really expired as Fashola rightly said. How on earth would one explain someone seeking election into a public office refusing to shake hands with one of the contestants because he felt he had been insulted ?? That man is not fit for public office. At his level, he ought to have known that public office is like a refuse dump, you must accept all dirts thrown at you. His expired ego really failed him. Dr. Dosunmu really impressed me, he proved himself but Fashola carried the day.
sentiment apart, and fyi am not a partisan politician. Any miscreant cum area boy could say what dosumu said that day.
go and listen to the debate again and tell how many times he used "aggressive tax payment", "public sevice for 24 years" etc
Somebody aspiring to govern lagos state was asked by a little student "what would you do to solve educational problem in lagos state". The answer Dosumu could only give was  "i know what to do".
common, shouting and repeating the expression shows he lacks the required  mental capacity.
Dont come back and say the guy has phd, and he attended 3 universities. such statement can only cajole illiterates. I checked his profile he got BA public admin frome one university, msc public admin from one bla bla.
His records and display at that debate wasnt that impressive to be frank. Look at the ACN guy, addressing issues, and displaying uncommon use of expressions.
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by mcgboye(m): 11:54am On Mar 07, 2011
The Lagos guber debate, while confirming the dearth of quality opposition, also led credence to the belief that PDP will never capture Lagos. How on earth could they have presented Dosumu? So PDP, after 8yrs, still cannot source for someone who will give ACN a good fight for their money.for me, it was the key learning point from the debate. PDP has lost it. Dosumu? That guy did nothing at the debate to win extra votes.
He also said he wasn't aware of any court injunction preventing him from campaigning. The following day, the court ruled that he was free to continue his campaign and he celebrated it, 24hrs after claiming he was ignorant of the earlier injunction. Governor indeed!
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by jajaopobo(m): 9:30am On Mar 13, 2011
Interesting discussion here. A lot has been said about how Dosunmu's brightest moment was asking Fashola to explain why the incumbent govt was building the Lekki - Aajah road at a cost of N1b per km. But let's really examine that statement really - sure the amount sounds really high, but I suspect Dosunmu may have rather displayed his ignorance than brilliance by asking that question because he did not benchmark that cost against any known internationally accredited standard or a comparative project in any part of the world. So who is to say that the cost is unusual just because it sounds high?

In fact, I blame BRF for not challenging him on that issue, because a precursory look at a report on the WSDOT lists certain factors as affecting the cost of a highway which they say varies quite widely. These factors include:
• Structures and interchanges: Projects that have structures and interchanges have a much higher cost per lane mile. The road in question may not have any interchanges, but it does have structures (toll gates, foot bridges and a fence). It also has a lot of side roads constructed for access to buldings cut off by the fence.
• Right of way: This may not apply as the govt already owned the right of way
• Environmental impacts: Not sure how much of this was built into the design, but I'm aware a lot of work went into detrminng the impact of widening the bride at Mobil, etc.
• Existing soil and site conditions: Differing soil and site conditions also have an impact on the cost per lane mile. This is a major point here due to the silty and water-logged nature of Lekki and is sure to impact very heavily on the cost.

Now to look at a few international exapmles for comparison and see how the Lekki-ajah expansion unit cost really fares. First of all Dosunmu claims the road is costing N1b/km. Let's assume this is true, then the figure comes to approx. $6.7m/km at today's exchange rate. So a few examples below.

• SR 18 widening in rural King County (no interchanges) - about $24.5 million per mile = $15.4m per km
• I-5 widening in Vancouver (2 interchanges) – about $20.2 million per mile = $12.6m per km
• I-5 adding single HOV lanes from Tukwila to Fife (solid ground) – about $11.2 million per mile = $7m per km

Even a sample of responses from other discussion forums (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=856330) on the internet yield the following answers:
• $ 14 million or € 11 million per kilometer, seems quite standard - ChrisZwolle from Holland
• In Poland it's € 6-10 mln ($8.3 - 13.9m) on average, although it gets to as much as € 20-25 mln ($28 - 34.7m) in heavily-urbanized areas - Majestic from Poland
• In a developing country like Ireland, the costs are on average $10 million a kilometer,

It would appear that the quoted unit cost fares favourably with comparable international projects, Of course this is not completely accurate as it would require detailed matching of the circumstances and details of each project being compared. This is something which I may not be able to do but which one would certainly have expected from a governorship candidate of no less a party as PDP with so many people working on his campaign. I guess the real question is: is this how unprofessional he plans to be if elected?
Re: Lagos State Governorship Debate On Channels by ekubear1: 9:36am On Mar 13, 2011
^-- Good post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted / Bomb Attacks In Maiduguri Injure JTF Members / Toyin Saraki Appointed Special Advisor To Independent Advisory Group Of WHO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.