Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally (8063 Views)

BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read / Bomb Blast Kills 3 In Jalingo / Breaking News: Fresh Bomb Blast Kills 50 In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by jmaine: 2:27pm On Mar 07, 2011
9ijaMan:

You are either too young or too naive or both.
Pat Utomi is not known to have managed anything else successfully. You should also not get too lazy researching to research candidates who aspire to for leadership position. Was it not this same Pat Utomi under whom Volkswagen crashed when he was COO of the company. He's been chairman of the Economic forum for ND, and what has he been able to achieve. There is a huge difference between a technocrat who makes a lot of noise but achieves nothing compared to Technocrats whose policies yield instant results.
Would any sane Nigerian compare a Pat Utomi with technocrats such as Okonjo Iweala, Soludo or even Sanusi Lamido Sanusi? You can't even compare him with the likes of Fola Adeola.

It boils down to the same thing, it's not about being a technocrat but about what the individual has achieved. We judge people by what they've achieved in whatever capacity they find themselves.

I hope you are satisfied now. If you need more info about Pat Utomi, Google Search is there for you. Use your brain and stop being lazy!

Thanks for that little piece of insight you gave . You claim am too lazy to do simple research, fine. But did you research your Pat Utomi Volkswagen claims properly before you began spewing your popular accusation of " Beer parlour and Amala joint rumour" on the air.  Please assist me to help you remove that false and appalling judgmental toga you so used against GEJ that is now being transferred to Prof. Pat Utomi who offers much on the table than your pet project " trying to force Buhari on people as the Messiah". i would like you to educate yourself on this article anchored by the Prof himself on the Volkswagen ignorant accusation :-

http://www.lagostimes.com/2011/01/16/utomi-and-volkswagen-of-nigeria-2/

But just to make sure people like you don't escape reading for your sake, i have decided to paste the article here so that your likes will stop playing the smear politics just because you want to force some archaic candidates down our throats.

PLEASE ENDEAVOR TO READ AND THEN YOU CAN TALK WISELY AS YOU ALWAYS CLAIM TO BE.

EACH time people, out of mischief, or ignorance, raise my Volkswagen of Nigeria experience as a negative in my career, I am amazed at the ease with which people expose themselves to be showed up as ignorant and, sometimes, to being humiliated. Those who have tried it face to face at public events have walked away with bruises as the facts I will restate here, show. The amazing thing about this strange matter of Volkswagen is that it is for me the biggest manifestation of God’s favour to me as a decision maker.  But first the facts.

I joined Volkswagen of Nigeria in 1986 as Corporate  Affairs Manager. Before I joined, the Germans were already planning to pull out, given frustrations with the Nigerian government. You can read an interview in Europe’s Manager Magazine in 1987 by the former MD of Volkswagen of Nigeria Klaus von Bothmer. Indeed the head-hunting that brought me to VWN followed riots in the factory which weakened the commitment of VWAG who had waited years for the government to pay its second capital call of less than 80 million Naira.

Within two weeks of my joining the company Nigeria announced it was embarking on a Structural Adjustment Programme. In my view, assembly operations of an Import Substitution Industrialization Strategy like Nigeria was pursuing had no chance of surviving unless there was a quick change of strategy that focused on areas we were competitive in as an economy. I said so openly and wrote an opinion piece in This Week magazine predicting the demise of companies like VWN.

Few had an understanding of the point I was making. Some actually accused me of not defending the company I had just joined. I dared then to predict the de-industrialization that has since happened. One of those who understood the point I was making about redirecting competitive manufacturing in the direction export led industrialization and getting companies like VWN to focus on producing components in which Nigeria was endowed to compete in was then CBN Deputy Governor Victor Odozi. His call to commend my courage remains one of the high points of my involvement with the debate on the direction Nigeria’s then much troubled economy should take.

I would move up quickly from Corporate Affairs manager to Deputy Managing Director. In that position I tried to persuade the board that my view of the future of the company was in the VW Group assigning to VWN the business of producing one or two rubber components in the cars for deployment into the global supply chain of the company.

In my view that would create hundreds of thousands of jobs in Nigeria and fetch us foreign exchange income that could compete with crude oil, as Nigeria had one of the best yields per hectare in the world. I even made the presentation on this at the very first Nigerian economic summit in 1993 with then Michelin MD Jean Claude Deithel. Just as Michelin got fed up with the lack of seriousness of policy and eventually shut their factory in Nigeria, the VW people politely told me my country was not serious enough to risk such an ordinarily reasonable strategy.
Interestingly, one of the people who interviewed me at the time was a Professor of Economics and Director of the Centre for African Economies at Oxford, Paul Collier. Three years ago UNIDO commissioned Collier to study China’s rapid industrialization and what Africa could learn from it. At the end of the study Collier told me that China had done precisely what I had recommended Nigeria do with companies like VWN. The consequence for China was that one local government in China produces 75 per cent of all the burtons in the world. The Nnewi, Aba or Kano clusters could easily have gone the same way had someone paid attention to me.

At an occasion where I discussed Nigeria’s unfortunate de-industrialization and job creation, a few years ago, I talked about my suggestions in 1988 and an American Labour Economist who had been on assignment to the BPE in Abuja said to me that my 1988 ideas were the stuff Nobel Prizes in Economics were made of. When I told him some poorly informed people actually think that run was a poor one and a basis for insulting me he laughed so much he nearly fell off his chair. Welcome to public discussion in underdeveloped environments.

What actually amuses me about these remarks is that many who make them are totally without clue about the times they discuss. One who raised it on a day I was in sour mood heard enough of what he did not know that he felt obliged to write a letter of apology and bring it himself, saying he was an undergraduate at the time with very little understanding of the issues. As I told him, my real puzzle is how if Pat Utomi was responsible for end of CKD assembly at VWN, the fact that it came two years after I served out my term and left on my own notwithstanding, who was responsible in Steyr and NTM and almost all of manufacturing that once contributed nearly 13 per cent of GDP but today contributes less than three per cent of GDP. Surely we would have to blame all the expatriate and Nigerian executives for the collapse of manufacturing.

Truth is that my struggle to move policy down the track that would have shaped a more prosperous future anchored on comparative advantage from value chains of factor endowments were not part of my remit as an executive at VWN and was really the outcome of share grace and force of personality. As spare tyre (deputy), with full management authority domiciled in the foreign technical partner, I should be of as much consequence in anything as the Deputy Governor of a State in Nigeria. People like Air Vice Marshal Mohammed Yahaya who are still around acknowledge like many of the former German executives my leadership role in keeping the company around long past the demise time forecast by Mr. von Bothmer at the time I was joining the company.

Sometimes I wish decisions I made could be found related to where the industry is. I would acknowledge them as part of my failings from which I can fall forward. As one who believes in a great return on experience for failed effort I have never shied away from acknowledging failure. This particular subject is therefore a source of irritation because it is spurious and baseless and a great paradox because I am more proud of the choices I made back then than most things I have done since.
[quote][/quote]

Now back to your points.

it's interesting to see Soludo in your list of renowned technocrats, so should we say that Soludo was a failure considering what the Sanusi storm unveiled contrary to the all is well approach and the vote of confidence he passed on the indicted bank chiefs publicly. It appears in your quest to find faults in what you perceive wrong, you ended up messing yourself up. You even mentioned  Utomi being the chairman of the economic submit and nothing to show for it, my friend how absurd could you get, his presence is to inject his expertise in the project of devising economic policies that will create wealth for the people of the region and also dissolve their over dependence on oil proceeds by diversifying their local economy. Good policies are only felt by the populace when they are being implemented and not just when they are on the drawing table, so how did he become a failure just because the submit blueprint hasn't taken off yet.

Pat Utomi is a better proponent than your candidate Buhari who obviously have nothing upstairs to offer than talking and acting tough when what we need is real direction in the economy.

Please say something better next time. thanks for your efforts anyway
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by 9ijaMan: 5:02pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^Perhaps you have been too excited in you copy/paste attitude that you failed to catch the flow.
Abeg use your brains to list in concise terms devoid of any form of religious bigotry and ethnic sentiments to tell us what how GEJ and/or Pat Utomi has/have improved the life of the average.
List projects Utomi was actively involved in which has reduced the burden placed on Nigerians.
List the projects GEJ has actively completed which has produced positive impacts on the life of the average Nigerian.

If you no know the answer, try the internet again o!

By the way, where is the same volkswwagen today? I suppose in the same ruins which Pat left it!
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by jmaine: 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2011
9ijaMan:

^^^Perhaps you have been too excited in you copy/paste attitude that you failed to catch the flow.
Abeg use your brains to list in concise terms devoid of any form of religious bigotry and ethnic sentiments to tell us what how GEJ and/or Pat Utomi has/have improved the life of the average.
List projects Utomi was actively involved in which has reduced the burden placed on Nigerians.
List the projects GEJ has actively completed which has produced positive impacts on the life of the average Nigerian.

If you no know the answer, try the internet again o!

By the way, where is the same volkswwagen today? I suppose in the same ruins which Pat left it!

To refresh your conspicuous stale and week brain cells, i wish to remind you that my question was about the alternative to the " DumB" Jonathan ( Not involving GEJ at all), probing out why Pat Utomi is not considered as a better alternative than your brainless kind, Buhari.

Now talking about Utomi :- Pat Utomi have never being given the opportunity to administer billions of naira for developmental projects just like what Buhari had with the aid of the tyrannical Abacha .Pat did not have that opportunity not because he was not capable, but he is not in the caucus of those who hold sway to the Nigerian political power terrain in Nigeria. Am very sure with his level of intelligence i.e referring to Pat, he would have done better with the PTDF mine than that perceived lopsided projects Buhari embarked upon. Mr Pat Utomi , irrespective of having any major political appointment has proffered advice and opinions on moving the Nigeria nation as a whole and is also a source of encouragement to aspiring youth who attend his seminars on self believe and development, what about his talk shows on TV. Guy, where have you been all this while, you think Nigeria is all about news and update on nairaland, that is a poor mindset you have got.

Apart from the PTDF largess Abacha bestowed on Buhari to manage which he has being accused based on the nature of his national implementation percentage, often considered to be in favour of the Northern Region, What meaningful action or advice has he ever given or done after that PTDF stint.

An honorable man knows when to keep quiet when he has nothing tangible to say . Please don't try too hard to smear the Man Pat Utomi. you luck is with being Anti Jonathan . You don't even know why you support your man other than he is a disciplinarian . . is that all he has to offer, backing out commands . what a pity.
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by 9ijaMan: 8:10pm On Mar 07, 2011
jmaine:

To refresh your conspicuous stale and week brain cells, i wish to remind you that my question was about the alternative to the " DumB" Jonathan ( Not involving GEJ at all), probing out why Pat Utomi is not considered as a better alternative than your brainless kind, Buhari.

Now talking about Utomi :- Pat Utomi have never being given the opportunity to administer billions of naira for developmental projects just like what Buhari had with the aid of the tyrannical Abacha .Pat did not have that opportunity not because he was not capable, but he is not in the caucus of those who hold sway to the Nigerian political power terrain in Nigeria. Am very sure with his level of intelligence i.e referring to Pat, he would have done better with the PTDF mine than that perceived lopsided projects Buhari embarked upon. Mr Pat Utomi , irrespective of having any major political appointment has proffered advice and opinions on moving the Nigeria nation as a whole and is also a source of encouragement to aspiring youth who attend his seminars on self believe and development, what about his talk shows on TV. Guy, where have you been all this while, you think Nigeria is all about news and update on nairaland, that is a poor mindset you have got.

Apart from the PTDF largess Abacha bestowed on Buhari to manage which he has being accused based on the nature of his national implementation percentage, often considered to be in favour of the Northern Region, What meaningful action or advice has he ever given or done after that PTDF stint.

An honorable man knows when to keep quiet when he has nothing tangible to say . Please don't try too hard to smear the Man Pat Utomi. you luck is with being Anti Jonathan . You don't even know why you support your man other than he is a disciplinarian . . is that all he has to offer, backing out commands . what a pity.

Firstly I'll apologize for counting you amongst the dumbos behind GEJ, and that's about all you'll get!

I'll advice you to smoke less of what makes you feel so high. I asked you what impact Pat Utomi has had on the life of average Nigerian and the best you are able to come up with are those m'oronic excuses like "Pat did not have that opportunity not because he was not capable, but he is not in the caucus of those who hold sway to the Nigerian political power terrain in Nigeria".
That's one of the lamest excuses I've seen in a long while. How many news publications has your beloved Pat put forward to advice any government on how to move the nation forward?
How come we only hear about him every election cycle?
Apparently your grain of rice sized brain believes he has to be handling billions before he would be able to contribute towards improving the state of the poor masses.

Abeg tell us how many times the late Gani Fawehinmi took part in any government? How many times was Gani opportuned to control billions on Naira? Yet the achievement of your Pat Utomi pales into insignificance in comparison to Gani's.

If I get your point correctly, Pat needs to be given the opportunity to chop after which he can now develop the skills to touch people's lives. Abeg go sidon!

About why I support Buhari, yes he's an upright and a very credible candidate. He's got the sort of qualities I look for in a leader. A selfless individual who's goal is to serve his nation and fight corruption with just as much vigor. Buhari is the type whose leadership style entails getting the right people for the job. He's not a talker but a down to earth doer. It's on record to date, in and out of office he towers way higher than the rest the pack. Perhaps you need to dig into his past long before he became the governor of the north eastern state. He led and still leads an exemplary life.

If you chose Pat Utomi, it's your vote and I do not give a rats azz about how you cast it. Apparently Pat is the best candidate yet he's terribly unpopular. I suppose you are smarter than the million of Nigerians who are unable to phantom what you dear Pat stands for!
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by jmaine: 12:55pm On Mar 08, 2011
9ijaMan:

Firstly I'll apologize for counting you amongst the dumbos behind GEJ, and that's about all you'll get!

I'll advice you to smoke less of what makes you feel so high. I asked you what impact Pat Utomi has had on the life of average Nigerian and the best you are able to come up with are those m'oronic excuses like "Pat did not have that opportunity not because he was not capable, but he is not in the caucus of those who hold sway to the Nigerian political power terrain in Nigeria".
That's one of the lamest excuses I've seen in a long while. How many news publications has your beloved Pat put forward to advice any government on how to move the nation forward?
How come we only hear about him every election cycle?
Apparently your grain of rice sized brain believes he has to be handling billions before he would be able to contribute towards improving the state of the poor masses.

Abeg tell us how many times the late Gani Fawehinmi took part in any government? How many times was Gani opportuned to control billions on Naira? Yet the achievement of your Pat Utomi pales into insignificance in comparison to Gani's.

If I get your point correctly, Pat needs to be given the opportunity to chop after which he can now develop the skills to touch people's lives. Abeg go sidon!

About why I support Buhari, yes he's an upright and a very credible candidate. He's got the sort of qualities I look for in a leader. A selfless individual who's goal is to serve his nation and fight corruption with just as much vigor. Buhari is the type whose leadership style entails getting the right people for the job. He's not a talker but a down to earth doer. It's on record to date, in and out of office he towers way higher than the rest the pack. Perhaps you need to dig into his past long before he became the governor of the north eastern state. He led and still leads an exemplary life.

If you chose Pat Utomi, it's your vote and I do not give a rats azz about how you cast it. Apparently Pat is the best candidate yet he's terribly unpopular. I suppose you are smarter than the million of Nigerians who are unable to phantom what you dear Pat stands for!

My friend stop running around in circles all in the name of winning an argument, Gani is a social activist in the same stead as Festus Keyamo and Femi falana while Pat Utomi is an economist. so those two all satisfy a particular niche in the society and they all did their own bit to speak to encourage good governance and sound economic policies. Just because he doesn't appear in the news to shout and incite a crowd now makes him not active. Can you please show me where Pat was indicted in any financial mess even as we speak ,kindly apply some brain power before you utter a word. How can you be so judgmental, yet you despise people calling Buhari an Islamic extremist, a sharia proponent and a heartless dictator. It means you are just what you abuse others of. So what has Buhari done for the populace than come out every four years to compete ? It will be informative to me cos am receptive to learning.

NIgeria is different from News and update from Nairaland.com . be informed and don't allow your hyped feeling of knowing it all push you to the realm of ridiculing yourself. Am not against your choosing who to canvass for but against your pushing your choice to our face as the real deal with aggression and abuse as a means.
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by 9ijaMan: 5:24pm On Mar 08, 2011
jmaine:

My friend stop running around in circles all in the name of winning an argument, Gani is a social activist in the same stead as Festus Keyamo and Femi falana while Pat Utomi is an economist. so those two all satisfy a particular niche in the society and they all did their own bit to speak to encourage good governance and sound economic policies. Just because he doesn't appear in the news to shout and incite a crowd now makes him not active. Can you please show me where Pat was indicted in any financial mess even as we speak ,kindly apply some brain power before you utter a word. How can you be so judgmental, yet you despise people calling Buhari an Islamic extremist, a sharia proponent and a heartless dictator. It means you are just what you abuse others of. So what has Buhari done for the populace than come out every four years to compete ? It will be informative to me cos am receptive to learning.

NIgeria is different from News and update from Nairaland.com . be informed and don't allow your hyped feeling of knowing it all push you to the realm of ridiculing yourself. Am not against your choosing who to canvass for but against your pushing your choice to our face as the real deal with aggression and abuse as a means.

Apparently in your world of illusions Buhari has done nothing yet he has a lot more follower-ship than 100,000 Pat Utomis of this world. Your case is well understood since youwere either too young to know how effective Buhari's policies on economy and social justice were when he led the country. Like a typical Nigerian when bereaved of ideas he'll simply answer a question with another question.
Abeg continue to follow your Pat Utomi and leave us with our Buhari. At least Pat can boast on his CV that he contested in two presidential elections and failed to gather up to 100,000 votes on both occasions out of over 100 million votes (on both occasions).
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by jmaine: 2:02am On Mar 09, 2011
9ijaMan:

Apparently in your world of illusions Buhari has done nothing yet he has a lot more follower-ship than 100,000 Pat Utomis of this world. Your case is well understood since youwere either too young to know how effective Buhari's policies on economy and social justice were when he led the country. Like a typical Nigerian when bereaved of ideas he'll simply answer a question with another question.
Abeg continue to follow your Pat Utomi and leave us with our Buhari. At least Pat can boast on his CV that he contested in two presidential elections and failed to gather up to 100,000 votes on both occasions out of over 100 million votes (on both occasions).

Where you drinking, dizzy or tipsy when you wrote the emboldened part. My God , you are even worse than i thought . you can now have the honors of ending this discussion cos it's been long since i saw a glaring lying attempt just to defend an idol . Wonderful .
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by 9ijaMan: 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2011
jmaine:

Where you drinking, dizzy or tipsy when you wrote the emboldened part. My God , you are even worse than i thought . you can now have the honors of ending this discussion cos it's been long since i saw a glaring lying attempt just to defend an idol . Wonderful .
You've just confirmed your naivety. Apparently you were still in your pampers when Buhari led the nation as a Military head of state.
Re: Bomb blast kills three near Nigeria election rally by wevote: 7:18am On Mar 21, 2011
I think what we need to do in this election is to guard our votes, report incidences during the elections and collate our own result so INEC cannot give us a rigged result. Visit www.reclaimnaija.com for details of how to join the movement for a successful election in N?igeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Awolowo's Biafra Speech Explained / Ghana Broke Closes Embassies / Picture Of A Black Child As A Zoo Attraction In Belgium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.