Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,738 members, 7,813,427 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey (1163 Views)

Nigerians No Longer Happy, Drops In Global Happiness Ranking – VanguardNgr / March 28 Poll: Survey Rates Jonathan Ahead Of Buhari / Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by 197(f): 4:52am On Mar 06, 2011
A new study of more than 65 countries published in the UK's New Scientist magazine suggests that the happiest people in the world live in Nigeria - and the least happy, in Romania.
People in Latin America, Western Europe and North America are happier than their counterparts in Eastern Europe and Russia.

HAPPINESS AROUND THE WORLD
The happiest
Nigeria
Mexico
Venezuela
El Salvador
Puerto Rico
The least happy
Russia
Armenia
Romania
Source: New Scientist

Nigeria has the highest percentage of happy people followed by Mexico, Venezuela, El Salvador and Puerto Rico, while Russia, Armenia and Romania have the fewest.
But factors that make people happy may vary from one country to the next with personal success and self-expression being seen as the most important in the US, while in Japan, fulfilling the expectations of family and society is valued more highly.

Culled from ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3157570.stm )
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by ismaeel86(m): 4:56am On Mar 06, 2011
i dont believe dis at all.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by 197(f): 5:01am On Mar 06, 2011
ismaeel86:

cheesy cheesy

the story is true thou

despite the hunger,anger and everything nigeria sticks together
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by Acidosis(m): 5:05am On Mar 06, 2011
Its true. Money is not a real source of happiness
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by Tingles(m): 7:10am On Mar 06, 2011
Nigerian politicians are extremely happy, the masses are always frowning. Does poverty, unemployment and low standard of living make people happy? The research was rigged.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by obowunmi(m): 7:25am On Mar 06, 2011
I agree with Tingles the survey was rigged ---- being extremely religious or not missing church every sunday is no sign of happiness ---- don't they read about the number of Nigerians who attempt to swim from North Africa to Spain --- if folks were happy, they'd stay right where they are. "Happiness" and "real happiness" are two different things.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by Ikengawo: 8:10am On Mar 06, 2011
Nigerians that leave nigeria do it for money purposes. I've never met an unhappy nigerian. How maqny ppl in naija are depressed, lonely, has low self esteem, or commits suicide? Compare that to the other countries on the list
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by obowunmi(m): 5:24pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^^^ suffering and shmiling is NOT happiness.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by obowunmi(m): 7:31pm On Mar 07, 2011
I have to conclude that you are an illiterate.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by buzugee(m): 7:36pm On Mar 07, 2011
ismaeel86:

but you would believe it if they said nigeria is poverty ridden and disease ridden. right ? i ought to come to your house and slap the gbegiri out of yo azzzz angry
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by buzugee(m): 7:38pm On Mar 07, 2011
Ikengawo:

your father.

Anyways i used to watch a nigeran man with no legs that would dance at events.
This guy was popular among the community, people treated him as an equal and he even had a girlfriend.

In america he would be sitting in his room crying for an entire life time and people would be depressed to see him. In nigeria when he came by everyone exclaimed loudly and welcomed him

this is just a small example of how nigeria's culture makes ppl happy.
there are a lot of internet nerds that are dramatic online and describe nigeria is 'suffering' because they're ignorant and attention seeking, but they can't describe a moment of depression, sorrow for self, self hate, or contemplation of suicide they had when they were in Nigeria.

It's to the point that at Nigerian funerals people are happy, dancing, eating and celebrating the person's life.

in the US you die and the 2 people that cared about you come and throw a rose at you and cry.

a country with happy funerals is no where near suffering
well said
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by redsun(m): 8:03pm On Mar 07, 2011
There could be a connection bt alcholism and sadness.Nigeria on average don't drink and that might explain their optimism even in d face abject misery,unlike d socalled developed world miserable alchoholic dwellers,ie russians and to great extent,brits.
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by saintneo(m): 8:32pm On Mar 07, 2011
[size=18pt]OLD JUNK[/size]

Page last updated at 11:08 GMT, Thursday, 2 October 2003 12:08 UK
Re: Nigeria Tops Happiness Survey by precision7: 11:36pm On Mar 07, 2011
I'm not surprised, atleast Fela don use am sing"Everyday my pple dey inside bus, sufferin & smilin",

(1) (Reply)

Flood Threat: Meteorological Agency (nimet) Forecasts Heavy Rains In Lagos / Who Is Afriad Of Captain Idris Wada? / Is There Seperation Of Power In The Nigerian Government?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.