Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

The Country Should Be Divided. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Country Should Be Divided. (1212 Views)

Do You Think This Country Should Be Divided For Peace's Sake? / b / Should Nigeria Be Divided? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Country Should Be Divided. by Rhino5dm: 8:39am On Mar 13, 2011
Oil has been more like curse than blessing, over the years government at diffrent level have turn their back on capital/human development.

The political class is cashing on the mind of the populace by instilling fear of the unknown and painting an ugly picture of what Nigeria may look like in the

future if divided, which am totally disagree with. I just cant stand it any more hearing corrupt politician going to federation account to take what they know

nothing about, stock-pile them massively in foreign accounts for their children yet unborn without feeling slight remorse. while the ordinary citizen continues

wallow in abject poverty.

weather we like it or not, very soon the western scientist will have a break through in alternative energy source, the singularity of that invention will pull down

the demands of oil with a devastating rippling effect on Nigeria economy. what more, the hybrid and rechargeable cars have shown that in a near feature oil will

not be needed in a commercial quantity again.

let the country be divided, then every region will do away with oil sentiments and focus on real development.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Blazay(m): 9:26am On Mar 13, 2011
Is Nigeria the only country with oil?
Divide Nigeria into 1 million countries and you will get the same result.
The curse is not oil but the people.

A curse in a people who can never understand how to love themselves or others.
So, how are other countries with this same oil surviving without killing themselves huh?

Anyway, ammo head North. If Nigeria ever breaks up, I ain't living in Southern Nigeria.
Heavens forbid! cry

Who wants to live amongst Yoruba rascals and Igbo ruffians?
Not to mention the drunken illiterates of the South-South with Dame Patience and co? undecided
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by efisher(m): 9:33am On Mar 13, 2011
Blazay why na! You don't want to stay near the oil or are you from the north? grin grin grin
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by ekubear1: 9:37am On Mar 13, 2011
Easier said than done. . . revenue stream from oil will take more than a bit of effort to replace.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Blazay(m): 9:42am On Mar 13, 2011
^^^
What an extremely, mentally-lazy creature.
You fit 'climb' woman or MAN so? Even horse kpa kpa?undecided
Omo Adenuga!
No go find work you hear?
Siddon for NL dey dream of 'oyel'!

efisher:

Blazay why na! You don't want to stay near the oil or are you from the north? grin grin grin

Heck no!
See the people that claim to have the oil?
Nothing to show for it.

This must be al hareemu? grin

Mu he he he he
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by ekubear1: 9:50am On Mar 13, 2011
Blazay:

^^^
What an extremely, mentally-lazy creature.
You fit 'climb' woman or MAN so? Even horse kpa kpa?undecided
Omo Adenuga!
No go find work you hear?
Siddon for NL dey dream of 'oyel'!

As usual, thanks for your remarkable insight.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by efisher(m): 9:52am On Mar 13, 2011
Blazay:

See the people that claim to have the oil?
Nothing to show for it.

You are right, Some of the worst places in Nigeria are the places with oil. I don't know if oil is the problem or the people !!!

Blazay:

This must be al hareemu? grin

Mu he he he he

No way.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matazzmagi(m): 12:48pm On Mar 13, 2011
The creation of Nigeria involved forcing several different ethnic, cultural and religious groups into one political structure. In retrospect of forty years, it is clear that this was a grave mistake which has cost many lives and will probably continue to do so." --- Sir Peter Smithers, (a former British Cabinet Minister in the Colonial Office), London Times, July 15, 1998.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by juman(m): 1:47pm On Mar 13, 2011
matazzmagi:

The creation of Nigeria involved forcing several different ethnic, cultural and religious groups into one political structure. In retrospect of forty years, it is clear that this was a grave mistake which has cost many lives and will probably continue to do so." --- Sir Peter Smithers, (a former British Cabinet Minister in the Colonial Office), London Times, July 15, 1998.

We are in a forced union called Nigeria. We are not compatible. The problems are too complex and too many. The only way out is to split the country.

No to Nigeria. Yes to ODUA nation.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Abagworo(m): 2:05pm On Mar 13, 2011
United we stand.Divided we fall.

F[_]CK OIL!!!
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Dede1(m): 2:19pm On Mar 13, 2011
Abagworo:

United we stand.Divided we fall.

F[_]CK OIL!!!

We had rather be divided and fall than united and stand as in case of Nigeria.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by homerac7: 2:22pm On Mar 13, 2011
Decapitation is never d cure for a headache. Splitting d country isnt d solution to her myriads of challenges, rather u r sure to generate some newer forms of problems to battle.

I have always insisted dt d union can work, if and only if, d right framework is put in place and followed. And what is/are ds framework? Sovereign National Conference wt intention to create a free republic on TRUE federalism.

Every region has enough capacity to b self sufficient if necessity for her economoc survival becomes inevitable. I consider d call for brake-up as childish and myopic. Anyone who has truely visited and actively been exposed to true economic potentials of each region of Nigeria will understand better. None, i repeat, NONE of d regions is potentially poor or unsustainable economically. True federalism and resourse control will only force d regions to become productive and prudent. It can only end as win-win situation. But i bet u, fragmentation will only lead to an unknown outcome wc doesnt seem good for many pssible reasos
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Rhino5dm: 2:31pm On Mar 13, 2011
@ Bold. exactly my point, going by the of nigerians having the capacity of tranducing sheer laziness from region to region.

homerac7:

Decapitation is never d cure for a headache. Splitting d country isnt d solution to her myriads of challenges, rather u r sure to generate some newer forms of problems to battle.

I have always insisted dt d union can work, if and only if, d right framework is put in place and followed. And what is/are ds framework? Sovereign National Conference wt intention to create a free republic on TRUE federalism.

Every region has enough capacity to b self sufficient if necessity for her economoc survival becomes inevitable. I consider d call for brake-up as childish and myopic. Anyone who has truely visited and actively been exposed to true economic potentials of each region of Nigeria will understand better. None, i repeat, NONE of d regions is potentially poor or unsustainable economically. True federalism and resourse control will only force d regions to become productive and prudent. It can only end as win-win situation. But i bet u, fragmentation will only lead to an unknown outcome wc doesnt seem good for many pssible reasos
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Dede1(m): 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2011
homerac7:

The decapitation and headache analogy is very lame. Decapitation is very necessary to stop the spread of certain incurable deceases such as cancer. Failure to apply such drastic measure of surgical removal of such decease results into instant death. Nigeria's problem is not a mere headache.

You have alluded to the fact each region has potential to drive its destiny one way or the other. Anybody who thinks corruption is the major headache of Nigeria is in a deep slumber. The corruption aspect of any society could be corrected by application of certain deterrents without fear or favor however tribal biases alive and growing in any country can only be stopped by disintegration. It happened during the formative years of countries in Europe and Asia. However, Africa was different as colonial masters were only interested in the resources found on the continent.

There were menaces of certain individuals in a town of the east. On the morning of certain day, the citizens of the region decided that enough was enough and went on rampage to eradicate the root cause of the menaces. The rampage would not have occurred if there were competing tribal interests among the citizens.

Nigeria must be disintegrated to allow for new sense of cooperation among the emerging nation states.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by homerac7: 6:25pm On Mar 13, 2011
^^

Dede my brother,

To a jaundiced eye, everything is coloured yellow.

I hav transversed every zones of ds nation. I mixed wt d people on different socio-economoc issues. I must tell u dt d feelings r same everywhere. Dey feel d pinches, dey hav hopes n aspirations. They hav same disappointments. They r US!

Ethnic sentiments apart, there's no diference here or there; we r all casualties.

More unfortunate is dt very few people hav bothered to knw d problems of others across d "divides", otherwise we had seen clearer dt our different reactions were born out of complex reflections coming frm same problems. Dey blame "u" just same way u blame "them" too. "Nobody holy pass". Now u say we divide, hav u heard of things like "animosity" b4?

BTW, what do u plan to achieve wt d fragmetation? What makes u think any of d sides hav anything to loose in a SNG? Y do u think a side will profit better dn d other? Wc side do u think it is? Its too clear that there's wide difference in sectionaal ideologies based of confined understanding of d general problems. U hav to leave d comfort of ur zone/divide and meet d other man at his backyard to know what makes him tick. Unfortunately, freedom of expression is confused wt expertise on issues many of times. Nigeria/Africa is not Europe; apple and oranges.

Mention just ONE way wt logical explanation, how fragmentation will bring permanent solution to ONE of myriad of Nigeria problems pls. Now proove soundly ONE of d many problems dt SNG/federalism cannot solve save fragmentation.

D fantasy of simple solution in fragmentation/division is overplayed and reflects poor understanding of workings of d socio-economic fibre of Nigeria. Rather, d sane and easier compromise is a SNG/federalism option. Other option(s) r just good only for fantasy. Until we see d challenges as common, of wc solution can only be tackled at unit levels, We may only b changing d nature bt same magnitude of problems. There's no problem playing d ostritch. When we pee together, we can create foam. It is d solitude of d snake species dt is their greatest undoing.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by ezeagu(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2011
Disintegration is the final destination of Nigeria.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 6:46pm On Mar 13, 2011
Yo
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2011
nige

Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 6:50pm On Mar 13, 2011
Th
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 6:51pm On Mar 13, 2011
se
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by omobadan(m): 6:53pm On Mar 13, 2011
Typical Nigerians! Absence of common sense has been our greatest problem! Most of the people that want the country divided, actually think all their problems will just disappear? It wont people! We're our own problems!
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2011
Wh
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 13, 2011
Becomrichn:

When all member of your family die in a civil war, you would keep your mouth quiet. Nigeria is about to have the second civil war.

Someone said you are a robot created by Seun to spice things up on Nairaland. I'm begining to think he might be right.

What is all these incoherent rants?
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matazzmagi(m): 8:53pm On Mar 13, 2011
Nigeria need a referendum igbos are not going to fight any war again revolution will never happen in Nigeria why because we are not one people.Tribalism/religion will not let it work no matter how we try, North African countries it was possible because of one religion (ISLAM) Who is calling for another civil war? Biafrans are calling for their freedom not war. If they ever suffer from unjustified aggression again, I believe all our worlds will be transformed, not in part, but in whole, for the good of the righteous.
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matemate: 10:16pm On Mar 13, 2011
who are this biafran. Calabar people or akwa ibom people or Ogoni people. ?
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matemate: 10:28pm On Mar 13, 2011
2011: Bloody cost of violent power struggle - At least 90 killed - 209 injured weeks to elections
Governor Ali Modu Sheriff of Borno State
This year’s general elections are around the corner, but as politicians plan to celebrate their victories with wine and sumptuous meals, they may forget that their path to victory is soaked with the blood of innocent persons.
Nigerian politicians can teach the world how brutal, blustery and blood-spattered a democracy can be. On October 6, 2010, Alhaji Awana Ali Ngala, the Borno State Chairman of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), which is the ruling party in Borno State since 1999, was killed. On January 28, 2011, the gubernatorial candidate of the ANPP, Modu Fannami Gubio, a cousin of the incumbent governor was also killed by some gunmen. On December 23, 2011, 10 persons in a cultural troupe going to Bauchi to entertain President Goodluck Jonathan, lost their lives in an accident. On January 7, six persons were killed in a feud between the PDP and the Labour Party in Bayelsa State. As at the last count, Sunday Trust research threw up the figure of reported political deaths three weeks away from the 2011 polls is put at over 86. This is in spite of the fact that government, the police, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) have condemned political violence.

My pains know no limit, says father of Suleija bomb blasts victim

Malam Sule Maga in Suleja, the father of late Aminu Suleiman, one of the 10 killed in Sulejia bomb blast last month told Sunday Trust that his pains did not know limits as he was the person who urged his son and bread-winner to attend the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rally.

Speaking from a heart apparently shattered to smithereens, Maga said that if he had not insisted that the young man go to the rally he would have still been alive and well. Aminu was 31-years-old and a student of the College of Education, Minna.

“I cannot explain how painful it is to lose Aminu. I never realised that yesterday would be the last time I would be with him. Now, it is going to be tough for the family, as he was our shining star. As an illiterate, I wanted him to follow me to the place so that he could explain to me what the politicians had to say. He told me that he was busy, but I impressed upon him that his attendance was important. As a respectful child that he was, he quickly rushed off to school, came home to pick me on his motorcycle to the venue and we dispersed into the crowd”, he said.

He stated that he and the deceased were not within the same location at the rally, adding that he only heard the sound of the explosion, not knowing that Adamu was among the fatal casualties.

I am afraid of returning to Suleja, says bedridden Bello

For Ahmed Bello, a father of five since his discharge from the hospital, the fear of returning to Suleja has made him stay put in Minna for a while as he recounts with tragic reflection his ordeal in the midst of the blast.

While attributing his survival to sheer lack explained that the build up of the PDP rally was very exciting. He had no inclination that there could be detonations which would rock the field. He was just getting set to leave the venue when all hell was let loose suddenly.

“I was in Suleja where the Zone A rally of the PDP was taking place. I cannot recall the time, but after the National Anthem when the governor had finished his speech, I was trying to locate my car. As I was approaching the gate, I just heard a big sound and I said a prayer, because I usually pray when I hear any sudden sound.

“After my prayer, all I saw was darkness. The next thing I felt was that I was on the ground and I could not move my legs. I had to drag myself to where I heard some sounds.”

Bello said his while life experience flashed past him within seconds. He never knew that that fateful day could have been his last on earth. He said the impact and the peppery pain of splinters and shrapnel’s that sank deep into his flesh sent clouds of darkness on him as he gradually lost consciousness.

“There was darkness everywhere and when the light returned, I saw many people lying down, some dead, while some were crying. It occurred to me that I could not walk. I had to drag myself to the side of the road before help came my way,” he said.

I will never forget the day of the blast, says 13-year-old victim

For a thirteen-year-old boy in the bomb ravaged Government Secondary School, Suleja, the experience will last him his whole lifetime as he intimated that he would have lost his life in the blast.

He stated that he was at the spot where the explosion went off. He was there to buy carrot for his friends. He told Sunday Trust that he later learnt that the carrot seller died instantly, just less than half an hour after leaving the man.

The boy who gave his name as Hamisu said he wondered if he had stayed longer with the carrot seller if the same fate would have befallen him. For him, the incident was tale of horror.

I saw those who attacked and killed my son, says father of victim of Jigawa violence

Residents of Babura Local Government area of Jigawa State were thrown into misery on Sunday March the 6th, when supporters of PDP and those of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) clashed leading to the death of one Rabiú Ibrahim Yakubu.

A father of two and a political associate of Babura Local Government Council Chairman, Alhaji Amin Ahmad, the deceased was said to have been slaughtered. The deceased’s father, Malam Ibrahim Yakubu told Sunday Trust that, “I saw the attackers while going to the former chairman of the Local Government Council, Alhaji Sani Haru. They went there, searched the house, but nobody was found there. They moved to the residence of the present chairman, Alhaji Aminu Ahmad”.

Yakubu said “the late Rabiú was working at Aminu’s house. When the attackers entered the chairman’s house, they started attacking whoever came their way. As a result they brutally killed my son.

“I wonder why they killed him. My son was not contesting for any political office. Why was he killed like a political rival? Nevertheless, while I’m calling on the police to speed-up investigation into the matter, I leave everything to God because I have no means to continue following the case to its logical conclusion,” he lamented.

He noted that Rabiu was the breadwinner of his family, hence the killers had put the deceased’s family members into serious hardships.

Sunday Trust observed that several other persons, including an orderly to the Local Government Chairman were brutally injured during the political fight. The orderly was said to have exhausted his ammunitions in his effort to rescue his boss. The chairman was said to have jumped into seven houses of his neighbours before he could finally be rescued by a motorcycle rider, who picked him to a hidden place.

Investigation in Babura Local Government by Sunday Trust revealed that several temporary political parties’ offices and flags belonging to both PDP and ACN were destroyed by the angry youths.

Sunday Trust also observed that, a combined team of armed conventional and mobile policemen were conducting stop-and-search of any vehicle that coming or going out from Babura town. Speaking to our correspondent, the Sarkin Ban Ringin and District Head of Babura Alhaji Hadi Mustapha described the violence as animalistic.

“Politics, as catalyst of transforming the society from bad to good, has now been turned into weapon of destroying human lives and property. It is now practised with sadism, hatred and victimization” noted Mustapha.

According to him, “it is quite unfortunate for somebody to slaughter another human being like a ram in the name of politics. This has clearly shown that we are retrogressing from development progress to the opposite.

“It has become imperative for security agents to fish out the culprits for prosecution. I am suggesting a regular security meeting at the local government level and police should be equipped with modern communication gadgets to facilitate their job as security organ,” he stressed.

The police authorities in the state condemned the incident, but claimed that normalcy has returned to the town. The Public Relations Officer of the Jigawa State Police Command, ASP Abdu Jinjiri told Sunday Trust that, the deceased was a PDP member.

According to him, 10 persons were arrested and police personnel from the Criminal Investigation Department of the Command had begun the investigation with a view to fishing out the culprits.

The council chairman Alhaji Aminu Ibrahim Info, told Sunday Trust that, they were returning to Babura from campaign last Saturday when someone called him on phone, informing him that some thugs had burnt down the PDP office.

He added that, the next day, Sunday around 10:30 AM the same people attacked him and his people at his residence in their effort to gain entrance. Their aim, he noted, was to kill him, but he was saved by his police orderly, who shot in the air to scare the attackers.

Also speaking, the Babura local government chairman of the PDP, Inusa Alhaji Mati Babura, said all their party offices in the local government, posters, and billboards were burnt to ashes by ACN supporters, adding that his car was set on fire.

Commenting on the matter, the Jigawa state Chairman of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Dr Abubakar Hassan Fulata, said, “We were in Babura for campaign when suddenly some thugs suspected to be Yan-Kalare hired from Gombe by the PDP attacked our buses. They smashed various windscreens and injured our boys”.

“I wonder how the PDP can stop Badaru from carrying out his political campaign in his home town. When Governor Lamido went to Babura, did any ACN member attack his supporters. Why the ACN and why in Babura, the home town of the ACN’s governorship candidate?” he asked.

Dr Fulata, however, said, as far the ACN was concerned, its people were the victims of the unfortunate incident, noting that, “our boys have been injured, while our campaign vehicles were damaged by the PDP supporters”.

We have lost our precious ones, lament relatives of Port Harcourt 10

At least 10 persons died in the Port Harcourt stampede which occurred on Saturday, February 12, 2011 during the South-South zonal rally of President Goodluck Jonathan. Nine women died in the stampede. They were mostly supporters of the PDP. Security operatives from the Presidency who allegedly caused the stampede when they locked the main exit of the Liberation Stadium, preventing people from going out while Jonathan was making speech.

Hon. Presley Wene Woke, first son of late Mrs. Violet Woroma Woke expressed his grief thus: “Anyway, it has happened and I will not tell you that I don’t feel bad, I feel bad because, she is my mother. Her blood runs in me and for sure, if anything like this happens, we feel bad. I am consoled in the fact that my mother died fighting for the sustainability of democracy in Nigeria.”

On his part, Chief Nnamdi Wokeh, paramount ruler of Rumuehio-Okania community, Rumuokwuta and another son of late Mrs Woke, lement: “I feel so bad that my mother was among those who died during the stampede because she is my mother and she carried me for nine months. Everybody knows that death is a journey you will embark on and never come back. I am feeling her absence very much because I have lost her as my mother. I will not eat my mother’s food again as she used to call me to come and eat in the main house.

“My mother’s wish before her death was that her children grow up to the standard meant for every human being so that she can enjoy her children during could lifetime, since she started nurturing the children when her husband died at a very tender age. Her dream was to see the re-election of Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, come April 2011. We are all aware that my mother went there on active political activity and she died. The stampede must have taken place through one miscalculation or the other. Government cannot bring people together for a political purpose only to turn round and kill them. What happened at the rally that led to the deaths is beyond human comprehension. It is only God that knows how that ugly incident came about. There is no amount of compensation that will be enough for a life but in all, if somebody died in active service, like my mother, who followed the PDP campaign train till her death, her dependents need to be taken care of.”

http://sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6299:2011-bloody-cost-of-violent-power-struggle-at-least-90-killed-209-injured-weeks-to-elections&catid=54:lead-stories&Itemid=127
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Uche2005: 5:32am On Mar 14, 2011
nice
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by Becomrichn: 7:37pm On Mar 14, 2011
ma
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matazzmagi(m): 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2011
^^^
Indeed the problem with nigerians they dont want to listen at the sametime belive the truth and is taking them backwards all the time.I have watched your geographical maps i can see were you are coming from. But you are not that accurate with your maps but you are going somewere smiley
1)"Nigeria is a mere geographical expression" -- Obafemi Awolowo Former Western Region Premier.

"It is clear that there is no basis for Unity" -- Yakubu Gowon, Former Nigerian Head of State in Lagos. August 1966.

"Since the amalgamation of Southern and Northern Provinces in 1914, Nigeria has existed as one country only on paper." --- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. Former Nigerian Prime Minister.- in Northern Legislative Council, 1953.
Dont forget that biafrans saw this dying state of nigeria years ago but nigerian leaders all failed us they knew the truth but greed and hate couldnt let them think.Still people are getting massacre till date,
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by ikeyman00(m): 10:13pm On Mar 14, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^

i dnt buy these crap

we all should live to learn how to do the right thing!! simple
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by matazzmagi(m): 12:32am On Mar 15, 2011
^^^
For how long?another fifty years,
Re: The Country Should Be Divided. by bashr4: 4:03am On Mar 15, 2011
i dont know if dividing the nation is the solution but i know what we are doin now is not working, from the way thing are goin 20 years from now we will still be this way, even with all the powder and lipstick we are rubbing on abuja ,calabar, lagos island, ph,enugu the truth is that less than 5 percent are enjoyin those things . just yesterday obasanjo got in 1999 its already 2011 thats 11 years and nothin to show for it except new generation banks.

(1) (Reply)

Gej Campaign Strategy - Score Card / Who Is Greater Awo Or Obj / Biafra: Benjamin Onwuka Writes Errol CNN To Use CNN For Nov. 5 Declaration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.