Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! (14099 Views)

Let's Be Fair; Jonathan Has Done Well On The Economy. By Sam Ohuabunwa. / President Goodluck Jonathan Has Only Spent 4 Years,11months / BREAKING NEWS: 2015 PRESIDENCY: Jonathan Has Chosen His Running Mate- Gulak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Ibime(m): 4:14pm On Mar 21, 2011
She obtained her school certificate in 1976 and passed the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) in 1980. In 1989, the first Lady obtained the National Certificate of Education (NCE) in Mathematics/Biology from the Rivers State College of Arts and Science, Port Harcourt. She then proceeded to the University of Port Harcourt and studied Biology/Psychology in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patience_Jonathan

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Whats wrong with Biology students at UniPort?

Goodluck also holds HydroBiology degree from the same Uni.

Is studying Biology at Uniport inversely related to the ability to speak English properly?  grin

UniPort guys, Delta House, Abuja House, please defend your alma mater!!!  grin
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by ekubear1: 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
Do they lecture in pidgin at that university?

How did Ublela get a degree

And not just a degree, a degree in both bio and psych.

Sounds very suspect.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by naijaking1: 4:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
Is there any other prerequisite for first lady of Nigeria, apart from supplying good "biology" to the president? I'm disguested at this attempt to attack her when nothing could reasonably stick on her husband.
She's not running for an elective office, and there's no need to put her on the ballot here in N/L.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2011
Look the first lady is as dumb and crass as they come, but in respect to her, I didn't vote her into office,

Although I think Uniport esp the biology dept should be investigated,

Irrespective, I still vote Jonathan/Sambo,

Goodluck Nigeria 2011
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EnuguUkwu: 4:37pm On Mar 21, 2011
idiot post. rubbish and senseless - mumucious and daftie reeeetarded post.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EzeUche2(m): 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2011
Why are you people continuing to insult her, when English is not even her first language?

For the most part, reading some of your post give me a headache, because you all cannot even write "proper" English.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Abbycrown(f): 4:42pm On Mar 21, 2011
Bagging a degree has nothing to do with fluency in English language.  cheesy
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EzeUche2(m): 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
I know people who write English very well, but cannot speak it very well. undecided

It is funny that the same people who are laughing at her, cannot even string a sentence together that sounds remotely comprehensible.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Pataki: 4:48pm On Mar 21, 2011
Husband and wife what a good match!

Pack of dunces. None to stimulate each other in any intellectual reasoning inside the house.

Degree in Biology, and yet goes around spraying grammar bullets here and there. No wonder the husband is so eager to build more universities, continuation of sub-standard education just to authenticate the likes of Patience Jonathan.

I really wonder what the next four years would be like should these pathetic lot find their way back to Aso-rock.

God forbid!
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EnuguUkwu: 4:52pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^

May you be alive to see.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Okijajuju1(m): 4:56pm On Mar 21, 2011
@ Ezeuche

I knw wat u mean with the writing but not fluent iin english, but that case does not apply to dame Jonathan.

I agree that the attacks on her person needs to stop cos she never vied to be first lady of any level.

On anoda note, I think kudos should go to jonathan for sticking with her and not marrying a second wife more beffitting to his office,

Uniports degrees from 1990 to date should be looked into, No university grad should be as bad as Mrs jonathan in mastery of the english language, How did she defend her project ffs?
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EkoIle1: 4:58pm On Mar 21, 2011
The thing is fake just like GEJ himself.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by ekubear1: 5:02pm On Mar 21, 2011
On a serious note, is this a common thing in Nigeria?

People graduating from college but not being able to speak English?

Who would want to hire such once they finish?

Seems like a waste of time spending so many years in school and not coming out with some basic skills.

Especially as a humanities grad (psychology). Wouldn't she have had to read and write lots of essays and stuff?
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EzeUche2(m): 5:06pm On Mar 21, 2011
@ Okija_juju

The attacks on her definitely needs to stop. She is not running for office, it is her husband who is running for office. I do not think any of the presidential candidate's wives should be attacked. This resembles the attacks that Republicans did during Obama's presidential election, in which they tried to attack him through his wife.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by naijaking1: 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2011
The first lady speaks Igbo and Ijaw very well, isn't that enough. English is therefore a secondary or tertiary language. Public speaking is a well known achilles heel of many people, irrespective of intelligence.
The same people complaining about First lady Jonathan's English were in outerspace during the reign of Yardua and his wife angry
What's next in all these mudslinging?
Attack GEJ's children for being too smart
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EzeUche2(m): 5:38pm On Mar 21, 2011
naijaking1:

The first lady speaks Igbo and Ijaw very well, isn't that enough. English is therefore a secondary or tertiary language. Public speaking is a well known achilles heel of many people, irrespective of intelligence.
The same people complaining about First lady Jonathan's English were in outerspace during the reign of Yardua and his wife angry

Exactly!

I wonder if some of these Nairaland posters, can speak their native tongue well. In their rush to embrace English, they lambast someone who does not speak English regularly.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by EkoIle1: 6:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
EzeUche_:

Exactly!

I wonder if some of these Nairaland posters, can speak their native tongue well. In their rush to embrace English, they lambast someone who does not speak English regularly.

naijaking1:

This is exactly why we're trying to get rid of GEJ and the rest of you primitive and backward clowns.

If the governor of a state, a vice president and a president no fit organize education abi tutoring for his own wife, what's he got to offer our students and Nigerians general in terms of education?
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by timbuktwo: 6:14pm On Mar 21, 2011
what on earth is gonna down at UniPort?? shocked shocked
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by gohome: 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2011
EzeUche_:

@ Okija_juju

The attacks on her definitely needs to stop. She is not running for office, it is her husband who is running for office. I do not think any of the presidential candidate's wives should be attacked. This resembles the attacks that Republicans did during Obama's presidential election, in which they tried to attack him through his wife.

So what if shes not running for office. She has an office that squanders tax payers money. we call them our first family remember. Palins's daughter had problems we all did not stop talking until she lost the election. I have seen leaders that have resigned because of the shortcomings of their folks,  btw this post is not to abuse her,  its saying we should actually verify the results posted by uniport from 1990-1994.

I personally dont care what her english level is,  my problem is, if she gets away with this, what lessons do we have for our children,  what if my daughter comes home with a fail in english and i try to tell her the importance of studying and passing english and her reply goes thus '' you speaks the engrish and i looks for the rich man or the president to marry'', lol
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by gohome: 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2011
timbuk two:

what on earth is gonna down at UniPort??   shocked shocked

Mrs. Jonathan started her career as a teacher at the Stella Maris College, Port Harcourt and Sports Institute Isake. She then moved to the banking sector in 1997, where she established the first community bank in Port Harcourt called the Akpo Community Bank. Mrs. Jonathan also served as Marketing Manager of Imiete Community Bank. She returned to the classroom briefly again as teacher. Eventually she was transferred to the Bayelsa State Ministry of Education, where she served until May 29th 1999 when her husband became the Deputy Governor of the state.

what actually is going down with our educational system
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by MyJoe: 6:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
naijaking1:

Is there any other prerequisite for first lady of Nigeria, apart from supplying good "biology" to the president? I'm disguested at this attempt to attack her when nothing could reasonably stick on her husband.
She's not running for an elective office, and there's no need to put her on the ballot here in N/L.
Precisely. The attack on her, particularly the extent of it, is plain silly.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by MyJoe: 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ Ezeuche

I knw wat u mean with the writing but not fluent iin english, but that case does not apply to dame Jonathan.

I agree that the attacks on her person needs to stop cos she never vied to be first lady of any level.

On anoda note, I think kudos should go to jonathan for sticking with her and not marrying a second wife more beffitting to his office,
Right. One can think of several reasons why a successful man would have a wife who is not fluent in speech or in English. If he wakes up one day and finds himself president, he should stick with her.

Okija_juju:
Uniports degrees from 1990 to date should be looked into,  No university grad should be as bad as Mrs jonathan in mastery of the english language,  How did she defend her project ffs?
You may have a point there.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by naijaking1: 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2011
Umblerra, Umbrera, umbrella, wambrela, or whatever she's alleged to call it is irrelevant unless you're a trained and licensed linguist who would understand the influence of vernacular on secondary languages.

I mean, you wouldn't undersatnd why the average Yoruba would always miss pronouncing the first "h" in any word. Not only do Yorubas pronounce "house" as "ouse". I have seen many N/L write "his" as "is"

Also, the Hausas, because of their own native tongue mispronouce words begining with "v"
Imagine sitting in an English class by an Hausa Youth corper who began the first day:
"By the end of this class, e[i]w[/i]ery one of you will understand the f[/i]roper use of [i]w[/i]erbs and pro[i]w[/i]erbs"

The Igbos too, have their languistic idiosyncracy such as placing a vowel at the end of every name, such as [i]bucket[/i]i for bucket, [i]cupu
for cup, and of course having difficulty with such tongue twister as umbrella.

Like to hear from some linguist in the H--ouse, not some cheap political operatives.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by timbuktwo: 7:08pm On Mar 21, 2011
gohome:

Mrs. Jonathan started her career as a teacher at the Stella Maris College, Port Harcourt and Sports Institute Isake. She then moved to the banking sector in 1997, where she established the first community bank in Port Harcourt called the Akpo Community Bank. Mrs. Jonathan also served as Marketing Manager of Imiete Community Bank. She returned to the classroom briefly again as teacher. Eventually she was transferred to the Bayelsa State Ministry of Education, where she served until May 29th 1999 when her husband became the Deputy Governor of the state.

whats actually is going down with our educational system

you cant be serious shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i fear for this country. bring back the british i say; for we know not what we do
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 21, 2011
Naijaking: dat was informative and fun too. EDUTAINMENT
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by timbuktwo: 7:15pm On Mar 21, 2011
naijaking1:

Umblerra, Umbrera, umbrella, wambrela, or whatever she's alleged to call it is irrelevant unless you're a trained and licensed linguist who would understand the influence of vernacular on secondary languages.

I mean, you wouldn't undersatnd why the average Yoruba would always miss pronouncing the first "h" in any word. Not only do Yorubas pronounce "house" as "ouse". I have seen many N/L write "his" as "is"

Also, the Hausas, because of their own native tongue mispronouce words begining with "v"
Imagine sitting in an English class by an Hausa Youth corper who began the first day:
"By the end of this class, e[i]w[/i]ery one of you will understand the f[/i]roper use of [i]w[/i]erbs and pro[i]w[/i]erbs"

The Igbos too, have their languistic idiosyncracy such as placing a vowel at the end of every name, such as [i]bucket[/i]i for bucket, [i]cupu

Like to hear from some linguist in the H--ouse, not some cheap political operatives.

what's the point of speaking english if all other english speakers need a translator to understand you? it's simple annunciation dude - it's not rocket science. but you are right, she isn't the only culprit and it most certainly isn't her fault; rather it's a symptom of our failed education system.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by naijaking1: 7:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
byrron:

Naijaking: dat was informative and fun too. EDUTAINMENT

Thank you chief cheesy

timbuk two:

what's the point of speaking english if all other english speakers need a translator to understand you? it's simple annunciation dude - it's not rocket science. but you are right, she isn't the only culprit and it most certainly isn't her fault; rather it's a symptom of our failed education system.

If you have never listened to speeches from our elected and military presidents, you might want to begin with Shagari, to OBJ, Buhari, and even IBB; they all have strong ethnically accented prounciations and enounciations.

When these people speak on standard world-wide news services (CNN or BBC), they always need an interpreter, voice over, or digital print-out of whatever they were supposed to be saying, and yet they were our presidents.

How can we even begin to waste time on a first lady embarassed
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Ibime(m): 7:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
naijaking1:

We not worried about pronunciation here. . . everybody has an accent. . .

How about "My fellow widows"

Or "My childrens"

"GEJ and Sambo is good peoples"

UniPort stand up!!! grin grin grin
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by SweetT1: 8:25pm On Mar 21, 2011
@Poster

I'm not surprised at all. We are talking about Nigerian Universities here. I bet this Lady couldn't spell Biology if they spotted her the B,L and Y. I can bet my last dime on it, she has never looked down a microscope before.
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by xterra2(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2011
Ibime you are funny woo grin grin grin grin
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by Remii(m): 9:35pm On Mar 21, 2011
some words are difficult for some people in some areas to pronounce.

With all due respects, not mocking any tribe:

Lagos kids have problem with "r" "oi e o pe" instead of "ori e o pe".
Ibadan have theirs with "sh" that is why you hear jokes like , kini soo (show) soo suo (show sure)
Delta (Urhobo in particular) don't call "L" well, they call "Nateef" instead of Lateef
Hausa /Fulani cant call "P" , "feople" instead of people.
Some Calabar guys call "Younson" instead of Johnson

I have heard Ibos call "umbllera" instead of Umbrella.

so its just accents,

Even there are American and British pronunciations. Anti is called as written by British while Americans call it 'antai". It is preventive in British and preventative in America
Re: Patience "Umblerra" Jonathan Has A Degree In Biology! by naijaking1: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^
Thank you, well done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Threatens Invasion Of Plateau State / FG Hires Lawyers With N500m To Recover N330bn From MTN / President Jonathan To Address Nigerians Tomorrow By 7am

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.