Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,034 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State (3915 Views)

Tinubu Begs Igbo In Lagos, Osinbajo Appeals To Hausa Community For Votes / 2019: Run To South-east During Election And Be Fined – IDA Warns Igbo In North / Army Launches Operation Crocodile Smile In Cross River, Ayade Rocks Army Uniform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 6:44am On Dec 09, 2020
https://www.facebook.com/100023421351687/posts/861684514622252/?app=fbl

- Victor Don Omeji Jr.
OTAKA COMMUNITY ARE ONE OF THE IGBO
SPEAKING GROUP YOU CAN FIND IN CROSS
RIVER STATE
In my fewer posts I made about my
community Otaka Vvillage, I met this friend of
mine Gabriel Peter from the same
community in cross-river state, surprisingly
he is an IPOB member and into this Biafra
struggle. it's very important we keep
reminding our people (Biafrans) of whom we
are!.
In this my community in cross-river state
otaka Village in OBUBRA L G A. we are Igbo
speaking Biafrans, We are called Isobo
people, we share absolutely same value
system as the igbos of the hinterland do, we
have our four market days as Eke, orie, Afor
Nkwo. We celebrate our annual yam festival
on every 5 September of the year which we
call "Erim ji". We circumcise our new male
child at the eight day after born, Amongst our
neighborhoods in the same cross-river, you
find the people of Biko-Biko, Apkanwudele,
Ndi'nkasi,Nko,okwuenyim, Ndi'oka, Nko,
Apianam,as well you can also find these
relatives in echara,Ndi echara,Ndiagu,Amagu
here you find remnants of isobo people, our
language can sound little bit differently in
accent but there's no "word" which you can
name we don't hear or know the meaning.
labo's in Anambra call one (ofu)
We call it "'nnan"
They call two (abuo)
We call (Ebo)
They call three (Ato)
We call it (Eto)
They call nine (iteghete)
We call it (iteghete)
They call ten (iri)
We call it (lri)
So as it sounds till you finish numbers, what
igbo call yam (ji) So as we call it (ji)
An igbo man will name after his son his
namesake (ogbonna) which means his
Junior so as l answer (OMEJI) which is
named after me by my parents, you
understand very well what OMEJI, means a
sprout of yam in which it forms another, we
also do answer Chukwu bu ikem chinaza
chidimma Chisom numerous you can't finish
mentioning, we also have what igbo call (oba
ji) barn which you store your yam for use or
for feeding.
Numberless facts which we are culturally
affiliated is many. We are historically linked
to has come from (Nchonu) about 300yrs-
400yrs ago is not of today.We are offshoot
Igbo's you can find there.

A PEOPLE
WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR HISTORY ARE GONE!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 6:55am On Dec 09, 2020
We South South over to you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Nigeriabiafra80: 6:58am On Dec 09, 2020
And you think that those that never traveled in their life will believe you
They prefer writing jargons from their mothers kitchen

25 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by johnmartus(m): 7:06am On Dec 09, 2020
Igbo they can pretend to be anything on internet. They will be Hausa, fulani, Yoruba, Edo whenever they want to make their jocular remarks.

I'm not surprised that is how they always call my beautiful Edo woman igbo even she will tell them that she is not igbo they will say she is lying. These people they are something else.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by YoonSung69: 7:07am On Dec 09, 2020
Them don wan cause wahala again

2 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by helinues: 7:12am On Dec 09, 2020
Toh, table shaker

3 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 7:12am On Dec 09, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
And you think that those that never traveled in their life will believe you
They prefer writing jargons from their mothers kitchen
The writer himself is from there.

4 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 7:13am On Dec 09, 2020
helinues:
Toh, table shaker

Yahoo boy

Change your ways sir
Crime destroys this nation

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 7:13am On Dec 09, 2020
johnmartus:
Igbo they can pretend to be anything on internet. They will be Hausa, fulani, Yoruba, Edo whenever they want to make their jocular remarks.

I'm not surprised that is how they always call my beautiful Edo woman igbo even she will tell them that she is not igbo they will say she is lying. These people they are something else.
Empty head. You've got the Facebook link of the writer, why not contact him for interview

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 7:14am On Dec 09, 2020
[s]
Supremos:

- Victor Don Omeji Jr.
RIVER STATE
are!.
We call it "'nnan"
They call two (abuo)
We call (Ebo)
They call three (Ato)
We call it (Eto)
We call it (iteghete)
They call ten (iri)
We call it (lri)
for feeding.

A PEOPLE
[/s]

Na lie you are all ibo

What is Obigbo?

What is Rumoukoro

What is Rumuodumaya?

Na lie you guys and IBO are one and the same

Ikwerre answer names like uche ifeoma and ifeanyi and you tell us you are not ibo

All Rivers indigenes understand and speak Ibo !! Have the same culture

Oga close mouth abeg

Una be Ibo and Ibo be una

Same way Catalonia are saying they are not spanish yet have the same everything

grin

3 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by FerdinandAbah: 7:14am On Dec 09, 2020
Igbos like dey claim dey come from everywhere.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 7:22am On Dec 09, 2020
ISOBO IGBOS OF OBUBRA-CROSS RIVER STATE
The Isobo are the most eastern sub group of the Igbo nation domiciled mainly in Obubra LGA of Cross River State as well as part of Ikwo LGA of Ebonyi State. The major center in Ikwo LGA is Akpawudele(Ekpa-Omaka), with some remnants in Ndi-Oka, Ndiagu, and Amagu. They are possibly an offshoot of the Ikwo sub group and also within the same Obubra LGA are the Echara people who are by the way neighbors of the Isobo people. In Obubra, the three major clans are Isobo-Bikobiko; Isobo-Otaka and Isobo-Otaka. They dominate Osopong 2 ward out of the 11 wards in Obubra covering 18 polling units out of the 155 in the LGA. So based on the rule of thumb, we can assume the Isobo and Echara people make up about 12 per cent of the population of Obubra as well as the land area. This means the Isobo people probably occupy about 130km2 of land area and number some 20,705 people based on the controversial 2006 census exercise.
Remnants of the Isobo people are found according to ISOBO Community on facebook in such places like Nd’Oka; Okwuenyim, Nd’Nkash; Appiapum; Nko; Imabana-Ochokwo
; Igbo-Imabana and Igbudu mainly in Obubra as well as enclaves in Abi and possibly Yakurr LGA of the State. The scattered enclaves of the Isobo people was noted by Ecoma Chinyere who wrote on the nature of trade and commerce in the Upper Cross River area.
HISTORY AND CULTURE
History says they migrated from NCHONU which will put them as part of the Ikwo larger group. This was between 300-400 years ago when they began gradually mainly to conquest to settle in the area. The major festival is the new yam festival called the AJI. Their neighbors to the east are the Mbembe people who dominate Obubra LGA. Because of their proximity to their Mbembe neighbors, the Isobo apart from using the traditional week days of Eke, Afor, Orie and Nkwo(which is their market day) had adopted the 6-day week system practiced by the Mbembe people. Their main market in the Ebonyi State axis is the Igboji market.

fromd uphills of Nko n Ugep down d smarshy swamp of Bikobiko and Otaka in Osopong. From the renmants of Imabana to the waterside of Adun. Then from the hamlets of Nd'oka, Nd'nkash, Okwuenyim and the Igbudu traversin d Ekpanwudeles where ISOBO spirit survives.

ORINJI FESTIVAL ( NEW YAM FESTIVAL) OF THE ISOBOS

September the 5th is not only the NEW YAM FESTIVAL DAY for the Isobos,but also marks the climax of myriad of very unique cultural protocols heralding the celebration of the new yam each year. Of course,yam is well celebrated above other tuber crops especially among the Igbos and the Isobos are not left out in this generational practice. Among the lined up cultural rites and activities, the celebrations is kick started with the announcement of the FESTIVAL OF THE PUMPKIN LEAF ( OKPATA INE) by a member of the Council of Chiefs commissioned with that charge. This is usually a cultural celebration exclusively for ND'OVA (Council of Chiefs).It is pertinent to note here that in this particular occasion,the new yam is not involved. The Ova concerned treats the Nd' Ova to a lavished entertainment immediately they return from the Ezegwuk (Great playground); where sacrifices are offered to the gods for a bountiful harvest. Significantly, it offers hope and strength to the people that at last, the period of famine is drawing to a close. Then it is followed by the big one-EJA NJI (Yam sacrifice).
The Eja Nji is the most important of all the rites heralding the new yam.All the seven OVAs representing the seven kindred in Isobo are fully involved.All the Chiefs adorned in their best apparels and attires undertake seven spiritual journeys shuttling between Ezegdwuk and Edgwuk (Village playground) during which time prayers and sacrifices are made for good harvest. It is a purification journey as the gods are called upon to execute judgement on those who may have desecrated the land.Those who have tasted the new yam before this celebration are seen to have desecrated the land and forbidden from watching the final dance when the OVAs will be showing their dancing skills. The high point of this occasion is usually the scramble for who would 'catch' the OGBUNZE (The first amongst the OVAs to eat the new yam) as he was usually the first to dance; fast dance with a speed of light.Only few people have been able to achieve this.At the end of the dance,each of the Ovas carries his goodies bag to his clan where his people are usually handy to receive and welcome him home and gifts therein shared round; followed by merriment that sometimes last till late in the night.Each clan had a different way of celebrating this day and it also ushered in uncommon kind of love as it was a desecration of the land at this time to quarrel or fight.Violation attracted payment of fine.This is usually the case until four days after the New Yam Festival.The next day is the OGBUNZE.
This particular day is almost like the festival of the pumpkin leaf except that the new yam will be harvested by the Ogbunze alone and the Ovas will be entertained by him.The Ogbunze is the enforcer of laws of the land that forbids fighting and quarreling.He collects fine from offenders. The d-day.
Early in the morning,women rush to their farms to harvest the new yam; and the shouts of EKOOOOO EKOBEKO EKOGBANGHANA RIGBO FUA LECHECHE O filled the air.Often times as children, we were woken from our slumber by these shouts; that brought new lease of life to many who had been ravished by famine.Joy filled the air and there is excitement everywhere. New yam meal is exchanged by neighbours,friends and so on.The best harvester is rewarded. The men celebrate as they sit in the clan hut (Obu) to eat and drink together.The young men organize a novelty football match that is usually keenly contested. At night,it is rounded off with an all night ball that lasted till dawn.That is Ekoo in Isobo.

8 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Supremos: 7:24am On Dec 09, 2020
NoFucksToGive:
[s][/s]

Na lie you are all ibo

What is Obigbo?

What is Rumoukoro

What is Rumuodumaya?

Ikwerre answer names like uche ifeoma and ifeanyi and you tell us you are not ibo

Oga close mouth abeg

grin
Read the post again and again, to know which side are you
Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 7:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Supremos:
Read the post again and again, to know which side are you

You guys are ibo nothing concern us here

Rivers language is Ibo that's final

Since Yoruba can sit andc claim we and them are the same

Rivers is IBO and IBO is Rivers

Just like a middle belt claiming they are not Hausa

Or a kwara man saying they are not Yoruba

All the ikwerre people speak IBO all ibo people speak ikwerre

Oga go and sleep

2 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by helinues: 7:26am On Dec 09, 2020
NoFucksToGive:
[s][/s]

Na lie you are all ibo

What is Obigbo?

What is Rumoukoro

What is Rumuodumaya?

Oga close mouth abeg

grin

My regards in advance to your colleagues reading from the side bar.

There are lots of spoontogive instead of NoFucksToGive

1 Like

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 7:27am On Dec 09, 2020
helinues:

My regards in advance to your colleagues reading from the side bar

Oga go and sleep

2 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by SlayerForever: 7:38am On Dec 09, 2020
You will never see Ohaneze and their brainless followers addressing these things. Stupid people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by gidgiddy: 7:38am On Dec 09, 2020
Long live the Isobo- Igbos of CrossRiver. Igbos are actually indigenous to 13 states. The eleven SE and SS states as well as Benue and Kogi

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by SlayerForever: 7:39am On Dec 09, 2020
Lalasticlala.

4 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by WorWorBoy: 7:52am On Dec 09, 2020
NoFucksToGive:
[s][/s]

Na lie you are all ibo

What is Obigbo?

What is Rumoukoro

What is Rumuodumaya?

Oga close mouth abeg

grin
All Rivers indigenes understand and speak igbo? undecided i am from Rivers state sir, i don't understand, speak, or practice igbo culture.

5 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 7:58am On Dec 09, 2020
WorWorBoy:
All Rivers indigenes understand and speak igbo? undecided i am from Rivers state sir, i don't understand, speak, or practice igbo culture.
And ik

You are a liar I live here

You guys are all ibo

You obviously don't know your culture after all I have met Edo brothers who can't language

4 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by WorWorBoy: 8:10am On Dec 09, 2020
NoFucksToGive:

You are a liar I live here

You guys are all ibo

You obviously don't know your culture after all I have met Edo brothers who can't language
I am a liar? smh.

How many ethnic group are in Rivers state? or you think ikwerres are the only ones in Rivers?

1 Like

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by FlamesD: 8:27am On Dec 09, 2020
People should be proud of their original identity. Even the more sophisticated black Americans are tracing their routes back to Africa.
The British were only trying to distort the story of the old Eastern Nigeria for been stubborn to them during the colonial era . The east were only being democratic in nature. That is their only crime.
This result in the balkanization of the old eastern region and distortion of history thereby turning brothers against brothers which help them why taking what they wanted from us.

3 Likes

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by NoFucksToGive: 8:38am On Dec 09, 2020
WorWorBoy:
I am a liar? smh.

How many ethnic group are in Rivers state? or you think ikwerres are the only ones in Rivers?

Ikwerre are major

The rest like ichie, andoni, okirikaa, borokiri et all are the minority

The ikwerre always says Rivers State is ikwerre land

Bros ikwerre are ibo not be so ? All of una are Ibo

Case closed

1 Like

Re: There's 'NO' Indiginious Igbo In Cross- River State by Yujin(m): 8:40am On Dec 09, 2020
Supremos:

- Victor Don Omeji Jr.
RIVER STATE
are!.
We call it "'nnan"
They call two (abuo)
We call (Ebo)
They call three (Ato)
We call it (Eto)
We call it (iteghete)
They call ten (iri)
We call it (lri)
for feeding.

A PEOPLE
I'm aware of the Isobo clan of the Igbo nation found in Cross River state but don't know enough about them. I'm still making my findings and this piece adds credence to some of my suspicions. I'm from Anambra state and history has it that my town was found by a warrior Nze from the Cross River area. Some peculiarity between my town is the same with what is written about the Isobos. Just like them, we call the number 1 'nnaa' unlike the popular 'ofu' used generally in Anambra. Though 'ofu' is also used today but when we engrossed in our dialect, 'nnaa' is mostly used. Like the Isobos and other cross river Igbos, we call the clan meeting centre 'obu' instead of 'obi' as is commonly called in my state.
It's good to know more about them. Igbos are indigenous in all SS states plus Benue and Kogi making that 13 states.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wife Of Bobi Wine, The Ugandan Opposition Candidate Brutalized By Soldiers / How Tinubu’s 2 Daughters Acquired Properties Worth Billions In The US (Pictures) / British Embassy Barred Peter Obi From Signing Condolence Register

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.