Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,867 members, 7,813,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria (29246 Views)

All Imo Flights Blacklisted Nationwide Over Attack On NLC President / Voice Note That Led To Deborah Samuel Being Killed For Blasphemy / How Talle Mai Ruwa Was Burnt To Death In Bauchi For Blasphemy - Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by ijustdey: 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2020
Fredrick Nwabufo

Nigeria is an exceptionally intolerant country – religion-wise. In fact, the country is next to Iran on the religious intolerance threshold. You could get killed, threatened, hounded, harassed and victimised for going against the religious orthodoxies. The two major religions in Nigeria – Christianity and Islam — bubble with the most fanatical of followers who elect themselves ‘’defenders of God’’. In their inquisition, death is the penalty for every perceived breach of the holy canons. There is no other way.

Over the years Nigeria has been on the US watch-list for religious intolerance. I must say, this problem has always been with us, but perhaps it became accentuated with the divisive propensity of the Buhari administration. The blacklisting of Nigeria by the US for violations of religious freedom cannot be argued otherwise. The reasons given by America for its decision are germane – if considered dispassionately.

One of the reasons on which the US situated its action is tolerance for religious violence and support for egregious religious violations by the Buhari administration.

“The secretary and really the world have great concern about what’s taking place in Nigeria at this time, and a number of terrorist groups are organising and pushing into the country. We’re seeing a lot of religious-tinged violence taking place in that country and indeed in West Africa. It’s an area of growing concern about what’s happening, in particular the tension that’s taking place there between religious groups. And it’s often the religious affiliation is used to try to recruit and inspire violent acts,” Samuel Brownback, US ambassador-at-large for international religious freedom, said.

“You’ve got expanded terrorist activities, you’ve got a lot of it associated around religious affiliations, and the government’s response has been minimal to not happening at all. A number of cases – there have not been criminal cases brought forward by the government. The terrorism continues to happen and grow, in some places unabated.’’

That the Buhari administration harbours religious zealots is indubitable. Bashir Ahmad, personal assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari, did not cloak is religious zealotry and extremist complexion when he declared his support for death against blasphemy.

These are the words of an aide of Nigeria’s president which he wrote on Twitter: ‘’I can’t pretend or keep silent. I support the death penalty for BLASPHEMY. That’s my belief and I do not and will never support #saveKanonine.’’

It is clear that the government at the highest level is tepid about issues of religious extremism. The Buhari administration could well be peopled by sympathisers of extremism. We must not be hypocritical about the US blacklisting of our country. We are an extremist nation. One singer in Kano is still in the gulag for alleged blasphemy awaiting a tragic end. What has the Buhari administration done in the case of this singer despite the global outcry for his release? Nothing!

Yet, Lai Mohammed, minister of information, claims the government ‘’protects religious freedom jealously’’. Where is the freedom when people are threatened with death for allegedly going contrary to the religious grain? Where is the freedom when an actress, Rahama Sadau, who wore a beautiful dress in a photo shoot, was threatened with death for alleged blasphemy for simply wearing a nice-looking dress? This actress was even reported to the police. How tragic! Where is the freedom when Hisbah, the religious police in Kano, go from house to house looking for sinners; arresting people in hotels and destroying alcoholic drinks? Where is the freedom when a religious law subsists in a country that touts itself as secular?

Let us cut out the bull-crap and face up to the truth. We are an extremist nation. We create the environment for extremists to rise and thrive; a system where a law within the law allows death for blasphemy will fecund extremism. Those holding up death for blasphemy are only pushing the agenda of Boko Haram. How are they different?

The US also cited the government’s vapid response to issues of religious violence, particularly as regards Boko Haram as one of its reasons for giving Nigeria the hammer. Let us chew on this fact. Is the Buhari administration’s decision to rehabilitate and release terrorists into the civil population while an insurgency is still raging not a declaration of sympathy for them and other religious extremists? The government put an extremist label on itself by this deliberate effort.

Let me make it clear, religious extremists abound in Christianity as well. Why we are not having violent fundamentalism is because one pastor, general overseer or bishop has not given his adherents their marching orders. We could, perhaps, have a bigger problem in our hands when Christian fundamentalists bear firearms. So, extremism is not limited to one religion.

Nigeria is an extremist nation. It incubates and nurtures extremists – both Christians and Muslims.

https://www.thecable.ng/hisbah-death-for-blasphemy-reasons-us-blacklisted-nigeria

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:15pm On Dec 11, 2020
If only the US can only blacklist the Northern part of Nigeria

353 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Mokason288(m): 2:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
I just wish this unholy marriage could go separate ways

The EAST shouldn’t be with this crazy Northerners

The NORTH IS GIVING US A VERY BAD NAME EZIOKWU

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

189 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Jashub: 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
Samuel Browmback should have said "Radical Islam" instead. Those who terrorise nigerians are strictly adherents of the Islamic faith.

128 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Racoon(m): 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
Imagine them running an illegitimate government side by side a so called democratic government that practically have no power over their Islamic caliphate.

161 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Arrewa: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2020
Eyaah...

Naija una sorry oo...

Forgive our ignorance!

Note: if you know you are a religious bigot that can't do whitout insulting Islam! Pls kano is not for you!!

If you can't face your religion and respect other people's beliefs. Pls stay away from kano state.

Stay in Abia state an insult Islam and Prophet Muhammad as much as you want!

Nobody will come to abia state to arrest u for blasphemy!

I repeat Stay away from Arewa if you know you cannot do in your life whitout insulting Islam.

God bless Arewa!!

We are growing stronger than ever before!!

25 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by ChoCho54(f): 2:46pm On Dec 11, 2020
Arrewa:
Ok
This leprous hand(north) must be cut for the other body parts to survive

211 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by kennyflames(m): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
nawa oo at least thank God am a Christian

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by HerMajestyCares(f): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
I Also think the way our Present Evil Administrations are Treating Nigerians As Slave with so much VISIBLE HARDSHIP Contributed to it angry angry

By God's Grace I Won't be Affected by Any Policy

Because

U.S. of A will continue to be my Second Home After Nigeria.

Jesus I thank you for life.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by hashtagged(m): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
Any country with Islam should be blacklisted, I wish Nigeria should split and let those gay paedophile pigs who call themselves Muslim leave us alone,
All countries should take measures to eradicate Islam from their country if they truly want peace cause everywhere Islam goes it's from "Allah Abubakar" to "Kaboooom".
I remember having a friend who became a Muslim and was almost killed when they heard he did not want to be a Muslim again, he told me how every Muslim fantasies about killing non Muslims and how they secretly do it in rural areas.
And OP don't lump Christianity with that piss religion of serial killers and paedophiles

174 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by dynicks(m): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
embarassed
Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by 9jathingsonpoint: 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
Abeg divide Nigeria and blacklist Northern Nigeria

44 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Hamman1(m): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by irepnaija4eva(m): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
Smh...
Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Feggie3: 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
Having an Islamic President, with Islamic head of parastatals and Islamic head of MDAs, obviously there is nothing democratic about their up bringing.... Lord Lugard, I continuously spit on ur grave.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by obembet(f): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
Hisbah is a terrorist group sponsor by northern all in the name of religion

61 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
This writer is showing cowardice by trying to lump in christianity so it's not obvious he is talking about Islam. He should be bold and say it that the country was blacklisted due to the actions of Islamic fundamentalists!

144 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by IamWonderful: 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
It is an eyesore, I remember talking emotionally about it when I teaching my students, when Allah commands you to kill anyone that blaspheme Muhammad, isn't it ridiculous and annoying, madam Eunice olawale was killed by a whole mosque including men, women, children, alfas, imam, non of them can stop the killing.

21 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Myself2(m): 3:52pm On Dec 11, 2020
Wiseandtrue:
If only the US can only blacklist the Northern part of Nigeria

Exactly

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by condralbedez: 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
Before nkor

1 Like

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Nairalandwizerd(m): 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
Good, Nigeria is running a Terrorist government.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by jericco1(m): 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
The thing is the janjaweéd governance in some parts of the North is tainting how people see Nigeria because those people are living in a primitive age..

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by anytexy: 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
Is alright No problems
Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by ImmaculateJOE(m): 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
Not far from the truth

2 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Cammo: 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
I don't know why I shiver whenever I hear someone shout "Allah Akbar!"
Is that a normal feeling?

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by MyGeneration(m): 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
To me as far as they are killing themselves e no supposed concern una

2 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Raydos: 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
Imagine someone from the HISBAH group becomes Nigerian president??

Southern Nigeria go suffer ehn!!

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by jojofola: 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Basically, everybody with a Nigerian passport has been blacklisted solely due to foolery and hypocrisy in the North.

Same reason why you have to swear an oath on a particular section on this forum. Lmao!

People are in saner climes, living better lives but
We are not ready.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by igweome: 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Nigeria is an exceptionally intolerant country – religion-wise. In fact, the country is next to Iran on the religious intolerance threshold. You could get killed, threatened, hounded, harassed and victimised for going against the religious orthodoxies. The two major religions in Nigeria – Christianity and Islam.. Please don't name Christianity on this,

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Nairalandwizerd(m): 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Cammo:
I don't know why I get scared whenever I hear someone shout "Allah Akbar!"
mee too

9 Likes

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by Myself2(m): 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
ChoCho54:
This leprous hand(north) must be cut for the other body parts to survive

Northern Nigeria, dragging The South back since 1914

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hisbah, Death For Blasphemy – Reasons US Blacklisted Nigeria by DominionGreat: 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Buhari is an extremist, a core jihadist and a religious bigot.. He is the brain behind every religious unrest we are having, he is fanning Hisbah to commit all that atrocities and paying deaf ears to the cries of the affected populace.... That man is pure evil and heartless. His fulanization agenda is priority and top of his agenda..

To return this country to its former glory is simply by cutting the head of the snake.. if you know you know...

31 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Police Arrest 84 Notorious Criminals, Foil Kidnap Of Catholic Priest In Zaria / Ibrahim Babangida Celebrates His 77th Birthday Today / IDP Camp Couples Share Their Love Stories (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.